Friedman: Edmonton was close to a "big" trade on Wedneday involving a goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
For sure... but I prefer not to define the sweetener, since that then becomes the focus of discussion rather than the particulars of the actual hockey deal.
But the defender sweetener, as you call it, is the only thing of value in the deal besides Kovacevic.

I would counter with Kovacevic for Ceci and Oilers first? They can keep Bourgault. I had him as non-draft his draft year. Though he was too soft.

Oilers first be a late first but can use for cash at draft.
Yeah zero interest in him. Kovacevic is the best player in all of the proposals by a substantial margin.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Lol I never really commented on the Chariot trade when it was going down. But sure, HF probably pooped on the idea of a 1st, but then Chariot gets signed in free agency for 4.75M so he probably was worth that. A broken Edmundson and 10M depressed Price was never going to happen though, you guys got greedy after the advantageous Chariot deal and it continues on till this day. You don’t want my package of Ceci and a 1st round prospect, fine. I’ve tried walking away from this proposal many times, but there seems to be some interest so maybe you don’t speak for the entire fanbase.
Us guys? I never said that A broken Edmundson would get a first or an IR Price would get a 1st but nice on grouping a few with a whole fan base. Seems that's all you got. And For the umpteenth time NO go peddle your garbage elsewhere.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Nope, they didn't but they made cap space by trading Beauvillier for a pick. That's how a smart GM operates.
Made a great hockey trade to get DeSmith, manufactured some cap space by trading out a redundant winger. Then took Calgary to the woodshed in the Zadorov trade. Nice piece of work by Allvin

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Lol I never really commented on the Chariot trade when it was going down. But sure, HF probably pooped on the idea of a 1st, but then Chariot gets signed in free agency for 4.75M so he probably was worth that. A broken Edmundson and 10M depressed Price was never going to happen though, you guys got greedy after the advantageous Chariot deal and it continues on till this day. You don’t want my package of Ceci and a 1st round prospect, fine. I’ve tried walking away from this proposal many times, but there seems to be some interest so maybe you don’t speak for the entire fanbase.
Getting a 2nd + for Kulak who at the time was the Habs #6 dman was a steal as well.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Getting a 2nd + for Kulak who at the time was the Habs #6 dman was a steal as well.
Fair trade for both teams. Which is all i'm looking for again. Kulak is a beast in the playoffs (literally his game goes up like 2 levels) and extended here long term. Home town kid too, scored a huge goal in front of 50000 fans at the heritage classic and keeps getting better as the confidence ramps up.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Fair trade for both teams. Which is all i'm looking for again. Kulak is a beast in the playoffs (literally his game goes up like 2 levels) and extended here long term. Home town kid too, scored a huge goal in front of 50000 fans at the heritage classic and keeps getting better as the confidence ramps up.
He hasn't been good at all this year. Bit of a tire fire in his own zone again. Inconsistent. But he is a #6 so that is what you expect.

Kovacevic is better than Kulak.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He hasn't been good at all this year. Bit of a tire fire in his own zone again. Inconsistent. But he is a #6 so that is what you expect.
Yeh no one has been good this year, that's not on him. The team was a mess to start. After coaching change the Oilers D looks better than it's ever looked so he'll be back to his consistent self, and he is consistent when this team has it's shit together. He'll have some warts in the regular season still i'm sure, but worth it cause he beasts when the most important games happen in the playoffs. I ain't worried, but thanks for your concern.

Jul 6, 2016
Allen for Bourgeault or Lavoie who are still AHL eligibles would be ok.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Kovacevic getting hilariously pumped up in this thread. My lord. I look forward to him being waiver fodder in two seasons when Montreal actually has depth.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Kovacevic getting hilariously pumped up in this thread. My lord. I look forward to him being waiver fodder in two seasons when Montreal actually has depth.
To be fair its one or two people making proposals to get him and dump Ceci. His value to Montreal stems from the fact that currently they don't have much in tbe way of experienced right shot D. He's big, cheap and most of all reliable. Swapping him for tire fire Ceci isn't an attractive scenario

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
To be fair its one or two people making proposals to get him and dump Ceci. His value to Montreal stems from the fact that currently they don't have much in tbe way of experienced right shot D. He's big, cheap and most of all reliable. Swapping him for tire fire Ceci isn't an attractive scenario
Ceci is being viewed as an asset that the Habs could flip for value. He's a better all around player than Kovacevic. The roles, stats and career trajectories clearly show that.

Kovacevic is a bottom pairing defenseman playing more minutes on a team that lacks quality depth at his position. If the Oilers were to trade for him, he'd be a Vincent Desharnais replacement. The Oilers wouldn't be any further ahead swapping the two.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Ceci is being viewed as an asset that the Habs could flip for value. He's a better all around player than Kovacevic. The roles, stats and career trajectories clearly show that.

Kovacevic is a bottom pairing defenseman playing more minutes on a team that lacks quality depth at his position. If the Oilers were to trade for him, he'd be a Vincent Desharnais replacement. The Oilers wouldn't be any further ahead swapping the two.
Cool. Keep Ceci, Montreal keeps Kovacevic. Win/win

Reactions: ole ole

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
It's also about getting a sweetener in that package, for the cap space it opens up for EDM.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Ceci is being viewed as an asset

No

What you said about Kovacevic is true, but also applies to Ceci, but Ceci also has another year after this one, both at 3.8ish, while Kova is paid at league minimum
And we know what Ceci is, he played for both Ottawa and the Leafs, we know what kind of player he is

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Why the f*** would CBJ trade Merz, who is playing 1A, for the guy who is relegated to the AHL because he's a complete disaster? What kind of stupidity is that?

Skinner is a backup goaltender.
Skinner is two years younger than Montembeault and was better last year…

Allen for Bourgeault or Lavoie who are still AHL eligibles would be ok.
Allen is awful, and expensive, and isn’t expiring. That makes no sense whatsoever for Edmonton.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Skinner is two years younger than Montembeault and was better last year…
Monty is a stop gap as the Habs are not competing. Skinner is absolute filth. You can't win with Skinner and the Oilers will likely miss the playoffs as a result of the horrid goaltending situation. Probably in 17th place. lol

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No

What you said about Kovacevic is true, but also applies to Ceci, but Ceci also has another year after this one, both at 3.8ish, while Kova is paid at league minimum
And we know what Ceci is, he played for both Ottawa and the Leafs, we know what kind of player he is
About Ceci being a bottom pairing defenseman? Funny how he's played the majority of his career in a top four role with much of his recent results showing strong since he left Toronto. Ceci is a milquetoast #4D and he gets paid like one.

I'm not going to argue about what his value would be to Montreal. They should have no reason to trade for his contract. But he's a far superior player compared to Kovacevic is all I'm saying.

The Oilers would have no reason to trade for Kovacevic. They need a defenseman that can make passes under pressure because they struggle on transition.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Monty is a stop gap as the Habs are not competing. Skinner is absolute filth. You can't win with Skinner and the Oilers will likely miss the playoffs as a result of the horrid goaltending situation. Probably in 17th place. lol
Yes, the runner up for rookie of the year last year is filth while f***ing Montembeault was worth multiple firsts 😂😂 what is in the water in Montreal?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
About Ceci being a bottom pairing defenseman? Funny how he's played the majority of his career in a top four role with much of his recent results showing strong since he left Toronto. Ceci is a milquetoast #4D and he gets paid like one.

I'm not going to argue about what his value would be to Montreal. They should have no reason to trade for his contract. But he's a far superior player compared to Kovacevic is all I'm saying.

The Oilers would have no reason to trade for Kovacevic. They need a defenseman that can make passes under pressure because they struggle on transition.
Ceci is not "far superior" than Kovacevic. That is nonsense. There isn't much separating the two of them other than salary. Both are prone to mistakes but Kovacevic is more reliable d when defending a rush. Ceci is prone to brain farts. Kovacevic is reliable.

Yes, the runner up for rookie of the year last year is filth while f***ing Montembeault was worth multiple firsts 😂😂 what is in the water in Montreal?
Clearly you haven't watched the body of Skinner's play this year nor have you watched Monty. No one is saying Monty is worth 1sts. Only you apparently! lol

You are a garbage team when your goaltending comprises Skinner / Campbell / Pickard. No one can take the Oilers seriously because of the goaltending.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Ceci is not "far superior" than Kovacevic. That is nonsense. There isn't much separating the two of them other than salary. Both are prone to mistakes but Kovacevic is more reliable d when defending a rush. Ceci is prone to brain farts. Kovacevic is reliable.
Kovacevic is a fart. Waiver fodder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad