News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 6

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I hear you. Its not a good look at all and really speaks to his (lack of) emotional maturity.

I do however appreciate how all the Rishaug nonsense just rolls off of Strudwicks back.
Nothing phases him.
He is like the anti Rishaug...lol
That's probably because Struds was blasted all the time as a player and learned to laugh it off that he was getting paid a massive salary to play a game.

Reactions: RegDunlop

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Thin skin Rishaug told a listener to his GYB pod to get off the message board and stop listening(to the pod) because the listener challenged why Ryan was raising an issue.

In what world do these “talk personalities “ below its ok to tell listeners that you don’t share the same POV with to take a hike?? Can’t they find a more professional, considerate way to debate things? There is so much hockey content out there I’d think you would be working to get listeners not push them away. He’s done it a few times now.

Starting to consider his suggestion and stopping listening (but I like Strudwicks so will probably stay), but Ryan??

Not so much. Petulant, bordering on arrogant and ignorant.
Meh, I saw the pod last night and I think this is overblown by you guys. Rishaug wasn't wrong either, it was a dumb comment. Talking about the goalie battle isn't a media manufactured thing like that guy in the stream suggested.
Regardless, Rishaug did overreact in the moment but was joking about it shortly thereafter talking about how his mother told him to not yell at the guys on the stream haha and then apologized so no big deal really.

I'm a bit biased because it's my favorite podcast, I think Rishaug and Strudwick feed very well off of each other with Rob Brown added in as well, all very knowlesgable and well spoken. Rishaug does have an air of arrogance to him but so do a lot of these show hosts nowadays including in the Edmonton market (Tencer in the past, Gregor, Stauffer) but he's easily the most listenable of the group IMO.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Meh, I saw the pod last night and I think this is overblown by you guys. Rishaug wasn't wrong either, it was a dumb comment. Talking about the goalie battle isn't a media manufactured thing like that guy in the stream suggested.
Regardless, Rishaug did overreact in the moment but was joking about it shortly thereafter talking about how his mother told him to not yell at the guys on the stream haha and then apologized so no big deal really.

I'm a bit biased because it's my favorite podcast, I think Rishaug and Strudwick feed very well off of each other with Rob Brown added in as well, all very knowlesgable and well spoken. Rishaug does have an air of arrogance to him but so do a lot of these show hosts nowadays including in the Edmonton market (Tencer in the past, Gregor, Stauffer) but he's easily the most listenable of the group IMO.
Agreed. We all have differing standards and expectations. :)

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I find listing to the GYB podcast and even Cult of Hockey podcast so much easier to listen to than the sports radio shows. Especially the ones that are multiple hours. Theres so much filler in them.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Nobody is terrible, but I cannot listen to lowtide much. I don't listen to radio much, just podcasts, but I am in my car for about 45 min a day and when I turn it on he is talking about Gingerale, Peanut buter sandwiches, or some other random stuff with his sidekick.
That’s very true. I listen to him at work so I don’t mind the off topic stuff as much. When there aren’t games happening he just talks about nonsense, but when he talks hockey it’s great.

I have to say even I was hoping he’d get on topic yesterday though. That was like 90% oldies music talk lol

Reactions: mkatcherin00

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
That’s very true. I listen to him at work so I don’t mind the off topic stuff as much. When there aren’t games happening he just talks about nonsense, but when he talks hockey it’s great.

I have to say even I was hoping he’d get on topic yesterday though. That was like 90% oldies music talk lol
Yeah, thats all true. But I listen to Nielson & they barely talk about sports at all. Like very, very little.
Im sure it was always like that but once I listened closely to it it became really apparent.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thin skin Rishaug told a listener to his GYB pod to get off the message board and stop listening(to the pod) because the listener challenged why Ryan was raising an issue.

In what world do these “talk personalities “ below its ok to tell listeners that you don’t share the same POV with to take a hike?? Can’t they find a more professional, considerate way to debate things? There is so much hockey content out there I’d think you would be working to get listeners not push them away. He’s done it a few times now.

Starting to consider his suggestion and stopping listening (but I like Strudwicks so will probably stay), but Ryan??

Not so much. Petulant, bordering on arrogant and ignorant.
Never cared for Rishaug either. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to listen to him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Nobody is terrible, but I cannot listen to lowtide much. I don't listen to radio much, just podcasts, but I am in my car for about 45 min a day and when I turn it on he is talking about Gingerale, Peanut buter sandwiches, or some other random stuff with his sidekick.
Nothing has changed. Its the same way he used to writer here. Weird analogies and somehow tying that together.

"I want to tell a story where I was born on the prairies and the sun shone through once in the day and then an eagle flew somewhere, and my older brother was eating peanut butter and thats exactly what this prospect is like. He makes me think of Eagle peanut butter.." lol

I don't even know where Lowetide was going with some of his stuff but he would turn 1 comment into a whole page. He must be perfect at podcasts. ;) It seems the whole point of podcasts is to say nothng much for long periods of time.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023

Yes, I cannot forget the old music talk

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Nobody gets attacked more than Spector and I don't see him reacting the same way
That’s because I’m pretty sure Spec lives to piss fans off. Haha.

Hurry up and tune in to Gregor if you wanna hear about pedaling bicycles again. Man I cant get enough of this stuff, enthralling
Yeah that’s some dry sports radio.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
So the Nielsen Show on EST is doing away with their breaks, I believe.

It was actually a complaint of mine the way they'd play the same promos for their shows over and over again every 10 minutes or so so I'm by no means complaining, but it seems like a rather ambitious idea to me.

Hope they can pull it off.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
For me I was quite pissy that 1260 shut down at the time, and I am glad we have 1440, but I have to admit that not having sports radio for a couple months over the summer, I haven’t listened to more than an hour or two in the last few weeks.

I know it’s off season and once the regular NHL season kicks off perhaps I’ll be listening to more oiler centric radio but being an NFL fan there are many informative/entertaining podcasts and vids on YouTube which has accounted for the majority of my sports gab time wastage as of late.

But I do read this chat and enjoy the updates and complaints. :cool:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I get perfect 1440 reception south. From 91st and 50av up to Summerside
Good to know. I will just make sure I never leave that corridor. ;)

Seriously though while there may be the odd exception the signal discrepancies around the city are absolutely brutal.

Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Good to know. I will just make sure I never leave that corridor. ;)

Seriously though while there may be the odd exception the signal discrepancies around the city are absolutely brutal.
No idea how much Gregor is paying the station, or if it’s a partnership of sorts, but hopefully it’s not too much dough. Guessing he went the radio route as he had all of his traditional sponsors lined up and that was the way he figured was the best route to maximize revenue. Would have better off to just say at the beginning that our transponder is weak right now, so please listen to us thru one of the many radio apps until we are able to improve our signal. Cause it’s clearly turning lots of people off, which is too bad.

Reactions: guymez

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
No idea how much Gregor is paying the station, or if it’s a partnership of sorts, but hopefully it’s not too much dough. Guessing he went the radio route as he had all of his traditional sponsors lined up and that was the way he figured was the best route to maximize revenue. Would have better off to just say at the beginning that our transponder is weak right now, so please listen to us thru one of the many radio apps until we are able to improve our signal. Cause it’s clearly turning lots of people off, which is too bad.
It really is. Man I miss 1260

Reactions: Sanchez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad