Speculation: Every NHL Team's Best Free Agent Signing In History

Reeps

Jul 27, 2017
Hi everyone. For your favorite team, what is the best free agent signing they have ever made? Not including re-signing, only open free agency. Whether it's based on production, value, or team success, share your team, the player you believe, and why...

I'll start with the Tampa Bay Lightning: Martin St. Louis in 2000, signed as a UFA after Calgary bought out his contract.

The best answers I believe are ones that would be FRANCHISE ALTERING moves, aka Chara to Boston or MSL to Tampa. Please share deals like that you can remember !!

Reactions: FameFlame069

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
For the Pens the most significant signing was probably Gonchar. Helped bring a cup to the org, and mentored a young D corps for years. Now him and Jacques Martin appear to have developed some Jedi mind trick on undervalued D men so he’s still paying dividends off the ice.

They also signed Straka and Lang to cheap deals but those were not really “franchise altering”, more just good value signings that paid off.

I do not Remember how Oilers got Progner but That Was A Good Move .

That was a trade, a post lockout one to boot

Last edited:
Reactions: Tweed and iSophagus

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
leafs have a penchant for trading/ signing old timers, here are the "big" signings of the last 2 decades, just something interesting to share.

marleau
hainsey
robidas
blake
nieuwendyk
roberts
lindros
belfour

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Hi everyone. For your favorite team, what is the best free agent signing they have ever made? Not including re-signing, only open free agency. Whether it's based on production, value, or team success, share your team, the player you believe, and why...

I'll start with the Tampa Bay Lightning: Martin St. Louis in 2000, signed as a UFA after Calgary bought out his contract.

The best answers I believe are ones that would be FRANCHISE ALTERING moves, aka Chara to Boston or MSL to Tampa. Please share deals like that you can remember !!

Well honestly thinking, I can't remember the last good UFA signing the Flames had, does Giordano count? He was undrafted and signed? Probably the most recent, I can't think of many others off the top of my head

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
It’s not the sexy choice, but it’s gotta be Willie Mitchell for the Kings. Signed in 2010-11, he was one of the key pieces of the Kings winning the cup in 2012 and 2014. I don’t think the Kings win either cup without him. So underrated.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Devils have had some UFA acquisitions look bad at the end of their deals -- Rolston, Volchenkov, Tallinder, Cammalleri.

Zubrus was the lone exception to that with his six year 3.4 AAV he signed. He was a solid player for that entire deal; he didn't really fall off until the next three year extension.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
leafs have a penchant for trading/ signing old timers, here are the "big" signings of the last 2 decades, just something interesting to share.

marleau
hainsey
robidas
blake
nieuwendyk
roberts
lindros
belfour

You include Hainsey, Robidas and Blake but you leave out Curtis Joseph, Alexander Mogilny and Shayne Corson?

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
It’s funny that one person could be so beneficial to one team and so damaging to another within the same few years.

Messier, best signing in rangers history and worst in Canucks history.

He was traded for the first time and set the organization back well over a decade plus the second time.

It can easily be argued that that Rangers would have won more Cups without him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad