Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread 2.0: 7 - 5

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
wake me when the esks number of players on the 6 game list is not in the teens.
at least nudge me when they get someone who doesn't lose games with their pathetic kicking.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
The past 2 losses are not on reilly at all

Agreed. This team has a lot bigger problems than at quarterback and while I'm ok with the idea of giving Franklin some plays or even a start here or there I thinking trading Reilly sets off a rebuild and we're too good for that. Our defence is still shredded and missing Sherritt really hurts not to mention the secondary. Our kicking game is horrible, a lot of that is on the injury to Whyte.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'll put my two cents in on the Reilly/Franklin conversation, and say what I've said all along. Franklin needs to get some reps when things are not going well. And when you lose 5 in a row, many of them by blowouts, I would say that qualifies as not going well. Give Mike a chance to sit on the sideline, whether he likes it or not, and a chance to regroup and take a look from there. Also gives us a chance to see how Franklin has progressed in the last year or so, instead of the garbage time game he usually gets at the end of the year. God forbid he should light it up and start a QB controversy.:sarcasm:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Watch closer the cb right hand clearly grabs the mask

If it's the pass attempt to Williams you're referring to, the Argo defender never grabs the facemask. Looked at it multiple times now, and is hand is all over it but he never grabs it.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Reilly's protection hasn't been the best but when you have a receiving corps consisting of Bowman, Walker, Zylstra and Williams, you expect consistent and decent production. Reilly's accuracy issues and inability to check to the right coverages has been on display the past few weeks and though there have been drops, there have been way more overthrows, underthrows and miscommunications. Reilly's mechanics that were so good to start this year have completely evaporated; even when he has time in the pocket, his feet are rarely set and he locks in.

Guy has two NFL caliber receivers to throw to in Walker and Williams. Maybe 3 considering what Zylstra has shown. There are no excuses for his poor performances lately.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'll put my two cents in on the Reilly/Franklin conversation, and say what I've said all along. Franklin needs to get some reps when things are not going well. And when you lose 5 in a row, many of them by blowouts, I would say that qualifies as not going well. Give Mike a chance to sit on the sideline, whether he likes it or not, and a chance to regroup and take a look from there. Also gives us a chance to see how Franklin has progressed in the last year or so, instead of the garbage time game he usually gets at the end of the year. God forbid he should light it up and start a QB controversy.:sarcasm:

When you've started losing games you need to be more open minded towards doing things in a different way. There are a lot of reasons why this team is losing games and the offence is one of them. They haven't been scoring enough points. How this team gets to the point of a five game losing streak without Franklin seeing any meaningful playing time is a pretty bold move by Maas. He's going to sink or swim with Reilly when he really doesn't need to. Future be damned in the process as I'm sure Franklin goes somewhere else next year.

Mass doesn't seem to be much of a big picture guy. The microphone incident last year and his handling of Franklin this year. His hire surprised me as I wasn't sure he was mature enough and ready to be a head coach after one year as an offensive coordinator. Count me in the group that hasn't seen enough to have changed my mind about him.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
When you've started losing games you need to be more open minded towards doing things in a different way. There are a lot of reasons why this team is losing games and the offence is one of them. They haven't been scoring enough points. How this team gets to the point of a five game losing streak without Franklin seeing any meaningful playing time is a pretty bold move by Maas. He's going to sink or swim with Reilly when he really doesn't need to. Future be damned in the process as I'm sure Franklin goes somewhere else next year.

Mass doesn't seem to be much of a big picture guy. The microphone incident last year and his handling of Franklin this year. His hire surprised me as I wasn't sure he was mature enough and ready to be a head coach after one year as an offensive coordinator. Count me in the group that hasn't seen enough to have changed my mind about him.

I think your post here really touches on what I have been seeing in Maas regarding maturity and big picture events. He has made a very loud and bold statement in the last 5 games that makes me pretty uncomfortable and it reminds me of other problems we have had with coaches (Reed and others) as well as management in the organization.

He has clearly told everyone that Reilly is his friend and he is not going to risk offending him in any way. It sounds like "take it or leave it, get somebody else if you want to" and that doesn't work in pro-football. It is not a mature way of looking at a high profile position.

It's true that Sunderland is a rookie GM but he is still the boss and I think he needs to address these issues with Maas.

With regards to the earlier post by SD, I think the O-line has not been great but at the same time Reilly has 4 high calibre receiving targets that other teams would love to have. He doesn't have a rifle arm but needs to make better use of the guys he is throwing to. He also needs a quicker release.

I guess we won't know about the quality of QB 1A until Franklin goes somewhere else. That's unfortunate because I think when you have a 5 game losing streak then there is good reason to explore the answer.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Reilly's protection hasn't been the best but when you have a receiving corps consisting of Bowman, Walker, Zylstra and Williams, you expect consistent and decent production. Reilly's accuracy issues and inability to check to the right coverages has been on display the past few weeks and though there have been drops, there have been way more overthrows, underthrows and miscommunications. Reilly's mechanics that were so good to start this year have completely evaporated; even when he has time in the pocket, his feet are rarely set and he locks in.

Guy has two NFL caliber receivers to throw to in Walker and Williams. Maybe 3 considering what Zylstra has shown. There are no excuses for his poor performances lately.

Yeah this level of production out of an almost fully healthy offense is unacceptable.

I think Reilly's protection has been as good as anyone else's though, besides Bo Levi who has yet to incur so much as a grass stain the last two years. This O-line has come a long, long way over the last three years or so. I've found Reilly's biggest issue has been failure to look off the coverage. Way too many plays where he is locked on to the primary. You've got to go through your progressions to keep the safety honest, and that hasn't been happening.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If the Riders beat the Stamps (who knows, the Roughies are playing well these days, and Calgary has to lose sometime, don't they?), and the Lions beat the Ticats (a very real possibility), Sask jumps ahead of us due to beating us in head to head so far, and the Lions tie us for 4th. Who knew a few short weeks ago that our tilt with B.C. could be the deciding game to see who goes on the cross-over and who misses the playoffs.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Sorry, couldn't see anything from that angle either. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Moot point now anyhow I suppose. They need to move on and get ready for Winnipeg.

Its clear as day lol even clime and steagall called out the officials after the fact and admitted there mistake

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
lol...you just cant let it go.

In fairness even Bud Stein said on the Jason Gregor show today that he got the facemask and it was pass interference. I didn't see it during the game either though.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
In fairness even Bud Stein said on the Jason Gregor show today that he got the facemask and it was pass interference. I didn't see it during the game either though.

Fair enough.
Apparently Maas was still hot about it 3 days later. Not sure thats a good thing. Have to let it go...set a healthy example for his team.

Being too stubborn to move on is not a positive.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Fair enough.
Apparently Maas was still hot about it 3 days later. Not sure thats a good thing. Have to let it go...set a healthy example for his team.

Being too stubborn to move on is not a positive.

Agreed, Maas is still hot under the collar days later and this is starting to attract more and more attention around the league. The press around the country are making fun of the EE sidelines and remarking on how "no headset is safe." This is simply not a good thing. You have to move on and ask more important questions like why the offence isn't producing more points in critical situations.

Sure the refs in the CFL are bad but good teams (ie-Stampeders) find a way to win and overcome these challenges.

You notice that no one in the Edmonton press dares to ask why Maas didn't give Franklin playing time in the last 5 games. Its because he is turning into such a hot head.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Agreed, Maas is still hot under the collar days later and this is starting to attract more and more attention around the league. The press around the country are making fun of the EE sidelines and remarking on how "no headset is safe." This is simply not a good thing. You have to move on and ask more important questions like why the offence isn't producing more points in critical situations.

Sure the refs in the CFL are bad but good teams (ie-Stampeders) find a way to win and overcome these challenges.

You notice that no one in the Edmonton press dares to ask why Maas didn't give Franklin playing time in the last 5 games. Its because he is turning into such a hot head.

you see, you see this bolded part and just say "oh well", i see it and say "i'm not watching anymore".... and i'm not alone

i'll start taking the CFL seriously again when the reffing improves, until then i'm a casual fan (at best).... i don't even watch esks games anymore, and i haven't watched a non-esks game in *years*

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
you see, you see this bolded part and just say "oh well", i see it and say "i'm not watching anymore".... and i'm not alone

i'll start taking the CFL seriously again when the reffing improves, until then i'm a casual fan (at best).... i don't even watch esks games anymore, and i haven't watched a non-esks game in *years*

But its always been bad, going back to the days when I was a little kid watching the games at old Clarke Stadium in Edmonton.

If I had said I wouldn't watch any more CFL games until the referees improved then I would have missed out on 40+ years of games and there have been a lot of exciting moments since then that I am glad I didn't miss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad