Series Discussion: ECQF: Washington Capitals vs. Toronto Maple Leafs. (LEAF FANS READ OP & POST 67)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think its bad luck at all. Babcock knows he cannot beat us, the vaunted Grant Jennings winner and a Vezina candidate on a presidents team, by coming down the wing and shooting slappers.

logo.jpg

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
But the fact that we can point so clearly to these examples proves my point! Every year we invent new ways to lose in a Shakespearean-tragicomical manner. Last night was no different, except we survived the hockey gods' best attempt to drive another stake in our collective heart. As THN wrote:

Right. The fact that we defied the hockey gods is a good sign. These are games that usually (like 100% of the time) don't go our way.

RH:

Perhaps Babcock is making them take Geometry classes?

If "blindly chucking puck to net and having guys go there" was so effective then there would be little need for guys like Crosby and Ovechkin.

Also I read somewhere that prior to last night the Caps were 4-15 in there last 19 road playoff games that were decided by 1 goal. Brutal unlucky.

That's what makes last night somewhat encouraging...that we got horrific luck yet still won and never wilted or pouted (no "here we go again" vibe)

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
So much of Holtby's edge over other goal-tenders is his mental game - his ability to be that half-second ahead of where the puck is going to be. And that asset just hasn't been very important here. It's gotta rattle him a bit. Maybe he's defaulting to his early career tendency of making the net bigger than it is, and over-playing and over-anticipating - instead of just making himself bigger. I think this where Mitch Korn really has to earn his money - right now.

Props to Holtby for recognizing he's not right.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Perhaps Babcock is making them take Geometry classes?

They are not blindly chucking. Favor the side of the guy towards the goal.

Look at the G3PPOTGWG, that was a set play and I think is their set go to play at ES, it just ain't as pretty. It's primarily seen on point play. Once they are down low, the angle isn't there. It's not the only way they are trying to score, but the traditional hockey shots aren't being employed much at all.

Tampa series, that was trash thrown from the corner etc., very different IMO. That was dumb luck from negative angles.

The league needs Ovi and S1d because they can score by themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->