Speculation: Eichel Megathread VI: Eichel's agent issue statement critical of Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Unfortunately the Rangers have to abide by the cap like everyone else. If they go for Eichel they'll have to gut their team.
Zibby AND Fox needs new contracts next summer, as do Kakko and Strome and they will have over 3 million in dead cap, a horrible contract in Trouba. And around 14 million to do it.
They'll have to more or less give away Zibby like they did Buch and screw themselves over....

correct

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
That, and the fact he's exactly what Buffalo would be looking for. NYR has other options for wing like Kravstov, Lafreniere, Panarin, Kreider, and they just spent 3.6M for Goodrow. They don't necessarily have that on defense.

I'm sure NYR is pushing Kravstov, but if you remove Kakko, what is the "big" piece for Buffalo that every team in the league doesn't outbid? NYR's 1st is going to be lower than say, Anaheim, Calgary, Ottawa, Minny, LA, etc... especially if they add Eichel. What is the incentive for Buffalo to trade him to NYR if Kakko isn't in the package.

NYR has lots of good pieces for an Eichel trade, but what is the best piece?

no bluest blue chips

buch deal = no move krav

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
1) Heard that before. Ducks have cap space, Wild can make it. Neither has a 1st line centre.

2) I think the odds of Eichel turning into Kyle Turris are pretty slim. but if you don’t think Eichel is going to be a 1st line centre again don’t trade for him. Just like if the Sabres think they aren’t getting 1st line centre value for him they don’t have to trade him either.

A lot can change between now and next June. My point is that if you think Adams has to blink soon, you’re wrong.

Ducks have cap space but aren't 1 injured (Maybe 1c) away from winning. Wild can if they choose to be in still

Other teams dont need to blink either.... Moot point. He gives into their best offer or deal with the consequences of keeping Eichel unless a team is dumb enough to pay his ask.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Did you disclose your secret yet?

I did and true to my word it was just before the Stanley Cup was awarded.

Unfortunately, the thread, on the Rangers board, was promptly taken down.

Apparently someone figured
some of
insert Jack Nicolson voice in character
"you can't handle the truth".

howev
if anyone pms [starts convo] me
I will provide website address where all is revealed

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I think we'll see some movement here. Buffalo can stand to find a team where the return matches their needs as closely as possible which should get them closer to a resolution

1. Logically, they will want prospects and NHL ready players over picks. They can't keep guys like Dahlin otherwise. They need progress in the next 3-4 years, not 4-7 years.
2. Obviously a 1st in 2022 has to be involved. I think everyone kind of understands that part. A chance to pick a player Buffalo wants and given the quality of player involved I think everyone understands it has to be a first. About the only condition I can see added is a top-3 protection for one season where it turns into a 2023 unprotected 1st. I think they will prioritize 1sts from teams like Anaheim or Minnesota or Calgary that missed the playoffs.
3. Buffalo seems to need a center. They lost Eichel and Rienhart and would probably prioritize a young <25 player here as opposed to true prospect.
4. On LHD they have two, high-level, young players/prospects. On RHD they have miller and Joiharju, but Miller is probably gone next season and all they don't have good RHD prospects. on LHD they have options even behind Dahlin and Power.
5. They need a goalie with some starting potential. Immediate is better.
6. More assets is probably better for face saving given the situation.
7. The centerpiece will probably be an unprotected 1st from a current lottery team or a truly great prospect. This will be balanced by a good prospect in case of a lottery 1st, or a late 1st in the case of a truly great prospect.

Lottery first + good prospect + young center + RHD defense prospect + goalie

or

Great prospect + late 1st + young center + RHD defense prospect + goalie

Is how I imagine Buffalo targets this trade.

Thanks for taking the time to post this!

From Boston:

1. (Current Young Player) LW Jake DeBrusk
2. 2022 1st (unprotected) and 2023 1st (this one top 5 protected)
3. C Jack Studnicka (He's slotted for Krejci's spot as a former 1st)
4. LHD Uhro Vaakanainen OR LHD Jakob Zboril (both high 1sts seeing NHL time and fit your criteria)
5. G Kyle Keyser. Not NHL ready but Bruins moved Vlader to Calgary so this is where the offer perhaps comes up short on your list.

DeBrusk, Studnicka, LHD all make the Sabres out of camp, with all three playing in the top six/top four. 1st is unprotected while the second 1st is top five protected and goalie in the system. Three developed 1sts, two 1st picks and a goalie prospect who will be the starter in Providence if he isn't moved.

Probably a better offer out there but this definitely allows them to inject youth into the system and pick two 1sts in the coming years.

Reactions: Be a Hab

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Wishful thinking it’s depreciating. That’s the thought process of uninformed unintelligent posters. He will be traded when the right deal comes along.

Telling someone they're uninformed and unintelligent because you disagree with them about the value of an NHL player is ... pretty damned uninformed and unintelligent. I and others have cited facts supporting my opinion (he's injured, surgery is required, other teams have used available cap space, and he's likely to miss part of the season if not all). You have cited . . . absolutely nothing other than your bald opinion.

If you were in a logic or rhetoric class, you'd fail.

Eichel has not depreciated in the sense of the word because he has not lost any of his useful life, yet. He still has a few week until he would miss some NHL time.

The letter from his agent was a desperate attempt to pressure an inexperienced GM and it backfired.

Jack's NMC is irrelevant at this point because if he blocks a trade then it comes off hypocritical to what his agents note stated about preventing him from playing in the NHL.

It is just ignorance by everyone involved, Jack is willing to risk his career and after NHL on a risky surgery, Adams is trying to do damage control and teams are risking missing out on a top 10 elite player signed long term because they want to get a perceived great deal.

You need to look up the term depreciated. It is not tied exclusively to useful life. It is tied to market value - supply and demand. Demand for his services - in the short run at least - is down. Supply is unchanged. You can figure this out if you try. In the short run, his value is going down with each passing day if for no other reason that it means he'll miss more games in 2021-22. But the real factor is that fewer teams will be in a position to make the trade given that they have allocated cap dollars and made other personnel decisions.

As I posted previously, its possible his value can rebound if the Sabres wait things out, he has the surgery, and he's able to return and play at his prior level. But there's a cost to that - a lot of distraction, acrimony, and probably keeping him until the trade deadline at least (if he's healthy by then). That will be total dysfunction and, in any event, is a totally different scenario than talking about a trade value today.

Last edited:

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Telling someone they're uninformed and unintelligent because you disagree with them about the value of an NHL player is ... pretty damned uninformed and intelligent. I and others have cited facts supporting my opinion (he's injured, surgery is required, other teams have used available cap space, and he's likely to miss part of the season if not all). You have cited . . . absolutely nothing other than your bald opinion.

If you were in a logic or rhetoric class, you'd fail.

You need to look up the term depreciated. It is not tied exclusively to useful life. It is tied to market value - supply and demand. Demand for his services - in the short run at least - is down. Supply is unchanged. You can figure this out if you try. In the short run, his value is going down with each passing day if for no other reason that it means he'll miss more games in 2021-22. But the real factor is that fewer teams will be in a position to make the trade given that they have allocated cap dollars and made other personnel decisions.

As I posted previously, its possible his value can rebound if the Sabres wait things out, he has the surgery, and he's able to return and play at his prior level. But there's a cost to that - a lot of distraction, acrimony, and probably keeping him until the trade deadline at least (if he's healthy by then). That will be total dysfunction and, in any event, is a totally different scenario than talking about a trade value today.

Also the fact that Buffalo will not allow him to have the surgery.

If he doesn't have the surgery, he'll probably sit on LTIR for the year.

Wasting another year of contract.
Wasting another year of recovery.
Shortening the window that the Sabres have until his NTC kicks in.

All of this is going to drop demand.

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
Arguing in the media, that should do great for trade value... Lol

No team coming close to this disaster right now

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
He can’t he not a ufa for 5 MORE YEARS - it’s not in the same realm of a situation.

No his NTC kicks in after next year so they have to move him before that. Otherwise, he could theoretically sit this year on LTIR then pull a Hall and say 'move me to Boston or New York'.

I just wanted to know when he had the NTC ability and leverage kick in. 2022-2023.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
No his NTC kicks in after next year so they have to move him before that. Otherwise, he could theoretically sit this year on LTIR then pull a Hall and say 'move me to Boston or New York'.

I just wanted to know when he had the NTC ability and leverage kick in. 2022-2023.
That’s my whole point, it doesn’t work that way when someone’s not a free agent the following year. With Taylor Hall, if they didn’t trade him because he refused to go somewhere, they lost him for nothing. It’s not the same power when you have four more years left on your contract… You can either sit and rot on the same team or accept the trade somewhere else.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
That’s my whole point, it doesn’t work that way when someone’s not a free agent the following year. With Taylor Hall, if they didn’t trade him because he refused to go somewhere, they lost him for nothing. It’s not the same power when you have four more years left on your contract… You can either sit and rot on the same team or accept the trade somewhere else.

Agreed on the difference but it's clear this situation isn't going to heal with time. Good news is that they have a whole year to get the right offer like Sakic did for Duchene.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Are they waiting for a final call on surgery for a trade? I read today that if he does the disc replacement he can be on the ice in 6 weeks, able to take contact in 8. That would bring you right to the start of the season. The other option is something like a 6 month recovery so you wouldn't be able to play him for half the season.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
That, and the fact he's exactly what Buffalo would be looking for. NYR has other options for wing like Kravstov, Lafreniere, Panarin, Kreider, and they just spent 3.6M for Goodrow. They don't necessarily have that on defense.

I'm sure NYR is pushing Kravstov, but if you remove Kakko, what is the "big" piece for Buffalo that every team in the league doesn't outbid? NYR's 1st is going to be lower than say, Anaheim, Calgary, Ottawa, Minny, LA, etc... especially if they add Eichel. What is the incentive for Buffalo to trade him to NYR if Kakko isn't in the package.

NYR has lots of good pieces for an Eichel trade, but what is the best piece?
Lol, Kakko not going anywhere. Buffalo free to test the market.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I don’t think Montreal would have an issue with Guhle being the main piece. The issue comes with several other high end pieces like Kotkaniemi or Romanov being asked on top of a guy like Guhle.

Pick one and then we’ll add other valuable pieces, just not high end ones

Guhle and Romanov are fine prospects but more LHD prospects are the last thing the Sabres need more of. KK, 1st, Caufield are the types of pieces it'd have to be. Caufield is the only "main piece." Other than that it'd have to be KK + 1sts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad