Series Discussion: ECQF: Washington Capitals vs. Toronto Maple Leafs. (LEAF FANS READ OP & POST 67)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuzy92

Mar 5, 2017
The Leafs are good up and coming team but they are just flat out overmatched in this series.. The Caps will just wear on that defense with their cycle and force tons of turnovers.. I think the Leafs will steal a game at home but lose in 5.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Nah I like the idea of alternating Holtby/Grubbs in the first round. Keeps Holtby rested and sharp for the second round, and it will also throw Toronto off their rythym.

That is never going to happen. Holtby plays his best playing every other night. Grubauer will not start a playoff game as long as there is a healthy Holtby

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
1) Mentally, it gives Toronto a chip on their shoulder if their opponent isnt 'respecting' them by putting in their backup in the expectation we will win.

2) Expecting to win is so flawed and dangerous.

3) Holtby is the leading sv% playoff goalie of all time.

4) Never give your opponent an inch. Never.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I think its a real good sign that both Ovi and Nicky played in game 82.
Feels like Nicky has always carried something into the playoffs in the past.

He can impose himself on a young Leafs centre and build from there..

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
That is never going to happen. Holtby plays his best playing every other night. Grubauer will not start a playoff game as long as there is a healthy Holtby

Then Holtby will burn out by the end of the 2nd round like he does every year

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
Holtby has not been the reason we can't get beyond the 2nd round

Yes sometimes he lets in a derp goal but he recovers after that

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
No ride him into the ground so he burns out by the end of round 2 like every year so far, that's the goal this year too right?

Lol at the notion that Holtby burns out at the end of round 2. His teammates in front of him let him down, but sure, let's blame him. Remember Stepan's goal in OT of game 7? Fehr loses the draw and Burakovsky missed his assignment. Remember Bonino's goal in OT of game 6? Chorney, Niskanen and Backstrom scramble to get a piece of the puck on Kessel's pass to Hagelin, and Bonino calmly puts in the rebound.

Hardly Holtby's fault we lost these series.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2215391

Some predictions by McCurdy. But what does he know (ppl talk he was mostly right last year).

Moar pressure.
I know it's analytics-based but Boston and San Jose are overrated IMO. I'd have to pick Chicago as at least slight favorites and MTL/NYR seems much closer to a toss-up.

His model favored PIT last year but, I mean, if LAK were WC2 they'd probably be favored over Chicago so...

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
plus I've heard Eller is a good playoff pick up as well. I'm not worried this year, I think we will compete quite well.

Eller was always solid in the playoffs. But I feel like he is usually quietly solid.

Does anyone have an idea of what the top PP is going to look like?

Such an interesting dilemma now with all the talent up front plus Shattenkirk & Carlson on the backend.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Eller was always solid in the playoffs. But I feel like he is usually quietly solid.

Does anyone have an idea of what the top PP is going to look like?

Such an interesting dilemma now with all the talent up front plus Shattenkirk & Carlson on the backend.

No dilemma at all

PP1

Johansson-Backstrom-Oshie
Ovechkin-Shattenkirk

PP2

Burakovsky-Kuznetsov-Williams
Niskanen/Carlson-Orlov

Shattenkirk is easily the best at manning the point.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
i did my playoff predictions this morning and **** myself when i realised i had us against the sharks in the final.

the only teams im scared of in a cup final are Dallas and the Sharks.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Sharks aren't going anywhere. They've been mediocre for a while and they can't stop McDavid. If we get to the finals, we'll meet the Hawks or the Oilers IMO.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Rotating our starter in and out IN THE PLAYOFFS who himself and one the greatest goalie coach of all time have admitted plays better with a bigger work load is quite possibly as bad as an idea on this board as I've seen since the notion of trading him to better the team. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I don't need yoga to stay calm, all I need is the ridiculousness of this place to laugh my stress and nervousness away.

TRUST THE SYSTEM :help:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Rotating our starter in and out IN THE PLAYOFFS who himself and one the greatest goalie coach of all time have admitted plays better with a bigger work load is quite possibly as bad as an idea on this board as I've seen since the notion of trading him to better the team. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I don't need yoga to stay calm, all I need is the ridiculousness of this place to laugh my stress and nervousness away.

TRUST THE SYSTEM :help:

Ironic they both come from the same source....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad