Speculation: Every NHL Team's Best Free Agent Signing In History

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
in terms of best value, Clarke MacArthur for the Leafs, for sure. $1.1MM, 60 points, great play driver. Randy decided to stop using him for uhh no reason in particular. Joe Nieuwendyk also had a great year for $1.5MM.

If we're just talking who helped the team most, Ed Belfour. He stole that series against the Senators, pretty much singlehandedly. There have been a surprisingly large number of good UFA signings - I'm happy with how Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Kubina, Blake, Mogilny, Joseph, Thomas, and Beauchemin worked out. There were some nice smaller signings, Shayne Corson, Tom Fitzgerald, Daniel Winnik, P.A. Pareanteau, Mike Santorelli, Mason Raymond, Jay McClement, and Nik Hagman were all more or less successes. I liked Colby Armstrong, but he fell apart physically and couldn't really accomplish a lot. Mike Komisarek actually put up some not-awful possession numbers when he wasn't hurt, too. And, of course, Patrick Marleau has been great so far.

Reactions: uncleben85

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
One of Perreault, Cammalleri or Gionta for Montreal, IF Alex Kovalev doesn't fit the bill (I don't remember if he signed before or after the 04-05 lockout); if he signed after the lockout, but before the 05-06 season, then he's by far the best Habs Free Agent.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Buffalo’s is like...Dixon Ward.

I’m going to go have a cry

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Dave Poulin was signed as a free agent out of college too. They got Kerr, Poulin, Sinisalo and Flockhart all as F.As in a span of like 3 years.

Flockhart was absolutely AMAZING until his knees got taken out (I take my name from Gene Hart tagging "Flocky hockey"). Most Flyers fans aren't old enough to remember all of them but I do. Good jobs saving me the time to post them, thank you sir

Reactions: CanuckistanFlyerfan

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
For the Sens sadly its Macarther,and Hasek,both of whom just couldnt stay healthy...Very good players when they played however
Craig Anderson was "kind of" a free agent signing. Yeah - they traded for him, but he was a pending UFA and won the job with a handful of games at the end of a dead season.

A few others ...

Tugnutt was signed as a free agent - though not a UFA. He was signed to an RFA offer sheet.
Gonchar was good in those first two years
Todd White was a good player in his peak. Not a star but back-to-back 20 goal seasons with 50 and 60 points is not too shabby for a guy who wasn't given a qualifying offer by his former team.
Kuba was a magnet for fan criticism, but he was a good partner for a young Karlsson

Reactions: topshelf15

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
This saddest thing is this might be the best answer. Even other ones that maybe tied or close to streit aren’t overwhelming. Peca?

I’d probably go with Matt Moulson.
Peca for sure. He won a Selke and got Hart votes his first year here.

I'd also mention maybe Halak if he counts (traded for his rights) or even Greiss maybe. They probably don't beat Florida without Greiss in net.

Reactions: SI90

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
in terms of best value, Clarke MacArthur for the Leafs, for sure. $1.1MM, 60 points, great play driver. Randy decided to stop using him for uhh no reason in particular. Joe Nieuwendyk also had a great year for $1.5MM.

If we're just talking who helped the team most, Ed Belfour. He stole that series against the Senators, pretty much singlehandedly. There have been a surprisingly large number of good UFA signings - I'm happy with how Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Kubina, Blake, Mogilny, Joseph, Thomas, and Beauchemin worked out. There were some nice smaller signings, Shayne Corson, Tom Fitzgerald, Daniel Winnik, P.A. Pareanteau, Mike Santorelli, Mason Raymond, Jay McClement, and Nik Hagman were all more or less successes. I liked Colby Armstrong, but he fell apart physically and couldn't really accomplish a lot. Mike Komisarek actually put up some not-awful possession numbers when he wasn't hurt, too. And, of course, Patrick Marleau has been great so far.

I'm not saying you are wrong but when your team is 100 years old this is a tough one to answer. It would probably take some research. If we are thinking modern he was a good one, I also liked Mogilny a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad