Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread 2.0: 7 - 5

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It was time to start Franklin weeks ago. Now it's just pathetic. Mike R was staring down his receivers all night. He managed zero points in a half with an awesome receiving core and a good o line. Time to move on.
I'm not sure it's been necessary to start Franklin but there have been several games where Reilly has gotten nothing done. That's when Franklin should have been brought in to see if he could have gotten something done. Why it hasn't happened is baffling to me. IMO, it's the coaches responsibility to do whatever he can to win games. Franklin is a weapon on the sidelines that hasn't been used. That's inexcusable to me in the midst of a six game losing streak. What's being done isn't working for this team. That Maas is unwilling to change things up in this situation makes me question his competence as head coach.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't know if they dare ask him because he has such an explosive temper. As for who would ask, I mean is sucky Dave C. going to ask? Not too likely.

I think some people around the EE didn't realize that it wasn't just Hervey who got into it with the league over the wired for sound incident. Maas was irate about it.

I thought at the time that it was rather childish because after all this is a league that is struggling in many ways and it is looking for new ideas but that didn't seem to sink in with either of these guys.

Do you really think that Sunderland would fire Maas in the off-season? It might be warranted but I doubt it would happen.
I've got no idea what Sunderland will do. It probably helps Maas that the two have a relationship from Ottawa. That may be the reason he was hired. I don't think you can ignore a long losing streak though, especially when the coach won't use the player that I'm sure the GM is trying to resign. The rest of the stuff has to go against Maas. I'm only speculating but I'd think Maas would have been warned he needs to be more media friendly after Hervey was fired and what led up to it. If he hasn't been then I don't know why Sunderland would keep a guy who not only has that baggage but is also struggling to get results on the field.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'm sure that Sunderland would love to re-sign Franklin but of course not a chance that would happen with the Mike and Jason show probably being renewed for the 2018 season. Mind you, things can change quickly in pro football. A year ago it looked like Bowman would be around for another three years but suddenly he is simply a non-factor, for whatever reason.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I'm sure that Sunderland would love to re-sign Franklin but of course not a chance that would happen with the Mike and Jason show probably being renewed for the 2018 season. Mind you, things can change quickly in pro football. A year ago it looked like Bowman would be around for another three years but suddenly he is simply a non-factor, for whatever reason.

Unfortunately one thing that never changes quick with this organization is the firing of coaching staffs. Unless we manage to not win another football game all year, we'll likely have to endure another bad season in 2018 for changes to occur. Just like with Kavis Reed, when it was glaringly obvious he should have been gone after 2012, but 2013 had to be flushed down the toilet as well, just to be sure.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Unfortunately one thing that never changes quick with this organization is the firing of coaching staffs. Unless we manage to not win another football game all year, we'll likely have to endure another bad season in 2018 for changes to occur. Just like with Kavis Reed, when it was glaringly obvious he should have been gone after 2012, but 2013 had to be flushed down the toilet as well, just to be sure.

Very true, I can't argue your point. The thing with Reed was that he was going to stick with his QB KJ to the bitter end and it looks like the script is repeating itself. Don't yield so much as an inch to the paying customer and see what happens. Not the best of business plans.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Must win game on Monday against the Als. Lose to a Kavis led disaster at this point in the season, and you can all but flush your season down the drain. How they beat Calgary earlier in the season might go down as one of the great mysteries of the year. Stamps must have sleep-walked through that. Reilly keeps saying they have the talent and all they have to do is play better. Those words ring out after every loss. They're starting to ring hollow. The coach says they're not very good right now. He's been saying that for a month and a half. That is starting to ring true.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Another Tabbie castoff. I would have been happy just bringing Perkins back in off the practice roster.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Both are moves for this season in an attempt to right this ship. Neither may be back next season.

They want to right the ship this year?

Maybe bring in some Dbacks that can actually cover and another linebacker. And perhaps come up with a gameplan that is better than lame to start the game.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
They wanted Gable for his blocking ability. I'm told he's great at reading defences and knows who to pick up and he's a really good blocker. That's been missing in White's absence.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
They wanted Gable for his blocking ability. I'm told he's great at reading defences and knows who to pick up and he's a really good blocker. That's been missing in White's absence.

That would make some sense. Too bad it took them until a dozen games after White's injury to finally get someone like that. Could have saved Reilly at least 5 or 6 head shots and a whole lot of other bruises.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I wonder if Sunderland was watching the Bombers-Tiger Cats game tonight?

When you give another QB on the team a chance to play it can lead to a rather interesting outcome.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wonder if Sunderland was watching the Bombers-Tiger Cats game tonight?

When you give another QB on the team a chance to play it can lead to a rather interesting outcome.
Yeah, its interesting what Masoli has been able to accomplish there and Collaros was not playing well this season. Not sure whats up with him. Similarly Lulay was much better in BC than Jennings. Conventional QB wisdom isn't always conventional.

I would like to see more of Franklin just to mix it up. One of the successes of the Esks dynasty was mixing Moon with Wilkinson and making Opponent D study for both. Theres no reason not to do it. Reilly also needs to be more amenable to it. I sense he's averse to being pulled or sat. He should take some drives off and watch some series from the bench. Its a better learning experience as well.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yeah, its interesting what Masoli has been able to accomplish there and Collaros was not playing well this season. Not sure whats up with him. Similarly Lulay was much better in BC than Jennings. Conventional QB wisdom isn't always conventional.

I would like to see more of Franklin just to mix it up. One of the successes of the Esks dynasty was mixing Moon with Wilkinson and making Opponent D study for both. Theres no reason not to do it. Reilly also needs to be more amenable to it. I sense he's averse to being pulled or sat. He should take some drives off and watch some series from the bench. Its a better learning experience as well.
You’re absolutely right that there is no reason not to mix things up by playing Franklin from time to time. I’d be saying this even if things were going right and the team was doing well. That we’re in the midst of a six game losing streak it’s inexcusable that it hasn’t happened. The head coach isn’t doing everything he can do to help the team win. Imo, that isn’t acceptable.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

Yes indeed, if you look back at the EE dynasty there was a familiar pattern for success.

At first the tandem was Lemmerman and Wilkinson. If one of them was cold then there was no hesitation in bringing the other one in. They both knew it and they were fine with it. It's called winning.

Then it was Wilkinson and his "understudy" Warren Moon. In the 1981 Grey Cup game Moon was ice cold and the 5 in a row run was in serious jeopardy. Campbell didn't hesitate to bring in Wilkinson to settle the team down. It worked. The team got it together, Moon came back in and they won on the last play of the game.

The point is that if you can pull Warren Moon to shake things up then I don't understand why you can't pull Mike Reilly, if only for a few series. Reilly is certainly no NFL hall of famer and if his ego can't take it well.....I know what Norm Kimball and Hugh Campbell would have said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad