Value of: Evander Kane in Free Agency

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
As far as his contract goes he will get paid because he can score goals. I think there are allot of teams that would not want to commit long term to him but someone is going to step up.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think it does not come down to skin colour but to the way a guy acts and behaves. Kane and Buff are very different kind of guys. Kane is the young urban rap loving kid that wants to see himself on top of the world with pretty girls and a weekend life at Las Vegas while Buff spends his time fishing on a lake and feeling great in a small pond like Winnipeg. I'm a fan of this franchise since back when Kane was picked by Atlanta, I'm completely unbiased about the entire thing. I never had a specific problem with Evander Kane, the only thing I agreed on was "if he creates problems around the team - no matter for what reason or if he is to blame for or not - he must go because we're never be able to concentrate on developing a winning culture team that focuses 100% about only winning hockey games.

But as an outsider to the whole Kane/Buff/Winnpeg/not Winnipeg/racism narrative, I think it is not at all about racism but about the kind of guy your are. The kind of guy Evander Kane is is never appreciated in the country/smaller citiy area. I never doubted that Kane could live a totally different life on a team like the Rangers, Kings, Sharks or Vegas. Nobody gives a crap about how many money phone pictures you post there as long as you do your work on the ice.
I also think that if he had been a better, more consistent player then none of the "issues" would've been brought up, whether it be off ice, color, etc..
He's a tough player to value. Tons of physical talent, seems to lack hockey sense, will stick up for team mates, but can't mesh with them, and has been injured a lot on top of that, which has hurt his development.

He seems to be a unique player...see some similarities to Vanek, which doesn't bode well for his value around the league.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Of course he's in a strong bargaining position. He's a prime player coming off a good season headed to UFA. People are exaggerating his off-ice issues from the past as if that's going to impact his market value. It's not going to. Those that are keeping up with him know he doesn't have baggage that would result in something like you're suggesting. Consistent 20-30 goal scorers at his age going to UFA will get paid handsomely on the open market if he chooses to go there.

Oh thanks. I should have checked with you before coming to any conclusions.

There may be some GM's willing to ignore his past and pay up. But there will be fewer bidders than there otherwise would be. That means lower value.

He isn't a consistent 20-30 goal scorer either. He is an inconsistent 20 something goal scorer who drags his teammates down.

I expect he will get paid. Not 6 mil but closer to 5. But bidders will not offer him term. GM's will be cautious with him. They will want him to prove himself before they commit to him.

If any GM does give him big money and term he will regret it. He will create discord in the room.

Reactions: go4hockey

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

There may be some GM's willing to ignore his past and pay up. But there will be fewer bidders than there otherwise would be. That means lower value.

He isn't a consistent 20-30 goal scorer either. He is an inconsistent 20 something goal scorer who drags his teammates down.

I expect he will get paid. Not 6 mil but closer to 5. But bidders will not offer him term. GM's will be cautious with him. They will want him to prove himself before they commit to him.

If any GM does give him big money and term he will regret it. He will create discord in the room.

There's really no evidence to support such a claim in this situation. As for arguing he's a consistent 20-30 goal scorer, all you have to do is look at his numbers. He's scored 20+ goals in each of the last four seasons and if not for missed games in the two seasons prior to the last four, he'd have 20 goals in those seasons as well based on pace. He's a 26 goal per 82 games player. That is going to carry with it a good amount of value. And again, find anyone at Kane's level of goal production and age heading into UFA that has ever had to sign a prove-it contract. That is RFA stuff. That stuff doesn't apply to UFA's. What you're suggesting is that there will be no serious bidder for Kane in the free agent market. That is simply not going to happen. The fact that you believe that he will create discord in the room when that hasn't been an issue since he was in Winnipeg as a 23 year old means you're basing your opinion on outdated information. You need to catch up to what he's been doing the past three seasons.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There's really no evidence to support such a claim in this situation. As for arguing he's a consistent 20-30 goal scorer, all you have to do is look at his numbers. He's scored 20+ goals in each of the last four seasons and if not for missed games in the two seasons prior to the last four, he'd have 20 goals in those seasons as well based on pace. He's a 26 goal per 82 games player. That is going to carry with it a good amount of value. And again, find anyone at Kane's level of goal production and age heading into UFA that has ever had to sign a prove-it contract. That is RFA stuff. That stuff doesn't apply to UFA's. What you're suggesting is that there will be no serious bidder for Kane in the free agent market. That is simply not going to happen. The fact that you believe that he will create discord in the room when that hasn't been an issue since he was in Winnipeg as a 23 year old means you're basing your opinion on outdated information. You need to catch up to what he's been doing the past three seasons.

I didn't say anything like there will be no serious bidders. Where did I say that? They will be very serious. They will offer to throw millions of dollars at him. How is that not serious? I disagree with you number of 6 million but not by all that much. This isn't about the AAV. I think he will get the same $$$ as a player with a good attitude would get. The difference will be in term.

Every GM making an offer on him will know that he is gambling on Kane's character, or lack of it.

I know the difference between RFA and UFA status. That isn't what this is about.

You want evidence of Kane's behaviour influencing his value? Just look at what Buffalo finally got for him after shopping him for months. About half the value a UFA rental with Kane's talent usually goes for.

You are talking as though a players character has absolutely no influence in the marketplace. I think it does. Neither of us knows. We'll see.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I didn't say anything like there will be no serious bidders. Where did I say that? They will be very serious. They will offer to throw millions of dollars at him. How is that not serious? I disagree with you number of 6 million but not by all that much. This isn't about the AAV. I think he will get the same $$$ as a player with a good attitude would get. The difference will be in term.

Every GM making an offer on him will know that he is gambling on Kane's character, or lack of it.

I know the difference between RFA and UFA status. That isn't what this is about.

You want evidence of Kane's behaviour influencing his value? Just look at what Buffalo finally got for him after shopping him for months. About half the value a UFA rental with Kane's talent usually goes for.

You are talking as though a players character has absolutely no influence in the marketplace. I think it does. Neither of us knows. We'll see.

Trading assets during the season is still quite a bit different than signing them during the off-season for nothing but cap space.

Reactions: PopaneNightscare

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trading assets during the season is still quite a bit different than signing them during the off-season for nothing but cap space.

It is an indicator.
Neither of us knows what he will get in the end. Lets wait and see. :)

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
And yet he’s only worth a 2nd......seems to be a disonnect with what you’re trying to sell. Tatar got unconditional 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Keep pretending GMs don’t see red flags.

Reactions: go4hockey

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
And yet he’s only worth a 2nd......seems to be a disonnect with what you’re trying to sell. Tatar got unconditional 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Except value differs between when you're trading assets for a player versus when you can get him only for salary and cap space during UFA.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Im a Flames fan fyi.
My point is they were wrong. There was a vocal group who were insulted with anything less than a 1st a player and a decent prospect like Botteril wanted. They all said the red flags were all lies and no one would care. Seems like a 2nd for a player of his production seems a little light. What could the reason be? He would rather be a donkey that make more money.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Except value differs between when you're trading assets for a player versus when you can get him only for salary and cap space during UFA.
GMs weren’t willing to pay full price in a trade , they won’t pay full price in FA. The Leafs paid about the same for Plecanec. Is there an argument that those two players are equal talent wise? Kane has almost as many goals as Plecanec has points. What do you think causes that value discrepancy?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Tatar is under contract for another three seasons at 5.3 million compared to a rental. That's kind of a huge difference that you're conveniently ignoring.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
GMs weren’t willing to pay full price in a trade , they won’t pay full price in FA. The Leafs paid about the same for Plecanec. Is there an argument that those two players are equal talent wise? Kane has almost as many goals as Plecanec has points. What do you think causes that value discrepancy?

In Plekanec's case, the Habs were asked to retain which drove up his price plus trades within the division tend to come at a premium as well.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Funny how some fans don't think calling in hungover after the NBA all start game is a locker room issue. It doesn't matter what your job is, when you don't show up for work because you were out partying too late, you do not endear yourself to your coworkers. That's an issue when your job requires teamwork. And that's just the one obvious, public issue we know about. In Kane's case, it's also a continuing pattern that followed him from WIN.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Under 4 years I see him getting 6 but not over 4 years, teams aren't stupid anymore handing big money to players that can't stick to a team for more than 3 years, I don't think he gets more than 3 years

Yes they are

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
My point is they were wrong. There was a vocal group who were insulted with anything less than a 1st a player and a decent prospect like Botteril wanted. They all said the red flags were all lies and no one would care. Seems like a 2nd for a player of his production seems a little light. What could the reason be? He would rather be a donkey that make more money.
I think Kane is a perfect fit in San Jose. They have a strong leadership group to keep Kane on track. I think he signs with the Sharks in the off season. He has a bad rep but people change. If Trevling had picks im certain he would have made a solid offer for him at the deadline. I hope he makes an offer in the summer. Who knows what will happen but he will get paid 5 to 6 million per season

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
Kane was traded for a conditional first, conditional fourth, and a prospect.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA

Short sample size for the sharks but so far he has great chemistry with his line mates and has no problem dishing them the puck.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I hope the sharks sign Kane long term for you.

If the Sharks don't get Tavares, I have no problems keeping Kane. To me, it's more likely that it was just an issue between Kane and the Jets and their locker room rather than purely Kane and his immaturity alone. If it was Kane and Kane only, something else would've come up in Buffalo and it didn't. Chances are he grew up enough to be able to function as needed in an NHL locker room now. Shouldn't surprise anyone for someone his age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad