Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread 2.0: 7 - 5

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Another absolutely stone cold offensive start and QB 1a stands on the sidelines with a clipboard.
Please don't blame the offensive start on the O-line, they have been solid.
30 minutes away from a six game losing streak. If Maas still isn't ready to try something different then it might be time for Sunderland to try something different.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The offense has been putrid from the moment Hazelton went down. Although I suspect failure of our own coaching staff to adapt once opponents had a decent amount of film to review is the biggest culprit. 0 points in a half coming off a bye week is just plain bad coaching and lack of preparedness.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Wow, just checked the score. No excuse to be putting up these type of points with the offense they have. You guys think there's any chance the Esks move on from Reilly after the season and put their future in the hands of Franklin?

Reilly is on the wrong side of 30 and his lack of production with a receiving corps of Bowman, Walker, Zylstra and Duke over the losing streak has to be worrying. Assuming that as long as Maas is coach, very little chance of it happening though.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Maas would probably resign in disgust if anyone besides his best buddy was the QB.

So the ref right there calls no TD. Then after a conference (aka watching the replay on the scoreboard) decide that it is a TD and it has somehow already been reviewed and confirmed. At least they actually did make the correct call, but talk about just making it up as you go.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Every throw Reilly makes is two yards behind the receiver. I'm not sure how a QB suddenly loses the fundamental ability to lead a receiver right in the middle of his career.

Two brutal drops from Winnipeg receivers keeps us in the game.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Command center getting it wrong is as certain as the sun rising by this point. Then again somehow Duane Ford couldn't see the clear jersey tug either I guess.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
1. It's vital to see what they have in Franklin. It will gain confirmation that he should be the man going forward.

2. The preferable route is crossing over to the East IMO. Playing at McMahon for the Western final would be a free bingo spot for the Stamps. Chances better at a neutral site win at the GC.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
1. It's vital to see what they have in Franklin. It will gain confirmation that he should be the man going forward.

2. The preferable route is crossing over to the East IMO. Playing at McMahon for the Western final would be a free bingo spot for the Stamps. Chances better at a neutral site win at the GC.
Not convinced fourth place is a guarantee right now.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I was just going to say this. And as for testing Franklin, it's not going to happen with this guy in charge.
The media needs to be asking him about this. The team has lost six in a row now and it isn't just about injuries. Reilly hasn't been playing well for much of this losing streak. He's had a stable of good receivers through out the losing streak and has struggled to score. Zero points in the first half tonight coming out of the bye week. That should open some eyes that this team has big problems. Maas needs to explain why Franklin hasn't seen some action to try to spark the team.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

At this point, could we even win a playoff game against an Eastern team? It will probably be Ottawa and Toronto we'd have to beat (Hamilton's massive choke job tonight has dampened their chances significantly), and the coaching battle is already lost against either of those teams right off the bat unless Maas is miraculously fired between now and then. If Harris and Ray are healthy, I'd say the QB battle is lost as well. Mike Reilly looks absolutely pathetic at this point, but there is no hope at all of seeing Franklin get a shot. As bad as it sounds, an injury to Reilly that forces Maas' hand might be the only hope this team has.

Disaster doesn't even do this turn of events justice. We were 7-0 and will be in a dogfight just to win 9 games and make the playoffs. If Hamilton hadn't managed to pull off that win at BC Place last Friday, I'd say we'd already be practically toast. BC probably doesn't do better than 9-9, but I seriously doubt we do either. Thankfully we have the tie-breaker.

The 2001 Alouettes starting 10-0 then losing 9 straight is the only collapse in CFL history that I can remember that is worse than this one. Heads rolled in Montreal after that, and they better roll here.

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
It was time to start Franklin weeks ago. Now it's just pathetic. Mike R was staring down his receivers all night. He managed zero points in a half with an awesome receiving core and a good o line. Time to move on.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I have to say that I am not at all surprised that they lost this game. What I do find concerning though is that they are making a habit out of finding ways to lose games like this.

The last couple of minutes of the 2nd quarter and the 4th quarter can reveal a lot about a team.
In the last few minutes of the 1st half the Esks took a penalty to too many men on the field...it led to a Winnipeg TD.
In the last few minutes of the game Reilly throws an ill advised pass and it becomes a pick 6. So despite all the opportunity Winnipeg gave the Esks (missed FG's et al) the Esks find a way to lose.
That IMO should be a major point of concern moving forward and is a major tell on the issues with this team. The only saving grace for this team is that they play the worst team in the CFL next game. They should win that game but it wont be easy. Thats how bad this team has become.
Bad teams always seem to find a way to lose. Next week will a case of which team is worse....not which team is better.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The media needs to be asking him about this. The team has lost six in a row now and it isn't just about injuries. Reilly hasn't been playing well for much of this losing streak. He's had a stable of good receivers through out the losing streak and has struggled to score. Zero points in the first half tonight coming out of the bye week. That should open some eyes that this team has big problems. Maas needs to explain why Franklin hasn't seen some action to try to spark the team.
I don't know if they dare ask him because he has such an explosive temper. As for who would ask, I mean is sucky Dave C. going to ask? Not too likely.

In Terry Jones column today he didn't even mention Reilly's performance much less Franklin. He said the problem was handing off too many times to Van whom I thought had a decent game.

Last edited:

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I don't the Esks winning another significant game this year unless they change the QB.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't know if they dare ask him because he has such an explosive temper. As for who would ask, I mean is sucky Dave C. going to ask? Not too likely.

In Terry Jones column today he didn't even mention Reilly's performance much less Franklin. He said the problem was handing off too many times to Van whom I thought had a decent game.
The media can't ask legitimate questions because the head coach gets mad? I guess not much has changed since Hervey was fired. I can't see Maas being back next year. Not being able to win football games AND being anti media is a really bad mix, pretty much a non starter.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The media can't ask legitimate questions because the head coach gets mad? I guess not much has changed since Hervey was fired. I can't see Maas being back next year. Not being able to win football games AND being anti media is a really bad mix, pretty much a non starter.

I think some people around the EE didn't realize that it wasn't just Hervey who got into it with the league over the wired for sound incident. Maas was irate about it.

I thought at the time that it was rather childish because after all this is a league that is struggling in many ways and it is looking for new ideas but that didn't seem to sink in with either of these guys.

Do you really think that Sunderland would fire Maas in the off-season? It might be warranted but I doubt it would happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad