Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread 2.0: 7 - 5

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sure hope there's some truth to this Grymes stuff. We need him sooooooo badly.

Added bonus, if Jefferson's good to go, we may see Young relegated to backup or even practice squad!!

How about shot up in a rocket to the sun?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Just made my day hearing Grymes is signed. One corner spot locked down. That should provide some relief of pressure for the other guys back there, but we really need some more bodies to come back off the list.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Just made my day hearing Grymes is signed. One corner spot locked down. That should provide some relief of pressure for the other guys back there, but we really need some more bodies to come back off the list.

If we can go into the playoffs (assuming we get there) with Adams and Grymes at corner and Thompson and Highwood at halfback then that will be a very different story compared to what we have witnessed in the past 2 months. You can't win without competent D-backs in a pass happy league.

I wonder if Grymes is just signed just until the end of the year?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
^ Grymes is only signed to the of this season. He wants his NFL options open.

Interesting, well I guess we have a couple of high profile rentals on the roster but perhaps this is going to be the new trend all around the league. There is such a huge disparity in salaries between the 2 leagues that I suppose this is to be expected.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

totally agree. really happy to hear about Grymes.

team still depresses me with the injuries and lack of a proper placekicker, but Grymes!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Interesting, well I guess we have a couple of high profile rentals on the roster but perhaps this is going to be the new trend all around the league. There is such a huge disparity in salaries between the 2 leagues that I suppose this is to be expected.

Except Calgary. They always seem to be able to retain most of their best guys year after year.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Except Calgary. They always seem to be able to retain most of their best guys year after year.

The fact is that John Hufnagel is the finest football executive in Canada and players in both the U.S. and Canada know this. They want to play for a stable franchise where the guy at the helm is the best there is so they are somewhat willing to give up other opportunities although many Stamps have tested their luck in the NFL.

We just don't have a tandem like Hufnagel and Dickenson and haven't had one like this since the days of Kimball and Campbell. Success always starts at the top. Who would jump to Hamilton, Toronto or even the EE when you have a perennial powerhouse in Calgary?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The fact is that John Hufnagel is the finest football executive in Canada and players in both the U.S. and Canada know this. They want to play for a stable franchise where the guy at the helm is the best there is so they are somewhat willing to give up other opportunities although many Stamps have tested their luck in the NFL.

We just don't have a tandem like Hufnagel and Dickenson and haven't had one like this since the days of Kimball and Campbell. Success always starts at the top. Who would jump to Hamilton, Toronto or even the EE when you have a perennial powerhouse in Calgary?

Very true.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
got some help last night with Hamilton winning on a last second field goal

That was huge. Doubt anyone saw that coming, and a nice bonus during our bye week. I'm torn between making a run for 3rd or going for the crossover. At some point, there has to be a year where a western team makes it to the GC.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
That was huge. Doubt anyone saw that coming, and a nice bonus during our bye week. I'm torn between making a run for 3rd or going for the crossover. At some point, there has to be a year where a western team makes it to the GC.

Hamilton is a different team with Masoli at QB. If they beat Toronto next week, there is a very realistic chance they could win the East after starting 0-8.

I've already accepted the crossover. It's humiliating to finish 4th, but it's by far our best chance at making the Grey Cup. We're not going into Winnipeg and then Calgary and winning two weeks in a row. Sask can have that death sentence. I'll take our chances with whichever two 7-win turds end up hosting playoff games in the East.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Kavis is weaving his magic.

What qualified Kavis to be a GM in the eyes of the Allouettes ownership? Has he ever been a scout or a recruiter? I only ever remember him being in coaching and not very successful at that. He's had disasters going all the way back to his Rider days. I thought it was a strange hire. I guess the league is tapped out of executive talent these days.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What qualified Kavis to be a GM in the eyes of the Allouettes ownership? Has he ever been a scout or a recruiter? I only ever remember him being in coaching and not very successful at that. He's had disasters going all the way back to his Rider days. I thought it was a strange hire. I guess the league is tapped out of executive talent these days.

Man...I never expected to see KR as a head coach again. Just like MoontoScott's post....all I think about when I see him now is that cringe worthy interview when he was going on about consequences.
I cant see this turning out well.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Here's hoping the Esks make the crossover.

Of course they better win soon or they'll end up in the basement.

I am not expecting much out of this team this season. Rookie GM...Rookie OC....2nd year Head Coach. A wildly inconsistent QB...although I am beginning to wonder how much of Reilly's inconsistent play is due to the inexperience at OC.
The bottom line for me is that there is way too much inexperience (at very important positions) on this team at the same time.

I mean...who runs an organization like this? Oh yeah...Len Rhodes.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Hightower and Grymes at HB today. When either Peters or Thompson return then Grymes slides out to the CB position which should leave us in much better shape.

Has anybody heard a word about John Ojo? Did he eventually sign somewhere?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
In spite of Patrick Swayze hitting the post on that FG, it's reassuring that he had plenty of distance from 51. Probably could have hit from 60 if it was on target. A nice change from Milo shorting 47 yarders.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Another absolutely stone cold offensive start and QB 1a stands on the sidelines with a clipboard.
Please don't blame the offensive start on the O-line, they have been solid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad