News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 6

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
No idea how much Gregor is paying the station, or if it’s a partnership of sorts, but hopefully it’s not too much dough. Guessing he went the radio route as he had all of his traditional sponsors lined up and that was the way he figured was the best route to maximize revenue. Would have better off to just say at the beginning that our transponder is weak right now, so please listen to us thru one of the many radio apps until we are able to improve our signal. Cause it’s clearly turning lots of people off, which is too bad.
I mean he did say this many of times.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Nobody gets attacked more than Spector and I don't see him reacting the same way
I dont think Rishaug is egotistical as some have said. I think he reacts poorly on occasion because he is too sensitive. Spector is not.

He doesn't suck, he's just boring to listen to.
I think you would be in the minority here. I really enjoy Lowetide

Reactions: Valhallis and TB12

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
That’s very true. I listen to him at work so I don’t mind the off topic stuff as much. When there aren’t games happening he just talks about nonsense, but when he talks hockey it’s great.

I have to say even I was hoping he’d get on topic yesterday though. That was like 90% oldies music talk lol
2 hour is a long time to talk about the Oilers when there is nothing happening. Off season sports talk radio always has a lot more other stuff mixed in. Its impossible to talk about nothing but the Oilers for 10 hours a week when there is zero going on. The extra stuff on all the talk shows diminishes when the season actually starts.

Reactions: TB12

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
2 hour is a long time to talk about the Oilers when there is nothing happening. Off season sports talk radio always has a lot more other stuff mixed in. Its impossible to talk about nothing but the Oilers for 10 hours a week when there is zero going on. The extra stuff on all the talk shows diminishes when the season actually starts.
They could talk more about other teams, they don’t do much of that

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Yeah, thats all true. But I listen to Nielson & they barely talk about sports at all. Like very, very little.
Im sure it was always like that but once I listened closely to it it became really apparent.

Percentage wise, Nielson & Lt. Eric talk sports more than 90% of the time. A lot of it is integrated into their regular bits & text replies so it feels like they are not talking sports when they actually are. To me, that is a good thing. Also, people need to realize that Dustin, Eric, Mark & Tom are starting an internet radio station from scratch after Bell Media broke them off suddenly. Hard to blame them for wanting to talk about it on the air after having their lives turned upside down.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
I’ve really struggled to get back in the habit of sports radio. Maybe now that the season is starting it will be easier. Still upset about CHED moving to 5:00pm from noon. It will be interesting to see the ratings and see if it was a wise move or not.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I predict the ratings will tank with the new time slot.
This is the kind of thing that happens when you have a News station broadcasting sports.
As if it wasnt bad enough having to listen to the news every 30 minutes during every sports broadcast.
I would suggest that most people listen to and watch sports to get a break from the nonsense going on in the world. On CHED thats virtually impossible.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Rishaug had the sound bite of the year on his GYB pod last night.

He asked his producer what the floating hearts onscreen the chat meant and Zuby said it meant that listeners were hitting the heart emoji to demonstrate their love of the show or topic being discussed on the Chat. Said it was good for the show’s algorithms.

Ryan follows up by says “hey listeners, keep pounding on that love button!”. Struddy broke out in full laughter…too funny. Ryan, GEM of the Day!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Valhallis

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Love LT and he’s by far my fave, but man he’s annoying with the never ending defense of Nurse. He just won’t admit this guy sucks ever

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Rishaug had the sound bite of the year on his GYB pod last night.

He asked his producer what the floating hearts onscreen the chat meant and Zuby said it meant that listeners were hitting the heart emoji to demonstrate their love of the show or topic being discussed on the Chat. Said it was good for the show’s algorithms.

Ryan follows up by says “hey listeners, keep pounding on that love button!”. Struddy broke out in full laughter…too funny. Ryan, GEM of the Day!
Funny moment for sure....:laugh:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I've noticed Dusty is throwing slight jabs at 1440 on his show. Basically stating you won't hear any fuzz or distortion while listening. Made a comment about having a pre and post game show as well.
Pretty weird to throw shade about signal quality. One is terrestrial radio and the other a pure internet radio station. But oh wait, the terrestrial station also simultaneously streams on the internet, so the sound quality is basically the same on similar technologies.

Seems like the real conclusion is that 1440 offers the same stream quality as Dusty’s venture PLUS the opportunity to grab it off the AM band and save your cell data plan, where geographically possible, if you choose.

Seems like the honeymoon of coexistence is over and now the gloves are coming off between these two market entrants?

Reactions: joestevens29

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Pretty weird to throw shade about signal quality. One is terrestrial radio and the other a pure internet radio station. But oh wait, the terrestrial station also simultaneously streams on the internet, so the sound quality is basically the same on similar technologies.

Seems like the real conclusion is that 1440 offers the same stream quality as Dusty’s venture PLUS the opportunity to grab it off the AM band and save your cell data plan, where geographically possible, if you choose.

Seems like the honeymoon of coexistence is over and now the gloves are coming off between these two market entrants?
I miss how it was; hardly listen to either one now. Even Oilers Now new time slot sucks!

Reactions: brentashton

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I miss how it was; hardly listen to either one now. Even Oilers Now new time slot sucks!
So true.

I listened to Bob’s show 3x during the first week it moved times (after being a religious, every day listener for many years). It’s been neutered in that slot.

Twice, it was Brendan Escott hosting because Bob had other club evening event or travel commitments (go figure 5-7 would have those types of conflicts) and Reid Wilkins was a segment guest at least one of the days too. I love Reid, he’s a genuine, nice person and I enjoy(ed) his show as a podcast but I didn’t think he was a guest of the caliber you need when launching in a new time slot, trying to retain and gain listeners. I know he’s been in in the past, but sparingly. CHED and the Oilers really botched that whole move thing up.

I mentioned in an earlier post in this same thread that I won’t even listen as a pod as the production of it is absolute crap. I am listening a lot more to Lowetides show and I’ve started to follow a few new pods.

Things evolve I guess. I’m still getting Oiler info and listening to sports talk, just not OilersNow or Inside Sports, via pod.

Reactions: Sanchez

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
Good to know. I will just make sure I never leave that corridor. ;)

Seriously though while there may be the odd exception the signal discrepancies around the city are absolutely brutal.
Are there any plans to even improve the signal? Because as of now I basically can’t pick it up unless I’m sitting in the WEM parking lot.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Are there any plans to even improve the signal? Because as of now I basically can’t pick it up unless I’m sitting in the WEM parking lot.
Oddly enough for a lot of people that's one of the worse spots. lol

I know they had plans on working on it, but it wasn't going to be immediate. I don't think there was an appetite to go and blow money early on until they had a better idea of what is happening.

With that being said they have added Fox radio to make the station full sports talk radio 24/7. So they are starting to make changes to improve the overall station

Reactions: guymez

Barrsy

May 14, 2017

Yeah, heard some of that today as well. Kinda in poor taste imo.
But as Ive said earlier in this thread, the little they actually talk about sports is astounding. Listened to the 6-7 this am (missed the 1st 10 minutes). If they talked about sports at all, it was very little. On & on & on about "crack packs", hot tubs and other non sport related shenanigans. Basically zero, and I mean zero, sports talk.
I liked them at 1260 (still do). Every morning I listened. Maybe they didn't talk much sports , but I didn't realize it at the time.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, heard some of that today as well. Kinda in poor taste imo.
But as Ive said earlier in this thread, the little they actually talk about sports is astounding. Listened to the 6-7 this am (missed the 1st 10 minutes. If they talked about sports at all, it was very little. On & on & on about "crack packs", hot tubs and other non sport related shenanigans. Basically zero, and I mean zero, sports talk.
I liked them at 1260 (still do). Every morning I listened. Maybe they didn't talk much sports , but I didn't realize it at the time.
I use to hate tuning in at 6am. They didn't talk much of anything sports related and or they would just play stupid goal songs.

Kinda sucks when you get into the vehicle and want to listen to sports right off the bat.

I just started leaving earlier and catching ESPN radio.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Was pretty neat when Livingston came on to do the racing report yesterday. As they were talking about Oiler signing day at WEM, Colin brought up that he was one of the first people to get Terry Ryan's autograph after being drafted and that Ryan was the only guy he remembered out of all the signatures he got.

I of course fondly remember being there and remembering two things. Langkow being drafted as I knew him and the loud Doan chants. :confused:

DynamiteKid

Aug 12, 2005
Stony Plain
I use to hate tuning in at 6am. They didn't talk much of anything sports related and or they would just play stupid goal songs.

Kinda sucks when you get into the vehicle and want to listen to sports right off the bat.

I just started leaving earlier and catching ESPN radio.
I tuned in on my drive to work at 6am on Thursday, hoping to hear their reaction from the game, but by the time I got to work, it was only about sleeping at the station and other stuff I tuned out.

I'm starting to listen to half of GYB on my way to work, the other half on my way home and then maybe EST on the days I'm caught up on the podcast.

I don't usually mind the non-sports stuff, but AFTER I hear the sports stuff :)

Reactions: brentashton

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I tuned in on my drive to work at 6am on Thursday, hoping to hear their reaction from the game, but by the time I got to work, it was only about sleeping at the station and other stuff I tuned out.

I'm starting to listen to half of GYB on my way to work, the other half on my way home and then maybe EST on the days I'm caught up on the podcast.

I don't usually mind the non-sports stuff, but AFTER I hear the sports stuff :)
I have half hour drive so I'm fine with some non-sports stuff, but if I drive half hour and it's all non-sports and commercials I just tune out.

Especially in the morning. I can't be falling asleep listening to crap in the morning.

Reactions: DynamiteKid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad