Euro: Euro 2020/21 Discussion

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not sure he is there yet, but when did Left Back get so deep?

I think it's another one of the ripples of Pep's all-conquering Barca & how influential Dani Alves was. Since then teams have spent more time & resources on finding high quality FBs/WBs and it has become a sexier position for young players than it used to be.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Its hard not to included just because of how good he was. My tip for the next captain but out first round I dont think any player can make it in. No matter how good they were.
He wasn't out "first round". He lead his team to top of the group of death.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think it's another one of the ripples of Pep's all-conquering Barca & how influential Dani Alves was. Since then teams have spent more time & resources on finding high quality FBs/WBs and it has become a sexier position for young players than it used to be.
I mean Right Back still horrible haha

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I wanted to make a "worst-of" Euro squad​

Morata
Oyarzabal - Greizmann - Bale
Krychowiak - Kroos
Gvardiol - Blind - Demiral/Rudiger - di Lorenzo
Stekelenburg

Manager: Low
Assistant: Santos​
Uhhh I'm gonna try this out: (at least 3 games started) as yours is more a list of personal disppointments. At least I think I'd have di Lorenzo close to my championship team, and Bale single handedly won Wales a game.

Neuer - Celik Szalai Orban Alioski - Zobnin Tufan Klich - Widmer Yilmaz Rebic

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
WTF? A kid breaks in and gets decked in the head and "perhaps not" is the response.... Another guy gets kicked repeatedly by multiple people and we should think, but it's fine because he broke in so it's not random violence.... What a stupid take, there is no way someone should be beaten to the ground by multiple people for breaking into the game...

Listen, I don't care to defend anyone in that video. But that's kind of the point really - you play stupid games and you win stupid prizes.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I mean Right Back still horrible haha

That's only because Ridle Baku isn't well known yet :sarcasm:

I dunno, Arnold-Alexander, Hakimi, Cancelo, James, etc...may not be as deep as the left side, but it still feels like there's a lot more talent at that spot than there was back when Lahm & Alves were the only RBs that made a difference.

Last edited:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Luke Shaw was great and really had a great season.

He was starting to show this under LvG with United. He was playing brilliantly and then broke his leg. The leg break was really awful - he almost lost his leg. Took him awhile to get back, and he's talked about the mental impact of it all.

Then he had Mourinho, who is just a useless windbag and continues to beclown himself on Shaw.

But he's great and I hope United lock him up long term.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He meant first round of the knockouts; i.e. the round of 16; not the group stages.
Yes, but that's just a way to make it seem like Pogba lost early.
In fact, he played in the majority of games of this Euro. 4 out of 7.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
That's only because Tariq Lamptey isn't well known yet :sarcasm:

I dunno, Arnold-Alexander, Hakimi, Cancelo, James, etc...may not be as deep as the left side, but it still feels like there's a lot more talent at that spot than there was back when Lahm & Alves were the only RBs that made a difference.
I didn't realize you watched that much Brighton, but happy to see you are high on him as well ;)

Reactions: cgf

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yes, but that's just a way to make it seem like Pogba lost early.
In fact, he played in the majority of games of this Euro. 4 out of 7.
It’s still a first round exist. And speaking of a way to make things seem stuff. The group of death teams all got bounced first round. In any case evilo I’m in such a good mood they can include Pogba and even Pavard to the team. :)

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
That's only because Ridle Baku isn't well known yet :sarcasm:

Baku is not only a good player but as evidenced by the tweet he seems like a good guy with nice morals. Isn’t he mostly a wingback though (seems like he’s best suited to playing wingback from my limited viewings).

Reactions: robertmac43

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I find it somewhat strange that Rashford feels the need to explain himself in a social media post. I don't think that is necessary or will really serve him in the long run.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Baku is not only a good player but as evidenced by the tweet he seems like a good guy with nice morals. Isn’t he mostly a wingback though (seems like he’s best suited to playing wingback from my limited viewings).

He's very dynamic with the ball, but he's also talented going the other way. He ended up playing further forward in the back half of the season because of how well Mbabu was playing and how desperately Wolfsburg needed Baku in attacking positions to create for them.

Not trying to compare him to Dani Alves, but it was very much a dani alves situation...where his contributions going forward were just so much more valuable to his team, that they enabled him to bomb away; rather than him being too much of a liability defensively for a more defensive role.

Reactions: AB13

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
He's very dynamic with the ball, but he's also talented going the other way. He ended up playing further forward in the back half of the season because of how well Mbabu was playing and how desperately Wolfsburg needed Baku in attacking positions to create for them.

Not trying to compare him to Dani Alves, but it was very much a dani alves situation...where his contributions going forward were just so much more valuable to his team, that they enabled him to bomb away; rather than him being too much of a liability defensively for a more defensive role.
Sounds promising. Sign him up then Arsenal. Good enough for Kimmich to not play RB/Wingback for Germany?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sounds promising. Sign him up then Arsenal. Good enough for Kimmich to not play RB/Wingback for Germany?

Despite only getting one match last fall from Jogi, absolutely...we just have to hope that unlike Löw, Flick realizes that and cements Kimmich at the 6 like he did at Bayern. We'd still have our issues defensively, but putting Kimmich & Goretzka in front of the defense with Baku opposite Gosens, would really ease the burden we ask our CBs to bare.

And since Bayern don't seem like they are going to snap him up so that Nagelsmann can integrate him with Kimmich, Goretzka, Musiala, Gnabry, Sane, Süle, & Rhein; I'm all for an EPL team buying him. Nobody in germany other than Bayern has the financial weight to pry him out of Wolfsburg, so better he start adapting to the EPL next season than he risks spending too long with FC VW & stagnating.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It’s still a first round exist. And speaking of a way to make things seem stuff. The group of death teams all got bounced first round. In any case evilo I’m in such a good mood they can include Pogba and even Pavard to the team. :)
Haha, great for your mood.
And, no the first round is the round robin.
And it was still the group of death.

And Pavard, yikes. would gladly send him to Argentina. He could work out the half volleys with them and they can keep him.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I find it somewhat strange that Rashford feels the need to explain himself in a social media post. I don't think that is necessary or will really serve him in the long run.
I feel like it was the best reaction yet. Wondefully written, with every bit of that sensitivity he has. He's clearly a great guy and all what he wrote goes into that direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad