Confirmed with Link: Eric Staal (50% retained) to NYR for two 2nds (2016//2017) and Aleksi Saarela

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Depends on the pay, and what you need him to bring. A 40+ point possession dominant player is worth what? 5 million+? Who are some comparables?
Hard to imagine 3 years ago, but a guy like Frans Nielsen, to me, would provide better value than Eric Staal at this point. He'll likely go for a shorter term and certainly less money but production is likely to comparable. Very good puck possession guy and about the same age as Eric.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Nordstrom/Staal/Nestrasil
Aho/Lindholm/XXX
Skinner/Rask/PDG
XXX/McClement/Nash
Extra Forward
Lack
#2 Goalie

I admit that I might be a bit biased but I don't see Di Giuseppe on the 4th line even if Peters gives those guys more minutes than most.

Yeah, maybe he and Nordstrom switch up in the line-up I posted. If that's the line-up above though, that XXX on the Lindholm line better be a phenomenal player, or the 15/16 team will look like an offensive juggernaut compared to it.

EDIT: Wally beat me to it.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yeah, maybe he and Nordstrom switch up in the line-up I posted. If that's the line-up above though, that XXX on the Lindholm line better be a phenomenal player, or the 15/16 team will look like an offensive juggernaut compared to it.

EDIT: Wally beat me to it.

Yeah, this was an exercise to see what it would look like and you and Wally are exactly correct. Something's gonna have to give and/or somebody's gonna have to take a big step and/or GMRF is going to have to find one or two serious scorers.

Let's face it we should be able to pencil Skinner in for 50+ points and Lindholm has the skill and talent level to get there too. Jordan's on that pace this year. But there's nobody on that configuration that screams "dangerous".

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Hard to imagine 3 years ago, but a guy like Frans Nielsen, to me, would provide better value than Eric Staal at this point. He'll likely go for a shorter term and certainly less money but production is likely to comparable. Very good puck possession guy and about the same age as Eric.

I'm not willing to assume any of this. That is the scenario in which I think Staal should be brought back. If the options are him, no one, or someone worse, it makes no sense to go with no one just for the sake of "moving on". That was really my original point. I know the cap space won't disappear if it's not being used, but I'm not confident that it'll be filled at any point if it's not filled early on.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Thanks, AK. Due to where we are in the standings, it's unlikely we win either of Laine or Pulji, so it was great for us to get him. Very excited to see him in action with Aho in the future. Hope you can continue to follow them. We should have a pretty good young team in the near future.

This year there is a draft lottery for the top3 picks, so there is a chance you get one of those. It would be awesome to have Laine, Aho and Saarela on 1 line in the NHL

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I'm not willing to assume any of this. That is the scenario in which I think Staal should be brought back. If the options are him, no one, or someone worse, it makes no sense to go with no one just for the sake of "moving on". That was really my original point. I know the cap space won't disappear if it's not being used, but I'm not confident that it'll be filled at any point if it's not filled early on.
It's not simply for the sake of moving on, it's to improve the roster. You're applying your own filters to a different point now. Nielsen would be the perfect 3C.

He is a player who at this point who fills more needs than Staal would for the Canes, e.g., better playmaker, adept at both PK and PP, etc. Staal is better at faceoffs but that's hardly a team weakness. Nielsen will certainly get less money and term and given recent trends, it's a good bet he'll outperform Staal given comparable minutes.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
This year there is a draft lottery for the top3 picks, so there is a chance you get one of those. It would be awesome to have Laine, Aho and Saarela on 1 line in the NHL

Of course there is a chance but as the poster said, it's unlikely. Based on where the Canes are in the standings right now, the Canes have 2.5% chance of winning the 1st lottery. The MOST that can go up to in the 2nd round of the lottery is to 3.25% (if the worst team wins round 1) and the MOST it can go up to in the 3rd round of the lottery is 3.8% (if the worst team and 2nd worst team win the 1st two rounds).

Let's say the Canes struggle though. I think realistically, the worst the Canes will end up is 9th place. In that case, there numbers are:

5% for 1st lottery
Best case 6.25% for 2nd lottery
Best case 7.5% for 3rd lottery.

So as you can see, there is a chance, but it's still unlikely.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Of course there is a chance but as the poster said, it's unlikely. Based on where the Canes are in the standings right now, the Canes have 2.5% chance of winning the 1st lottery. The MOST that can go up to in the 2nd round of the lottery is to 3.25% (if the worst team wins round 1) and the MOST it can go up to in the 3rd round of the lottery is 3.8% (if the worst team and 2nd worst team win the 1st two rounds).

Let's say the Canes struggle though. I think realistically, the worst the Canes will end up is 9th place. In that case, there numbers are:

5% for 1st lottery
Best case 6.25% for 2nd lottery
Best case 7.5% for 3rd lottery.

So as you can see, there is a chance, but it's still unlikely.

well, edmonton is picking first and toronto will pick 4th, so picking 3rd is almost 1 in 10, i'll take that

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
It's not simply for the sake of moving on, it's to improve the roster. You're applying your own filters to a different point now. Nielsen would be the perfect 3C.

He is a player who at this point who fills more needs than Staal would for the Canes, e.g., better playmaker, adept at both PK and PP, etc. Staal is better at faceoffs but that's hardly a team weakness. Nielsen will certainly get less money and term and given recent trends, it's a good bet he'll outperform Staal given comparable minutes.

And you're responding to the post you wanted me to write instead of the one I did write. See, this is why I don't come here anymore.

I'm not debating the merits of Nielsen. I don't think he's a better option, or that he'll be cheaper, or that he'd even be wiling to come here. You do. That's fine. What I'm saying is, if the options are 1) nobody 2) worse 3) Staal, then it makes no sense to "move on".

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
well, edmonton is picking first and toronto will pick 4th, so picking 3rd is almost 1 in 10, i'll take that

That's not the case though. If EDM and TOR don't win the 1st two rounds, the odds don't increase as much for round 3 so it won't be that high. The odds are variable based on who wins it.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
That's not the case though. If EDM and TOR don't win the 1st two rounds, the odds don't increase as much for round 3 so it won't be that high. The odds are variable based on who wins it.

I know, I was just being stupid. ie: Edmonton always picks first and I really wanna see Toronto finish last then pick 4th and I am pretty sure that I am not the only one :laugh:

rip in peace Matthew Tkachuk :(

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
And you're responding to the post you wanted me to write instead of the one I did write. See, this is why I don't come here anymore.

I'm not debating the merits of Nielsen. I don't think he's a better option, or that he'll be cheaper, or that he'd even be wiling to come here. You do. That's fine. What I'm saying is, if the options are 1) nobody 2) worse 3) Staal, then it makes no sense to "move on".

Again, I'm not advocating bring Staal back, but I think people gloss over this point. UNLESS the Canes overpay him, I don't see why Nielsen (or any other UFA for that matter) will come to Carolina. Yes, the Canes are building something, but we aren't there yet. IMO, right now, Carolina is not an attractive spot for UFAs.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC

You're totally missing the point. Your lens certainly was on the topic of moving on and I clearly stated I was making a different point, as I already addressed your notion of moving on previously. I added a rationale about Nielsen since someone else asked for an example.

What you're missing is that they've already moved on from Staal. You are assuming they want him back or that he will want to come back based on the offer.

And this is why you don't come here anymore? Oh please. Get over yourself. If you can't handle simple discussion then that's on you.

Again, I'm not advocating bring Staal back, but I think people gloss over this point. UNLESS the Canes overpay him, I don't see why Nielsen (or any other UFA for that matter) will come to Carolina. Yes, the Canes are building something, but we aren't there yet. IMO, right now, Carolina is not an attractive spot for UFAs.
To clarify, I wasn't implying Nielsen would or even might come here but rather answering a question about a comparable player in terms of possession and anticipated salary.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
You're totally missing the point. Your lens certainly was on the topic of moving on and I clearly stated I was making a different point, as I already addressed your notion of moving on previously. I added a rationale about Nielsen since someone else asked for an example.

What you're missing is that they've already moved on from Staal. You are assuming they want him back or that he will want to come back based on the offer.

To clarify, I wasn't implying Nielsen would or even might come here but rather answering a question about a comparable player in terms of possession and anticipated salary.

Nielson definitely fits in the ball park of comparables. If he were willing to come here for cheaper, (or at all), that should definitely be considered vs. Eric.

Again, I think the big reason some of us are looking at Staal the hardest, is we know he might want to play here. Who's the last sought after free agent to sign in Carolina? Has there ever been one? Francis in '98 I guess.

I don't think it's far fetched to assume 0 free agents of consequence will be available to the Hurricanes this offseason.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
lol the rangers

hilarious watching them bang their heads into the exact same wall in the exact same fashion every single year.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Nielson definitely fits in the ball park of comparables. If he were willing to come here for cheaper, (or at all), that should definitely be considered vs. Eric.

Again, I think the big reason some of us are looking at Staal the hardest, is we know he might want to play here. Who's the last sought after free agent to sign in Carolina? Has there ever been one? Francis in '98 I guess.

I don't think it's far fetched to assume 0 free agents of consequence will be available to the Hurricanes this offseason.
Honestly, I think Nielsen is invested heavily in staying with NYI if they don't opt to go with younger, cheaper options given their other free agents. I get what you're saying about attracting other UFA's, and that's a big reason why I was proposing a trade previously to add an impact F, but this franchise can't afford to settle for being an also-ran in free agency. Francis can use his own experience in trying to actively recruit players. Many UFA's will make a money grab only and/or look to bigger markets but you can't accept the idea of overpaying for a declining player just because he might be interested in coming back. It may come down to that but it just seems odd that with all the Staal bashing over the last couple seasons, he'd get so much attention now that he's gone. Maybe he's dealing with another undisclosed injury and he'll bounce back but he's looking like a total non-factor on the ice.

If they keep barely playing him, not sure he'll want to stay if they can make the cap room for him.
Never say never but this literally no chance he's going to be signed there. The true definition of a rental if there ever was one.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
lol the rangers

hilarious watching them bang their heads into the exact same wall in the exact same fashion every single year.

I hear you. Those teams that finish top-2 in their division year after year, and make it to the Stanley Cup finals and conference finals in back to back years really do have some soul searching to do.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2016/3/4/11160364/rangers-vs-penguins-sleeping-in-pittsburgh

Last night in the third period Tanner Glass played 1:40 more than newly acquired Eric Staal did in the third period 5v5. The common excuse was "Staal is still getting acclimated to the team, you can't look at his usage." I'm sorry, but that's a nonsensical argument. Down by two in a divisional game where the Rangers are trying to secure their playoff spot and you're not upset about Glass playing more than Staal in a critical third period? Staal is an elite player in this league, if the honest argument from the coach is he can't handle playing with guys who he's not totally comfortable with yet and Glass playing more is a better option then that's insane. Especially since said player was worth two second round picks and a top prospect. If Staal is supposed to be the missing piece to a Stanley Cup run, it doesn't bode well that he isn't playing as much as a spare part enforcer in the third period of a big game. I'm sorry, but it's true. And that no one thought enough about it to ask Vigneault after the game what the hell the thinking was (if Staal is hurt that would be a good thing to know, but I doubt it) is equally crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad