Value of: Evander Kane in Free Agency

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
And yet he’s only worth a 2nd......seems to be a disonnect with what you’re trying to sell. Tatar got unconditional 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Keep pretending GMs don’t see red flags.
And a good prospect that’s won rookie of the year in the AHL and another conditional pick. As a rental.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Short sample size for the sharks but so far he has great chemistry with his line mates and has no problem dishing them the puck.

He has skills, no doubt. I was one who missed him when the Jets traded him. Great forechecker and good PK'er. Very effective physically. His scoring is very streaky though. On a better, deeper team he might perform better too.

But he is a jerk ..... to put it kindly. He claims to have matured. But he still claims that his problems in Wpg were a result of racism. Not that there isn't any racism in Wpg but ask Milt Stegall about it, or Dustin Byfuglien. :laugh: It was Buff who precipitated his departure from Wpg, so yeah ..... racism.

If he has, in fact grown up, he will be a good player for some team. But signing him long term is very risky.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Kane's an interesting player - he's a decent goalscorer and a volume shooter. Really athletic - fast and strong. He kind of does it on his own. Doesn't seem to matter if his teammates are good or bad, he uses speed to gain the zone and fire off lots of shots. Good forechecker and PKer...not a very good playmaker or on the power play.

He does have some baggage though. Didn't get along in the locker room with the Jets, seemed to piss off some Sabres at the end of his tenure there. He's had some other off-ice issues too. But he's certainly a useful player and there will be interested GMs. I don't know if Vegas is the perfect fit or whether it would turn into a disaster for him...I like to think he's got his head on straight enough to handle it.

I agree with those saying he doesn't get big term. $6M x 3 would make sense I think.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Because as a player he isn't very good and very inconsistent, as a teammate he is a pain in the ass and as a person he is a complete scumbag.

I can't think of many players that have had that combination but have gone on to have a ton of success.

Guys who don't help the team on or off the ice but expect to be paid a ton of money aren't really part of winning teams.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If a team has confidence in their leaders, signing Kane won't be a problem. Those that don't have confidence in their leaders will probably view Kane as a risk. I think that's pretty much the rub here. There are plenty of teammates over time that are pains in the ass but if they help you win, which Kane definitely can in the right situation, you can make it work. Chances are Kane won't be a Shark beyond this season and if that's the case, so be it. If he signs somewhere that has a strong group of leaders, I think he'll be just fine because I think people exaggerate how his attitude actually affects his teammates. I mean if a guy like Joe Thornton will vouch for him, he can't be that bad.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Not going anywhere with a hockey culture for sure. Needs to be in a big hip hop kinda town according to him!

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Kane isn't a player that smart GMs invest in long term.
He'll get a good pay day (likely 4-6 mil per) but I doubt he'll get more than 2-3 years at a time.
He's got a long road to building trust around the league IMO

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
If a team has confidence in their leaders, signing Kane won't be a problem. Those that don't have confidence in their leaders will probably view Kane as a risk. I think that's pretty much the rub here. There are plenty of teammates over time that are pains in the ass but if they help you win, which Kane definitely can in the right situation, you can make it work. Chances are Kane won't be a Shark beyond this season and if that's the case, so be it. If he signs somewhere that has a strong group of leaders, I think he'll be just fine because I think people exaggerate how his attitude actually affects his teammates. I mean if a guy like Joe Thornton will vouch for him, he can't be that bad.

Jumbo is a leader and Kane is in the honeymoon period. Anything said publicly, now, is meaningless.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Kane's an interesting player - he's a decent goalscorer and a volume shooter. Really athletic - fast and strong. He kind of does it on his own. Doesn't seem to matter if his teammates are good or bad, he uses speed to gain the zone and fire off lots of shots. Good forechecker and PKer...not a very good playmaker or on the power play.

He does have some baggage though. Didn't get along in the locker room with the Jets, seemed to piss off some Sabres at the end of his tenure there. He's had some other off-ice issues too. But he's certainly a useful player and there will be interested GMs. I don't know if Vegas is the perfect fit or whether it would turn into a disaster for him...I like to think he's got his head on straight enough to handle it.

I agree with those saying he doesn't get big term. $6M x 3 would make sense I think.

Who is it that he pissed off on the Sabres? He had words with Justin Falk during a practice after Falk had hit both him and Jordan Nolan with highsticks during drills and both agreed that it was a heat of the moment thing. Nobody else has had anything negative to say about the guy. So... who?

Reactions: Mimsy

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
My point still stands. Joe would not go public with anything now, if ever.

What point still stands? Jumbo hasn't said anything publicly. It was that their GM asked the leadership group about Kane and whether it would work and they went to bat for him. Among the players, he is not the pariah that a bunch of fans with very little information overall make it out to be.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
What point still stands? Jumbo hasn't said anything publicly. It was that their GM asked the leadership group about Kane and whether it would work and they went to bat for him. Among the players, he is not the pariah that a bunch of fans with very little information overall make it out to be.
The point that Joe is a leader and he wouldn’t speak out now even if he had cause to. It’s really not a difficult concept to grasp. But given you won’t even acknowledge Kane calling in hungover this year I’m not surprised you missed my point.

By all means please sign him.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
I think the Sharks will try to give him a bridge deal, I don't think he is going to take it. He's probably going to whoever pays him the most.

Reactions: Devonator

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I think the Sharks will try to give him a bridge deal, I don't think he is going to take it. He's probably going to whoever pays him the most.
I think he wants to sign with a decent team, he’s been on trashers, jets and sabres before the sharks.
Money will be a huge part but I don’t think he will sign with a bottom feeder.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The point that Joe is a leader and he wouldn’t speak out now even if he had cause to. It’s really not a difficult concept to grasp. But given you won’t even acknowledge Kane calling in hungover this year I’m not surprised you missed my point.

By all means please sign him.

It's more like you just don't get it. This is pointing out a private conversation between the GM and his leadership group of players asking about Kane. That is an opportunity for all involved to voice their displeasure about such a potential. If they had said no and DW did not acquire him, we wouldn't have even known that conversation took place. The only reason why this is known is because DW made it a point to reference that in an interview regarding the acquisition. As for the hangover stuff, I'm not sure what you're referencing. I know of the 2016 hangover business during the NBA All-Star weekend so if something happened this year, I'd need to see it before I can judge it. However, that kind of thing happens a lot more than people care to realize. But the point was that your point is pretty lame due to the fact that you're obviously not understanding what is being said in response since you're still making it about a public Thornton comment when it's not about that at all.

Reactions: Devonator

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It's more like you just don't get it. This is pointing out a private conversation between the GM and his leadership group of players asking about Kane. That is an opportunity for all involved to voice their displeasure about such a potential. If they had said no and DW did not acquire him, we wouldn't have even known that conversation took place. The only reason why this is known is because DW made it a point to reference that in an interview regarding the acquisition. As for the hangover stuff, I'm not sure what you're referencing. I know of the 2016 hangover business during the NBA All-Star weekend so if something happened this year, I'd need to see it before I can judge it. However, that kind of thing happens a lot more than people care to realize. But the point was that your point is pretty lame due to the fact that you're obviously not understanding what is being said in response since you're still making it about a public Thornton comment when it's not about that at all.

I get it just fine. You're not dealing in reality, so I'm done here.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I get it just fine. You're not dealing in reality, so I'm done here.

Do you? You talk about Thornton making public comments when that wasn't the substance of the post so it sounds like you're the one not dealing in reality. Why don't you re-read it and try again, kiddo?

Reactions: Mimsy

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I think he wants to sign with a decent team, he’s been on trashers, jets and sabres before the sharks.
Money will be a huge part but I don’t think he will sign with a bottom feeder.
Atlanta and Winnipeg are the same franchise, just AS Winnipeg and Arizona are as is QUE/COL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad