Who would you take going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Vancouver has a pretty good supporting cast, albeit not Cup-contender level (even though they are two wins away from the Conference Finals), and their team is arguably the best roster in Canada. EP isn't hurting for support, as he has Miller, Horvat, Boeser, and Hughes who are all high level offensive players.

Toronto has a counterpart to each one of those players who is currently a better offensive player.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Pettersson is a great player and is emerging as an elite star player, but Matthews goal scoring numbers are just ridiculous. The guy finished 2nd in the rocket twice in his 4 year career, and who knows where he would have finished in those other 2 years where he was hampered with injuries. In his 4 years in the league, Matthews is..

1st in even strength goals (despite injuries)
2nd in goals (despite injuries)
2nd in GPG with .56 over 285 games

And those 2nd places are to Ovi. It's a huge sample size that indicative of how much of an elite goal scorer he is. Since his 40 goal rookie seasons, he's scored at a 45 goal pace the past 3 years (scoring 47 last year).

I think, if healthy, Matthews is a sure bet 45-55 goal scorer going forward with potential to have 60 goal seasons . The only other players I put into that goal scoring bracket are Ovi, Drai, Pasta and possibly McDavid going forward.

Sure Petterson can be the better player, but one playoff run is too small. Players have hot years, season and/or post-season. Large sample size is indicative of the talent level, and for 4 years Matthews has been an elite goal scorer in the league. It surprises me though that people think Petersen is a 100 point potential player, while Matthews is not.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think, if healthy, Matthews is a sure bet 45-55 goal scorer going forward with potential to have 60 goal seasons . The only other players I put into that goal scoring bracket are Ovi, Drai, Pasta and possibly McDavid going forward.
In Matthews rookie season he played all 82 games and scored 40 goals.

This past season he played in all 70 games the Leafs played and had 47 goals. If all 82 games were played and Matthews plays in them chances are he ends up with 55 or 56 goals.

So I think Matthews has already proven what he can do when he doesn't miss any games due to injury which effected him during the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I honestly don't remember anyone calling Pettersson an elite goal scorer and I think only using their point totals after 2 years is a way to make him look better then Matthews since they had the same amount.
So you know think that using 4 years for one vs 2 years for the other, or only using goals is not a way to make only one player look better?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
It seems to me whenever Matthews is compared to any other players no matter if it's Pettersson or previous comparisons to Jack Eichel and Patrik Laine, it always comes down to his point totals. So if I was going to compare what their point totals was after their 2nd seasons since they happened to get the same amount, I would also have included how he was also head in goals scored at 74 - 55.
You’re telling me that in the old comparisons of Laine and Matthews that points was the focus? You know as well as I do that those 2 were compared as goal scorers.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Matthews easily. If Matthews was playing with the Canucks right now; nucks would be leading the series against VGK. EP has better team support than AM

perhaps better to put this to poll after EP's elc is expired and he signs a new deal.
So with EP and Matthews both removed from their teams you would pick the Canucks?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You’re telling me that in the old comparisons of Laine and Matthews that points was the focus? You know as well as I do that those 2 were compared as goal scorers.
When Laine got 70 points in his 2nd season some people brought up how he got to that specific number before Matthews did.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Matthews easily. If Matthews was playing with the Canucks right now; nucks would be leading the series against VGK. EP has better team support than AM

perhaps better to put this to poll after EP's elc is expired and he signs a new deal.
So you take the second leading scorer in the playoffs off of the Canucks and the Canucks would somehow be doing better?
I ain’t buying what you’re selling.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
So you know think that using 4 years for one vs 2 years for the other, or only using goals is not a way to make only one player look better?

Better way to look at it would be there D+2 and D+3 seasons, since both have played those years.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
In Matthews rookie season he played all 82 games and scored 40 goals.

This past season he played in all 70 games the Leafs played and had 47 goals. If all 82 games were played and Matthews plays in them chances are he ends up with 55 or 56 goals.

So I think Matthews has already proven what he can do when he doesn't miss any games due to injury which effected him during the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons.

I agree with you that Matthews was a lock for 50. That’s about all though. Everything else is “might have paced” nonsense. He had a 3 goal in 13 game stretch during this very season. In his final 15 games of this season, he had 7 goals and 12 points. Being a normal star player that is not a generational talent, I don’t give the benefit of the doubt.

I think there was a 99% chance of at least 50 goals on the nose and a 90% chance of least 90 points, but anything more is guesswork, speculation, and fingers crossed for fun talking points.

It’s nice to be so adamant and sure that he would have hit 56 goals, but it’s such a high number that’s been touched only 6 separate times by 4 players since the start of the 1996-1997 season that I can’t help but be skeptical.

Ovechkin 65, Stamkos 60, Bure 59, Bure 58, Cheechoo 56, Ovechkin 56. That’s it since Lemieux and Jagr both topped 60 in 1995-1996. No one has been higher than 53 since the end of 2008-2009 except Stamkos in 2011-2012.

Ovechkin is the only one I trust to have hit at finished with least 54 if those remaining 12 or so games were played. He’s the only one who has earned the benefit of the doubt and I’ve been vocal about my doubt with him continuing to nail 50 over and over quite often yet I still trust him over these other “goal scorers”.

Last edited:
Reactions: filinski77

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I agree with you that Matthews was a lock for 50. That’s about all though. Everything else is “might have paced” nonsense. He had a 3 goal in 13 game stretch during this very season. In his final 15 games of this season, he had 7 goals and 12 points. Being a normal star player that is not a generational talent, I don’t give the benefit of the doubt.

I think there was a 99% chance of at least 50 goals on the nose and a 90% chance of least 90 points, but anything more is guesswork, speculation, and fingers crossed for fun talking points.

It’s nice to be so adamant and sure that he would have hit 56 goals, but it’s such a high number that’s been touched only 6 separate times by 4 players since the start of the 1996-1997 season that I can’t help but be skeptical.

Ovechkin 65, Stamkos 60, Bure 59, Bure 58, Cheechoo 56, Ovechkin 56. That’s it since Lemieux and Jagr both topped 60 in 1995-1996.

Ovechkin is the only one I trust to have hit at finished with least 54 if those remaining 12 or so games were played. He’s the only one who has earned the benefit of the doubt and I’ve been vocal about my doubt with him continuing to nail 50 over and over quite often yet I still trust him over these other “goal scorers”.
I believe Matthews was on pace for 56 goals after the Leafs game on March 10 which was their last game played before the season got suspended. So that's why I said that number and it would also have set a new Leafs record for most goals scored in a season, because the current number is 54 goals scored by Rick Vaive.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Matthews first 2 seasons were his D+1 and D+2. Pettersson D+2 and D+3.

Pettersson's playoffs certainly are impressive though.
If you want to count Pettserssen's D+1. This is what he did.
I think they are close enough in age to compare their first 2 seasons in the NHL where both Matthews and Petterssen were both 19 when the season started in their rookie years.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I believe Matthews was on pace for 56 goals after the Leafs game on March 10 which was their last game played before the season got suspended. So that's why I said that number and it would also have set a new Leafs record for most goals scored in a season, because the current number is 54 goals scored by Rick Vaive.

My long boring post was meant to say that pace is worthless and the only one who should be trusted to touch large goal numbers consistently is Ovechkin.

To demonstrate how pointless pace is, consider that Matthews had 40 goals in 55 games after Feb 7th. That’s a 59.6 goal/82 game pace.

If the season was suspended then, those would be the new numbers and they would still hold true for breaking that Vaive’s record speculation. If you were told that 15 more games could be played to get up to his real life 70 games played, he should have 51 goals according to you and anyone who uses pace as an argument.

In reality though, he had 47 goals.

I don’t trust pace and projections unless the players names are Gretzky and Lemieux. They were as bullet proof as one could be because they didn’t go through prolonged slumps and in the case of Lemieux, if he did, he would go ballistic and pile up 8 points after he went pointless a couple of nights.

And Ovechkin in the midst of another clearly 50+ goal campaign can be counted on to finish with anywhere from 6-10 goals with 13 games for him remaining to be the only with a realistic shot at 56 or above.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
My long boring post was meant to say that pace is worthless and the only one who should be trusted to touch large goal numbers consistently is Ovechkin.

To demonstrate how pointless pace is, consider that Matthews had 40 goals in 55 games after Feb 7th. That’s a 59.6 goal/82 game pace.

If the season was suspended then, those would be the new numbers and they would still hold true for breaking that Vaive’s record speculation. If you were told that 15 more games could be played to get up to his real life 70 games played, he should have 51 goals according to you and anyone who uses pace as an argument.

In reality though, he had 47 goals.

I don’t trust pace and projections unless the players names are Gretzky and Lemieux. They were as bullet proof as one could be because they didn’t go through prolonged slumps and in the case of Lemieux, if he did, he would go ballistic and pile up 8 points after he went pointless a couple of nights.

And Ovechkin in the midst of another clearly 50+ goal campaign.
I realize pace means nothing unless a player gets those specific numbers.

I was just stating at that time Matthews on pace to set a new Leafs record for goals scored in a season and no one thought the 2019-20 regular season was going to be suspended and eventually not re-started when Bettman made that announcement saying it was over and they would go right to the playoffs in the two bubble cities.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
So with EP and Matthews both removed from their teams you would pick the Canucks?

Easily. Do you watch Canucks play? That team plays like a coherent unit with puck pressure and back-check; if Matthews played on a team like that he would be very hard to handle

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I realize pace means nothing unless a player gets those specific numbers.

I was just stating at that time Matthews on pace to set a new Leafs record for goals scored in a season and no one thought the 2019-20 regular season was going to be suspended and eventually not re-started when Bettman made that announcement saying it was over and they would go right to the playoffs in the two bubble cities.

I can only comment on what you posted.

“This past season he played in all 70 games the Leafs played and had 47 goals. If all 82 games were played and Matthews plays in them chances are he ends up with 55 or 56 goals.”

“Chances are” is what it sounds like. A much better shot than not.

If you’re telling me now it’s all about commenting on what the Leafs record is, I’ll shut this down and take your word for it. Peace.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Whoa whoa. You specifically told me in a different thread that you cannot use pace and only what a player actually got for totals

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Whoa whoa. You specifically told me in a different thread that you cannot use pace and only what a player actually got for totals
He changes his positions more often than most people change their underwear.
Now pace only counts if it favours the Leaf player.
Well if we’re playing that game, Pettersson is on pace for 94 points over an 82 game playoff sample with 18 points in 15 games. Matthews has 19 points in 25 playoff games for a 62 point pace. :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad