News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 6

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Brutal.
Hopefully Gregor and company arent foolish enough to think that streaming services alone will carry this station.
I had done some business with Gregor in the past. He is a smart business guy. He may have underestimated though the reach and reception problem from the transmitter.

Hearing there will some upgrades this fall to try to improve that.

Reactions: CM4 and guymez

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Lowetide "I'm seeing people talking about the lines in a captains practice, and not that they don't know what they are doing. I just wouldn't take what they are doing as what the lineups will be"

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I had done some business with Gregor in the past. He is a smart business guy. He may have underestimated though the reach and reception problem from the transmitter.

Good to hear.
Thanks for posting that. :thumbu:

Reactions: CM4

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I don't think they underestimated it to be honest, was one of the first things he mentioned when the news broke about 1440. Just one of those things that it is what it is if he wanted to go the radio and radio app way.

Probably better the way they went instead of sinking a ton of money into an unknown. Take whatever infrastructure you can for free or relatively cheap and build from there. Still better off IMO then the alternative which would've been just going the Neilsen route.

Hopefully those upgrades do come through though.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I disagree with your last 2 paragraphs. It's no surprise to me that Spector with Gregor is quite good. I've always found that combination to be less bumpy than Stauffer/Spector.

As for EST's Hangout, I like it- a lot. Maybe it's because, along with its strong lead-in (The Nielson Show) and somewhat lively conversation, it blows 1440's sleepy Kevin Karius Show to smithereens. Or else it could be that Iwanyk & Gazzola have personalties that actually engage listeners far more than tired marathon Q & A sessions with Grant Fuhr or Ladi Smid.

I think it's because I may have been expecting too much from it the first time around. I'm going to give it another listen tomorrow

So in the second week - in the morning I definitely prefer EST to 1440.

But I feel like Dusty and LTE are trying too hard to recreate the exact beats of their old show. You're on streaming now - that's a different animal from radio. Just as one example they're doing all their advertising "in show" - but then why do you have these ad blocks where all you're doing is playing promos for your other shows? That's getting old really fast.

Or playing music as an intro to segments - but because they're streaming they can't play music they don't have any rights to. So they keep playing the old goal songs, but that's going to get tired really fast. So just ditch the song intros!.

I agree. The commercials/advertising has gotten so annoying

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I must say really enjoyed Brown with Gregor and guest appearance by Strudwick. Although the whole banana bread thing did backfire on Gregor lol.

One thing though that really made me think was them talking about officials. Not NHL officials, but kids reffing kids.

Really starting to wonder if part of the reason officiating is getting worse is due to the lack of interest. Like players it all starts as a kid reffing. The talk about being abused as a 14 year old my parents in the stands really makes me wonder if this is starting to impact officiating at higher levels. Might be time for coaches and other parents to start taking a stand on this and removing problem parents.

Reactions: brentashton

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
EST is amateur hour production wise. The listen live link from their website hasn't worked for me all week and the YouTube live link always steers me into a vortex or previously recorded shows.

Complete turn off.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I must say really enjoyed Brown with Gregor and guest appearance by Strudwick. Although the whole banana bread thing did backfire on Gregor lol.

One thing though that really made me think was them talking about officials. Not NHL officials, but kids reffing kids.

Really starting to wonder if part of the reason officiating is getting worse is due to the lack of interest. Like players it all starts as a kid reffing. The talk about being abused as a 14 year old my parents in the stands really makes me wonder if this is starting to impact officiating at higher levels. Might be time for coaches and other parents to start taking a stand on this and removing problem parents.

As someone who was a ref from the ages of 12-16 back in the day, the answer is yes. The crazy stuff parents do during/after a game to refs (especially to the newer younger refs who are just starting out) is insane and its frustrating that everyone turns a blind eye to that garbage behavior.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
EST is amateur hour production wise. The listen live link from their website hasn't worked for me all week and the YouTube live link always steers me into a vortex or previously recorded shows.

Complete turn off.

Do you click "listen live" and then the play button? Haven't had trouble at work or at home, personally.

Haven't tried youtube at all myself. Prefer just the audio.

Reactions: abootzky

Barrsy

May 14, 2017

100 f'ng %

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
As someone who was a ref from the ages of 12-16 back in the day, the answer is yes. The crazy stuff parents do during/after a game to refs (especially to the newer younger refs who are just starting out) is insane and its frustrating that everyone turns a blind eye to that garbage behavior.
And coaches who become aware of this shit & who do nothing about it should be banned. Its ridiculous.
Nothing makes me more livid than parents/coaches yelling at a young ref. I can almost tolerate it if its an older one, but a young one? F U

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I can’t wait for both sources to stop using airtime to update everyone on “how things are going” with their new enterprise. EST especially.

Listened to the Oil Stream this morning for about 15 mins and I think I got about 10 mins of business update and 5 of actual Oiler talk.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I can’t wait for both sources to stop using airtime to update everyone on “how things are going” with their new enterprise. EST especially.

Listened to the Oil Stream this morning for about 15 mins and I think I got about 10 mins of business update and 5 of actual Oiler talk.
Probably keep going until all the regular guests and co-hosts have made their first appearances

Maybe it's just me, but the commercials seem to be a lot shorter now. Anyone else notice this? I use to switch and listened to a full song and now when I come back they are already back into conversations.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
And coaches who become aware of this shit & who do nothing about it should be banned. Its ridiculous.
Nothing makes me more livid than parents/coaches yelling at a young ref. I can almost tolerate it if its an older one, but a young one? F U
Part of it at the lower levels is a lot of the coaches are thrown into it from lack of interest.

But honestly the officiating abuse is bad at all levels even with the coaches that want to be there.

I did like Gregor's way that he deals with parents. Sending expectations of what parents should and shouldn't do, and then what he as a coach will and won't do.

To be honest I'm surprised there isn't a standard form and not just for hockey.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Do you click "listen live" and then the play button? Haven't had trouble at work or at home, personally.

Haven't tried youtube at all myself. Prefer just the audio.
Yep it wouldn't load. Comments the same on the YouTube channel

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Part of it at the lower levels is a lot of the coaches are thrown into it from lack of interest.

But honestly the officiating abuse is bad at all levels even with the coaches that want to be there.

I did like Gregor's way that he deals with parents. Sending expectations of what parents should and shouldn't do, and then what he as a coach will and won't do.

To be honest I'm surprised there isn't a standard form and not just for hockey.
There has been a fair play form that players, parents and staff have to sign at the start of the year for quite a while now. Also a respect in sport 'course' that has to be completed periodically. But it all pretty much goes out the window when the puck is dropped. It is amazing how well mannered people turn into crazy lunatics inside a rink. Don't think that will ever change, especially with the belief by too many parents that their kid is going to the show, and those unrealistic expectations often drive the rage.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Nedohin was a good listen yesterday. Funny at the time everyone hated how they went and made curling a full time job.

Now they are know as the team that changed the game for the good and allowed a lot of people to have careers from curling.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Complete turn off.
The youtube link works perfectly fine for me.

Reactions: abootzky

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
been traveling--so how is 1440 so far vs the podcast that were up and running?
Good. I was actually travelling down the north Henday around noon the other day and reception was ok. Downtown it’s not listenable for the most part. I think it’s when you get anywhere near tall buildings it’s unusable.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Is there a podcast for the morning show? I heard Smid on it here and there when I was dropping my kids to school and doing some grocery shopping. Sounded interesting.

I haven't been keeping tabs of what the programming is on the station and the names of the show. I'll go look it up

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Jeez, I tried to listen to Lowetide today on 1440. Now I remember why I stopped ages ago

For pretty much a full hour these guys are talking about some stupid word that we should all apparently know. "Frock"

Then talking about old Canadian bands I don't give a rats a** about forever. Finally just shut it off

Talked about Kessel for ten seconds. Is this supposed to be a sports show or some boring show where two guys talk about nothing?

Reactions: guymez

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Is there a podcast for the morning show? I heard Smid on it here and there when I was dropping my kids to school and doing some grocery shopping. Sounded interesting.

I haven't been keeping tabs of what the programming is on the station and the names of the show. I'll go look it up
I assume there is. And thanks for reminder. I need to find Terry Ryan from the other day, as they went to break and Gregor was talking about how he was going to ask Terry about a intriguing/famous story from his day.

Nevermind. I looked it up. The Kevin Karius Show is the podcast name. All four hours from this morning are on there split up by hour. Might have to tune into the Hemsky one.

Jeez, I tried to listen to Lowetide today on 1440. Now I remember why I stopped ages ago

For pretty much a full hour these guys are talking about some stupid word that we should all apparently know. "Frock"

Then talking about old Canadian bands I don't give a rats a** about forever. Finally just shut it off

Talked about Kessel for ten seconds. Is this supposed to be a sports show or some boring show where two guys talk about nothing?
Honestly I know what you are saying, but I'm so desperate for talk radio that I haven't changed the channel yet when I'm in my vehicle and he's on.

I assume at some point it'll get to me, but right now I'm just happy to hear his voice.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Shows about nothing actually do pretty well. ;)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
There has been a fair play form that players, parents and staff have to sign at the start of the year for quite a while now. Also a respect in sport 'course' that has to be completed periodically. But it all pretty much goes out the window when the puck is dropped. It is amazing how well mannered people turn into crazy lunatics inside a rink. Don't think that will ever change, especially with the belief by too many parents that their kid is going to the show, and those unrealistic expectations often drive the rage.
I've been told by a coach in the know that tier 1 and tiers 3,4,5 and below are usually not as much of a problem as Tier 2 or so. Probably because those kids parent think their kids are being justifiably recognized as elite in the top tier and that their kids are understandably not good enough to climb out of bottom tiers. The tier 2 (or maybe 3) parents are possibly the worst ones due to thought their child has been passed over incorrectly.

Shows about nothing actually do pretty well. ;)
Touche:thumbu:

Reactions: guymez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad