Elias Pettersson vs. Auston Matthews

Who would you take going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews because he's already had 40, 34, 37, and 47 goal seasons.

Just because Pettersson has had more postseason success isn't good enough to go with him.

I also just realized I voted for Pettersson by mistake and I obviously meant to vote for Matthews in the Leafs fan column. So it would be great if @Koivu11 could edit the poll and let's us change our vote.

Edit: Thank you @Koivu11 for editing the poll.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mitch nylander

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Voted Pettersson he's really taken a step forward in playoffs and honestly, maybe my homerism Elias shows more complete game for me. Matthews is great at scoring goals but I see Pettersson as a much more complete player moving forward once he fills out. He's got a great shot and no one gonna argue whose better playmaker and his defensive game is coming along nicely. He sucks at faceoffs but other than needing to get stronger that's about his only obvious weakness. Matthews is a great scorer one of best in the league for sure but he's not in Pettersson's level as a passer. This is going forward as per OP and my opinion is Pettersson is just starting to get his confidence and will do even greater things. Matthews will always score more goals then Pettersson but I believe as soon as next season Pettersson will outscore Matthews for points.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Pettersson remains underrated on here, Matthews is as well, but people don’t understand just how good Elias Pettersson was at even strength this season. 2nd in the NHL in GAR 3rd in WAR, Canucks scored at 63% rate when he was on the ice and 44% when he was off.

43FC47B6-6962-47EF-B0C9-82F1352E5B1A.jpeg

AB793F6F-B97E-48A2-B7DD-F73E97860D5A.png

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Nah, anyone thinking he isn't a viable choice is out to lunch
No you guys are. Matthews scores more points, more points per game, WAAAYYYY more goals, was a top 7 guy in the league for point shares this season and a top 5 guy in offensive point shares and is solid two way. Pettersson has played one great playoffs. There has never been a point in their careers where he has been the better player.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Leafs fan saying it's really close. We're the last fanbase in the world that should be saying us > them AINEC when losing to a zamboni driver isn't even a top 5 most embarrassing moment of the season for us

It’s not close, perhaps the gap closes but Mathews is easily the better player today. These playoffs are pre season style, how may guys start off the season with a bang then fizzle out?

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
It’s not close, perhaps the gap closes but Mathews is easily the better player today. These playoffs are pre season style, how may guys start off the season with a bang then fizzle out?
Matthews is the man, I love that he's a Leaf. If he leaves it would be the straw that breaks the camels back for me and this cancer of a team but Pettersson is the real deal. I would take Matthews but both are in the same tier for me.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
How? He's at the very least the same caliber player and is younger, and there's a very very strong case to pick him here
Refer to post 14. The difference in goal scoring, point production and point shares is pretty big. Petey barely if at all has an edge in two way play. Matthewswas also top 7 in the league in total point shares and top 5 in offensive point shares while Petey wasn't top ten in either. He's never been better than Matthews and it's textbook recency bias to think these playoffs do it.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Maybe objectively you go Matthews. He's more proven, he's already filled out to a man's body, he's a ridiculous level goalscorer, who will probably win multiple Rockets, and he's a better all-around player than a lot of people give him credit for.

That said, as a Canucks fan though, I wouldn't trade Pettersson for him. Yea part of it is becoming attached to the player as he grows, but he's a legitimate choice here as well. The underlying metrics show his effect on GF% is extremely high, and watching him in these playoffs you really see how much of a gamer he is and how willing he is to push through physical play and take abuse to make a play. He needs to get stronger and there's no way to know how much he'll be able to get and whether that will affect other parts of his game, but I think he'll end up fine. As it stands, his vision, playmaking, shot and transition ability are all top notch. He backchecks like a madman, and looks like he has the potential to be an elite 2-way player. His play still screams Datsyuk whenever you watch him, and a lot of the underlying numbers like him in similar ways. He even has the potential to be a decently better goalscorer than Datsyuk.

Matthews is awesome and will probably go down as one of the best goalscorers of all time. He's very similar to a young Stamkos, except he's a better 5v5 goalscorer, and I think a better all-around player. But just as I would take Datsyuk over Stamkos, I would take Pettersson over Matthews here. Pettersson has more risk in reaching that level than Matthews has, but seeing his drive and competitiveness, I think he gets there.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
No you guys are. Matthews scores more points, more points per game, WAAAYYYY more goals, was a top 7 guy in the league for point shares this season and a top 5 guy in offensive point shares and is solid two way. Pettersson has played one great playoffs. There has never been a point in their careers where he has been the better player.

Point shares. Lol. RAPM and GAR point to Pettersson being better this year. He's currently a better play driver and has a greater effect on GF and GA. Matthews is more productive, but Pettersson isn't that far behind, is younger and clearly less physically developed. He's not a better player now, but he's not far enough away to think he might be better in the future, considering he has a lot of room to grow physically, and you can see watching him how often he just misses on play that likely work if he was just a little stronger

Last edited:
Reactions: Addison Rae

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street

I agree right now Matthews looks to be the better player.

Matthews was on pace for 50+ goals and 90+ points. He will be a perennial threat for the Rocket from here on in. He is a gifted goal scorer. This is what makes him elite in my opinion.

In the post season, while the Leafs played only 5 games, he demonstrated how good he is with or without the puck. The points total will not show it but he took huge steps in his post season play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad