GDT: [ECSF Game 6] CAR@NYR- THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HELL

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
They're going to have prioritize finding a fix for the PP, I think. I would be more inclined to feel that this was part of the process and internal development can be the solution if this wasn't a multi-year problem. In non-Bubble road games, it's <10% (in a 19 game sample). Aho and Teravainen, the constants on that unit over the years, just haven't got it done.

The lack of a one-timer from the half wall hurts. It's a movement PP and when they're not confident, thus not executing, they can do nothing other than continue to move the puck. There's no one capable of just hammering it in when they need exactly that.

I was adverse to Laine in the past, but this is just so painful to watch. I would not criticize them, if they acquired a player with warts in other situations.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
They're going to have prioritize finding a fix for the PP, I think. I would be more inclined to feel that this was part of the process and internal development can be the solution if this wasn't a multi-year problem. In non-Bubble road games, it's <10% (in a 19 game sample). Aho and Teravainen, the constants on that unit over the years, just haven't got it done.

The lack of a one-timer from the half wall hurts. It's a movement PP and when they're not confident, thus not executing, they can do nothing other than continue to move the puck. There's no one capable of just hammering it in when they need exactly that.

I was adverse to Laine in the past, but this is just so painful to watch. I would not criticize them, if they acquired a player with warts in other situations.
Also kinda need a legit threat to one-time from the point as well. TDA is a good-to-great QB, but I never thought of his shot to be overly imposing. If he’s hesitant to shoot, as he has been, we’ve got nothing up top in the way of a shooter.

Reactions: Tryamw

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
Assuming Andersen is still dead you gotta go with Raanta for 7 right?

Absolutely, he's shown for the majority of the playoffs he can be consistent, versus a Freddy that hasn't played in a live game in awhile, that sounds like more of a gamble. Raanta earned this game 7 chance.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Also kinda need a legit threat to one-time from the point as well. TDA is a good-to-great QB, but I never thought of his shot to be overly imposing. If he’s hesitant to shoot, as he has been, we’ve got nothing up top in the way of a shooter.
I hope that isn’t a priority. We need the offense to get away from driven from the point, not make it more reliant on it.

Reactions: ndp and Tryamw

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I hope that isn’t a priority. We need the offense to get away from driven from the point, not make it more reliant on it.
You still need the threat of it to potentially draw the defense out to create space elsewhere for Aho/TT/Trocheck etc.

Right now we’ve got no threats, well, anywhere. Nobody is shooting up top or on the wall and nobody wants to drive the net. It’s just pass, pass, pass, pass, clear. Rinse and repeat.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

The thing about the Canes is they have everything but those one or 2 elite players. If they had one player that was consistently dangerous on the power play it could mean the difference in a tight playoff game.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

Honestly if prioritizing the powerplay was on Rod's agenda, it would have been done before this season at the very least. This is just simply how he does things, and if we win at home in game 7 to make it to the ECF he's just going to double down on this approach. People should probably start accepting that if we're going to try to win, it's going to be the late 90s/early 00s Devils mold. But without the hitting and fighting. It's a bold strategy, Cotton

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I had five guys for lunch, and my order number was 20, so Aho is guaranteed to score.

Everything else is up in the air though.

Oh it's a restaurant!

It can be....wink wink.
Abooch68 (since his post was deleted): "I live in Tampa. And I could take all 5 hurricanes fans with one arm."

Take them? What like jerk them off?
Whoa the wire gif.gif

So, was the Five Guys talk earlier interpreted by him like Lempo, or is that Abooch's kink? It is an interesting coincidence that makes you think 🧐

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Honestly if prioritizing the powerplay was on Rod's agenda, it would have been done before this season at the very least. This is just simply how he does things, and if we win at home in game 7 to make it to the ECF he's just going to double down on this approach. People should probably start accepting that if we're going to try to win, it's going to be the late 90s/early 00s Devils mold. But without the hitting and fighting. It's a bold strategy, Cotton

Yeah, and that won't work against Tampa unless they take no penalties. Our PK has regressed considerably which is really our only secret sauce other than Raanta playing above his pay grade. Well, and of course Slavin and the Staal line at home.

The Blue Jackets shocked the hockey world after sweeping them in 2019. Well guess what? They went 5–10 on the power play. Tampa also had the leagues number 1 PK that season.

We've already been there and done it. Special teams is crucial if you're gonna make it a series against them.

Addressing the power play should be objective #1.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Yeah, and that won't work against Tampa unless they take no penalties. Our PK has regressed considerably which is really our only secret sauce other than Raanta playing above his pay grade. Well, and of course Slavin and the Staal line at home.

The Blue Jackets shocked the hockey world after sweeping them in 2019. Well guess what? They went 5–10 on the power play. Tampa also had the leagues number 1 PK that season.

We've already been there and done it. Special teams is crucial if you're gonna make it a series against them.

Addressing the power play should be objective #1.
No real disagreement here. Consider my reply a like lol.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
He’s an rfa this summer. Exclusive negotiating rights for us. His ask should certainly come down after the way he’s finishing the season.
May go like with Faulk; they'll either publicly or privately allow him to talk with other teams and if he can find a SPC to his liking elsewhere, he will be traded to that team this summer.

It's actually funny how open the organization is to let the players and even the brass go get better offers from other teams. They are not the ones to overpay, to the point of willfully negating the exclusive negotiating privilege whenever a contract is about to be up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elsker and Tryamw

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Svech needs to develop his one-timer to be an effective on the PP.
One thing to remember is that the Rangers had one of the best PP in the league this season. Expecting to shut that down is a bit unrealistic. A couple of soft calls against and undisciplined play have lead to Ranger PP's.
This has been a really good series. Looks like the Canes have the advantage in Game 7. If they get by the Rangers, I really expect the next series to look nothing like this one. I like the Canes chances against Tampa if they advance.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
He’s an rfa this summer. Exclusive negotiating rights for us. His ask should certainly come down after the way he’s finishing the season.
Yes, but if Carolina’s ask comes down based on the postseason I expect we will see negotiation up to and through an arbitration filing by TDA.

And he should; his tender offer is not representative of his play this season. Whether he’s signed for 1-2 years, a long term deal, or jettisoned like Ned for his salary demands remains to be seen.

Svech needs to develop his one-timer to be an effective on the PP.
One thing to remember is that the Rangers had one of the best PP in the league this season. Expecting to shut that down is a bit unrealistic. A couple of soft calls against and undisciplined play have lead to Ranger PP's.
This has been a really good series. Looks like the Canes have the advantage in Game 7. If they get by the Rangers, I really expect the next series to look nothing like this one. I like the Canes chances against Tampa if they advance.
That makes one of us.

Carolina is going to need to stay out of the box, solve a bigger goalie than Shesterkin with similar talent, and shut down multiple dangerous lines at home. And given its Tampa, they will likely need to steal one on the road because Tampa is likely to steal one in Raleigh.

They will need to find their A game in a hurry to get by Tampa.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
And he should; his tender offer is not representative of his play this season. Whether he’s signed for 1-2 years, a long term deal, or jettisoned like Ned for his salary demands remains to be seen.
The qualified offer is very often only a ceremonial protocol-required thing so the team gets to retain their rights on an RFA. Especially with the better tier guys coming off an ELC, the QO isn't reflective of their play at all. Tony is in a similar situation where his previous year's salary was artificially very low and can't even be brought up as a starting point.

The COVID seasons were a bit peculiar in the way that many guys off their max basic ELC actually exceptionally snappily took theirs, to ensure that they at least got an SPC for the next season. It's hilarious how many 1 x $874,125 guys there were signed (105 % x $832,500). No one even stopped to ask the team make it up to $875k.

Reactions: Tryamw and Chrispy

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I see a little bright side to this game in that the Rangers didn't really play all that well.

Any confidence they have going into game 7 isn't very just, and maybe it could backfire on them They were gifted four soft goals (I don't fault Rants too much on that 2 on 1). The two Kochetkov let in were almost as bad as the first two Raanta let in. This was probably the worst goaltending performance we have seen from this team all season.

If the goaltending returns to form next game I feel a lot better about this game 7 then heading into game 7 with Boston.

I think Raanta can keep this one in the rear view, he is a vet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad