Speculation: Every NHL Team's Best Free Agent Signing In History

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
How many cups has Chara given you?

..."best UFA signing of all time". That's cute.

and a decade of being the most physically dominant and one of the 2-3 best defenders in the league.

what have your UFA signings given you?

and "thats cute".....I remember my 1st time on the internet

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
The answer for the Maple Leafs is pretty easy, and it's definitely not Ed Belfour.

By a long shot, the Leafs best free agent signing is Borje Salming. The guy was a key part of their blueline for over fifteen years and had a Hall of Fame career in the Blue and White. There is nobody even close to Salming in terms of free agent signings for Toronto.

I don't think we can really count undrafted FAs vs UFAs. It's an entirely different thing. I mean, if we do that, then isn't it like, Charlie Conacher?

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
I'm not saying you are wrong but when your team is 100 years old this is a tough one to answer. It would probably take some research. If we are thinking modern he was a good one, I also liked Mogilny a lot.

I think this has to be just unrestricted free agents and not like, undrafted guys. The modern UFA system is like, less than 25 years old.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017

and a decade of being the most physically dominant and one of the 2-3 best defenders in the league.

what have your UFA signings given you?

and "thats cute".....I remember my 1st time on the internet
Martin St Louis. Nuff said.

Weird that the best FA signing in the history of the NHL only got you one cup!

Here's hoping you make it to the second round so we can slam you and Chara right out of the playoffs. ;) Hell, I hope you take the first seed so that we play Toronto. Wouldn't want Toronto to squeak a stealth win past you.

Reactions: Kelly

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I guess James Wisniewski from the Jackets. He was solid for a long time and brought back a good return when traded.

My first thought too but technically... the team traded for his rights and then signed him to a contract. So I don't know if that counts even though it's nitpicking.

Kristian Huselius I think was in Cbus the longest and was certainly the most productive. Vinny Prospal was a veteran signing who was productive but more importantly helped set an important tone for the franchise.

Last edited:

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Hard to say for Anaheim. Our goalie, top 4 defense, and top 9 forwards are all drafted and developed by us except for Kesler, Henrique, Silfverberg, and Cogliano who were all traded for.

Scott Niedermayer?

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath

Here's hoping you make it to the second round so we can slam you and Chara right out of the playoffs. ;) Hell, I hope you take the first seed so that we play Toronto. Wouldn't want Toronto to squeak a stealth win past you.

I'm not saying your wrong or right but....MSL only got one cup too?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Avs - In terms of name recognition and career accomplishments, it's probably a tie between Kariya and Selanne, assuming Forsberg signing two UFA contracts to play 11 total games at the end of his career doesn't count.

In terms of what they did on ice, Andrew Brunette is probably the right answer. He was very solid with Sakic for a couple of years, after the rest of the core was dismantled.

The General

Mar 11, 2018
Hard to say for Anaheim. Our goalie, top 4 defense, and top 9 forwards are all drafted and developed by us except for Kesler, Henrique, Silfverberg, and Cogliano who were all traded for.

Didn't the Ducks sign Teemu Selanne as a free agent after the lockout?

Alan Wake

Dec 14, 2017
Do you see me saying as much? Or accusing you of anything?

But you're very good at sarcasm, well done...... (am I doing it right?)
Perhaps I doubted that you were wise enough to know that I was hinting that the person who was making that claim about their UFA signing might be a bit ridiculous?

Sorry for making you think so hard.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Perhaps I doubted that you were wise enough to know that I was hinting that the person who was making that claim about their UFA signing might be a bit ridiculous?

Sorry for making you think so hard.

For the record a guys who's still playing for said team after a decade (consisting of a cup win, another finals and a presidents trophy) in his 40's still logging twenty-something minutes a night on a contender definitely deserves to be in the conversation for best UFA ever, I don't see the ridiculousness at all.

Well, at least not from that guy

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Didn't St. Louis also only bring 1 cup? At least Chara has another finals.

Alan Wake

Dec 14, 2017
Didn't St. Louis also only bring 1 cup? At least Chara has another finals.
And in 2011, Martin St. Louis' Bolts beat the Penguins, Capitals, and lost to the eventual Stanley Cup Champion Bruins (his only cup in Boston) in 7 games.

I think this is where I take my leave. I'm not a fan of pissing contests.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Anaheim: Scott Niedermayer
Arizona:
Boston: Zdeno Chara
Buffalo:
Calgary:
Carolina: Ron Francis
Chicago: Ed Belfour
Colorado/Quebec: Peter Stastny
Columbus:
Dallas: Ed Belfour