Confirmed with Link: Eric Staal (50% retained) to NYR for two 2nds (2016//2017) and Aleksi Saarela

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Follow
Bob McKenzie ✔‎@TSNBobMcKenzie
Not official by any means, but I believe CAR will receive two 2nd-round picks and quite possibly Finnish prospect Aleksi Saarela. #TSN

drganon

Jun 24, 2014
eric-staal.jpg

We'll always have 2006...

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
in nhl 15 i drafted saarela and he won the richard trophy twice

but other than that i know very little about him lol

tough that no one would give up something along the lines of dano+1st, but take what you can get, its certainly not nothing as far as return goes

Revenge of the Sieve

In Ronnie We Trust
Oct 8, 2010
Retaining 50% of remaining salary too - wonder if RF had to take a little less to get to a place that Eric would waive his NTC for.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
in nhl 15 i drafted saarela and he won the richard trophy twice

but other than that i know very little about him lol

tough that no one would give up something along the lines of dano+1st, but take what you can get, its certainly not nothing as far as return goes

Apparently, according to the Rangers board Aho and Saarela go way back.

Not sure what is//was the connection tho

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Two seconds and a prospect. OK. Was hoping for a first, but maybe RF's hands were tied a bit.

Saarela drafted 89th overall in 2015. Looks like we're stocking back up on Finns, hm?

Thehair17

Nov 2, 2013
Alberta
Rangers fans singing praises on Saarela, Big and fast with good hands.
That said, it will be really strange to see Staal in a different jersey.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Pretty happy with the return. With Staal's play this year, and his refusal to waive to any Eastern team except NYR, that's probably the best Francis could get.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hi guys, Rangers fan here, want to help you out with a scouting report.

Saarela's a very good prospect, don't be fooled by the draft position, dropped to the third because of injuries and a bad draft year, but he's probably late first in a re-draft. Center who plays a well rounded game, very good on face-offs, good defensively, good on the forecheck, skating's fine, not excellent, okay passer, but he's more of a shoot first player, very quick release, scores a lot of goals. Only 5'10, but he's really strong, about 200 pounds already, his build is reminiscent of someone like Crosby. Can play wing, but should be able to stay at center. Should be at least a good middle six player, maybe more, plays all the situations. Crazy productive in Liiga this season, best player on his team already, leading Finnish goalscorer in the league despite missing 9 games. You guys got a good prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad