Series Discussion: ECQF: Washington Capitals vs. Toronto Maple Leafs. (LEAF FANS READ OP & POST 67)

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm not saying dress 7D unless there is significant doubt about the ability of Carlson or anyone else to finish the game. Basically I don't want another situation like Alzner in Game 6 last year, where it absolutely would have made sense to scratch a forward to get another defenseman in the lineup.

Are you really sure that is what you mean? Would you rather see Schmiddy in than Carlson anyway? If Trotz thinks its a real possibility that Carlson cant finish the game and or carry his assignment, he wont play. Alzner played 7 to 12 playoff games with that injury last playoffs. I think everyone including Alzner expected that he could make it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The cynic in me thinks Carlson has peaked, will be meh during the playoffs, and that we should trade him in the offseason. The optimist in me says Carlson is going to play in these playoffs like he wants to be paid as the team's #1 and is going to be a beast. The truth is probably some where in between.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Are you really sure that is what you mean? Would you rather see Schmiddy in than Carlson anyway? If Trotz thinks its a real possibility that Carlson cant finish the game and or carry his assignment, he wont play. Alzner played 7 to 12 playoff games with that injury last playoffs. I think everyone including Alzner expected that he could make it.

I've said before that I think Carlson and Alzner deserve to be in the lineup to start the postseason. They've shown in the past an ability to elevate their games come the postseason so it'd be foolish to sit them because of a subpar regular season given their track record.

With regards to last season maybe Alzner and the staff expected him to make it through the game but it's not like they had 12 forwards that absolutely couldn't be scratched. They had plenty of ineffective forwards that could have been sat in favor of Schmidt in that series to mitigate against Alzner's injury. Maybe there won't be a forward that can be reasonably sat this season w/r/t Carlson and hopefully the addition of Shattenkirk and the improvement of Orlov and Orpik makes the possibility of Carlson being forced out mid-game a less important issue. I just want an honest analysis from everyone (player, trainers, coaches) about Carlson's injury before he's placed in the lineup each night.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

Trotz is not a doctor. The hit that finished off Alzner was innocent looking enough. But the red flags were there. Alzner was not practicing IIRC yet went bowling of all things.

The kicker was our bottom 6 was invisible. Even today, it would not crush the team to have Schmidt play BCon's 8 minutes if a DMan is dinged up. Schmidt joins the rush often this year, and does not look out of place. I doubt his 8TOI would drag MJ and Eller down to uselessness.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Guys, look at the number of posts on the main. WSH-Tor has double (even more) than the 2nd highest series lol. Now I can also understand why others Canadians hate maple leafs fans lol.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Guys, look at the number of posts on the main. WSH-Tor has double (even more) than the 2nd highest series lol. Now I can also understand why others Canadians hate maple leafs fans lol.

I don't think I'll ever come back to HF if we lose to the Leafs. Ugh, could you imagine the smugness on these boards? Leafs fans would be the least of our worries.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
I've said before that I think Carlson and Alzner deserve to be in the lineup to start the postseason. They've shown in the past an ability to elevate their games come the postseason so it'd be foolish to sit them because of a subpar regular season given their track record.

With regards to last season maybe Alzner and the staff expected him to make it through the game but it's not like they had 12 forwards that absolutely couldn't be scratched. They had plenty of ineffective forwards that could have been sat in favor of Schmidt in that series to mitigate against Alzner's injury. Maybe there won't be a forward that can be reasonably sat this season w/r/t Carlson and hopefully the addition of Shattenkirk and the improvement of Orlov and Orpik makes the possibility of Carlson being forced out mid-game a less important issue. I just want an honest analysis from everyone (player, trainers, coaches) about Carlson's injury before he's placed in the lineup each night.

The problem is last years fix won't work for this years team. Any of our lines are capable of winning a game almost on their own. This is a first round opponent we "should" and can beat with Schmidt in the lineup. If Carlson isn't participating in full practices as TXPD pointed out, you put in Schmidt and roll with it until he's ready. I'd rather give Schmidt the nod in this series and allow Carlson the chance to heal up for another week(?) and be ready for the 2nd round than force him in against the leafs.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
I don't think I'll ever come back to HF if we lose to the Leafs. Ugh, could you imagine the smugness on these boards? Leafs fans would be the least of our worries.

I'm going to apologize in advance for the jack wagons that make their way over to your board during this series to troll. Trust me, there's a huge portion of our posters that cringe coming to read your board and seeing not one, but two warning to Leaf fans in the title. :shakehead

Good luck guys, if there's a silver lining to to a caps series against the Leafs for me its that the kids can see what a real top team should look like. Said it before the season and it's obviously on hold until this series is over but the Caps are on top of my list of teams I want to see win a cup. ( Just under the Leafs of course :laugh:)

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I'm not saying dress 7D unless there is significant doubt about the ability of Carlson or anyone else to finish the game. Basically I don't want another situation like Alzner in Game 6 last year, where it absolutely would have made sense to scratch a forward to get another defenseman in the lineup. Alzner's groin was being held together by duct tape and players like Wilson, Winnik, Richards, and Chimera were largely ineffective for most of the series. Would have made sense to scratch one of them and insert another defenseman last season. And if that situation arises again (mainly w/r/t Carlson since he's dinged up), I'd rather dress Schmidt just in case. If Connolly, for instance, were scratched I'd feel comfortable double-shifting Ovechkin, Johansson, and Winnik in Connolly's place on the third line.

I see what you're getting at here, but it's the kind of thinking I hope our coaching staff avoids. "This line should play more, that guy should start over that one situationally, maybe 11F/7D, let's proactively tinker in anticipation of what the Leafs might do," and so on.

I don't think we should change a thing. If there's a question about Carlson being up to it, he should sit, someone else should take his place, and we should proceed as usual. Distribution of minutes should remain the same, we should be no more reactive to our opponents than usual, and should generally just not vary from the plan.

Don't fix what isn't broken.

I'm comfortable with our depth on both ends. I think we can weather injuries better than most teams. I don't want to see us trying to overcompensate for every perceived mistake or momentary weakness. I don't want Barry overreacting prematurely and shortening the bench or overhauling systems. I want to see our guys being given every chance to overcome and adapt.

We've assembed our best team ever. It's on them now. Stick with the gameplan and let them do their thing.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Love this match-up. It was the one i preferred.

First of all. Capitals are going to get the adversity. More than they did in the regular season. Popularity wise this is a huge match-up for them. Good way to get ready for the Round 2 (should they make it).

Secondly, this match-up fits them well. Their strengths match up well against the Leafs, as they can play that run-and-gun game when depended but their team defense can suck the life out of the Leafs young offense, which is certainly their strength. Offense is obviously one of the Capitals strengths too, so facing a Leafs team that is so young that they are bit adventurous in their own zone at times.

To that same point, hopefully it's a high-scoring series for the Capitals to get their confidence in the Playoffs going. Last year some of their top guys ran pretty cold late in the season and it continued for most of the Round 1. Need things to be different and the depth scoring to stay the same as it's been this whole season so far.

And last, i'll much rather watch a young, explosive offensive team like the Leafs than a trapping team like the Senators for example. Not to mention that the atmosphere is going to great in all of the games.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm going to apologize in advance for the jack wagons that make their way over to your board during this series to troll. Trust me, there's a huge portion of our posters that cringe coming to read your board and seeing not one, but two warning to Leaf fans in the title. :shakehead

Good luck guys, if there's a silver lining to to a caps series against the Leafs for me its that the kids can see what a real top team should look like. Said it before the season and it's obviously on hold until this series is over but the Caps are on top of my list of teams I want to see win a cup. ( Just under the Leafs of course :laugh:)

Leafs fans have been pretty harmless so far. I think most of the venom from Leaf Nation is directed towards other fanbases... it just so happens that these interactions happen to occur in every thread about the Caps. It's always fun to get a Leafs vs some other team pissing contest in the middle of the Caps board. On a similar note, there are a **** ton of Leafs fans on these boards. Guess I never really noticed it before.

I think the series will be fun. Ovie loves playing in Canada. Assuming all goes according to plan, this could be a great first series for the Caps.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Leafs fans have been pretty harmless so far. I think most of the venom from Leaf Nation is directed towards other fanbases... it just so happens that these interactions happen to occur in every thread about the Caps. It's always fun to get a Leafs vs some other team pissing contest in the middle of the Caps board. On a similar note, there are a **** ton of Leafs fans on these boards. Guess I never really noticed it before.

I think the series will be fun. Ovie loves playing in Canada. Assuming all goes according to plan, this could be a great first series for the Caps.

The vast majority of fans are pretty cool people. The problem is the not so cool ones are usually the loudest. Anybody else remember the TO fan who claimed his vast knowledge of hockey convinced him that Alexander Steen would end up being a better player than Alexander Ovechkin? Those I wish to avoid.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Why would he care? He's playing for the Marlies with his buddy Eric Fehr.

He came out and said he wanted to either be a part of the Leafs' playoff run or get traded at the TDL so he could chase a Cup some where else. Lamoriello responded by placing him on waivers and showing him that no one wanted him. Now he gets to watch the team he made a career with and the team who only traded for him in order to collect assets in exchange for taking him face off in one of the most popular first round match ups while he finishes his playing days in the AHL. I'm pretty sure he cares.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
The cynic in me thinks Carlson has peaked, will be meh during the playoffs, and that we should trade him in the offseason. The optimist in me says Carlson is going to play in these playoffs like he wants to be paid as the team's #1 and is going to be a beast. The truth is probably some where in between.

Carlson is just entering his prime as a defenseman. He pushed 40 points this year despite (probably) playing wounded most of it. I expect we hear from him in the playoffs.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Because they have Marchand and other dirty players. We might not have come out of tha series unscathed.

And Toronto has Matt Martin, Nazem Kadri, Brian Boyle, Connor Carrick, and Leo Komarov. And in general teams play with more of an edge in the playoffs. Once again, look at the dirty plays that guys like Brayden Schenn and Kris Letang were making in the playoffs last year. There's plenty of cheap shot risk against Toronto.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
And Toronto has Matt Martin, Nazem Kadri, Brian Boyle, Connor Carrick, and Leo Komarov. And in general teams play with more of an edge in the playoffs. Once again, look at the dirty plays that guys like Brayden Schenn and Kris Letang were making in the playoffs last year. There's plenty of cheap shot risk against Toronto.

Yeah, each series is going to have some of that nastiness, even from players you don't expect. Orlov was lucky to escape life-changing injury after that hit from Pierre-Edouard Bellemare. I imagine Boyle will be in the thick of things, and you know Wilson and Martin are going to find each other at home point. I think Ovechkin is going to put Kadri in his place pretty early on.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I hope you guys embarrass the stinking leafs & bury them & while your at it somebody beat the crap out of Kadri. Good luck. :handclap:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Over Under on the number of games it takes for Don Cherry to call out the good Canadian boy for hitting too hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad