News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 6

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Yeah its just crazy how uninteresting his guests consistently are.

Meanwhile, Nielson is pulling in the same heavy hitters he always had. It’s no competition.
Not quite. Neilsons production is amateur hour. His guests are brutal, unless you like kiddy talk. There is close to zero sports talk with Neilson. Unless goofing off like 12 year olds is sports talk. And the amount of sports betting talk is crazy (admittedly I dont give a shit).
In reality Karius's guests are far, far better.
Karius isn’t great, but he’s getting better.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
not quite. Neilsons production is amateur hour. His guests are brutal, unless you like kiddy talk. There is close to zero sports talk with Neilson. Unless goofing of like 12 year olds is sports talk.
in reality Karim’s guests are far, far better.
karius isn’t great, but he’s getting better.

Karuis is boring as s**t. Hows it possible Schlemko is even worse. He talks like every answer or dialogue is a task.

If i was Gregor and co. I'd be looking to find a better morning show

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Karuis is boring as s**t. Hows it possible Schlemko is even worse. He talks like every answer or dialogue is a task.

If i was Gregor and co. I'd be looking to find a better morning show
I dont disagree. But it takes time. Nielson was horrific wen he started.
Karius is kinda a deadpan humour type of guy I think. Which doesn't really work on radio.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Was interesting hearing Wyshynski halfheartedly trying to defend that ESPN future NHL projection list this morning on EST.

Outright said that it doesn't really make sense that the Oilers are that low.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
I dont disagree. But it takes time. Nielson was horrific wen he started.
Karius is kinda a deadpan humour type of guy I think. Which doesn't really work on radio.
I agree with you Nielson comment. I think people forget or just don’t know that when Nielson first started on 1260 it was the Nielson and Chase show and all they did was argue. That was awful to listen to and if Dusty could manage a career after that disaster no reason Karius can’t as well.

Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Not sure how much it would matter, but given that the CHL has already fired up I wonder how they would've done in the ratings right now when people want to see games that matter.

Although I guess part of the problem is lack of high end talent for the 2024 draft. If they couldn't draw interest with Bedard to watch Junior hockey then I guess what chance do they have this year.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Not sure how much it would matter, but given that the CHL has already fired up I wonder how they would've done in the ratings right now when people want to see games that matter.

Although I guess part of the problem is lack of high end talent for the 2024 draft. If they couldn't draw interest with Bedard to watch Junior hockey then I guess what chance do they have this year.

The problem with CHL is it's very regional. I mean it's broken up into three regional leagues - WHL, OHL, and QMJHL. As a Western Canadian I would have zero interest in watching a London Knights - Erie Otters game, and I suspect someone from Toronto would have no interest in watching Regina Pats -Saskatoon Blades game.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The problem with CHL is it's very regional. I mean it's broken up into three regional leagues - WHL, OHL, and QMJHL. As a Western Canadian I would have zero interest in watching a London Knights - Erie Otters game, and I suspect someone from Toronto would have no interest in watching Regina Pats -Saskatoon Blades game.
No for sure, barring some sort of next generational talent it is tough to get people interested in games to begin with let along like you say from a different region. Other than of course if say an Oiler fan wants to watch Beau Akey and the Colts play. But those are really for the hardcore fans.

It sucks for the CHL and it's fans, but obviously TSN gets better ratings with some of the other random crap they have on their 5 stations.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I find myself kind-of enjoying the EST Hangout. It's their 10-12 show where they just have two guests alongside Gazzola and Iwanyk and they just chat for two hours. Sometimes it's about sports, sometimes it isn't. It's a lot less structured than the morning show, which still tries to act like a radio "morning show" with reporting the scores and giving traffic updates.

It's absolutely NOT "can't miss" listening, but if I just want something easy to listen to while I'm doing something else it's nice to just have some friendly banter going on in the background.

Reactions: Jean Ralphio

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
No for sure, barring some sort of next generational talent it is tough to get people interested in games to begin with let along like you say from a different region. Other than of course if say an Oiler fan wants to watch Beau Akey and the Colts play. But those are really for the hardcore fans.

It sucks for the CHL and it's fans, but obviously TSN gets better ratings with some of the other random crap they have on their 5 stations.
Anything that they have to produce themselves and the attached costs to do so is probably a non starter for TSN and SN as evidenced by their pull back of shows like Tim and Friends, broadcasting the CHL etc..

I guess we can expect more All Star Poker, PTI and other products that they can buy “off the shelf” will become even more the norm for these Canadian broadcasters.

It’s why I don’t have any guilt to watching shows that they deliver on alternate sites (read: NHL,CFL and NFL games). If you also recall, part of the reason why TSN got channels 1-5 and SN got licenses for West, East, Ontario, etc was to bring us regional programming CIS, CHL, and other localized fare. Well that went bye bye soon after they got the channels, now they all mirror each other for content. Their shitty approach lost me as a viewer and subscriber long ago.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
This cyclist lady that Gregor keeps having on is so boring. You pedaled a bike in a circle, none of that applies to professional team sports that involve high skill and mental and physical toughness.

Once or twice is fine, but I’ve heard enough already. Cmon Greg’s, enough.

Reactions: Sanchez

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
this is not an attack piece, just a question... I am not a fan of Wan-ye, from oilersnation, and from the Jason Gregor Show. I do not know the guy, I just have never been a fan of on air personality, i don't find him funny, entertaining, or informative. Am I in the minority with my feelings? the problem for me is I like aspects of both shows, but when he comes on, he makes me turn it off and switch to something else. Which is a real downer, as I find Tyler Y. and Jason G. very informative and good at their jobs as hosts of their shows.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
this is not an attack piece, just a question... I am not a fan of Wan-ye, from oilersnation, and from the Jason Gregor Show. I do not know the guy, I just have never been a fan of on air personality, i don't find him funny, entertaining, or informative. Am I in the minority with my feelings? the problem for me is I like aspects of both shows, but when he comes on, he makes me turn it off and switch to something else. Which is a real downer, as I find Tyler Y. and Jason G. very informative and good at their jobs as hosts of their shows.
I have no idea who he is, so that probably sums it up. Oilersnation is good for articles for me, but nothing they do on pod etc holds my attention. Their hockey knowledge (Aside from Yaremchuk) is pretty limited.

Reactions: guymez

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
I miss having Oilers Now on at noon. I try to listen to Lowetide on 1440 and I just can't do it.
Really dumb why Oilers Now moved to that time slot. I would love to see how the numbers are when the ratings are released.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
when Lowetide is actually talking Oilers, he's solid, but he goes off on a lot of tangents that don't do much for me (shoe size, marmalade, etc.)
Lowetide isnt unique in that respect. Listen to Stauffer, he continuously goes off on non-sports/non-Oiler related rants - 80s music, tree planting, playing AA midget hockey, I could go on. Wilkins does it, Gregor does it, it’s part of the entertainment quotient and dialogue banter that they all engage in.

I actually find Lowetide at least talks about pop culture things and not about his life growing up such as Stauffer. Either way, not a big deal to me and if it was I’d change the channel and listen to someone else.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
This cyclist lady that Gregor keeps having on is so boring. You pedaled a bike in a circle, none of that applies to professional team sports that involve high skill and mental and physical toughness.

Once or twice is fine, but I’ve heard enough already. Cmon Greg’s, enough.
You should hear her with snoozy Karius in the morning- just not if you're driving. Falling asleep at the wheel is not recommended.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad