Speculation: Every NHL Team's Best Free Agent Signing In History

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
in terms of best value, Clarke MacArthur for the Leafs, for sure. $1.1MM, 60 points, great play driver. Randy decided to stop using him for uhh no reason in particular. Joe Nieuwendyk also had a great year for $1.5MM.

If we're just talking who helped the team most, Ed Belfour. He stole that series against the Senators, pretty much singlehandedly. There have been a surprisingly large number of good UFA signings - I'm happy with how Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Kubina, Blake, Mogilny, Joseph, Thomas, and Beauchemin worked out. There were some nice smaller signings, Shayne Corson, Tom Fitzgerald, Daniel Winnik, P.A. Pareanteau, Mike Santorelli, Mason Raymond, Jay McClement, and Nik Hagman were all more or less successes. I liked Colby Armstrong, but he fell apart physically and couldn't really accomplish a lot. Mike Komisarek actually put up some not-awful possession numbers when he wasn't hurt, too. And, of course, Patrick Marleau has been great so far.
A pretty solid list, imo

To buck the trend to from what people are talking about in this thread to, by counting college FAs, Tyler Bozak has been a real solid FA signing for us. He's not superstar, but he's right up there in terms of what you hope for when grabbing a free wallet from college.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I guess James Wisniewski from the Jackets. He was solid for a long time and brought back a good return when traded.

Reactions: Fro

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
As much as it pains me to write this, I have to say Paul Kariya for St. Louis. I always thought he was overrated and over-hyped, (the hype on the now defunct forum on the Official Blues Site reached a level that can only be described as pure hysteria!), and he was ultimately a disappointment. HOWEVER ... he did fill a lot of empty seats at a time when we really, really, needed it. I can't deny or take away from that.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoarBacon

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
What about Selänne?

Technically Selanne was a UFA signing as well.

Crazy enough, I forgot about Teemu signing here after we stupidly traded him. I always forget that he did re-sign here as a free agent. I still think Niedermayer is definitely the most important ever. Selanne was amazing when he came back. However, I think the day Nieds signed with us was the biggest impact of a free agent on this franchises's history.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
A pretty solid list, imo

To buck the trend to from what people are talking about in this thread to, by counting college FAs, Tyler Bozak has been a real solid FA signing for us. He's not superstar, but he's right up there in terms of what you hope for when grabbing a free wallet from college.

I second Bozak for the Leafs. Incredibly underrated throughout his entire career.

581gp and all for the Leafs. Has there been another free agent signed by Toronto that came anywhere close to that many games played?

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
It’s funny that one person could be so beneficial to one team and so damaging to another within the same few years.

Messier, best signing in rangers history and worst in Canucks history.

Short term, it was terrible in that it destroyed the team chemistry. But long term , it turned out to be a great trade. It resulted in the team tanking and Bure and Linden trades which netted the Canucks Ed Jovanoski, Todd Bertuzzi (who was later traded for Roberto Luongo) and, indirectly, the Sedin twins (one via a high draft pick the team got for sucking so badly, the other with a draft pick acquired by trading Bryan McCabe who the Nucks got in the Linden/Bertuzzi trade).

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
For the Leafs, I’d argue it was Curtis Joseph.

Not only did he help bring success to Toronto (most successful Leaf goalie since the 60’s) but he also helped bring this team out of a dark period under Stavro where he wasn’t investing in the team anymore (the past couple seasons the Leafs were selling off contracts and turned down a Gretzky contract... some even speculated about Sundin being traded)

CuJo signed and helped carry the Leafs to the conference finals. Stavro got a bunch of playoff revenue, realized the team was more valuable when it was winning, and it led to the Leafs bringing in a ton of players between 2000 and 2004 to help maintain the success. (Though Stavro sold the team in 2003)

It’s arguable that Mogilny, Roberts, Belfour, Nieuwendyk, etc don’t get brought in, if Joseph didn’t sign with us.

Of the cap era, it’s obviously Tyler Bozak. Though depending on what happens in the next 2.25 seasons, Marleau could become that.

Reactions: Kelly

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
It’s not the sexy choice, but it’s gotta be Willie Mitchell for the Kings. Signed in 2010-11, he was one of the key pieces of the Kings winning the cup in 2012 and 2014. I don’t think the Kings win either cup without him. So underrated.
Or you could say Demitra(RIP) who turned into O'Sullivan who turned into Williams. Aside from him and Mitchell it's slim pickens in L.A. as far as free agents go.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Can't remember any game changers signing in Edmonton, we've spent most of our existence being unable to afford our star players, so signing free agents to support them was never an option until recently. Since then, few decent players wanted to sign with the Oilers because, well, we stink most years. People laugh when they say Lucic, but if he rebounds and this becomes his down year and he gives us 3 or 4 years like last year, then it could actually realistically be him. Sadly.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I second Bozak for the Leafs. Incredibly underrated throughout his entire career.

581gp and all for the Leafs. Has there been another free agent signed by Toronto that came anywhere close to that many games played?
He's 21st all-time in points by an undrafted college signing, 42nd for an undrafted signing

There are 13 guys from the pre-entry draft era that technically all signed as UFAs and went and played more Leafs games than Bozak has - but really everyone at that time signed as a UFA to start.

Post-entry draft there is only one:

Borje Salming.

Last edited:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
For the Red Wings, I would say Brian Rafalski.

Had 204 pts in 292 games. He was stellar with Lidstrom in getting the Stanley Cup in 2008.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
As mentioned above, definitely Belfour and Hull for the Stars. Some have also said Pat Verbeek was a shrewd get on Bob Gainey's behalf as that kind of started the ball rolling with Dallas as a destination and I'd have to agree.

Jagr was a pretty good move years later. Otherwise, hard to find too many signings that jump out in a positive light over the years.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
For the Leafs, I’d argue it was Curtis Joseph.

Not only did he help bring success to Toronto (most successful Leaf goalie since the 60’s) .

How is Curtis Joseph more successful than Felix Potvin? Potvin backstopped the Leafs to back to back conference finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad