Speculation: Eichel Megathread VI: Eichel's agent issue statement critical of Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
NYR have 3 untouchable players right now if there's a healthy, fully recovered, Eichel being traded. (Panarin, Fox, and Laf). I'll add a 4th in Shesterkin just because our team is kinda' screwed without him. Outside of that, there is no untouchable in Krav, Kakko, or Lundkvist. Of course it doesn't make sense to package every non-untouchable player together for Eichel, but Kakko as the main piece should not be off the table. The problem is Eichel isn't healthy and even if he shows up healthy for training camp, there's concern how that's going to go. Eichel is a legit game changer.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
NYR have 3 untouchable players right now if there's a healthy, fully recovered, Eichel being traded. (Panarin, Fox, and Laf). I'll add a 4th in Shesterkin just because our team is kinda' screwed without him. Outside of that, there is no untouchable in Krav, Kakko, or Lundkvist. Of course it doesn't make sense to package every non-untouchable player together for Eichel, but Kakko as the main piece should not be off the table. The problem is Eichel isn't healthy and even if he shows up healthy for training camp, there's concern how that's going to go. Eichel is a legit game changer.
Then Rangers just don't have any interesting parts for package. Chytil or Kravtsov do not look attractive at all as the main part, and this is trade in the division.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Then Rangers just don't have any interesting parts for package. Chytil or Kravtsov do not look attractive at all as the main part, and this is trade in the division.
That's fine - but nobody is offering up their number #1. Ducks won't. Rangers won't. LA won't. My post wasn't about Buffalo should lesser players, but more that Kakko shouldn't be untouchable in a healthy Eichel scenario.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Telling someone they're uninformed and unintelligent because you disagree with them about the value of an NHL player is ... pretty damned uninformed and intelligent. I and others have cited facts supporting my opinion (he's injured, surgery is required, other teams have used available cap space, and he's likely to miss part of the season if not all). You have cited . . . absolutely nothing other than your bald opinion.

If you were in a logic or rhetoric class, you'd fail.

You need to look up the term depreciated. It is not tied exclusively to useful life. It is tied to market value - supply and demand. Demand for his services - in the short run at least - is down. Supply is unchanged. You can figure this out if you try. In the short run, his value is going down with each passing day if for no other reason that it means he'll miss more games in 2021-22. But the real factor is that fewer teams will be in a position to make the trade given that they have allocated cap dollars and made other personnel decisions.

As I posted previously, its possible his value can rebound if the Sabres wait things out, he has the surgery, and he's able to return and play at his prior level. But there's a cost to that - a lot of distraction, acrimony, and probably keeping him until the trade deadline at least (if he's healthy by then). That will be total dysfunction and, in any event, is a totally different scenario than talking about a trade value today.
Since we are talking about business:
Depreciation is an accounting method of allocating the cost of a tangible or physical asset over its useful life or life expectancy.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Sabres would likely only owe him about 5m to 10m. Most NHL contracts are insured up to 80% to 90% unless they got flagged for an underlying issue. Now, there is always the possibility the biggest hold up about this is the insurance company won't sign off on this procedure leaving the Sabres fully exposed. But, Eichel has gone scorched earth.

Insurance is not a real problem. Buy more insurance. Buy different insurance. Split the cost of insurance. The problem is that there's a six-way dick-swinging contest going on.
  • Pegula: "I've bent over backwards trying to keep that prima donna happy. Don't make me look like a fool, Kevyn."
  • Jack: "I shoulda won three cups already. Get me out of loser land."
  • Adams: "If I play it tough, the other GMs will take me seriously."
  • Fish: "Of course you're right, Jack. When we get you to a better place you'll recommend me to everyone, right?"
  • Eichel's doctor: "I make this work and I'll be like the Bill Hader character in that Trainwreck movie with Amy Schumer. Maybe Jack is my LeBron."
  • Sabres' doctor: "F**k this hotshot coming in trying to make me look stupid. We're gonna do it my way."
And as a kicker:
  • Hockey press: "I got a deadline and have no insight into what's going on. Let me make some stuff up."
  • Sabres fans: "I care more about this team than I do my own kids. For the love of God do something right for a change."
  • Rangers' fans: "Skree! Skree!"
Hilarity ensues.

<sigh>I get so tired of this juvenile shit. Yet here I am reading all of this drivel. That's it. Three Zoloft with a gin chaser for me.

G'night evabody!

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Since we are talking about business:
Depreciation is an accounting method of allocating the cost of a tangible or physical asset over its useful life or life expectancy.

Fine. Recognize an impairment to the trade value of eichel then

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Not for long mate.

Even if we do the Canadian division again next year the year after and forever Sabres and Rangers won't be in the same division.

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
I can’t see Eichel going to Montreal if it’s going to cost Caufield or Suzuki. And for that reason I’m out.

In all seriousness I just can’t see either of those guys moving on from Montreal right now. Seeing sergachev flourish, and the career McDonagh has had is probably still lingering in Bergevins mouth. Eichel is a big risk, that could be a huge reward, or fall flat on its face.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Thanks for taking the time to post this!

From Boston:

1. (Current Young Player) LW Jake DeBrusk
2. 2022 1st (unprotected) and 2023 1st (this one top 5 protected)
3. C Jack Studnicka (He's slotted for Krejci's spot as a former 1st)
4. LHD Uhro Vaakanainen OR LHD Jakob Zboril (both high 1sts seeing NHL time and fit your criteria)
5. G Kyle Keyser. Not NHL ready but Bruins moved Vlader to Calgary so this is where the offer perhaps comes up short on your list.

DeBrusk, Studnicka, LHD all make the Sabres out of camp, with all three playing in the top six/top four. 1st is unprotected while the second 1st is top five protected and goalie in the system. Three developed 1sts, two 1st picks and a goalie prospect who will be the starter in Providence if he isn't moved.

Probably a better offer out there but this definitely allows them to inject youth into the system and pick two 1sts in the coming years.

I think the offer needs Lysell or Swayman to be seriously considered. And maybe both to beat out a non-Boston team.

The Wall

Mar 28, 2013
Why wouldn't Carolina go after him?

Seth Jarvis
Dominic Bokk
Jack Drury
Gardiner
2022 1st
2022 3rd
2023 2nd

They would genuinely be the best in the league with him aboard

Status