Value of: Evander Kane in Free Agency

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah what's a couple of police investigations and a suspension by the team for not showing up?
Other than that Mrs. Lincoln.

The police investigations yielded nothing and yeah he got suspended for that but what exactly do you think came of it that mattered? If the answer is anything other than nothing then I'd like for you to at least support it with something. These issues are highly exaggerated by people like you who only just cast judgment without much of anything behind it.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
the draft pick is for 2019 is it protected if it becomes a first?

It is lottery protected.

Kane traded to Sharks by Sabres

The first-round pick traded to the Sabres is NHL Draft Lottery-protected and would become a second-round choice unless Kane re-signs with the Sharks or they win the Stanley Cup, Wilson said. The fourth-round pick can become a third-round choice in 2020 at San Jose's discretion.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The police investigations yielded nothing and yeah he got suspended for that but what exactly do you think came of it that mattered? If the answer is anything other than nothing then I'd like for you to at least support it with something. These issues are highly exaggerated by people like you who only just cast judgment without much of anything behind it.
I don't need to play your false dichotomy game just because you say so.

You think police multiple police investigation and being disciplined by the team for not showing up to work, and having a teammate call you selfish are nothing.

I think that opinion is ludicrous. I think you are moving goal posts and I'm not playing such an intellectually dishonest game.

BTW the "people like you" comment is detestable.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't need to play your false dichotomy game just because you say so.

You think police multiple police investigation and being disciplined by the team for not showing up to work, and having a teammate call you selfish are nothing.

I think that opinion is ludicrous. I think you are moving goal posts and I'm not playing such an intellectually dishonest game.

BTW the "people like you" comment is detestable.

What choice am I asking you to make? Support a statement or not? The police investigations yielded nothing. That's just the facts of those matters. He was suspended for the All-Star Game incident and it was done and over with. Do you levy the same criticism towards Ovechkin when he did the same thing? Teammates calling each other anything in a practice scrum is not exactly unheard of in sports. You're making more of those incidents than what they really are especially in the context of how it affects the team as a whole. To say you're not playing such an intellectually dishonest game is laughably wrong. And just exactly how is it detestable to say people like you in this context? You're making more of it than it really is. Phony outrage much?

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Kane has actually been better than I thought he would be. He has fit in amazingly well already. Hope he stays in SJ for a very very long time. Doug Wilson strikes again.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
I would love the Rangers to get Kane. I dont know what goes on in the Locker Room but he kills the Rangers every time he plays against them. He would be the perfect Left Wing for the Second Line with Hayes and Zuccarello. Hayes and Zucc are pass first players so a shoot first guy like Kane would thrive.

This would put Spooner, Namestnikov and Buchnevich on the third line and Vescy would go the the 4th line. I think Jimmy Vescey is nothing more than a good 4th liner. I dont think he has the hands to be a top 9 player. If 6M/3Y gets it done, I would do it. I know the Rangers are rebuilding but I dont want the team to totally suck. And I dont want Kovalchuck. He is nothing more than a icetime hog and a puck hog.

Would this make the Rangers a Stanley cup contender...no but they would be a bubble team which would be fun to watch.

Reactions: pld459666

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

From http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Years/2019.
Evander Kane to Sharks for • Daniel O'Regan • 2019 conditional round pick (first round if Sharks re-sign Kane, else second round) (?-?) • conditional pick (Sharks option of 2019 fourth round or 2020 third round pick) (?-?) on 2018-02-26

From: NHL Entry Draft Picks - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Becomes a 2019 1st round pick if #Sharks re-sign Kane.

No mention of lottery protection.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California

That's cool but it IS mentioned in the NHL.com article I linked. I even quoted the excerpt in my post..next time I'll bold it so it's easier to catch.

Both of your links also fail to mention that the pick becomes a 1st if the Sharks win the SCF so I can see why the lottery-protected aspect was left out as well.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
What does lottery protected mean
If the team trading the pick misses the playoffs, hence being in the lottery that year with their pick, that pick is either deferred to next season or becomes a lower pick, depending on the condition.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
If Habs fail to land Tavares. I offer 6M$ for 4 years to Kane and 5,5M$ for 4 years to Statsny.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Anything from the Sharks (or the Sabres) ?

Another source: History of NHL trades by the Buffalo Sabres - NHL Trade Tracker

Is Doug Wilson an OK source?

Sharks acquire Evander Kane

Wilson told Hockey Night in Canada two weeks ago that he "didn't see [the team] in the rental market." If Kane is not a rental player and re-signs in San Jose, the Sharks will have to give the Sabres a first round pick in 2019, according to Sabres general manager Jason Botterill. That pick is lottery-protected, Wilson said.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
A desperate GM will give him $6 million per for 6-7 years

6 x 6 is probably fair on the open market. He will only be 27 to start next season. Duchesne, Couture, Eberle, Panarin are all $6m players at about the same age. I'd put Kane in that group for sure.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
6 x 6 is probably fair on the open market. He will only be 27 to start next season. Duchesne, Couture, Eberle, Panarin are all $6m players at about the same age. I'd put Kane in that group for sure.

While I like E.Kane, he is not on the same level as those players.

A notch below, yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad