Euro: Euro 2020/21 Discussion

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Crazy to think it's been exactly 7 years.

I recently watched some of those tournament compilation videos of World Cup 2014, and I had had totally forgotten how lucky Argentina had to be to even get to the Final. Like you sometimes hear certain people talk so much about how Argentina deserved to win, and then you see they didn't have a single convincing group stage win, needed extra time to get past Switzerland in the Rd of 16 and penalties to get past Holland in the semifinal. Made our run to the trophy seem pretty convincing in comparison really.

Reactions: NyQuil

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yes becuase you need a 7-1 win in a knock out stage to be worthy champions. They were the best team in every match they played making them the best team and the most deserving team. Stick to being an apologist for all things racist.

By comparison Germany drew to ghana squeezed out a win against the losers USA and needed extra time against Algeria.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yes becuase you need a 7-1 win in a knock out stage to be worthy champions. They were the best team in every match they played making them the best team and the most deserving team. Stick to being an apologist for all things racist.

By comparison Germany drew to ghana squeezed out a win against the losers USA and needed extra time against Algeria.
Finally you admit it!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Didn't Argentina keep clean sheets the entirety of the knock-out stages? from what I remember they were incredibly hard to break down.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Didn't Argentina keep clean sheets the entirety of the knock-out stages? from what I remember they were incredibly hard to break down.
You would be correct they didn't concede a goal in about 450 minutes. Until some random German scrub became the luckiest person on the planet.

Reactions: robertmac43

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

They also had a really hard time scoring. Until that guy Messi showed up and hit that free kick in the 120th minute against Germany, oh wait that never happened, it hit row ZZ in the stands.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
In the northeast and certain parts of the midwest they do. But I gotta say that a lot of things related to hockey have massively turned me off the sport. I would rather not get into detail about some of them but the lack of rule enforcement alone is bad enough. And then you have goalies who look like the Michelin man. No thanks. I can think of no faster way to sabotage a sport.

Dammit, nobody remembers the Tiger Woods meme anymore.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
You would be correct they didn't concede a goal in about 450 minutes. Until some random German scrub became the luckiest person on the planet.
In retrospect, it's crazy how one goal can change the world's view on a player. That lucky player became touted as one of the next superstars based solely on that goal :laugh:

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
In retrospect, it's crazy how one goal can change the world's view on a player. That lucky player became touted as one of the next superstars based solely on that goal :laugh:
Gotze was class in his day, his health issues did him in, like so many others.

Reactions: cgf

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Looks like you're a yob breaking into the stadium until you get punched in the face..then you're a helpless victim. Funny how selective representation of facts can be used to create a spin.
It’s very possible to say that 1) people shouldn’t break into the stadium, 2) if they do, random fans shouldn’t assault them and that 3) both 1 and 2 are instances of shitty English behavior and an inability for English authorities to handle large profile events.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Gotze was class in his day, his health issues did him in, like so many others.
Oh for sure, he has talent and did have bad luck with health. That being said, I still think the guy was never going to be a top 10 player in this position, and he got overrated due to his "Super Mario" moment.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Oh for sure, he has talent and did have bad luck with health. That being said, I still think the guy was never going to be a top 10 player in this position, and he got overrated due to his "Super Mario" moment.
Beyond his health, the biggest problem was that he was miscast because Bayern didn't want to get into the Neymar bidding; when he was always a lot more Iniesta (stylistically) than Messi.

Reactions: robertmac43

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Last edited:
Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It’s very possible to say that 1) people shouldn’t break into the stadium, 2) if they do, random fans shouldn’t assault them and that 3) both 1 and 2 are instances of shitty English behavior and an inability for English authorities to handle large profile events.

Its certainly possible to say all that if you acknowledge the context, its also certainly possible to willfully misrepresent the context in order to generate a reaction as was done here.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

I was one of the biggest Gotze haters around but get your facts straight. The Gotze hype maxed out when he helped Dortmund win a league title as an 18 year old and looked fantastic doing that. That was years before that goal. At the time of the goal he had already been controversially snatched by Bayern, and there was already skepticism about his ability to settle at Bayern.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I was one of the biggest Gotze haters around but get your facts straight. The Gotze hype maxed out when he helped Dortmund win a league title as an 18 year old and looked fantastic doing that. That was years before that goal. At the time of the goal he had already been controversially snatched by Bayern, and there was already skepticism about his ability to settle at Bayern.
Oh, the hype was there before the WC, but that goal propelled Gotze's expectations and put home on the radar of more people around the footballing world.... I don't think that is too farfetched to say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad