Speculation: Every NHL Team's Best Free Agent Signing In History

Feb 24, 2017
He was traded for the first time and set the organization back well over a decade plus the second time.

It can easily be argued that that Rangers would have won more Cups without him.
You know, I didn’t feel good about messier being a ufa signing the first time but I got lazy and failed to google.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
You include Hainsey, Robidas and Blake but you leave out Curtis Joseph, Alexander Mogilny and Shayne Corson?

cujo wasnt that old at 31, plus was a long time ago, alex once again 32 not that old, corson sure i guess.

some of the other guys on the list are
38, 36 ,39, 37 etc

only "young" guy on the list was lindros and thats only cause it was his 2nd last season ever.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
For the Rangers, it's probably Gomez, honestly.

We turned him into a #1D then traded that #1D for a haul.
And Gomez was good here, honestly.

Started to suck when he got to Montreal.

You can pin Redden and Drury on us, but Gomez is Montreal's baggage. Not my fault.

Reactions: AmericanDream

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Hard to say for Anaheim. Our goalie, top 4 defense, and top 9 forwards are all drafted and developed by us except for Kesler, Henrique, Silfverberg, and Cogliano who were all traded for.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
For Canucks, the Hamhuis was pretty good in terms of post-lockout. Willie Mitchell too. Can't think of many other great acquisitions by the Canucks. Trades and drafts brought in the best Canucks.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Hard to say for Anaheim. Our goalie, top 4 defense, and top 9 forwards are all drafted and developed by us except for Kesler, Henrique, Silfverberg, and Cogliano who were all traded for.

It says "in history" and i thought mods should be able to read and evaluate it properly(sly joke, sorry)

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
In the short history of the Jets, definitely Mathieu Perreault. Anaheim inexplicably discarded him, and we ended up with a very solid forward as a result (and later extended him).

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
For Edmonton I want to say Letesnu.
I hoenstly can't remember all that many solid UFA's coming to Edmonton.
Over the years they made some decent trades that brought in great youngsters and able players... but when you think of what we got out of him in the first few years of that contract that's gotta be up there.

I know that sounds so noobish. I've been watching since the 80's.... but nothing is really coming to mind. lol

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
He was traded for the first time and set the organization back well over a decade plus the second time.

It can easily be argued that that Rangers would have won more Cups without him.
Post Vancouver Messier was a waste of time. I do not see a logical argument to the idea that they would have won more without him though.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I know that sounds so noobish. I've been watching since the 80's.... but nothing is really coming to mind. lol

Yeah, there really aren't that many good FA signings by the oilers. Sekera looked good before injury. Sheldon Souray maybe? But even then, injury problems and a disagreement with the team really sewered the end of his time as an oiler.

There's certainly been a whole lot more "meh": Khabibulin, Pouliot, Ference, Lucic, Nikitin

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
In the last 7-8 years Rangers have made some nice UFA signings that worked out for us in one way or another.

Just a couple I can think of this early on a Sunday morning...

Marian Gaborik
Mats Zuccarello
Kevin Hayes
Michael Grabner

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
For the Flyers, probably Tim Kerr. Something more modern would be Danny Briere. Most of our other FA signings haven't been home runs, but those two were far and away the best.

Dave Poulin was signed as a free agent out of college too. They got Kerr, Poulin, Sinisalo and Flockhart all as F.As in a span of like 3 years.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
For the Pens I'll say John Cullen, who had 2 2/3 very productive seasons with the Pens before being the primary piece going Hartford's way in the Francis/Samuelsson deal.

Gonchar in the cap era.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
For the Sens sadly its Macarther,and Hasek,both of whom just couldnt stay healthy...Very good players when they played however

Reactions: Altimus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad