Confirmed with Link: Eric Staal (50% retained) to NYR for two 2nds (2016//2017) and Aleksi Saarela

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Yeah this is really strange

Yeah, after 900+ games in red, he looks weird in blue.

7RRgM4el.jpg

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

I remember this like it was yesterday...

You guys are going to laugh at me but I'm going to tell this story anyways.

Early in the 2005-06 season I had a friend over at my house after school, we did the typical teenage guy stuff, shoot hoops, prank phone calls, video games, IMing (lol) female classmates, etc.

Anyways I was trying to introduce my friend to Hockey, he's a Basketball fan, big fan of Kobe Bryant. I believe we were playing Toronto that night, this was I believe shortly after the 8-6 Philly win.

Eric Staal was on fire that night, winning puck battles, getting quality shots on goal, made a couple of awesome moves, and ended up with 2 goals and had a 3rd goal taken away because of an offsides IIRC.

My friend took notice of this guy and was all "Damn he's pretty good". I said "If he keeps this up, I could see him being the 'LeBron James' of Hockey". To be honest I was being somewhat sarcastic but I was really trying to get my friend on board with the sport and the team since they were off to such a great start. I did not succeed but I tried. My friend did give me crap about that years later when Alex Ovechkin was ripping the league up so I guess in a way I did get his attention.

I know this video was from his rookie season but it brought back memories to young Eric and how awesome he was to watch and how excited I was for his future. It may have been disappointing in the end but the memories and fun times will last forever.

Thanks again for the memories #12.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Am I the only one who thinks that this can't be his first NHL goal/rookie season highlight because Tim Thomas is in net and you can see that there is a tapezoid area?

Still a nice clip though.

You're not the only one. Definitely not his first NHL goal. As you point out that appears to be Tim Thomas in net based on the Mage mask on the goalie and the #30. Thomas didn't play for the Bruins in 2003-04 (he spent the entirety of the season in Providence) and the Bruins used only two goalies that year - Raycroft (who wore #1 and a conventional mask) and Felix Potvin (who wore #29 and a conventional mask).

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
I've been a big fan of E.Staal throughout his career. I hope he is the key factor that helps push the Rangers to win the Cup and Saarela ends up being a key player for you guys.

Make everyone happy :)

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
To be honest that video is such poor quality I had to look closely to see the trapezoid.

I guess that video is from the 06-07 season? I don't see the Thank You Fans banner on the ice that was prevalent throughout all NHL arenas during the 05-06 season.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hey guys. Rangers fan from Europe here. I have been keeping an eye on Saarela since we drafted him (And I noticed him before that too, being considered a top-pick before his injuries). He is a very good player who did not look out of place at the JWC on a team with Laine, Puljijarvi and Aho. That is a great sign. I feel bad we had to give him up, but the chemistry with Aho is probably the reason Francis wanted him.

2 second round picks and Saarela is a very good price for Eric Staal on an expiring contract.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Hey guys. Rangers fan from Europe here. I have been keeping an eye on Saarela since we drafted him (And I noticed him before that too, being considered a top-pick before his injuries). He is a very good player who did not look out of place at the JWC on a team with Laine, Puljijarvi and Aho. That is a great sign. I feel bad we had to give him up, but the chemistry with Aho is probably the reason Francis wanted him.

2 second round picks and Saarela is a very good price for Eric Staal on an expiring contract.

Thanks, AK. Due to where we are in the standings, it's unlikely we win either of Laine or Pulji, so it was great for us to get him. Very excited to see him in action with Aho in the future. Hope you can continue to follow them. We should have a pretty good young team in the near future.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Hey, welcome back. We missed you.

I don't believe you for a second :sarcasm:

Truthfully the only board I've been posting on regularly has been football, and even then it's usually just been Sundays and sporadically here and there. HF has just become an absolute ****hole in every sense of the word and I don't particularly like going on the internet only to get pissed off. This team does that enough for me.

Speaking of that, I'm surprised it's even a question on whether they should bring Eric back. He's not the 100 point player he used to be. Hell, he's probably not even the 70 point player anymore after that knee injury. But, he can still contribute in a middle six role. And word on the street is that he was only willing to waive his NTC for NYR (I don't remember where I saw that, but it makes sense) which obviously means he values playing with a sibling over just about anything else. He's going to be back here or re-sign there, and it's going to be for less than anyone expected. If he wants term, he's going to have to settle for something like 4-5 million a year. Yeah, there are a few other, better options out there, but you have to outbid 29 other teams, and almost always the end result is a whole lot of overpaid mediocre players. I'd rather see Eric back here at 5x4 than Jiri Hudler.

Like with last year, though, if they simply pocket the savings, then that's just going to piss everyone off.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I don't believe you for a second :sarcasm:

Truthfully the only board I've been posting on regularly has been football, and even then it's usually just been Sundays and sporadically here and there. HF has just become an absolute ****hole in every sense of the word and I don't particularly like going on the internet only to get pissed off. This team does that enough for me.

Speaking of that, I'm surprised it's even a question on whether they should bring Eric back. He's not the 100 point player he used to be. Hell, he's probably not even the 70 point player anymore after that knee injury. But, he can still contribute in a middle six role. And word on the street is that he was only willing to waive his NTC for NYR (I don't remember where I saw that, but it makes sense) which obviously means he values playing with a sibling over just about anything else. He's going to be back here or re-sign there, and it's going to be for less than anyone expected. If he wants term, he's going to have to settle for something like 4-5 million a year. Yeah, there are a few other, better options out there, but you have to outbid 29 other teams, and almost always the end result is a whole lot of overpaid mediocre players. I'd rather see Eric back here at 5x4 than Jiri Hudler.

Like with last year, though, if they simply pocket the savings, then that's just going to piss everyone off.

Whew, 5 years is a long time for him. I'd rather go 3x6, which wouldn't surprise me if that's what GMRF offered, with Eric wanting more term. If he wants 4 years, I'd give him $5M (which to me, is the max $ he's worth on any term).

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
To be honest that video is such poor quality I had to look closely to see the trapezoid.

I guess that video is from the 06-07 season? I don't see the Thank You Fans banner on the ice that was prevalent throughout all NHL arenas during the 05-06 season.

I don't think so. The Bruins retired that third they're wearing (the so-called Pooh Bear jerseys) after the 2005-06 season. Additionally I know some teams took the Thank You Fans banners off the ice at varying points during that 2005-06 season (I think the Canes might have been one of the only teams to have kept them on the ice throughout the season).

Given these facts:

• Tim Thomas is the Boston Bruins goalie;
  • The Bruins are wearing their Pooh Bear thirds;
  • The trapezoid is present behind the net;
  • The game is being played in Boston;
  • Staal's goal is at 4:20 of the 3rd period; and
  • Staal's goal takes it from 2-1 Bruins to a tie game

the only game that this could be was our game against Boston on March 18, 2006. Hardly his first NHL goal considering he had scored 40 previously that season alone and had scored 11 in his actual debut season, 2003-2004. Elementary, my dear HisIceness.

mast-sherlock-s3-mini-episode-hires.jpg

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Whew, 5 years is a long time for him. I'd rather go 3x6, which wouldn't surprise me if that's what GMRF offered, with Eric wanting more term. If he wants 4 years, I'd give him $5M (which to me, is the max $ he's worth on any term).
I wouldn't do any of those things. Time to cut the cord on a depreciating asset who wants to paid for past accomplishments. I get the sentimental value he brings but his salary to performance ratio is awful and there is no reason to expect a big bounce back. His value is limited based on the kind of game he brings now. When's the last time you saw him space and actually attempting a slapshot. He's just cycling and grinding now.

Take his past contributions to the franchise away and look at his game solely in terms of what he would bring and at what cost. If the Canes signed a guy like him as a UFA there would be a huge outcry about how the $ could have been better spent. Time to move on and I think RF has.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I wouldn't do any of those things. Time to cut the cord on a depreciating asset who wants to paid for past accomplishments. I get the sentimental value he brings but his salary to performance ratio is awful and there is no reason to expect a big bounce back. His value is limited based on the kind of game he brings now. When's the last time you saw him space and actually attempting a slapshot. He's just cycling and grinding now.

Take his past contributions to the franchise away and look at his game solely in terms of what he would bring and at what cost. If the Canes signed a guy like him as a UFA there would be a huge outcry about how the $ could have been better spent. Time to move on and I think RF has.

I should have qualified that as "If they actually bring him back". And really the only reason I'd want him back is to keep Jordan happy, which if that's the case, I probably wouldn't want a manchild with that mentality anyway.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I should have qualified that as "If they actually bring him back". And really the only reason I'd want him back is to keep Jordan happy, which if that's the case, I probably wouldn't want a manchild with that mentality anyway.
Gotcha and true enough.

The bigger question though is will Chris Terry go the entire season without an assist?

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
He's just cycling and grinding now.

I think that understates what he's doing a bit. He comes out of the scrums cleanly, often in 1v2 situations. That's why his CF/60 is so high. It's not just cycling, he creates short 4v3 situations for his teammates.

Or maybe he doesn't. That's what should be so interesting about this stint with the Rangers. If he plays with a couple talented guys, we can see if he's generating real offense, or if it's just harmless grinding.

But all season, I've been impressed with his ability to win a puck, and get it back to the point cleanly (which seems to be Peter's system) giving the dman had plenty of time and space to do something.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I think that understates what he's doing a bit. He comes out of the scrums cleanly, often in 1v2 situations. That's why his CF/60 is so high. It's not just cycling, he creates short 4v3 situations for his teammates.

Or maybe he doesn't. That's what should be so interesting about this stint with the Rangers. If he plays with a couple talented guys, we can see if he's generating real offense, or if it's just harmless grinding.

But all season, I've been impressed with his ability to win a puck, and get it back to the point cleanly (which seems to be Peter's system) giving the dman had plenty of time and space to do something.
All well and fine but when similar things can be said of complementary parts like Nordstrom, your salary to performance ratio is out of balance. Whatever he will command can be put to better use.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
If you listened to Francis, he said that Eric wasn't asking for the world, it was term that they couldn't agree on. So it sounds that Eric was giving a discount and Francis was ok with the salary, they just couldn't agree on the term. I'm thinking Eric was probably wanting 5-6 years (6 years is left on Jordan's) and Francis was only willing to give 3 years.

Forslund also mentioned that the door isn't closed and likely never will be. Eric will probably see what the Rangers can offer him and make a decision to either stay there or come back here. Although, Francis also alluded that Eric could likely get the term he is looking for from another team, so there's that.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I really can't see how the Rangers could offer him anything without offloading some big contracts. They are currently at ~$54M next year with 7 forwards, 4 defensemen, a 1 goalie under contract. Then, they need to sign RFAs Kreider, Miller, Hayes and McIlrath..then 3 more forwards, 2 more D and a back-up goalie.

IMO, he's a pure rental there.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

I do the money first, so $5 million a year for 4 years.

When guys like Beleskey and Bolland are getting similar money in UFA, you're not gonna do better than Eric for less in that market. So then you're either looking at a trade, or standing pat. Francis has been a good seller, but who knows how he'll fare in the big-time buyer role, or if anyone is even available. Plus, you take on the risk of whatever asset you give up being better, or the player you receive not being a good fit, or any number of things in between. That's assuming a trade can even be reached in the first place. Failing that, you're just standing pat for the sake of it.

If Eric wants to come back here, and is agreeable to reasonable money, and the term isn't outrageous, then do it. This "moving on" stuff, like "tanking", is such a fan construct. He is a talented player, even if he isn't what he once was. This team, as it stands, isn't in position to turn away any help at the door.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
This "moving on" stuff, like "tanking", is such a fan construct. He is a talented player, even if he isn't what he once was. This team, as it stands, isn't in position to turn away any help at the door.
In some cases it's a fan construct, yes, but not in this case. This organization has tried to build around EStaal as the franchise cornerstone for years, constantly looking for complementary linemates to bolster his limitations while paying him as if he makes others around him better players.

Clearly, they wouldn't be building around him if he's re-signed but why acquiesce to an extended term for a declining, complementary player? It doesn't make sense, he's not adding leadership value like a rundown Brindy did as his performance fell way off. This team still needs more speed and playmakers and that isn't Staal so I'd take the $5M/year being floated and make better use of it via trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad