Speculation: Eichel Megathread VI: Eichel's agent issue statement critical of Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
The Rangers should be out on Eichel unless they get heavy retention, either by way of Buffalo directly or split between them and a third team brought into the mix. They would need him down around 6.5-7.5M in order to run him and Zibanejad together for the next 5 years. Otherwise, it doesn't make enough sense for them to pay assets for Eichel just to let Zibanejad walk.

Perhaps Buffalo and a third team each retain 1.5M. That's a manageable retention hit even if it's for 5 years. I think in this scenario, Kakko is on the table. Brooks was pushing the envelope at 50%, as obviously that would never happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if the underlying message was "the Rangers need some retention in order to talk Kakko".

Reactions: Rangers ftw

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
That’s my whole point, it doesn’t work that way when someone’s not a free agent the following year. With Taylor Hall, if they didn’t trade him because he refused to go somewhere, they lost him for nothing. It’s not the same power when you have four more years left on your contract… You can either sit and rot on the same team or accept the trade somewhere else.
Yea but that’s really not how it works, if he says I’m only accepting a trade to 2-3, Adams has to take the best offer from those 2-3 teams. It incredibly narrows the field. You’re absolutely right, They could just have him sit, but that’s 10 mill a year sitting that could be used to improve the Sabres.
And that’s not even mentioning the longer that goes on, the worse it is for the team overall, your feeding the problem of the toxic environment, Adams would have to publicly strip him of his captaincy, the insane badgering of coach and players with Eichel questions rather then concentrating on the task at hand, it becomes a side show that no one wants when they are trying to change the culture of the team and move forward. Not the coach, GM, players, fans, even the owner.
Not dealing him before letting his NMC kick in would be a colossal mistake. Adams knows that, and any fan that doesn’t have severe homer glasses knows it as well. I don’t know why that’s even debatable.
9 outta 10 times, probably closer to 10 outta 10 when the player submits his list of where he’ll play, the player almost always goes to those teams, and the package coming back is far lower then what it would be. Those are just the facts. Wherever he winds up being traded to.
Eichel and the Sabres relationship is finished. I know there are some fans that think he’ll get surgery and come back and play so Adams can get more value, but honestly that’s never going to happen. With all that’s gone on, the Sabres and Eichel are finished, he’s never going to play another game as a buffalo sabre.

Attachments

• upload_2021-8-2_0-34-27.jpeg
    upload_2021-8-2_0-34-27.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 2
  • upload_2021-8-2_0-34-27.png
    upload_2021-8-2_0-34-27.png
    116 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
Yea but that’s really not how it works, if he says I’m only accepting a trade to 2-3, Adams has to take the best offer from those 2-3 teams. It incredibly narrows the field. You’re absolutely right, They could just have him sit, but that’s 10 mill a year sitting that could be used to improve the Sabres.
And that’s not even mentioning the longer that goes on, the worse it is for the team overall, your feeding the problem of the toxic environment, Adams would have to publicly strip him of his captaincy, the insane badgering of coach and players with Eichel questions rather then concentrating on the task at hand, it becomes a side show that no one wants when they are trying to change the culture of the team and move forward. Not the coach, GM, players, fans, even the owner.
Not dealing him before letting his NMC kick in would be a colossal mistake. Adams knows that, and any fan that doesn’t have severe homer glasses knows it as well

The guys on the roster know Eichel's position and I bet could care less, the friends he did have on the team are gone.. Adams already made his position public and will not back off his position, why would he? Jack can sit his ass in the press box all season and miss the Olympics and not one fan, not one player the GM coaches and owners will shed one tear for him.. If he isn't gone by next years draft so what, If Adams goes to Jacks agent say next year and says I have a deal here... You want to go or are you good?? You think Jack would say no? I doubt it very much.. This can go on for four years whether you ugly pugs say it can't be or what.

You would thing fans that post on this board would have at least a basic understanding on how sports contracts work.. In my opinion I hope that Jacks public crying and using Friedman as his shill will cost him the Olympics just out of spite.. But I'm just an old mean guy so...

Reactions: CoffeyMcMan

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Other teams dont need to blink either.... Moot point. He gives into their best offer or deal with the consequences of keeping Eichel unless a team is dumb enough to pay his ask.

The bold is absolutely true, but its not moot, it’s the crux of the current situation. Trades happen when they benefit both teams and that’s when Eichel will be traded.

People are acting like there are dire consequences to keeping Eichel that the Sabres can’t live with. They aren’t planning to win this year anyway. They can send him away if acts petulant and becomes a distraction.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Not dealing him before letting his NMC kick in would be a colossal mistake. Adams knows that, and any fan that doesn’t have severe homer glasses knows it as well. I don’t know why that’s even debatable.
9 outta 10 times, probably closer to 10 outta 10 when the player submits his list of where he’ll play, the player almost always goes to those teams, and the package coming back is far lower then what it would be. Those are just the facts. Wherever he winds up being traded to.
Eichel and the Sabres relationship is finished. I know there are some fans that think he’ll get surgery and come back and play so Adams can get more value, but honestly that’s never going to happen. With all that’s gone on, the Sabres and Eichel are finished, he’s never going to play another game as a buffalo sabre.

So what you are saying is that after waiting 14 frustrated months to be traded to any team but Buffalo, Jack Eichel will reject a trade to, say, Anaheim because he’s only willing to play in, say, Boston?

And you’re saying that after stubbornly refusing to trade Jack for 14 months because they don’t like the offers, the Sabres are suddenly going to accept a worse offer to a team of Jack’s choosing? Even though they will still own his ass for another 4 years?

OK.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
The Rangers should be out on Eichel unless they get heavy retention, either by way of Buffalo directly or split between them and a third team brought into the mix. They would need him down around 6.5-7.5M in order to run him and Zibanejad together for the next 5 years. Otherwise, it doesn't make enough sense for them to pay assets for Eichel just to let Zibanejad walk.

Perhaps Buffalo and a third team each retain 1.5M. That's a manageable retention hit even if it's for 5 years. I think in this scenario, Kakko is on the table. Brooks was pushing the envelope at 50%, as obviously that would never happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if the underlying message was "the Rangers need some retention in order to talk Kakko".

Why do NYR fans take Larry Brooks' ideas as gospel? He's a hack that outside is not respected by anyone else. Buffalo isn't retaining 5 years of Eichel unless Fox is being put on the table lol

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
This may have been already answered but I don't want to go through 39 pages.....

What would be the consequences to Eichel if he violated his contract and got the preferred medical treatment of his choice?
Could the team suspend him indefinitely?
Would it forfeit his contract with the team?
would there be fines from the NHL or team?

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

Perhaps Buffalo and a third-team each retain 1.5M. That's a manageable retention hit even if it's for 5 years. I think in this scenario, Kakko is on the table. Brooks was pushing the envelope at 50%, as obviously, that would never happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if the underlying message was "the Rangers need some retention in order to talk Kakko".
After that statement, I don't even know if I want him here. I have been 50/50 on it to this point.
No way I give up Kakko, or Kratzov. The price keeps going down. Chytil, Barron, and a pick or a prospect, we get Eichel and the sabred retain $2.5 million per year and pray the guy can become healthy, return to form, and isn't a locker room cancer. That's a whole lot of prays right there. The longer this goes on the less he will command.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
So what you are saying is that after waiting 14 frustrated months to be traded to any team but Buffalo, Jack Eichel will reject a trade to, say, Anaheim because he’s only willing to play in, say, Boston?

And you’re saying that after stubbornly refusing to trade Jack for 14 months because they don’t like the offers, the Sabres are suddenly going to accept a worse offer to a team of Jack’s choosing? Even though they will still own his ass for another 4 years?

OK.

At that point yes. I’m sure his agent will tell him the same think. That’s why they fight to get these clauses put in the contract in the first place. If the Sabres wind up dragging their feet for an entire year ( which is unlikely), what’s another month or 2 to go to the team he wants that’s a contender, rather the a rebuilding team like the ducks.
That’s the whole point of the NMC, it allows the player to puck himself to his preferred destination and prevents the team from burying him in the minors. Odds are Eichel wouldn’t say just trade me to Boston unless he’s hell bent on being a Bruin.
The more likely score too is his agent gives Adams 2-3 playoff contenders and says well ok a trade to one of these 3-4 teams. At that point Adams is up shits creek unless he wants to tie up 10 mill cap and his bonuses and all the other drama for another year of hell.
And with skinner on the books that’s like 20 mill of dead cap. That’s really not too ideal for a team trying to change its culture and make the playoffs. Odds are they are going to have to overpay some UFA talent just to come to buffalo. They are going to want all the cap space they can.
Whatever precedent or example you want to use, these situations do not last more then a year tops. Especially with Eichel’s looking NMC clause and financial impacts. If your one of those who think they’ll hold him for 5 years out of spite or to find a perfect deal, your going to be upset in the end.
Adams and the Sabres have an internal timetable to move him. Whatever it is exactly I’m not sure, but I’d bet my life it’s before next years entry draft at some point.

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
The guys on the roster know Eichel's position and I bet could care less, the friends he did have on the team are gone.. Adams already made his position public and will not back off his position, why would he? Jack can sit his ass in the press box all season and miss the Olympics and not one fan, not one player the GM coaches and owners will shed one tear for him.. If he isn't gone by next years draft so what, If Adams goes to Jacks agent say next year and says I have a deal here... You want to go or are you good?? You think Jack would say no? I doubt it very much.. This can go on for four years whether you ugly pugs say it can't be or what.

You would thing fans that post on this board would have at least a basic understanding on how sports contracts work.. In my opinion I hope that Jacks public crying and using Friedman as his shill will cost him the Olympics just out of spite.. But I'm just an old mean guy so...
That’s absolutely never going to happen. There’s not one disgruntled player in the literally thousands that have wanted off a team that have been held that long, 4 years?? Show me one player that was even close to that?? The fact is having him and this situation does far more harm then good to Buffalo. For their culture change, from a PR aspect, you name it. You don’t think they want this behind them??
They don’t want the public black eye that their franchise player and guy that they named captain, rather sit home then play for them. They don’t want to pay him 10 mill a year not to play for them. They don’t want to pay his bonuses. They want this over as much as Eichel. But they are only letting this go on to a point.
Like I said, Adams and the Sabres have an internal timetable of when to move him. They are going to try to hold out for the best deal from whoever in that time period. But assure it’s not going on for 4 years, let alone 2. At some point, Adams will get the go ahead to retain enough salary on Eichel’s where certain teams are able to fit him and trade assets Adams can live with, or he’ll take the best offer he can from the teams that can absorb Eichel’s whole cap hit and let him get the surgery he wants.
Adams doesn’t seem like a dumb man, I can assure you, he’s going to move him before his NMC kicks in next season. He’s not going to give Eichel any more leverage at all when he can avoid it.

Last edited:
Reactions: gunnergunther

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
That’s absolutely never going to happen. There’s not one disgruntled player in the literally thousands that have wanted off a team that have been held that long, 4 years?? Show me one player that was even close to that?? The fact is having him and this situation does far more harm then good to Buffalo. For their culture change, from a PR aspect, you name it. You don’t think they want this behind them??
They don’t want the public black eye that their franchise player and guy that they named captain, rather sit home then play for them. They don’t want to pay him 10 mill a year not to play for them. They don’t want to pay his bonuses. They want this over as much as Eichel. But they are only letting this go on to a point.
Like I said, Adams and the Sabres have an internal timetable of when to move him. They are going to try to hold out for the best deal from whoever in that time period. But assure it’s not going on for 4 years, let alone 2. At some point, Adams will get the go ahead to retain enough salary on Eichel’s where certain teams are able to fit him and trade assets Adams can live with, or he’ll take the best offer he can from the teams that can absorb Eichel’s whole cap hit and let him get the surgery he wants.
Adams doesn’t seem like a dumb man, I can assure you, he’s going to move him before his NMC kicks in next season. He’s not going to give Eichel any more leverage at all when he can avoid it.

first time for everything amiright?!

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Not sure if anyone can answer this. Before I ask it , I want to point out something that I believe is accurate (correct me if I'm wrong)

If a player chooses to retire in the middle of his contract, the contractual obligation ends with both parties, but the team still hold his rights if he were come back during the lifetime of his contact.

So hypothetically what if Eichel retired and then does his own surgery. Once you retire, the team has 0 say on what surgical procedure you do in private life. Then after the surgery ,Eichel says he wants to return to the NHL . His contract with Buffalo will be counted again where it left off. Eichel resumes his former stance of wanting to be traded. I assume Buffalo can't suspend or even void his contract because his surgery took place at a time when he deassociated him self with NHL as a retired player.

It may be pointed out that if you retire, you need to stay retired for a full season. I don't think that's accurate. Mike Fisher once retired with Nashville, only to come back later in the same season and participated on their playoff run.

So can Eichel theoretically do what I suggest?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad