Evgeny Kuznetsov Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halpysback*

And using it as an excuse to explain a poor career decision is weak. It's not like he'd be starving the NHL.

You wouldn't be starving working a $15 an hour job instead of whatever you make but I highly doubt you'd go for it.

Using hindsight on everything is pretty weak as well, especially since we don't have the benefit of knowing how he'd have been doing in the NHL. Most likely he still wouldn't be as well off in the end.

Again, they chase pieces of rubber.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You wouldn't be starving working a $15 an hour job instead of whatever you make but I highly doubt you'd go for it.

Using hindsight on everything is pretty weak as well, especially since we don't have the benefit of knowing how he'd have been doing in the NHL. Most likely he still wouldn't be as well off in the end.

Again, they chase pieces of rubber.

Not using hindsight. I've disagreed with the decision from day 1. That's called foresight. Hindsight has just validated what some of us feared, that it was at best a questionable decision, at worst it cost him his Olympic spot and delayed his potentially huge 2nd NHL deal.

Who cares though at this point. You guys can keep trying to defend a poor decision I don't care. Just get here kid and start your millionaire dream job already.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Oh you mean realists?

Pretty sure he's talking about the same type of fans who cut Semin undue slack all those years with no desire for accountability because they're overly enamored and blinded by their fandom for the player, that they struggle to see things objectively.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Also I think we are overlooking the KHL playoffs factor. Traktor was on the rise at the time and they were spending much to get to the top. Kuz signed partially to help his hometown win the Gagarin Cup.

And he helped to get to the Final. This is well documented. And this is a positive experience. And competitive atmosphere.

Now Traktor has some problems and falling down. Kuz has enough exp about it all: injuries, playoffs, international play, opportunities and the need to seize them. And has some cash also.

Everything is ok to do the next step. If he still can.

PS: I was against him signing with Traktor too.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Pretty sure he's talking about the same type of fans who cut Semin undue slack all those years with no desire for accountability because they're overly enamored and blinded by their fandom for the player, that they struggle to see things objectively.

Yeah things would have been so different if that hadn't been the case. Imagine the uproar if the 10's of fans had demanded more...?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's all good, I don't care honestly. Put up or shut up time soon enough thankfully. Excited to get him here, praying he's not terribly overhyped at this point.

Halpysback*

Yeah, if only more fans were harder on Semin. Then we could have booted him even earlier and enjoyed this post-Semin era in all its glory years in advance :sarcasm:

Or maybe he's talking about the type of fans who bought the leadership of men bs hook line and sinker.

Halpysback*

Not using hindsight. I've disagreed with the decision from day 1. That's called foresight. Hindsight has just validated what some of us feared, that it was at best a questionable decision, at worst it cost him his Olympic spot and delayed his potentially huge 2nd NHL deal.

Who cares though at this point. You guys can keep trying to defend a poor decision I don't care. Just get here kid and start your millionaire dream job already.

Except his KHL deal is bigger than any 2nd NHL deal could have been (unless you think he'd be making Crosby money) and set him up for life. And that's not even taking into account the potential of his career crashing and him being unable to make any substantial money, KHL or NHL.

What you call foresight pretty much amounts to atrocious risk and money management.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
It's all good, I don't care honestly. Put up or shut up time soon enough thankfully. Excited to get him here, praying he's not terribly overhyped at this point.

I do think we need to lower our immediate expectations, myself included. Even if he is the real deal, it will take some time to get acclimated to the North American game.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I saw the tweet from Christmas day, https://twitter.com/Kuzya92/status/415956686411923456/photo/1, I wonder how his knee is? He is still not playing.

I also noticed Traktor is not making the playoffs and the season is 10 games from being over. I wonder what the timetable is and how healthy he is.

I feel like he played it smart. Every shift could be his last in this sport. Take the big bucks from the KHL. Build a nice cushion and move on. Now that he is set can risk it playing for less in the NHL. And hope to cash in again down the road.

Yep! Who wouldn't do the exact same thing? I certainly would. We (and the GM's) are so used to the players being 'desperate' so to speak that when someone comes along who thinks for himself and about his future most criticize. I think it says a lot about the type of MAN Kuznetsov is that he made these decisions at such a young age.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Traktor is still hanging onto the last playoff spot but I'd really consider Strasburging him in the spring so that he's healthy and able to really bulk up in the off-season.

Fehr has eventually overcome his gimpy shoulders and certainly there's a temptation to rely on him to be an X Factor this year but for the long-term good I'd wait to integrate him into the lineup until next season. Not sure he would be more than an experimental 4LW this year (if healthy) anyway.

Interestingly, Traktor's last regular season game (3/4) is the day before the trade deadline.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Traktor is still hanging onto the last playoff spot but I'd really consider Strasburging him in the spring so that he's healthy and able to really bulk up in the off-season.

Fehr has eventually overcome his gimpy shoulders and certainly there's a temptation to rely on him to be an X Factor this year but for the long-term good I'd wait to integrate him into the lineup until next season. Not sure he would be more than an experimental 4LW this year (if healthy) anyway.

Interestingly, Traktor's last regular season game (3/4) is the day before the trade deadline.

I'd rather see him come over this year and get used to the NA game, at least to some extent, with some soft minutes, and get him more familiar with the team and the coaching staff heading into next year. It would benefit the team heading into the offseason to have an idea of what he can do in the NHL as well, and I'm sure it would make Kuz happy to burn a year off of his ELC.

Plus, you know, the wingers on this team other than Ovechkin pretty much suck.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Plus, you know, the wingers on this team other than Ovechkin pretty much suck.
True. I'm just not sure how quick the transition will be for him and whether they can realistically count on him to step in and play top six minutes. I'd love to see what Kuznetsov could do to the left of Backstrom (on a different line than Ovechkin) but I wouldn't be surprised if he's initially the 4LW+some shifts in the top six and PP time. Fundamentally it's not much different a situation than it would have been a couple years ago.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
True. I'm just not sure how quick the transition will be for him and whether they can realistically count on him to step in and play top six minutes. I'd love to see what Kuznetsov could do to the left of Backstrom (on a different line than Ovechkin) but I wouldn't be surprised if he's initially the 4LW+some shifts in the top six and PP time. Fundamentally it's not much different a situation than it would have been a couple years ago.

I'd be really surprised to see him on the 4. Wilson on 4 plays to his overall game. He is a hitter that has an offensive upside. without the offensive chances you can still see his game. what is kuznetsov going to get skating up and down the LW on a dump and chase. line?

pretty sure that he is playing 1 or 2LW if he is playing. i suppose i could even see 3LW if the 3C is 90.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Except his KHL deal is bigger than any 2nd NHL deal could have been (unless you think he'd be making Crosby money) and set him up for life. And that's not even taking into account the potential of his career crashing and him being unable to make any substantial money, KHL or NHL.

What you call foresight pretty much amounts to atrocious risk and money management.

I think it's fair to say you have no clue on the subject of risk and $ management nor do you have a crystal ball showing you how he would have done or the 2nd contract he'd be negotiating right now. Move on Semin lover. Nobody cares.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I do think we need to lower our immediate expectations, myself included. Even if he is the real deal, it will take some time to get acclimated to the North American game.

Agreed, or he's likely going to disappoint badly. Hopefully he's a real elite talent and it shows immediately. Work ethic and acclimation to the NA game are going to be the two most scrutinized things early with him IMO. Hope he holds up.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'd be really surprised to see him on the 4. Wilson on 4 plays to his overall game. He is a hitter that has an offensive upside. without the offensive chances you can still see his game. what is kuznetsov going to get skating up and down the LW on a dump and chase. line?

pretty sure that he is playing 1 or 2LW if he is playing. i suppose i could even see 3LW if the 3C is 90.

Agreed.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd be really surprised to see him on the 4. Wilson on 4 plays to his overall game.
Sheer physicality is more like it. Whatever offensive upside he has we really haven't seen much of it this season.

Initially is the key word. They had Erat at 4LW for a while and Laich has played there and 4C so it doesn't (and shouldn't be) a pure grind line. It's not that EK is suited to stick there so much as it's a temporary option while he gets acclimated. It's a half measure in some respects but given their shoddy practice habits and his playing style I'm not sure he's going to be ready for 14+ minutes from the start. His battle level has long been an issue and in the smaller rink that's only going to be magnified. No question they can use his skill and hockey sense but the same could be said about Erat. I don't get what they're trying to do up front and system-wide on a fundamental level to begin with so in the short-term I tend to slot an inexperienced NHL talent like Kuznetsov with as conservative a mindset as possible. That largely seems to be how Oates thinks (or at least operates).

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If you are going to give hom at least some minutes in the roster + PP time maybe... it will be evident very soon that he is not Laich / Brouwer in the offense. And he will get in top-6 very soon. Until the next injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad