Speculation: Every NHL Team's Best Free Agent Signing In History

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
As mentioned above, definitely Belfour and Hull for the Stars. Some have also said Pat Verbeek was a shrewd get on Bob Gainey's behalf as that kind of started the ball rolling with Dallas as a destination and I'd have to agree.

Jagr was a pretty good move years later. Otherwise, hard to find too many signings that jump out in a positive light over the years.

Alex Radulov?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
If we're just talking who helped the team most, Ed Belfour.

The answer for the Maple Leafs is pretty easy, and it's definitely not Ed Belfour.

By a long shot, the Leafs best free agent signing is Borje Salming. The guy was a key part of their blueline for over fifteen years and had a Hall of Fame career in the Blue and White. There is nobody even close to Salming in terms of free agent signings for Toronto.

Reactions: Joel Ward

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
How is Curtis Joseph more successful than Felix Potvin? Potvin backstopped the Leafs to back to back conference finals.

Joseph had 60 playoff appearances in 4 seasons as a Leaf, with 32 of them becoming victories, 28 becoming losses, including two trips to the conference finals and 8 shutouts.

Potvin had 52 playoff appearances in 6 seasons as a Leaf, with 25 of them becoming victories, 27 becoming losses, including two trips to the conference finals and 5 shutouts.

I don't like comparing sv% for different years because for example 2002 was vastly different than 1994, but Joseph had a .919 sv% and 2.25 GAA in the playoffs as a Leaf, while Potvin had a .909 sv% and 2.75 GAA

Joseph was the more successful goalie in Toronto.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Joseph had 60 playoff appearances in 4 seasons as a Leaf, with 32 of them becoming victories, 28 becoming losses, including two trips to the conference finals and 8 shutouts.

Potvin had 52 playoff appearances in 6 seasons as a Leaf, with 25 of them becoming victories, 27 becoming losses, including two trips to the conference finals and 5 shutouts.

I don't like comparing sv% for different years because for example 2002 was vastly different than 1994, but Joseph had a .919 sv% and 2.25 GAA in the playoffs as a Leaf, while Potvin had a .909 sv% and 2.75 GAA

Joseph was the more successful goalie in Toronto.

Seems pretty even to me.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Seems pretty even to me.

I’m not sure how. Joseph had more GP and W than Potvin in 2 less seasons.

It’s a fact that Joseph has been the most successful Leaf goalie since Sawchuk/Bower.

Potvin is close, but Joseph is still ahead

Remington 700

Jul 11, 2007
South Park, PA
For the Pens the most significant signing was probably Gonchar. Helped bring a cup to the org, and mentored a young D corps for years. Now him and Jacques Martin appear to have developed some Jedi mind trick on undervalued D men so he’s still paying dividends off the ice.

They also signed Straka and Lang to cheap deals but those were not really “franchise altering”, more just good value signings that paid off.

That was a trade, a post lockout one to boot

I could be wrong but wasn’t Lang a waiver claim?

Edit: Apparently he was both.

• 1997-Sep-03 Signed by Pittsburgh Penguins
  • 1997-Sep-28 Claimed off waivers by Boston Bruins from Pittsburgh Penguins
  • 1997-Oct-25 Claimed off waivers by Pittsburgh Penguins from Boston Bruins

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
It’s not the sexy choice, but it’s gotta be Willie Mitchell for the Kings. Signed in 2010-11, he was one of the key pieces of the Kings winning the cup in 2012 and 2014. I don’t think the Kings win either cup without him. So underrated.
That's a great pick. Probably exactly the kind that the OP was looking for. A relatively insignificant signing that pays big dividends. Almost happened with the Sharks in 2016 with Martin. He helped Burns become the monster we know, especially during the run to the finals.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Murphy or rafalski both solidified defenses that won cups.

Actually i think murphy was a trade. Its been a long ass time. So I'll go rafalski.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Murphy or rafalski both solidified defenses that won cups.

Actually i think murphy was a trade. Its been a long ass time. So I'll go rafalski.

Yea, Murphy was a deadline trade.

Murphy was basically gifted to the Wings for future considerations.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Huet is an odd choice, as he was terrible with the Hawks.

Anti Panarim is a good choice as well as Hossa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad