Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread 2.0: 7 - 5

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
you see, you see this bolded part and just say "oh well", i see it and say "i'm not watching anymore".... and i'm not alone

i'll start taking the CFL seriously again when the reffing improves, until then i'm a casual fan (at best).... i don't even watch esks games anymore, and i haven't watched a non-esks game in *years*

I've been a CFL fan since the 1970's. The officiating has always been bad. These guys don't get paid much and the league can't attract a high quality official (if there is such a thing).it isn't going to get better. It is what it is. As a fan you learn to accept it and enjoy the league and game for what it is. If you can't, that's your prerogative. You're obviously not alone as the league clearly has an aging fan base. What makes it seem worse today is every mistake can be seen over and over in high definition on replays. Our generation never had to deal with that. We got one angle and usually just one replay and that was it. The game moved on and you forgot about it.

The problem to me is the league tried to fix their on field officiating deficiencies with a review system operated by people who are no more competent than the guys on the field are. When you have guys still screwing up calls even though they have the benefit of watching the play as many times as they need to in slow motion is when it looks shady. There isn't any excuse for it. Shows me the system doesn't work.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
But its always been bad, going back to the days when I was a little kid watching the games at old Clarke Stadium in Edmonton.

If I had said I wouldn't watch any more CFL games until the referees improved then I would have missed out on 40+ years of games and there have been a lot of exciting moments since then that I am glad I didn't miss.

Great post.:handclap:

If you get enjoyment from the games and love the team, you watch no matter what.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Get him a uniform and get him in there.

Hasn't kicked in game since 2013. Worse stats than any of the kickers tried already this year. 4 for 6 in his career on field goals under 30 yards. Not sure how this helps. I guess the best you could say is that he's young still and could have improved, but doubtful if he hasn't got onto a roster in 4 years.

drewshoo

Feb 26, 2014
Lethbridge
If only there was a local guy who was maybe like selling cars or something that was still fit enough to kick. And if his name rhymed with Mant Flaw. Wouldn't that be something?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Agreed, Maas is still hot under the collar days later and this is starting to attract more and more attention around the league. The press around the country are making fun of the EE sidelines and remarking on how "no headset is safe." This is simply not a good thing. You have to move on and ask more important questions like why the offence isn't producing more points in critical situations.

Sure the refs in the CFL are bad but good teams (ie-Stampeders) find a way to win and overcome these challenges.

You notice that no one in the Edmonton press dares to ask why Maas didn't give Franklin playing time in the last 5 games. Its because he is turning into such a hot head.

Good post. This situation is becoming dysfunctional and all this was/is totally unnecessary. Maas has a great opportunity for growth here...I hope he takes advantage of it. I suspect he wont.

But its always been bad, going back to the days when I was a little kid watching the games at old Clarke Stadium in Edmonton.

If I had said I wouldn't watch any more CFL games until the referees improved then I would have missed out on 40+ years of games and there have been a lot of exciting moments since then that I am glad I didn't miss.

Agreed 100%. :handclap:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Hasn't kicked in game since 2013. Worse stats than any of the kickers tried already this year. 4 for 6 in his career on field goals under 30 yards. Not sure how this helps. I guess the best you could say is that he's young still and could have improved, but doubtful if he hasn't got onto a roster in 4 years.

I don't know anything about him, I've never heard of him. Just figured he'd have to be better than what we already have because that's been awful. From what you're saying about him, I guess the problem isn't fixed.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I thought I read somewhere that Whyte would be back for the Winnipeg game, and that he potentially could be sharing kicking duties with O'Neil. (I'll let you figure out who does what:D). The theory being that doing too much this season wore Whyte out a bit and affected his punting.

If that's the case, I'm not sure why they brought this other kicker in. I thought O'Neil's punting has been fine, but maybe they think otherwise.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I thought I read somewhere that Whyte would be back for the Winnipeg game, and that he potentially could be sharing kicking duties with O'Neil. (I'll let you figure out who does what:D). The theory being that doing too much this season wore Whyte out a bit and affected his punting.

If that's the case, I'm not sure why they brought this other kicker in. I thought O'Neil's punting has been fine, but maybe they think otherwise.

Or maybe Whyte isnt quite ready. I like your scenario better though. :D

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'll chime in as one of the oldtimers who has seen it all, and agree that the officiating has always been crap, and always will be as long as they're being paid slightly higher than a grocery store clerk. You attract what you're willing to pay for. But the CFL is a low budget league, and I'm not sure that ever changes, so we have to live with it, grind our teeth and hope some calls go our way.
When you have a good team, and are playing well, the calls don't seem to affect you that much. Funny how that works.

Just to put into context, the average NFL referee salary is around 173,000 (set to go up to 200,000 by 2019) and the commissioner of the NFL makes 35 mill/year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'll chime in as one of the oldtimers who has seen it all, and agree that the officiating has always been crap, and always will be as long as they're being paid slightly higher than a grocery store clerk. You attract what you're willing to pay for. But the CFL is a low budget league, and I'm not sure that ever changes, so we have to live with it, grind our teeth and hope some calls go our way.

Just to put into context, the average NFL referee salary is around 173,000 (set to go up to 200,000 by 2019) and the commissioner of the NFL makes 35 mill/year.

Absolutely.

I have used this analogy before but the CFL reminds me of the 60's Star Trek. You watch it knowing that it has flaws and you accept it because you enjoy what it does offer.
Probably have to be a certain vintage though. :nod:

That might explain why the CFL is having trouble attracting a younger audience...its flaws are highlighted more now than ever before.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Absolutely.

I have used this analogy before but the CFL reminds me of the 60's Star Trek. You watch it knowing that it has flaws and you accept it because you enjoy what it does offer.

So the NFL is Abrams' Trek? :sarcasm:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Absolutely.

Are you telling me the Starship Enterprise wasn't a real spaceship and actually only a model toy? And the filming was in a studio instead of real outer space? And Spock's ears were fakes?

Well, that sucks.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Are you telling me the Starship Enterprise wasn't a real spaceship and actually only a model toy? And the filming was in a studio instead of real outer space? And Spock's ears were fakes?

Well, that sucks.

I know. It was a downer for me too. But Shatners bad acting was real. :D

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I've been a CFL fan since the 1970's. The officiating has always been bad. These guys don't get paid much and the league can't attract a high quality official (if there is such a thing).it isn't going to get better. It is what it is. As a fan you learn to accept it and enjoy the league and game for what it is. If you can't, that's your prerogative. You're obviously not alone as the league clearly has an aging fan base. What makes it seem worse today is every mistake can be seen over and over in high definition on replays. Our generation never had to deal with that. We got one angle and usually just one replay and that was it. The game moved on and you forgot about it.

The problem to me is the league tried to fix their on field officiating deficiencies with a review system operated by people who are no more competent than the guys on the field are. When you have guys still screwing up calls even though they have the benefit of watching the play as many times as they need to in slow motion is when it looks shady. There isn't any excuse for it. Shows me the system doesn't work.

well, as long as it they don't fix it, i won't be a major fan.... its just unwatchable for the most part right now.... even when i watch a team i've been cheering for for 30+ years, i'm not really invested in any real way, because i know its just as likely that the upcoming win or loss will be due to shoddy refs, rather than which team was better/worst on that day

all sports have problems with refs, but the other "big" leagues (NFL, NBA, NHL, pro-soccer, and even the NCAA football) don't have the same level of problems.... yes, i just said that *soccer* has significantly better refs than the CFL does, and i don't even think that saying that should be very controversial either

you might be willing to accept it, and that is great (i wish i could as well to be honest), but i simply can't

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Random kicker signed today. Brett Lauther

It's ridiculous. Sign Shaw already, he can do both and is a reasonably decent FG kicker. I've been saying it for some time. I'm fine with O'Neill as a punter but the dude can't kick FG.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Really nice to see Grymes coming back, exactly what the secondary needs. Now we just need a MLB, hopefully Jones comes back soon, and the defense should be decent enough. Of course some healthy DB's wouldn't hurt, Thompson and Colquhoun in particular.

Moneyguy do you know if any of Jones, Thompson, or Colquhoun are close to returning?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's ridiculous. Sign Shaw already, he can do both and is a reasonably decent FG kicker. I've been saying it for some time. I'm fine with O'Neill as a punter but the dude can't kick FG.

Shaw is actually working in town and ready to go apparently.

There has to be more to this story otherwise it would have happened already.

EDIT: Grymes is a huge addition especially considering the timing. He will have a bye week to prepare. Good stuff.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Sure hope there's some truth to this Grymes stuff. We need him sooooooo badly.

Added bonus, if Jefferson's good to go, we may see Young relegated to backup or even practice squad!!

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Really nice to see Grymes coming back, exactly what the secondary needs. Now we just need a MLB, hopefully Jones comes back soon, and the defense should be decent enough. Of course some healthy DB's wouldn't hurt, Thompson and Colquhoun in particular.

Moneyguy do you know if any of Jones, Thompson, or Colquhoun are close to returning?

I'll check.

Sure hope there's some truth to this Grymes stuff. We need him sooooooo badly.

Added bonus, if Jefferson's good to go, we may see Young relegated to backup or even practice squad!!

Grymes is signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad