GDT: [ECSF Game 6] CAR@NYR- THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HELL

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Lamenting the loss today and looking at rosters. The comments that Canes are young just doen't fly when you look at the roster. Most of the roster is already at their prime years, if not the back half of their most producing years. I separated groups into below age 26, 26-30 and then above 30. Threw in Rangers and Bolts for comparison and even Tampa has a roster profile which could allow them to win for up to two years more.
CANES RANGERS BOLTS.png

Avs and Oilers for comparision sake:

avs and oilers.jpg

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
I hope that isn’t a priority. We need the offense to get away from driven from the point, not make it more reliant on it.
This, this, this. It's pretty obvious that other teams have figured this out and are exploiting the gameplan against them.

How many passes from down low, back out to the point have lead to odd man rushes or flat out breakaways going the other way?

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Lamenting the loss today and looking at rosters. The comments that Canes are young just doen't fly when you look at the roster. Most of the roster is already at their prime years, if not the back half of their most producing years. I separated groups into below age 26, 26-30 and then above 30. Threw in Rangers and Bolts for comparison and even Tampa has a roster profile which could allow them to win for up to two years more.View attachment 553478

View attachment 553480
Add this in with upcoming contracts to be dealt with and the window imo is now. Staal isn't getting any younger, honestly I wish they would have made more of a push at the deadline last season while he was actually on an offensive tear, if he ever breaks .5 ppg again I'll be extremely surprised.

While the KK offer-sheet might be a great deal long-term? He's been pretty disappointing this series, hell Shesterkin had more points in the game last night than KK has this whole series. This team needs depth scoring in the worst kind of way.

Everyone keeps talking about needing production from our stars but when there's no depth production it makes it a hell of a lot easier for the other teams to shut the stars down.

I've also seen people, not necessarily here, but online talking about trading Turbo? Turbo needs to step up? Are they watching the same games, isn't he leading the team in playoffs points?

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Lamenting the loss today and looking at rosters. The comments that Canes are young just doen't fly when you look at the roster. Most of the roster is already at their prime years, if not the back half of their most producing years. I separated groups into below age 26, 26-30 and then above 30. Threw in Rangers and Bolts for comparison and even Tampa has a roster profile which could allow them to win for up to two years more.View attachment 553478

View attachment 553480

Zooming out, this team went from making the playoffs 4 times in 18 years, to 4 times in a row since 2018. They were division champs twice, and made it to a conference final in that span. One more win, and they're back to the CF. Making it to the final 4 in hockey is an accomplishment in and of itself.

It's frustrating as we've seen how dominant this team can be, then seemingly fall apart like they did last night, and always on the Road. It's maddening if you focus on it too much, BUT at the end of the day they're doing very well even if they don't make it to a Cup, or win a cup within their window. Plenty of good teams never get that opportunity.

I do have confidence in Dundon especially, and obviously Rod and co. I question some of Rod's decisions sometimes but hey, he has completely turned this team around. I still think there's plenty of time, and I'm sure they'll continue to push for a Cup.

At this point, if they could just beat NY and we don't have to listen to the ESPN Rangers feed, I'll be happy.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I mean, you don't have to listen to the ESPN feed. I've been keeping track of the series entirely through Twitter and I'm not nearly as annoyed by this series as I was the Boston one.

I didn't watch last night's game (because I knew they'd lose it), but I checked in occasionally through Twitter and Reddit, and it sounds like they made the same mistakes they've been making. Gave up an early goal and became undisciplined late in the game.

Honestly, I think this is probably the healthiest way to fandom. Keep a vested interest through social media rather than watching the games, and suddenly, it's no longer about individual plays or players. Wins and losses are the only things that matter, and losses don't ruin days like they used to.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I mean, you don't have to listen to the ESPN feed. I've been keeping track of the series entirely through Twitter and I'm not nearly as annoyed by this series as I was the Boston one.

I didn't watch last night's game (because I knew they'd lose it), but I checked in occasionally through Twitter and Reddit, and it sounds like they made the same mistakes they've been making. Gave up an early goal and became undisciplined late in the game.

Honestly, I think this is probably the healthiest way to fandom. Keep a vested interest through social media rather than watching the games, and suddenly, it's no longer about individual plays or players. Wins and losses are the only things that matter, and losses don't ruin days like they used to.

Honestly, I’ve taken the same approach to this series. I did not watch games 3 and 4, but kept up on Twitter, just in case they made it competitive. I watched all of game 5.

I did watch last night up until the Motte goal. After that, nope, the rest of what happened was inevitable.

I’ll tune in for game 7 and am sure I’ll be emotionally invested, but if they start to play like they did in the Garden at home, I have better things to do/watch.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

I've been watching this team for 22 years. I'm well past losses ruining my day. I can be upset with a performance like last nights, but I'm for sure moving on after a game.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
Ups and downs. We not long ago went through a near decade of crap. (JF & TT made it somewhat bearable). Given the recent success I'm not gonna bitch too much. Yes it would be nice to not see them implode at this point in time. Dare I say win another cup? But who'd a thunk there would be a NHL team in my little old home town of Raleigh that I could root for, good or bad.

And f*ck yeah, let's win tomorrow.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Zooming out, this team went from making the playoffs 4 times in 18 years, to 4 times in a row since 2018. They were division champs twice, and made it to a conference final in that span. One more win, and they're back to the CF. Making it to the final 4 in hockey is an accomplishment in and of itself.

It's frustrating as we've seen how dominant this team can be, then seemingly fall apart like they did last night, and always on the Road. It's maddening if you focus on it too much, BUT at the end of the day they're doing very well even if they don't make it to a Cup, or win a cup within their window. Plenty of good teams never get that opportunity.

I do have confidence in Dundon especially, and obviously Rod and co. I question some of Rod's decisions sometimes but hey, he has completely turned this team around. I still think there's plenty of time, and I'm sure they'll continue to push for a Cup.

At this point, if they could just beat NY and we don't have to listen to the ESPN Rangers feed, I'll be happy.
Yup I’ll be pretty frakin annoyed if they don’t win tomorrow. But if we face Tampa…?

Let’s just say if I were a betting woman, I would not bet on the Canes. Not saying it’s impossible, just that I would be happy with at least making it to ECF and putting up a fight.

Again it’s just a matter of expectations. Except for the Yankees—for obvious reasons— I don’t go into seasons thinking “Championship or bust”.

That’s just me though.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

didwejustbecomebestfriends.gif

I made the decision that I wasn't going to watch any playoff games until they get far enough along that I wouldn't be too disappointed if I saw them lose.

For me, that will be next round. If they get there.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Yup I’ll be pretty frakin annoyed if they don’t win tomorrow. But if we face Tampa…?

Let’s just say if I were a betting woman, I would not bet on the Canes. Not saying it’s impossible, just that I would be happy with at least making it to ECF and putting up a fight.

Again it’s just a matter of expectations. Except for the Yankees—for obvious reasons— I don’t go into seasons thinking “Championship or bust”.

That’s just me though.

the 'home' Canes can play with and beat Tampa. We'll have home ice. But for goodness sakes figure out how to win a road game!

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
didwejustbecomebestfriends.gif

I made the decision that I wasn't going to watch any playoff games until they get far enough along that I wouldn't be too disappointed if I saw them lose.

For me, that will be next round. If they get there.
I’m not going to judge a person and how they use their time for personal enjoyment. I just cant imagine how a fan as big as you can not watch a playoff game. 5 years ago we’d give our left nut to get swept in round 1.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I’m not going to judge a person and how they use their time for personal enjoyment. I just cant imagine how a fan as big as you can not watch a playoff game. 5 years ago we’d give our left nut to get swept in round 1.
For me, it's a matter of entertainment. The Canes are extremely predictable when they're not playing well, which means you can generally tell how the game is going to play out within the first 5-10 minutes. So if I don't like what I see in that time span, I go find something else, something more entertaining, to do that night.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Game 7s can a be crap shoot. Calls go the other way, injuries, etc but I have confidence they can pull it off. Raanta will likely bounce back from last night. Thanks in part to ESPN, he looked like a man on fire.

I can only imagine what Rod wanted to say.

Seriously, f*** ESPN and Emily Kaplan. She already made Smith feel like shit when she asked how he felt about being put on waivers a year ago (while not even bringing up his goal in the interview).

Why didn't she just ask Rantaa right then and there about how he felt when he was pulled? I feel like it would have been natural for her.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
I had an incident several years back where I reacted like a huge brat after a Giants loss to the Eagles (my most hated team in all of sports). Won't go into details, but after that, I looked into the proverbial mirror and said "Are you really going to let sports dictate your mood/life this much?"

Since then, I'm still a huge sports fan, but I too have put teams on "time out" whenever the stress has outgrown the entertainment value for me. When my fave team loses in each sport, I move on to the next sport and the cycle of sports life continues each year.

To each his/her own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad