News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 6

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I tuned in on my drive to work at 6am on Thursday, hoping to hear their reaction from the game, but by the time I got to work, it was only about sleeping at the station and other stuff I tuned out.

I'm starting to listen to half of GYB on my way to work, the other half on my way home and then maybe EST on the days I'm caught up on the podcast.

I don't usually mind the non-sports stuff, but AFTER I hear the sports stuff :)

This is what I have been doing for a long while now. I've completely transitioned off of needing to listen to a radio show at a certain time to listen to sports stuff or hoping to catch certain guests I find interesting. For example, I realized I don't need to listen to Oilers Now to listen to latest rumors from Friedman or Seravalli when they have their own podcasts and go into detail about the latest news there. Then repeat that same info on when they are guests on various radio shows. I simply go to the source and listen to their podcasts. (e.g. GYB, 32 thoughts, Daily Faceoff, The Athletic Hockey Show, Chris Johnston show, ect)

There is enough content now to cover all the time in a day/week i would listen to that type of content that i don't feel the need to tune into a radio station or a live youtube show.

Reactions: DynamiteKid

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I get off at 5:00 from work... so having the choice to listen to Oilers Now and 1440 on the drive home is really nice. I usually prefer Oilers Now and Stauffer over Gregor's show, however Stauffer usually replays game audio and interviews from the previous night's game in the first part of his show so I actually prefer listening to Mark Spector on Gregor's show at that time. But when it comes to streaming and listening to certain segments or guests of each show in my free time, I definitely prefer listening to Oilers Now. As for EST, I guess I'm too old school still and prefer listening to my radio then to stream anything when I'm driving... so I don't find myself listening to Dusty as much as I used to when he was on 1260.

Last edited:

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
i prefer the line up on 1440, Lowetide and Gregor, not so much Karius. Still like Dusty, like the oilstream and 2 guys and a goalie. Miss them all together on a signal you could get on a regular radio, that being said, it's nice that there is so much content available again via podcasts and online feeds/players.

Reactions: abootzky

theonetheonly

Nov 30, 2015
I get off at 5:00 from work... so having the choice to listen to Oilers Now and 1440 on the drive home is really nice. I usually prefer Oilers Now and Stauffer over Gregor's show, however Stauffer usually replays game audio and interviews from the previous night's game in the first part of his show so I actually prefer listening to Mark Spector on Gregor's show at that time. But when it comes to streaming and listening to certain segments or guests of each show in my free time, I definitely prefer listening to Oilers Now. As for EST, I guess I'm too old school still and prefer listening to my radio then to stream anything when I'm driving... so I don't find myself listening to Dusty as much as I used to when he was on 1260.
9/10 the first hh of oilers now is usually a skip

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I tuned in on my drive to work at 6am on Thursday, hoping to hear their reaction from the game, but by the time I got to work, it was only about sleeping at the station and other stuff I tuned out.
I'm starting to listen to half of GYB on my way to work, the other half on my way home and then maybe EST on the days I'm caught up on the podcast.

I don't usually mind the non-sports stuff, but AFTER I hear the sports stuff :)
GYB Oilers and National podcasts are stellar. I’ve migrated from Bobs show to GYB for Oiler insight. I do miss some of Bobs guests, Lawton, the guy from Puckpedia, Friedman and so on but you have to give to get. The lineup of Strudwick with Brown and RR a running the show has been awesome. I spanked Risghaug in a post here a few weeks back for his childishness, but aside from that, he is a polished host and is very knowledgeable. Struddy is pure must-listen-to audio. Brownie is also intelligent and an awesome add.

Great job by those guys.

Oilers Now podcast now has ads randomly thrown in when people are speaking mid-sentence. Just brutal, guess I'm done hearing from Bob.
Yep. Migrating their show from on air to pod, they are doing ZERO a post production and it shows. The pod is crap. I’ve stopped auto downloading about 2 weeks ago.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Haha the bear "let's leave that tuna casserole to the end" or something like that

Football, baseball and now Oilers talk

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
i prefer the line up on 1440, Lowetide and Gregor, not so much Karius. Still like Dusty, like the oilstream and 2 guys and a goalie. Miss them all together on a signal you could get on a regular radio, that being said, it's nice that there is so much content available again via podcasts and online feeds/players.

As one who likes to hear more than just Oilers talk, The Nielson Show on EST remains my favourite local sports radio show. Dustin & Eric make me laugh a lot, all while doing a quite a solid job of covering everything an Edmonton sports radio show should. Gregor's show on 1440 is a close second and is definitely my go-to now for Oilers/NHL stuff. Sean Brown & Terry Ryan have been solid additions. Wanye Gretz has not. The next best local show in my opinion is the appealingly untraditional EST Hangout. Is it must-listen every day? Not necessarily, but Matthew Iwanyk & Tom Gazzola keep things on the rails quite well, no matter who drops by on a given day. I'll take their eclectic rotation of guest speakers all day long over 1440's snoozer parade of Laurie-Ann Muenzer, David Schlemko, Grant Fuhr, Eddie Steele & the aforementioned Wanye Gretz. Dustin Nielson's Oilstream/2 Guys & a Goalie (EST), Tom Gazzola's Oilers pre & postgame shows and 1440's Fantasy Frenzy hosted by Connor Halley & Brandon (Never the Duke) Douglas are also very solid shows. Not quite as must-listen for me are old stand-bys: Lowdown With Lowetide (1440) and Oilers Now (630 CHED). I still admire both Allan Mitchell & Bob Stauffer but I rarely feel compelled to tune in to either of them anymore, other than the occasional drop-in. Just in case you think I'm a Dustin Nielson honk, I find his sponsored betting show The Lock Shop to be close to unlistenable- perhaps because I'm not into gambling at all. The show that I think is actually unlistenable is 1440's Kevin Karius Show. While it has improved since its very rocky beginnings, I've always found good guy Karius to be a bit of a show killer. Less of him is definitely more but four hours a day, five times a week with no real co-host on board (other than Ladi Smid who valiantly does his best every Thursday) is simply way too much of a not very good thing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad