Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread 2.0: 7 - 5

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
We will find out just how good this Eskimo team really is in a few weeks.

With seven(!!!) more players added to the injured list today, we'll find out how good this Eskimos' depth is before that.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This is why I use them as the bar for the Eskimos.

Absolutely. Too bad about the injuries.

With seven(!!!) more players added to the injured list today, we'll find out how good this Eskimos' depth is before that.

It sucks for sure. That said if they can at least be competitive that would be an accomplishment.
If they can split the 2 back to back games I will be very impressed.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I'm actually prepared to use injuries as a justifiable excuse, and that's something I usually hate when people do.

the injury list is shocking. Hamilton is the only other team that comes even close. might be a sloppy game tonight, especially considering the weather.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

Maas said today that "quite a few" of the players who went on the 6 game reserve list last week could be out for the season so that is not good news especially since the LS (King) is a difficult position to replace. I wonder if Colquhoun is also out for the season? That is definitely bad news for ratio watchers.

Since we are at game 6 now and a number of the guys went on the list at the beginning of the season a few of the wounded should be returning next week. I wonder if Chambers, Hunt, Hightower and Kelly might be ready to go next week but in each case are they really an upgrade over who we have starting? If Hightower is ready then where do you put him in the D-backfield?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Man...the Stamps are a serious force to be reckoned with in all 3 phases of the game. :amazed:

All the West teams are winning against the East.

The real test is when the West face themselves.

tbh I think the Stamps were better last year. BLM isn't playing nearly as well this year.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I wonder how many of these so called "replacements" we have playing now will push out the injured guys on a permanent basis if this keeps up? For sure, there is a talent drop off in some areas, but it hasn't hurt us as much as I thought it would to this point. Experience is the only thing missing in a lot of cases. For all we know, Maston and co. could turn out to be our starters next year. There could be a lot of "Wally Pipps" on this team.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Man...the Stamps are a serious force to be reckoned with in all 3 phases of the game. :amazed:

My thoughts as well. The Stamps have always been the ultimate barometer for us. I hope we can glue what we have left together and get through the rest of the month without losing a bunch more, and the guys we have can get some experience. The key for me, is the line play on both sides. And to this point, we have dominated there, and everything else has seemed to fall into place. The d-line has been the glue that has held the defence together this year, and have been injury free, other than Philip Hunt and the usual Marcus Howard hangnail. The O-line, up till the past couple weeks has also been healthy, but now they'll be tested with Figeoroa and Rottier out. Have to give management (Hervey) and Sunderland a lot of credit for bringing in some solid depth this year. Maas is looking like a savant when he said this is the most depth he's ever seen in his time in this league. We're well past the initial backups in some cases.

Last edited:

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I'm not sure the Stamps are a logical barometer for anything, unless you think the Eskimos are better than them(I assume nobody in this thread thinks this).

The Stamps could stomp us 60-1;) in every game this season and Edmonton would still have a legitimate claim to being the leagues second best team.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I wonder how many of these so called "replacements" we have playing now will push out the injured guys on a permanent basis if this keeps up? For sure, there is a talent drop off in some areas, but it hasn't hurt us as much as I thought it would to this point. Experience is the only thing missing in a lot of cases. For all we know, Maston and co. could turn out to be our starters next year. There could be a lot of "Wally Pipps" on this team.

Bowman might be a good example. He is 32 now and hasn't (so far) had a great year. It looks like there are at least 3 receivers on the team who are as good as he is and I would say in the case of Zylstra perhaps better. Hazelton is clutch and is a great YAC guy.

It will be interesting, as guys come off the list to see if/how they are slotted back into the lineup. The depth of the club is undeniable.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
could be interesting. a kicker who hasn't played in a game in a long time who has been out of football over a year with a backup long snapper, too.

I think the esks should just play 3 down football. no punting.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
could be interesting. a kicker who hasn't played in a game in a long time who has been out of football over a year with a backup long snapper, too.

I think the esks should just play 3 down football. no punting.

I was actually worried about the King brother injuries and how that might affect the special teams. I hope they don't get into a "difficult" spot because of that.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
My only question is how did the Stamps lose already?
Esks are a hurtin unit right now but continue to win
Hopefully they gut out another tonight but this is a trap game for sure

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
My only question is how did the Stamps lose already?
Esks are a hurtin unit right now but continue to win
Hopefully they gut out another tonight but this is a trap game for sure

My prediction is the Esks go into the 4th down 15 points. Win by 7.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
What a hilariously unimpressive win. :laugh: The Eskimos did everything in their power to give that game away. Dumb penalties, idiotic play calls, a completely anemic offense, and some really stupid turnovers to boot.

I get that the Esks are hurting but holy **** that was about as bad a win as they come.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
6-0....last time Eskimos went 6-0 was 50 years ago! :amazed: Plus more injuries? Man, if we keep winning and the injured players all come back, we can field 2 teams better than the Ticats :laugh:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Penalties and some really stupid decisions.

3rd and 1 is a QB sneak every single time. Why would you ever drop back?

ya that was one of the stupidiest decisions you can make...punt the damn ball away and make the Ti-cats march the field
and the way the front 4 were pressuring, Hamilton would've been cooked earlier

Esks tried everything to give this game to Hamilton....thankfully the Ti-cats are awful

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->