News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 6

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This cyclist lady that Gregor keeps having on is so boring. You pedaled a bike in a circle, none of that applies to professional team sports that involve high skill and mental and physical toughness.

Once or twice is fine, but I’ve heard enough already. Cmon Greg’s, enough.
you are joking right? Jump on your bike and bike to Banff and back

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Thin skin Rishaug told a listener to his GYB pod to get off the message board and stop listening(to the pod) because the listener challenged why Ryan was raising an issue.

In what world do these “talk personalities “ below its ok to tell listeners that you don’t share the same POV with to take a hike?? Can’t they find a more professional, considerate way to debate things? There is so much hockey content out there I’d think you would be working to get listeners not push them away. He’s done it a few times now.

Starting to consider his suggestion and stopping listening (but I like Strudwicks so will probably stay), but Ryan??

Not so much. Petulant, bordering on arrogant and ignorant.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Thin skin Rishaug told a listener to his GYB pod to get off the message board and stop listening(to the pod) because the listener challenged why Ryan was raising an issue.

In what world do these “talk personalities “ below its ok to tell listeners that you don’t share the same POV with to take a hike?? Can’t they find a more professional, considerate way to debate things? There is so much hockey content out there I’d think you would be working to get listeners not push them away. He’s done it a few times now.

Starting to consider his suggestion and stopping listening (but I like Strudwicks so will probably stay), but Ryan??

Rishaug always comes off as egotistical. Idk why but he is

Reactions: brentashton

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

The only enjoyment I get out of Rishaugh is seeing him rapidly going bald. I can take different POV's but he can't and is such an asshole to people. The only member of Edmonton sports media I've blocked

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Rishaug always comes off as egotistical. Idk why but he is
I think it would get tiring all the times the keyboard warriors go after you for verging on nothing. Like the other day he simply tweeted out that Broberg (I think) had left the practice in the middle of it. Thats it. A few went off bitching why is he reporting something without know what it is. Which of course is not what he reported.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think it would get tiring all the times the keyboard warriors go after you for verging on nothing. Like the other day he simply tweeted out that Broberg (I think) had left the practice in the middle of it. Thats it. A few went off bitching why is he reporting something without know what it is. Which of course is not what he reported.
Then people bitch when there is no tweets. It's really a lose lose for the media in this city.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Maybe he has a lot of stress at home. Doesn't the dude have FIVE kids lol
Sorry. Many people have personal stress, all to varying degrees. But stress shouldn’t be used as an excuse to act this way. I won’t diagnose him, only to say the approach to his audience that pays the freight, is off putting.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Sorry. Many people have personal stress, all to varying degrees. But stress shouldn’t be used as an excuse to act this way. I won’t diagnose him, only to say the approach to his audience that pays the freight, is off putting.
I was in that live chat and seen Rishaug say that to the user. It was pretty childish. He got triggered when the user said something about the media lol

Reactions: brentashton

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
It’s not some massive audience either, but it’s not like being a dick hinders your sports media career in Edmonton.

Personally I think Rishaug and Stauffer too actually should both just ignore the scathing tweets. Stauffer gets into emotional rants on his show about tweets, like buddy get a hold of yourself. Trolls would love to hear these guys crying about their troll tweets.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Personally I think Rishaug is pretty good with his analysis and also in moderation of his podcast. It happened during a relevant and engaged dialogue about starting goaltender between he and Struddy. Both were making good points and goaltending has been a topic of discussion for years as an obvious team weakness. Thought it was a pretty lame listener comment to suggest it is only a story because Edmonton media are making it one.

Rishaug took the bait on a dumb fan comment instead of ignoring it. Bad on him. But overall, Rishaug and this podcast, in my opinion, is well above the often surface knowledge, analysis, and discussion of all other Edmonton hockey media and the Oilers extended PR guy.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I was in that live chat and seen Rishaug say that to the user. It was pretty childish. He got triggered when the user said something about the media lol
Yes. The world that we are in where for so many the media is the enemy & everyone knows more & better also would also get exhausting. Doesn't excuse bad behaviour. Makes it understandable

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Personally I think Rishaug is pretty good with his analysis and also in moderation of his podcast. It happened during a relevant and engaged dialogue about starting goaltender between he and Struddy. Both were making good points and goaltending has been a topic of discussion for years as an obvious team weakness. Thought it was a pretty lame listener comment to suggest it is only a story because Edmonton media are making it one.

Rishaug took the bait on a dumb fan comment instead of ignoring it. Bad on him. But overall, Rishaug and this podcast, in my opinion, is well above the often surface knowledge, analysis, and discussion of all other Edmonton hockey media and the Oilers extended PR guy.
Hopefully that listener doesn't have Rishaug's phone number :laugh:

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I like Rishaug. It doesn't excuse bad behaviour but I have tons of times deleted what I was about to say online because of the way it would come off. Dealing with the general public isn't easy. Kind of like reffing men's Rec hockey. Sometimes you just want to tell a player to STFU. :D

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Yes. The world that we are in where for so many the media is the enemy & everyone knows more & better also would also get exhausting. Doesn't excuse bad behaviour. Makes it understandable
Nobody gets attacked more than Spector and I don't see him reacting the same way

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
It’s not some massive audience either, but it’s not like being a dick hinders your sports media career in Edmonton.

Personally I think Rishaug and Stauffer too actually should both just ignore the scathing tweets. Stauffer gets into emotional rants on his show about tweets, like buddy get a hold of yourself. Trolls would love to hear these guys crying about their troll tweets.
Well said, All true. It isn’t a national audience. However you are destined to remain small if you piss off listeners. Anyways, I will stop my crucifiction tour. I didnt mean for it to become one.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Rishaug has a problem just ignoring any criticism he receives online. I also really like the podcast and his analysis generally, but dislike when he tries to turn into Woodward & Bernstien (ie. when Kane got here) or flips his lid at someone that's just trolling him online.

DynamiteKid

Aug 12, 2005
Stony Plain
If you are going to slag on Rishaug for saying what he did (and rightly so), you should also make note that he apologized for it later in the show. Now, it was apparently after a text from his mom, but he still did :)

Got Yer Back is by far the best podcast/radio we have on the Oilers imo. The addition of Brown has really added to the show.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
If you are going to slag on Rishaug for saying what he did (and rightly so), you should also make note that he apologized for it later in the show. Now, it was apparently after a text from his mom, but he still did :)

Got Yer Back is by far the best podcast/radio we have on the Oilers imo. The addition of Brown has really added to the show.
That’s how I remember it too. That’s why I didn’t make mention of the “apology”.

If you recall I framed it as an issue because of how he was triggered and his snap reaction. The fact that a 46 year old man then had to be admonished by his mom (and be reminded to be professional/polite) at his place of work just reaffirms for me the fact that he is thin skinned and petulant. This outburst isn’t the first time he shows this egotistical approach to handling his cohosts and other teammates (like his tech guy). I’ve heard him pull the “I’m the boss” guy a few times when talking to them , it’s just a real bad look on him.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That’s how I remember it too. That’s why I didn’t make mention of the “apology”.

If you recall I framed it as an issue because of how he was triggered and his snap reaction. The fact that a 46 year old man then had to be admonished by his mom (and be reminded to be professional/polite) at his place of work just reaffirms for me the fact that he is thin skinned and petulant. This outburst isn’t the first time he shows this egotistical approach to handling his cohosts and other teammates (like his tech guy). I’ve heard him pull the “I’m the boss” guy a few times when talking to them , it’s just a real bad look on him.
I hear you. Its not a good look at all and really speaks to his (lack of) emotional maturity.

I do however appreciate how all the Rishaug nonsense just rolls off of Strudwicks back.
Nothing phases him.
He is like the anti Rishaug...lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad