Friedman: Edmonton was close to a "big" trade on Wedneday involving a goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
That better be one hell of a sweetener.
For sure... but I prefer not to define the sweetener, since that then becomes the focus of discussion rather than the particulars of the actual hockey deal.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Holland can't even make one goalie trade while since September Canucks have got a good backup goalie in DeSmith, good 4th line grinder in Lafferty, traded for A depth dman in Friedman, and now traded Beauvillier and got another D in Zadorov. All of that for a bunch of low end picks. All this happening within a span of 2 to 3 months lol. Just shows the difference between this management and Oilers management that can't even get a backup for Skinner, nevermind a #1 goalie.
The Canucks had the one thing the Oilers don't have: cap space.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'd do a bit of modifications to the trade, but as a basis, it's not bad

I mean you’re getting a former 1st round pick who grew up a Habs fan and is close to ripe to get an NHL look.

And a 5D (4D when he’s playing well)

For a 6D you got off waivers.

I’d think there could be a deal here. But Ceci has a bad rep from his time in Ottawa and Toronto that he can’t seem to shake despite being solid for 3 years now going back to his stint in Pittsburgh.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I mean you’re getting a former 1st round pick who grew up a Habs fan and is close to ripe to get an NHL look.

I’d think there could be a deal here. But Ceci has a bad rep from his time in Ottawa and Toronto that he can’t seem to shake despite being solid for 3 years now going back to his stint in Pittsburgh.
If Ceci was on an expiring contract, i would consider it. But he's not. What are you paying to dump that extra year of Ceci?

Reactions: Scintillating10

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014

The fact that he's a former Habs fan do nothing to me, and yeah, Ceci has a bad rep, but it's well deserved: we played plenty of games against him, so we know what he's about

I'd do the trade because I think Bourgault could be a cool lottery ticket, and because there's only one year after this one on his contract (and we ain't going for a playoff spot either this year or next)
Ceci wouldn't be back with us after that

I'd add a 3rd on Habs side for a 2nd on Oilers side, or something like this, both pick should be close anyway lol

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If Ceci was on an expiring contract, i would consider it. But he's not. What are you paying to dump that extra year of Ceci?

A former 1st round pick.

Cause Ceci can play. Has played top 4D for 2 years straight with lots of time on the top pair sprinkled in on a playoff team. If you see zero value in Ceci cause you can’t get over his days in Toronto there’s no deal here.

So keep the 6D you got on waivers and we’ll keep our Bourgault. Most Oilers fans wouldn’t think of trading XB anyways, I’m probably the only one.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The fact that he's a former Habs fan do nothing to me, and yeah, Ceci has a bad rep, but it's well deserved: we played plenty of games against him, so we know what he's about

I'd do the trade because I think Bourgault could be a cool lottery ticket, and because there's only one year after this one on his contract (and we ain't going for a playoff spot either this year or next)
Ceci wouldn't be back with us after that

I'd add a 3rd on Habs side for a 2nd on Oilers side, or something like this, both pick should be close anyway lol

Defenceman put their game together right at the age Ceci was at in Pittsburgh and his first year in Edmonton. He’s not the same defenceman you saw in Ottawa or Toronto. He rarely makes mistakes now and pretty solid over all. He’s not sexy and puck movement is below average but as a shutdown guy that won’t hurt you, he can do that.

I mean yeh XB is a good lottery ticket, about as good as you can get for lottery tickets he’s a former 1st round pick. People call 5th rounders showing some promise in the DEL lottery tickets too. This guys a 1st round pick. And if this lottery ticket works out, you can be assured he’ll be happy to be a Hab for life considering where’s he’s from.

That add is something to consider though. I’d consider it. But Kova is only a target for me cause he’s cheap. He’s still not really the ideal candidate to throw on the right side. We’d rather have a puck mover than a shut down guy, so it’s something to consider but I’d have to look at what else is out there and compare.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
A former 1st round pick.

Cause Ceci can play. Has played top 4D for 2 years straight with lots of time on the top pair sprinkled in on a playoff team. If you see zero value in Ceci cause you can’t get over his days in Toronto there’s no deal here.

So keep the 6D you got on waivers and we’ll keep our Bourgault. Most Oilers fans wouldn’t think of trading XB anyways, I’m probably the only one.
No interest in Ceci. Its not a fit for the Habs. The only reason to take him is for the sweetener. But Bourgault is not enough if we have to take on Ceci and give up the guy we got off waivers.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
No interest in Ceci. Its not a fit for the Habs. The only reason to take him is for the sweetener. But Bourgault is not enough if we have to take on Ceci and give up the guy we got off waivers.

Okay keep the guy you got on waivers then, he’ll be needed if your RD prospects all fail to develop.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
A former 1st round pick.

Ya we'll keep our 6D we got on waivers who
s better than Ceci your so called top 4 D.
Face it ,nobody want Ceci.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr Awesome

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Breaking News: I was "close" to buying a lottery ticket that would've 100% made me a multi-trillionaire on Wednesday.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Good one! It’s funny because just because something almost happens, it still doesn’t happen, so it doesn’t matter. You astutely made an analogy to almost buying a lottery ticket to win lots of money for comedic effect. Very good joke. You are a funny person. I enjoyed your post. Thank you.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Okay keep the guy you got on waivers then, he’ll be needed if your RD prospects all fail to develop.
Ita cute how you keep trying to belittle Kovacevic by mentioning his draft position and the fact he was acquired on waivers yet you're the one making trade proposals to aquire him. We're fine with keeping g him over taking your cap dump D and struggling prospect.

Also. Montembeault was acquired off waivers and it sounds like Edmonton was pretty hot on him too

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Ita cute how you keep trying to belittle Kovacevic by mentioning his draft position and the fact he was acquired on waivers yet you're the one making trade proposals to aquire him. We're fine with keeping g him over taking your cap dump D and struggling prospect.

Also. Montembeault was acquired off waivers and it sounds like Edmonton was pretty hot on him too
I haven't mentioned his draft position, you are imagining things. I don't even like the player, I like Cap Space and Flexibility to use to fix our goaltending. That's literally the only reason I'm offering up XB and Ceci, otherwise going into playoffs I'd stick with the reliable Ceci and beastly Desharnais over seeing if some waiver wire, potential flash in the pan can continue to keep his head above water in the NHL. And that's why I mention his waiver wire pick up status, cause the dude has barely gotten his feet wet in this League and you are valuing him like he's an established top 4 in this League.

Edmonton was interested in Montembault until they heard the ask, and walked. Which means the Habs were out to lunch once again, just like when they tried to get a 1st for Edmundson and a 1st for a mentally shattered Price.

Reactions: Macheteops

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I like the basis, too. And Ceci would fetch something at the 2025 deadline when Mailloux should be taking over.

That would be best case scenario, but I would do it in spite of

The trade I'd do is:

Montréal get:
Ceci
Edmonton 2024 2nd
Bourgeault

Edmonton get:
Kovacevic
Montréal 2024 3rd

Edmonton get cap relief

Montréal take out Edmonton's trash and get paid for it with a lottery ticket, basically

Since we're two years away IMO from a playoff spot, I don't mind

• Haha
Reactions: PuckG

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Oilers don't need him to. They need a goalie who can handle a 1A/1B split. We have one in Skinner. Campbell can't even handle one NHL game. So we'll take the goalie who, after tonight, has a .911 save percentage
If that is the case, Elvis seems like buying a Tesla when you just need a Honda.
I can see why Allen is in the thread discussion.
Make it simple, Allen for Campbell and a 1st.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I would counter with Kovacevic for Ceci and Oilers first? They can keep Bourgault. I had him as non-draft his draft year. Though he was too soft.

Oilers first be a late first but can use for cash at draft.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That would be best case scenario, but I would do it in spite of

The trade I'd do is:

Montréal get:
Ceci
Edmonton 2024 2nd
Bourgeault

Edmonton get:
Kovacevic
Montréal 2024 3rd

Edmonton get cap relief

Montréal take out Edmonton's trash and get paid for it with a lottery ticket, basically

Since we're two years away IMO from a playoff spot, I don't mind

I’ll watch some Kova games and get back to you. That deal is not out of the ballpark.

If this deal ever goes down though, I predict this is what happens on HF Habs. Kent Hughes will be praised for turning a Waiver Pick Up into a 1st Round Prospect. Some Habs fans will lament the loss of Kova, but then will be reminded of XB's promise in the Q and will accept the small cost to get this prospect. No one will care about Ceci's cap hit cause you guys are still rebuilding and his cap hit isn't even that out of line with his value. Ceci will play in your line up and you'll realize he can provide reliable (not spectacular) top 4 minutes and then a year from now Habs fan will be back on here trying to get a 1st for Ceci.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I haven't mentioned his draft position, you are imagining things. I don't even like the player, I like Cap Space and Flexibility to use to fix our goaltending. That's literally the only reason I'm offering up XB and Ceci, otherwise going into playoffs I'd stick with the reliable Ceci and beastly Desharnais over seeing if some waiver wire, potential flash in the pan can continue to keep his head above water in the NHL. And that's why I mention his waiver wire pick up status, cause the dude has barely gotten his feet wet in this League and you are valuing him like he's an established top 4 in this League.

Edmonton was interested in Montembault until they heard the ask, and walked. Which means the Habs were out to lunch once again, just like when they tried to get a 1st for Edmundson and a 1st for a mentally shattered Price.
You mean the Habs weren't interested in the garbage the Oilers were offering for Monty which means the Oilers were out to lunch once again just like they said Chariot wouldn't get close to a 1st.
Again . We don't want your crappy D-man Ceci so try finding another sucker to take him unless you pay us to take him.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You mean the Habs weren't interested in the garbage the Oilers were offering for Monty which means the Oilers were out to lunch once again just like they said Chariot wouldn't get close to a 1st.
Again . We don't want your crappy D-man Ceci so try finding another sucker to take him unless you pay us to take him.

Lol I never really commented on the Chariot trade when it was going down. But sure, HF probably pooped on the idea of a 1st, but then Chariot gets signed in free agency for 4.75M so he probably was worth that. A broken Edmundson and 10M depressed Price was never going to happen though, you guys got greedy after the advantageous Chariot deal and it continues on till this day. You don’t want my package of Ceci and a 1st round prospect, fine. I’ve tried walking away from this proposal many times, but there seems to be some interest so maybe you don’t speak for the entire fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad