Elias Pettersson vs. Auston Matthews

Who would you take going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
This is the funny thing about analytics. It ignores scenerios on the ice such as:

Matthews 37% Defensive Zone starts year 1. 49% year 2.
Petey 29.5% Defensive Zone starts year 1. 38.6% year 2.

One was sheltered clearly a lot more than the other.

One is also a year younger.
That is the funny thing about analytics and why I rarely post them. They are easily twisted by both sides
Also those numbers are only even strength, and does that mean that Matthews has then been sheltered the last 2 seasons as his d zone starts have dropped to 41.6 and 40.5?

Last edited:

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Sure, there are a number of those, but then we’d also need a “voting for the leaf player no matter what” option and it will start to get very confusing

Haha I kind of feel like that ship has sailed. I think either 2 options or 10 are the way to go.

Reactions: Dache

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Who thinks its common knowledge? You?

You haven't provided any of your own stats u just say its common knowledge. Let other people do the arguing for you because you haven't brought anything to the table.

Why was Matthews receiving Selke votes in his first year? Is he that bad on d?

Matthews has a better chance of winning a selke than petey over his career and in the next couple years
Not a chance. Matthews will not get close to a Selke while EP will be in the discussion for years to come. The gap in D play favours EP as much as the goal scoring gap favours Matthews, if not more.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's worth noting Matthews played in a much lower scoring league in his first two years as well. The baseline for metrics such as GA/60 or xGA/60 was much higher in Pettersson's first two seasons, so the fact that Pettersson still posted lower numbers just shows how wide the gap is.

Maybe you can differentiate why Naturalstattrick lists both "Defensive zone starts/60" and "Defensive zone faceoffs/60". Based on the name, they sound like the same thing. But the numbers for each are vastly different (the start category being much lower than the faceoff category).

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You haven't watched a single game Matthews has played have you?
Watched a lot of his games. He’s average defensively but to his credit at least started to play some defense this past year. In his second year he was pretty weak defensively and well behind EP at the same stage in their careers. He’s still not nearly as good defensively as EP. You obviously haven’t watched the Canucks play if you can’t see the gap between the two.
Check back in another couple of years when EP is in the mix for the Selke and Matthews is well out if it.
There’s valid reasons to pick Matthews here but playmaking and defensive play are not valid arguments at all imo. When you start trotting out plus/minus as an argument it’s pretty clear you don’t really have a leg to stand on.

Last edited:

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Watched a lot of his games. He’s average defensively but to his credit at least started to play some defense this past year. In his second year he was pretty weak defensively and well behind EP at the same stage in their careers. He’s still not nearly as good defensively as EP. You obviously haven’t watched the Canucks play if you can’t see the gap between the two.
Check back in another couple of years when EP is in the mix for the Selke and Matthews is well out if it.
There’s valid reasons to pick Matthews here but playmaking and defensive play are not valid arguments at all imo. When you start trotting out plus/minus as an argument it’s pretty clear you don’t really have a leg to stand on.

I watch every canucks and leafs game and petey is pretty average defensively himself. Miller is the defensive driver on that line. Petey doesn't even take faceoffs really hes more of a winger.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I watch every canucks and leafs game and petey is pretty average defensively himself. Miller is the defensive driver on that line. Petey doesn't even take faceoffs really hes more of a winger.
If you watch every game (I’m sceptical that you do) and come to that conclusion then I don’t think you’re a very good judge of defensive play. Pettersson is already elite defensively according to all advanced stats. He’s already far ahead of Matthews at the same age. Your argument essentially comes down to plus/minute and face off %. I mean we’re all homers to an extent but that’s just a terrible take.

Reactions: MrOT and Dache

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016

Lol
I'd say EP is the typical center style wise - playmaker, cerebral, 2-way play
Matthews isn't as typical - goal scorer, more physical, lesser playmaker

Question: Do you watch ice hockey?

Faceoffs... lol

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Lol
I'd say EP is the typical center style wise - playmaker, cerebral, 2-way play
Matthews isn't as typical - goal scorer, more physical, lesser playmaker

Question: Do you watch ice hockey?

Faceoffs... lol

Petey seems to defensively defer to JT Miller match up wise.

Mar 26, 2010
This is easily Matthews and it is not close!!! Like not close.

Matthews is the best young pure goal scorer in the NHL. No contest here. This is not an opinion, no one has scored more goals in the NHL than Matthews since he entered the league other than OV.

Pettersson is a full tier below here.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
did petersson play game 6 or 7?

harder to score on a goalie that can actually make a routine save eh?

Matthews AINEC. see yall next year!

Reactions: 6ix

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014

yeah time to lock this thread up after Pettersson’s invisible acts the last 2 elimination games. I was told he makes everyone better but over 11 mins powerplay time and I didn’t hear his name once :laugh:

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Yeah he did, it was in round 2 though so it's something you as a leafs fan might not know about.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

Did you actually watch the goals or did you just check the scoreboard? Pettersson had two key screens in g6 that led to goals in the third.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
yeah time to lock this thread up after Pettersson’s invisible acts the last 2 elimination games. I was told he makes everyone better but over 11 mins powerplay time and I didn’t hear his name once :laugh:

Matthews had 0 points during game 5 this year and 0 points in both game 7's for 2019 and 2018.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver

Imagine not even winning in the play-in round and saying this. LOL clown

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yikes, bucs signing Leonard Fournette is bigger news than the lightning in the ECF :laugh:

Made some big news in Toronto considering a team wearing blue doesn't advance there ever

:laugh::laugh:

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Made some big news in Toronto considering a team wearing blue doesn't advance there ever

:laugh::laugh:

No, the news in Toronto is all raptors at the moment. Rightfully so as they’ve earned it as defending world champions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad