Elias Pettersson vs. Auston Matthews

Who would you take going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I dont know what it is, but watching AM play, he kind of has a i dont give a crap attitude.... so much natural talent there, just needs to commit more maybe?

I have to agree he just doesn't seem very excited on ice especially without puck. He is insanely dangerous shooting that biscuit though. He looks almost disinterested sometimes to me maybe it's just his way but almost seems like isn't trying as best he can.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think Petey plays a better two-way game. AM is a better goal scorer.
Based on the metrics, stat line and analytics you have to say AM is better.

HOWEVER, based on what Petey is doing in the playoffs....and how much he's improved over these three series, i bet you that by the end of next season, he'll have a stat line very much in line with AM while still providing better two-way play.

Right now AM is better. However my guess is that Petey takes him next year.
I dont know what it is, but watching AM play, he kind of has a i dont give a crap attitude.... so much natural talent there, just needs to commit more maybe?
Pretty fair summary, imo.
Matthews is by far the better goal scorer and that's a valuable player.
EP is the better playmaker and better defensive player.
Both are very valuable. Pettersson's play in the playoffs tips it in his favour I think.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Matthews was on pace for 45 goals as a sophomore, not 50.

You know you're wrong when you have to lie in order to try and make a point.

Also, you have been proven to be very biased with your reasoning so dont hold your breath waiting for others to take you seriously.
Also that post was in response to his first 2 seasons so he didn’t have a higher ppg either and his D stats certainly weren’t better at that point.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Also that post was in response to his first 2 seasons so he didn’t have a higher ppg either and his D stats certainly weren’t better at that point.
First 2 years:

Auston Matthews - 135 take aways - Plus 27 - 51.4% on draw
Elias Petterssen - 77 take aways - Plus 19 - 41.4% on draw

Auston Matthes played in draft year
Elias Petterssen played in draft year + 1

Matthews had more defensive zone starts too.

Matthews has lead league in even strength goals since he joined league.

Also voting (by analysts):
Matthews = Lady Byng - 6, Calder - 1, Hart - 11, Selke 38 (first year)
Petterssen = Lady Byng - 24, Calder 1 (first year)

Keep calling me a liar when I have yet to see one stat that shows he is better defensive in his first 2 years with an extra year to bake.

Please provide me a stat instead of just bringing up the same stuff we are going in circles.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It's Toronto vs Everybody. You think those "neutral" fans aren't anti leafs fans like yourself? I live in Vancouver and cheer for the Canucks and Leafs. I am neutral.

I am also a realist. So call it how I see it.

I'm moving to Vancouver next year. Glad to know that once I arrive, I'll be the bastion of objectivity for any Canucks Vs. Sharks polls. I'll keep that in mind for any Horvat Vs. Hertl polls should they arise.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
First 2 years:

Auston Matthews - 135 take aways - Plus 27 - 51.4% on draw
Elias Petterssen - 77 take aways - Plus 19 - 41.4% on draw

Auston Matthes played in draft year
Elias Petterssen played in draft year + 1

Matthews had more defensive zone starts too.

Matthews has lead league in even strength goals since he joined league.

Also voting (by analysts):
Matthews = Lady Byng - 6, Calder - 1, Hart - 11, Selke 38 (first year)
Petterssen = Lady Byng - 24, Calder 1 (first year)

Keep calling me a liar when I have yet to see one stat that shows he is better defensive in his first 2 years with an extra year to bake.

Please provide me a stat instead of just bringing up the same stuff we are going in circles.
Where did I say liar? It’s a fact that several of your stats in that post were wrong. If you’re going to get offended by someone fact checking your post maybe you need to go somewhere else. I don’t have the time to fact check another long winded post from you.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Where did I say liar? It’s a fact that several of your stats in that post were wrong. If you’re going to get offended by someone fact checking your post maybe you need to go somewhere else. I don’t have the time to fact check another long winded post from you.

So are you ever gonna post any evidence? Or is it worth continuing this debate?

I admit I made a mistake that he was on pace for 45 goals. 45 goal as a sophomore is still really impressive and being a year ahead of petey in development.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Is he not a jets fan? Which category should he have voted in?
This guys story is just something else that I don't want to get into. Long story short, he was a "leaf" fan, then banished , then became a fan of whatever team had an opposite association with the leafs... Right now I think he's an Islanders fan, it may have changed. No clue. I don't see his posts.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
So are you ever gonna post any evidence? Or is it worth continuing this debate?

I admit I made a mistake that he was on pace for 45 goals. 45 goal as a sophomore is still really impressive and being a year ahead of petey in development.
Also Pettersson had a better ppg after 2 seasons, is certainly no slouch in goal scoring, and it’s common knowledge that he is currently better defensively than Matthews was his first 2 seasons. You know as well as I do Matthews was quite bad the first two seasons and I don’t need to go digging up some debatable advanced stats for that. I haven’t even voted cause I personally feel it’s too close to call. But I feel like you and some other leaf fans are being incredibly misleading with your “stats”.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
This guys story is just something else that I don't want to get into. Long story short, he was a "leaf" fan, then banished , then became a fan of whatever team had an opposite association with the leafs... Right now I think he's an Islanders fan, it may have changed. No clue. I don't see his posts.
Ok well the point still stands that he’s not a leaf fan and not a Canuck fan so where should he have voted? Does he have some bias? I’d say yeah, does that mean that around 40 leaf fans don’t get a vote either?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Note: I don't adhere to the following being 100% the be-all, end-all. However, you asked for "defensive stats" and these are some that help paint a picture.

CA/60 (Yr 1, Yr 2):
Matthews - 58.92, 61.75
Pettersson - 57.00, 52.40

FA/60:
Matthews - 45.07, 46.44
Pettersson - 41.99, 38.21

SA/60:
Matthews - 31.58, 34.23
Pettersson - 29.7, 28.84

GA/60:
Matthews - 2.38, 2.00
Pettersson - 2.78, 2.34

xGA/60:
Matthews - 2.52, 2.62
Pettersson - 2.33, 2.21

SCA/60:
Matthews - 27.44, 30.94
Pettersson - 29.58, 26.49

HDCA/60:
Matthews - 10.96, 11.56
Pettersson - 10.62, 8.72

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Ok well the point still stands that he’s not a leaf fan and not a Canuck fan so where should he have voted? Does he have some bias? I’d say yeah, does that mean that around 40 leaf fans don’t get a vote either?
It was just funny seeing his name . I still believe he's a closet leaf fan. But just a very negative bitter one. Lol

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
It was just funny seeing his name . I still believe he's a closet leaf fan. But just a very negative bitter one. Lol
Lol. Fair enough. Polls are always good for seeing some silly names in silly places

Reactions: Metroid

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Not that it's an unfair comparison but as a Leafs can we just compare every great young center to Eichel instead? I think if we made this simple change hfboards would be more tolerable, these threads don't tend to go well.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Also Pettersson had a better ppg after 2 seasons, is certainly no slouch in goal scoring, and it’s common knowledge that he is currently better defensively than Matthews was his first 2 seasons. You know as well as I do Matthews was quite bad the first two seasons and I don’t need to go digging up some debatable advanced stats for that. I haven’t even voted cause I personally feel it’s too close to call. But I feel like you and some other leaf fans are being incredibly misleading with your “stats”.

Who thinks its common knowledge? You?

You haven't provided any of your own stats u just say its common knowledge. Let other people do the arguing for you because you haven't brought anything to the table.

Why was Matthews receiving Selke votes in his first year? Is he that bad on d?

Matthews has a better chance of winning a selke than petey over his career and in the next couple years.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Note: I don't adhere to the following being 100% the be-all, end-all. However, you asked for "defensive stats" and these are some that help paint a picture.

CA/60 (Yr 1, Yr 2):
Matthews - 58.92, 61.75
Pettersson - 57.00, 52.40

FA/60:
Matthews - 45.07, 46.44
Pettersson - 41.99, 38.21

SA/60:
Matthews - 31.58, 34.23
Pettersson - 29.7, 28.84

GA/60:
Matthews - 2.38, 2.00
Pettersson - 2.78, 2.34

xGA/60:
Matthews - 2.52, 2.62
Pettersson - 2.33, 2.21

SCA/60:
Matthews - 27.44, 30.94
Pettersson - 29.58, 26.49

HDCA/60:
Matthews - 10.96, 11.56
Pettersson - 10.62, 8.72

It's worth noting Matthews played in a much lower scoring league in his first two years as well. The baseline for metrics such as GA/60 or xGA/60 was much higher in Pettersson's first two seasons, so the fact that Pettersson still posted lower numbers just shows how wide the gap is.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Is he not a jets fan? Which category should he have voted in?

I'm sorry but we need a "Leafs hater voting..." option in these polls, it sounds stupid but this website is a cesspool of bitter trolls, so ya know, when in Rome.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
It's worth noting Matthews played in a much lower scoring league in his first two years as well. The baseline for metrics such as GA/60 or xGA/60 was much higher in Pettersson's first two seasons, so the fact that Pettersson still posted lower numbers just shows how wide the gap is.

I think that's a good point but I hope you also keep that in mind while looking at offensive numbers.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Who thinks its common knowledge? You?

You haven't provided any of your own stats u just say its common knowledge. Let other people do the arguing for you because you haven't brought anything to the table.

Why was Matthews receiving Selke votes in his first year? Is he that bad on d?

Matthews has a better chance of winning a selke than petey over his career and in the next couple years.
Sure, boss. There’s stats posted just above that I’m sure you’ll ignore.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I'm sorry but we need a "Leafs hater voting..." option in these polls, it sounds stupid but this website is a cesspool of bitter trolls, so ya know, when in Rome.
Picking EP over AM is not exactly hating. Valid cases can be made for either player, and wouldn't be wrong.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Sure, there are a number of those, but then we’d also need a “voting for the leaf player no matter what” option and it will start to get very confusing

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Sure, boss. There’s stats posted just above that I’m sure you’ll ignore.

This is the funny thing about analytics. It ignores scenerios on the ice such as:

Matthews 37% Defensive Zone starts year 1. 49% year 2.
Petey 29.5% Defensive Zone starts year 1. 38.6% year 2.

One was sheltered clearly a lot more than the other.

One is also a year younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad