Euro: Euro 2020/21 Discussion

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don’t think this is something that only comes out of this tournament as opposed to the last season or two, but Luke Shaw is starting to reach his potential. I think he’s very close to being the top LB in the world. He’s at least top 3-4 by now.
Not sure he is there yet, but when did Left Back get so deep?

Reactions: robertmac43

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I've never meant that it was a majority of people. But that specifically it follows England fans around like a plague. I think it's really only 2000-4000 people or so. Their authorities have done a terrible job keeping them away from the game, that's the biggest takeaway here.

I've known and interacted with English people for a long time. Some of the most civilized, most sophisticated and funniest people I've ever known are English and yet I also never feared more for my personal safety than being out on an English high street on a Friday night. There's a dichotomy to England as a country, and this naturally also applies to the England fan base as it encompasses a large sample of people from all walks of life.

I think the events yesterday at Wembley primarily showcase a degree of complacency regarding security that's pretty scary if you consider the events at Manchester Arena a few years ago as well. It was a botched security operation no doubt, and it surprises me, because I remember the UK as a country which much stricter security measures in place than most other locations.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don’t think this is something that only comes out of this tournament as opposed to the last season or two, but Luke Shaw is starting to reach his potential. I think he’s very close to being the top LB in the world. He’s at least top 3-4 by now.
Telles was a great signing purely for the fact that the competition clearly helped get to that next level.

Reactions: Jussi

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's probably one of the best on the site. During the club season at least, during the WC and Euros, it can get a little more feisty.

This isn't my first rodeo on this site (my history goes way back), but I've never really spent much time on the soccer/football forums before now.

There's no way this forum could ever possibly be close to as bad as the main boards, which are only a few steps above Youtube comments at times.
We talk a lot of trash but there are very few examples of people actually disliking each other in reality. It’s just those two hour intervals once or twice a week…

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I wanted to make a "worst-of" Euro squad​

Morata
Oyarzabal - Greizmann - Bale
Krychowiak - Kroos
Gvardiol - Blind - Demiral/Rudiger - di Lorenzo
Stekelenburg

Manager: Low
Assistant: Santos​

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
I wanted to make a "worst-of" Euro squad​

Morata
Oyarzabal - Greizmann - Bale
Krychowiak - Kroos
Gvardiol - Blind - Demiral/Rudiger - di Lorenzo
Stekelenburg

Manager: Low
Assistant: Santos​

I'd say Mbappé was worst than Grizzou. Grizzou, at least, put in some good work defensively. Mbappé has to be flop of the tournament.

Bruno Fernades was atrocious as well.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Walker was a huge part of why England defended against counters so effectively at this tourney. Almost like a sweeper with his greater mobility, he cleaned up enough dangerous throughballs that would've probably been goals for me to rate his tourney ahead of Shaw's, despite Shaw's superior contributions going forward & strong defensive showing in his own role.

The germany game is the only one I've rewatched, so that may be warping my impression of his tourney on the whole, but he cut out a handful of balls that had a good chance of turning into the 1-0 for us, had Walker not been back there.
Just yesterday, he was only once faced with a 1 on 1. He lost it, got dribbled through and the italian player sent a very dangerous cross on that play.
England didn't have any counter to play against most games because THEY were playing in their own half.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I attended my first match around the time of Heysel. I wouldn't say that I witnessed anything like Heysel. I certainly saw hooliganism, but out of 20,000 in a crowd maybe 300-500 would be seen in that light. I think we've come a long way from thinking football fans are all yobs. I mean it's the attitude that 'typical fans' are animals capable of anything that allowed South Yorkshire Police to get away with their lies about Liverpool fan behavior at Hillsborough.

I'd say that yes violence and anti-social behavior were typical of a highly visible sub-set of fans, but certainly not fans in general.
80s english hooliganism is certainly not a myth.
They cleaned up a whole lot of their behaviour and now they're a very small minority.
They certainly weren't a small minority back then.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Oh
I wanted to make a "worst-of"​
I like this idea. I’ll try to pick all different than you.

Manager - Frank de Boer

GK - Unai Simon
RB - N. Williams
CB - Ruben Dias
CB - de Ligt
LB - R. Rodriguez
CM - Zakaria
CM - Bruno (Least Valuable Player)
CM - Brozovic or Bernardo
FW - E. Hazard
FW - Immobile
FW - Werner

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Just yesterday, he was only once faced with a 1 on 1. He lost it, got dribbled through and the italian player sent a very dangerous cross on that play.
England didn't have any counter to play against most games because THEY were playing in their own half.

Just yesterday he also cut out a dangerous long ball that stones & maguire were going to have no hope of covering for :dunno:

Like I said, the germany match is the only one I re-watch and feel comfortable going into a deeper breakdown of, so my perspective of his tourney may be warped by his performance against us...but his elimination of dangerous long balls was not isolated to the germany match and really helped england's solidity in a lot of situations where they would've ended up vulnerable with a less mobile defender cleaning up.

I'm not exactly digging in to die on this hill, so I may well be wrong having only watched their other matches once...and the match with Ukraine not at all...I was just explaining what it was that popped out to me.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Best XI

Manager - Mancini

GK - Donnarumma
RB - Dumfries
CB - Bonucci
CB - Chiellini
LB - Shaw
CM - Hojbjerg
CM - Jorginho
CM - Pedri
FW - Damsgaard
FW - Sterling
FW - Schick

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Oh

I like this idea. I’ll try to pick all different than you.

Manager - Frank de Boer

GK - Unai Simon
RB - N. Williams
CB - Ruben Dias
CB - de Ligt
LB - R. Rodriguez
CM - Zakaria
CM - Bruno (Least Valuable Player)
CM - Brozovic or Bernardo
FW - E. Hazard
FW - Immobile
FW - Werner

I feel uncomfortable awarding this to players who only played one match. There are a lot of guys who would deserve to make this team if we only judge them on their performance in their 1st match...hell there are plenty of Euro-legends who would make this team if we judged them just on their 1st match at the tourney.

TheGreenTBer

Generational Lesson Learner
Apr 30, 2021
International tournaments is the usually the worst it gets around here...as we get a bunch of nationalists showing up who otherwise never post over here & our regulars can get more prickly...but this tourney was on the more tame side.

When the Özil-Erdogan stuff happened I had to put half of this forum on ignore for a good 6 months :laugh:

I thought everyone was really welcoming, and I try not to be the obnoxious type of poster. Like everyone else, I have national teams I like and national teams I dislike. I've found that the best thing I can do is to not say anything when I don't know what I'm talking about, so I try to stick to that. :laugh:

I've never meant that it was a majority of people. But that specifically it follows England fans around like a plague. I think it's really only 2000-4000 people or so. Their authorities have done a terrible job keeping them away from the game, that's the biggest takeaway here.

Bingo.

Reactions: cgf and robertmac43

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I'd say Mbappé was worst than Grizzou. Grizzou, at least, put in some good work defensively. Mbappé has to be flop of the tournament.

Bruno Fernades was atrocious as well.

I was actually stunned at both how impressed I was with Pogba and how underwhelmed I was with Mbappe (I know he's capable of much more.)

Reactions: bluesfan94

member 305909

I wonder how the sympathy-ratio went by neutral people in other countries regarding last night's match.

My guess is that not a lot of people wanted Italy to win but an overwhelming majority wanted England to lose.

England is not at all a popular team outside England.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I feel uncomfortable awarding this to players who only played one match. There are a lot of guys who would deserve to make this team if we only judge them on their performance in their 1st match...hell there are plenty of Euro-legends who would make this team if we judged them just on their 1st match at the tourney.
I mean if you are talking about Zakaria for example. He came in for one game and yes, he was that bad to be deserving. Had a rough Bundesliga year too. Wasn’t his year.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
It's probably one of the best on the site. During the club season at least, during the WC and Euros, it can get a little more feisty.

brb I need to go make a hockey trade proposal where my team tears open the other team's collective asshole, and when people call me out for homerism and ignorance I'm going to rip on their team, call them sour losers and double down on the trade proposal because if your team is bad, that means you are less intelligent as a sports fan. When that fails, I'll create an endless series of revenge polls on the poll board that show what kind of giant-penised internet keyboard warrior I am. THAT'LL SHOW 'EM!

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Pogba can't be excluded from any best XI really. It's tough because midfield was the best position in this tourney (Jorginho, Verratti, etc...).
But he was great in every single game that Pogba guy.

Reactions: luiginb

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I mean if you are talking about Zakaria for example. He came in for one game and yes, he was that bad to be deserving. Had a rough Bundesliga year too. Wasn’t his year.

Was just speaking in general, not about anyone in particular.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Pogba can't be excluded from any best XI really. It's tough because midfield was the best position in this tourney (Jorginho, Verratti, etc...).
But he was great in every single game that Pogba guy.
Its hard not to included just because of how good he was. My tip for the next captain but out first round I dont think any player can make it in. No matter how good they were.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad