Speculation: Eichel Megathread VI: Eichel's agent issue statement critical of Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
If I'm Buffalo I let him have the surgery and tank the season again. Then you can go ham in the off-season boosting the offense with prospects/picks to surround him with more talent.

You have all the talent in the world on the back end that needs time to mature and you will have a full year to mend fences with Jack himself.

Reactions: John Snow

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Unfortunately the Rangers have to abide by the cap like everyone else. If they go for Eichel they'll have to gut their team.
Zibby AND Fox needs new contracts next summer, as do Kakko and Strome and they will have over 3 million in dead cap, a horrible contract in Trouba. And around 14 million to do it.
They'll have to more or less give away Zibby like they did Buch and screw themselves over....
Not an NYR fan, but I took a look at their cap a few days ago:

1. NYR, if they get Eichel will trade Strome. He's been rumoured to be on the block.
2. Kakko will probably be a part of the deal for Eichel.
3. Zibanejad's initial ask was 10M, which probably means they can get him for like...9M X 8Y
4. Georgiev is on the block anyway and Buffalo needs a goalie, so he's probably gone too.
5. Fox is going to get 9M X 8 years at least as well.
6. Buffalo can retain a small amount on Eichel, say, 10% and improve the return
7. Chytil is probably part of the deal.

If everything above is true, the Rangers will have 15 players signed, including 8F and 7D. Leaving them with 9.5M in cap space. Maybe 10M if they can get a better deal on Fox or Zibanejad. Assuming they can re-sign Shesterkin for 2 years at a reasonable rate, a backup goalie that only costs 1M, they'll still have around 6M for 4 forwards, which is do-able. Obviously the more they can get Buffalo to save on Eichel, the better they are.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC

1. NYR, if they get Eichel will trade Strome. He's been rumoured to be on the block.
3. Zibanejad's initial ask was 10M, which probably means they can get him for like...9M X 8Y
4. Georgiev is on the block anyway and Buffalo needs a goalie, so he's probably gone too.

If everything above is true, the Rangers will have 15 players signed, including 8F and 7D. Leaving them with 9.5M in cap space. Maybe 10M if they can get a better deal on Fox or Zibanejad. Assuming they can re-sign Shesterkin for 2 years at a reasonable rate, a backup goalie that only costs 1M, they'll still have around 6M for 4 forwards, which is do-able. Obviously the more they can get Buffalo to save on Eichel, the better they are.

No

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Adams should be moving Eichel as is, ASAP, for the best return possible(obviously). The last thing they want is to be involved with the surgery, healing time, and the drama and risk involved in the return to play.

I suspect that some team will up their offer just enough that Adams will be able to justify taking it. It might be as little as a Kevin Bahl type player, a second, or a young AHL G with starter potential type add on.

I could be completely wrong, and he might be willing to hold onto Eichel for much of next season. I thought for sure he would be traded before the draft, so he could use 2021 draft picks.

It'll probably never happen, but I wish I knew what the offers have been so far.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
A few things have happened in the last month.

1) Teams have spent cap space on other players via trades and FA. That will make things tougher given Eichel’s $10M cap hit and questions on how willing Buffalo is to take salary back, especially beyond 21-22.

2) The longer he goes without surgery, the more time he will potentially miss this upcoming season. I could see that negatively impacting the offers other GMs will make.

1) The only rumoured Eichel suitor this has happened with is the Kings. The others still have the space or the ability to create it. More importantly, they still need a 1st line centre. I’m not aware of any others on the market.

2) The Sabres don’t need Eichel, or his return for the coming season. They aren’t planning on winning. This does matter to some buyers and is a good reason for them to up their offers.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I think Adams should be moving Eichel as is, ASAP, for the best return possible(obviously). The last thing they want is to be involved with the surgery, healing time, and the drama and risk involved in the return to play.

I suspect that some team will up their offer just enough that Adams will be able to justify taking it. It might be as little as a Kevin Bahl type player, a second, or a young AHL G with starter potential type add on.

I could be completely wrong, and he might be willing to hold onto Eichel for much of next season. I thought for sure he would be traded before the draft, so he could use 2021 draft picks.

It'll probably never happen, but I wish I knew what the offers have been so far.

But the returns may not be good at all atm. It may be worth it for them to let him get a surgery, get him back on the ice and let other teams see how he preforms and re initiate trade offers for the 2022 draft. Yes it could go terrible. But if your not getting a good offer rn is it not worth the risk?

Reactions: bernmeister

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
problem is adams wants 4

Yeah we can ignore that though. Doesnt matter what he wants. Matters what the demand is from other teams. Clearly they are laughing at him so he wont get that and the Sabres can deal with their problem on their own if he wont lower the price.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
1) The only rumoured Eichel suitor this has happened with is the Kings. The others still have the space or the ability to create it. More importantly, they still need a 1st line centre. I’m not aware of any others on the market.

2) The Sabres don’t need Eichel, or his return for the coming season. They aren’t planning on winning. This does matter to some buyers and is a good reason for them to up their offers.

1) Ducks? No 3rd ov now. Wild? Apparently backed out

2) And other teams dont need an unknown player after injury either. Sabres need to show other teams a sample of what they are paying for. They are perfectly fine waiting this out. Adams is nowhere near the drivers seat in trade talks. Just has leverage with Eichel. You call Eichel a 1st line center but you dont know that atm. You know what he once was.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
If I'm Buffalo I let him have the surgery and tank the season again. Then you can go ham in the off-season boosting the offense with prospects/picks to surround him with more talent.

You have all the talent in the world on the back end that needs time to mature and you will have a full year to mend fences with Jack himself.

Jack torpedoed that chance Friday.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006

I think we'll see some movement here. Buffalo can stand to find a team where the return matches their needs as closely as possible which should get them closer to a resolution

1. Logically, they will want prospects and NHL ready players over picks. They can't keep guys like Dahlin otherwise. They need progress in the next 3-4 years, not 4-7 years.
2. Obviously a 1st in 2022 has to be involved. I think everyone kind of understands that part. A chance to pick a player Buffalo wants and given the quality of player involved I think everyone understands it has to be a first. About the only condition I can see added is a top-3 protection for one season where it turns into a 2023 unprotected 1st. I think they will prioritize 1sts from teams like Anaheim or Minnesota or Calgary that missed the playoffs.
3. Buffalo seems to need a center. They lost Eichel and Rienhart and would probably prioritize a young <25 player here as opposed to true prospect.
4. On LHD they have two, high-level, young players/prospects. On RHD they have miller and Joiharju, but Miller is probably gone next season and all they don't have good RHD prospects. on LHD they have options even behind Dahlin and Power.
5. They need a goalie with some starting potential. Immediate is better.
6. More assets is probably better for face saving given the situation.
7. The centerpiece will probably be an unprotected 1st from a current lottery team or a truly great prospect. This will be balanced by a good prospect in case of a lottery 1st, or a late 1st in the case of a truly great prospect.

Lottery first + good prospect + young center + RHD defense prospect + goalie

or

Great prospect + late 1st + young center + RHD defense prospect + goalie

Is how I imagine Buffalo targets this trade.

Reactions: Rangers ftw

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020

2) And other teams dont need an unknown player after injury either. Sabres need to show other teams a sample of what they are paying for. They are perfectly fine waiting this out. Adams is nowhere near the drivers seat in trade talks. Just has leverage with Eichel. You call Eichel a 1st line center but you dont know that atm. You know what he once was.
I don’t think there’s anybody who knows anything and say who is actually in or out. Literally, it’s changed like every other day up until this past weekend. I think folks thought the Adams would panic and trade him for whatever by free agency, but since that hasn’t been the case I think people are regrouping and realizing they’re going to have to get what he wants or at least close to it. It’s pretty obvious that there’s no one who’s actually in or out definitively at this time… So anything that you believe to that extent, is based on whatever the teams want the media to think that serve their purpose.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013

Yeah we’re not retaining on Eichel. Up to the Rags to find a way to fit him in.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

So you looked at our cap and based on that information alone came to the conclusion that Kakko will be part of the deal?

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Yeah we’re not retaining on Eichel. Up to the Rags to find a way to fit him in.
It makes it difficult for NYR otherwise. I'm not convinced they're a good fit outside Goergiev and Kakko being good pieces for a trade

I can see someone having interest in Strome and such a trade would help replenish some assets, but I don't see them getting a lot. Equally, with Zibanejad asking for big money, I think it would be hard to get good value there either.

Therefore, for NYR, it becomes "Why are we trading a ton for Eichel just to dump Strome and Zibenejad for peanuts?"

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
So you looked at our cap and based on that information alone came to the conclusion that Kakko will be part of the deal?
That, and the fact he's exactly what Buffalo would be looking for. NYR has other options for wing like Kravstov, Lafreniere, Panarin, Kreider, and they just spent 3.6M for Goodrow. They don't necessarily have that on defense.

I'm sure NYR is pushing Kravstov, but if you remove Kakko, what is the "big" piece for Buffalo that every team in the league doesn't outbid? NYR's 1st is going to be lower than say, Anaheim, Calgary, Ottawa, Minny, LA, etc... especially if they add Eichel. What is the incentive for Buffalo to trade him to NYR if Kakko isn't in the package.

NYR has lots of good pieces for an Eichel trade, but what is the best piece?

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
Not interested in Eichel anymore honestly. My best offer would be Strome, Lundqvist, and a 1st at this point. That’s a 55+ point 2C and a top 4 Defenseman with sky high potential along with a 1st in a stacked draft coming up next year. Aside from that good luck

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015

1) Heard that before. Ducks have cap space, Wild can make it. Neither has a 1st line centre.

2) I think the odds of Eichel turning into Kyle Turris are pretty slim. but if you don’t think Eichel is going to be a 1st line centre again don’t trade for him. Just like if the Sabres think they aren’t getting 1st line centre value for him they don’t have to trade him either.

A lot can change between now and next June. My point is that if you think Adams has to blink soon, you’re wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad