Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
vegas is my pick. Sharks 2nd.

KANENENEfdsfafs.jpg

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
^This.
He might get 5 mil but 2 years max, more likely 1. Teams are going to want him to demonstrate that he has grown up.

Except this isn't a restricted free agent you're dealing with here. This is someone hitting UFA and every team in the league has the resources to find out whether he has or hasn't grown up in their estimation. There's not a chance in hell that he's going to sign a contract like you're suggesting. Players of his skill and age get significantly more on their UFA deals than that. He's not taking a pay cut going into free agency and certainly not at that term. He's going to get at least 6 mil and he's going to get at least four years.

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
Most of you will be disappointed when Kane gets paid big money with term.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
He's really good, he's really young for a UFA and his game is versatile, reminds me of Rangers-era Rick Nash. Sabres top Corsi guy right after Reinhart, does more than his hockey card says.

Something like 5x5 or 6x6 unless the league knows he's an even worse dude than the public record shows

Last edited:

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
He has a lot to give if he gets his head on straight. The problem is he needs to go to a team, and coach that can get the most out of his talent. I wouldn't hate him on the Leafs at the right cost, but he also fits zero needs for us and our team doesn't have the veteran support group in the locker room to absorb a mini-project like him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Except this isn't a restricted free agent you're dealing with here. This is someone hitting UFA and every team in the league has the resources to find out whether he has or hasn't grown up in their estimation. There's not a chance in hell that he's going to sign a contract like you're suggesting. Players of his skill and age get significantly more on their UFA deals than that. He's not taking a pay cut going into free agency and certainly not at that term. He's going to get at least 6 mil and he's going to get at least four years.
And that team will regret paying 6 million for a guy who has broken the 50 point mark, 1 time in 9 years.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You're talking as though he was someone else. You could be right of course but OTOH he is not in a strong bargaining position until after he actually has an offer with money and term. Any GM who gives EK9 more than 2 years will almost certainly regret it.

I disagree with the 6 mil though - at any term. Even with the rising cap and if he didn't have any baggage he isn't a 6 mil player. If he had continued this season the way he started and actually scored 30 goals he would be a 6 mil player but he has only 21 so far.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
And that team will regret paying 6 million for a guy who has broken the 50 point mark, 1 time in 9 years.

Possibly but he's going to likely break 50 points this year and that tends to influence a team that's going to pay him via UFA. That's just the business. The 6 mil mark is for a reasonable term like 3-5 years. Anything more than 5 years is probably going to bring the AAV down closer to 5.5 mil.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You're talking as though he was someone else. You could be right of course but OTOH he is not in a strong bargaining position until after he actually has an offer with money and term. Any GM who gives EK9 more than 2 years will almost certainly regret it.

I disagree with the 6 mil though - at any term. Even with the rising cap and if he didn't have any baggage he isn't a 6 mil player. If he had continued this season the way he started and actually scored 30 goals he would be a 6 mil player but he has only 21 so far.

Of course he's in a strong bargaining position. He's a prime player coming off a good season headed to UFA. People are exaggerating his off-ice issues from the past as if that's going to impact his market value. It's not going to. Those that are keeping up with him know he doesn't have baggage that would result in something like you're suggesting. Consistent 20-30 goal scorers at his age going to UFA will get paid handsomely on the open market if he chooses to go there.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Of course he's in a strong bargaining position. He's a prime player coming off a good season headed to UFA. People are exaggerating his off-ice issues from the past as if that's going to impact his market value. It's not going to. Those that are keeping up with him know he doesn't have baggage that would result in something like you're suggesting. Consistent 20-30 goal scorers at his age going to UFA will get paid handsomely on the open market if he chooses to go there.

I sincerely hope he gets that contract from SJ.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I sincerely hope he gets that contract from SJ.

I'm sure there are good odds that it could occur but the Sharks will probably wait and see what happens with Tavares before moving to Kane. The only guys I see the Sharks worrying about before the Tavares thing resolves itself is their own RFA's like Hertl, Tierney, and DeMelo. Guys that won't move their cap needle much, were going to have to sign as RFA's obviously, and could easily be moved somewhere else if they need space for whatever reason (the only reason being that they're signing Tavares for 12 mil or whatever).

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Will the Sharks really want to give up a 1st round pick though? This draft could be really good.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
He's really good, he's really young for a UFA and his game is versatile, reminds me of Rangers-era Rick Nash. Sabres top Corsi guy right after Reinhart, does more than his hockey card says.

Something like 5x5 or 6x6 unless the league knows he's an even worse dude than the public record shows

I'm not here to bash a player after he's off my team - I just want to point out this is only true because he shoots from literally everywhere, including low-percentage areas. He was better with this later in his time with the Sabres this year, but this is a case where the eye test doesn't align with the advanced stats.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Will the Sharks really want to give up a 1st round pick though? This draft could be really good.

A top 6 forward like Kane for 2-4 years is easily worth a bottom half first rounder. Especially when the difference between a 20th and 50th overall pick isn’t that massive anyways.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Possibly but he's going to likely break 50 points this year and that tends to influence a team that's going to pay him via UFA. That's just the business. The 6 mil mark is for a reasonable term like 3-5 years. Anything more than 5 years is probably going to bring the AAV down closer to 5.5 mil.
And I will go on record saying the team that gives him that, will regret it.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
And I will go on record saying the team that gives him that, will regret it.

I really doubt it. As long as he produces like he has been, he'll be fine for what the market is at this point. His character issues are not going to be an issue for pretty much any winning club.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Most of you will be disappointed when Kane gets paid big money with term.
I won't be disappointed but I really would be very surprised.

I couldn't care less what happens to Evander Kane. I just think he's a nutbar and a hockey player all rolled-up in one. He fails the IQ test to get a big, long-term contract. Too much risk.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think it does not come down to skin colour but to the way a guy acts and behaves. Kane and Buff are very different kind of guys. Kane is the young urban rap loving kid that wants to see himself on top of the world with pretty girls and a weekend life at Las Vegas while Buff spends his time fishing on a lake and feeling great in a small pond like Winnipeg. I'm a fan of this franchise since back when Kane was picked by Atlanta, I'm completely unbiased about the entire thing. I never had a specific problem with Evander Kane, the only thing I agreed on was "if he creates problems around the team - no matter for what reason or if he is to blame for or not - he must go because we're never be able to concentrate on developing a winning culture team that focuses 100% about only winning hockey games.

But as an outsider to the whole Kane/Buff/Winnpeg/not Winnipeg/racism narrative, I think it is not at all about racism but about the kind of guy your are. The kind of guy Evander Kane is is never appreciated in the country/smaller citiy area. I never doubted that Kane could live a totally different life on a team like the Rangers, Kings, Sharks or Vegas. Nobody gives a crap about how many money phone pictures you post there as long as you do your work on the ice.

Very well stated GJF

EK9 will find a city that fits better......the larger challenge may still be that piece of real estate they call the locker room. Time will tell I guess, the kid always brought it on the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: GJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad