Elias Pettersson vs. Auston Matthews

Who would you take going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
...just not as good as the guy he's compared to.
Sometimes yes sometimes no. I can find a whole pile of leaf fans that vote for Matthews in every poll. Does that mean they’re crapping on every other player? And should Matthews only be compared to players clearly below him? What’s the point in that?

Wandering Cynic

Dec 2, 2011
Parts Unknown
You are basing this off one post season. Matthews has showed up in tons of big games against difficult teams hence 12 goals in 25 playoff games.

If Vancouver played the 2017 Washington Capitals, 2018 Boston Bruins or 2019 Boston Bruins are we having this same discussion?
I mean they played the reigning cup champs and the Vegas Golden Knights (both top tier teams). It's not like they were playing a bunch of chumps.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
I mean they played the reigning cup champs and the Vegas Golden Knights (both top tier teams). It's not like they were playing a bunch of chumps.

Blues were worst team in the bubble (large in part due to goal tending) and Vegas is absolutely dominating the Canucks. Would have been over in 4 barring two amazing goal tending performances.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Are Pettersson and McDavids regular season stats as close as Pettersson and Matthews? No they’re not. No one is saying the only thing that matters is the playoffs, but some people seem to be saying it doesn’t matter at all

Matthews and Peterssens regular season stats arent close. Matthews scores more goals than Petey does assists.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Sometimes yes sometimes no. I can find a whole pile of leaf fans that vote for Matthews in every poll. Does that mean they’re crapping on every other player? And should Matthews only be compared to players clearly below him? What’s the point in that?

What's the point is exactly my question here.

We should really be comparing Petterssen to his peers, or at least finding another guy to "vs", not a guy who loses polls to every other star.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Are Pettersson and McDavids regular season stats as close as Pettersson and Matthews? No they’re not. No one is saying the only thing that matters is the playoffs, but some people seem to be saying it doesn’t matter at all

Perfect example is the current discussion about MacKinnon versus McDavid. MacKinnon's playoff performance is causing a lot of "is he better than McDavid" threads because their regular season performances are at least in the same ballpark to warrant the question.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
What's the point is exactly my question here.

We should really be comparing Petterssen to his peers, or at least finding another guy to "vs", not a guy who loses polls to every other star.
I think you’re playing the victim a bit much here. Matthews doesn’t lose every poll and in what way is Matthews not one of Petterssons peers?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Perfect example is the current discussion about MacKinnon versus McDavid. MacKinnon's playoff performance is causing a lot of "is he better than McDavid" threads because their regular season performances are at least in the same ballpark to warrant the question.
Exactly. And having that conversation doesn’t mean that either of them is getting crapped on or run down.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Their first 2 years in the league are very close and you know that.

One scored 40 goals and was on pace for 50 his 2nd year. How many players do that in their first 2 years?

Much more impressive than the other player imho.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
So then Laine > Marner?

I value goal scoring more than assists and they both are weak defensively. Both are a step below elite but good players.

I'd actually compare Marner to Petterssen more than to Matthews. Similar tier of player imo. A step below the Matthews, Pastrnak, Kucherov tier.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
I don’t question the compete level of either. I think both guys really want to win, but I like Pettersson’s character over Matthews’. And that goes a long ways for me.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You are basing this off one post season. Matthews has showed up in tons of big games against difficult teams hence 12 goals in 25 playoff games.

If Vancouver played the 2017 Washington Capitals, 2018 Boston Bruins or 2019 Boston Bruins are we having this same discussion?
Meh. The 2020 St. Louis Blues and the Vegas Knights are as good or better than those teams. At some point you need to discard the excuses. Winning in the playoffs is always difficult. There are never easy matchups.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
So just skirt around the actual question?

I said I value goal scoring more than assists did you even read what I said? However, Laine doesn't score goals at the same rate Marner produces assists. I said it is close when both players are on their game as both have had consistency problems.

Marner produces assists at a better rate than Petey. That is why I am saying Marner is a better person to compare Petey with than Matthews as they are both playmakers.

Is Marner better than Petterssen? Point wise its an easy yes imo.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Meh. The 2020 St. Louis Blues and the Vegas Knights are as good or better than those teams. At some point you need to discard the excuses. Winning in the playoffs is always difficult. There are never easy matchups.

Vegas yes I 100% agree. They are dominating the series it is ridiculous the canucks are alive. Much credit to the canucks goal tending.

The Bruins and the caps both were amazing teams. This isn't excuses. I am merely saying it is really tough to compare playoffs as different quality of competition occcurs. That is why you compare regular season because generally all things are equal over time.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I said I value goal scoring more than assists did you even read what I said? However, Laine doesn't score goals at the same rate Marner produces assists. I said it is close when both players are on their game as both have had consistency problems.

Marner produces assists at a better rate than Petey. That is why I am saying Marner is a better person to compare Petey with than Matthews as they are both playmakers.

Is Marner better than Petterssen? Point wise its an easy yes imo.
But Pettersson scores goals at a much higher rate than Marner, so why shift to points now? So when it’s Matthews vs Pettersson it’s about goals, Marner vs Laine it’s about assists, and Marner vs Pettersson it’s total points. I’m going to have to start writing this down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad