Eastside Hockey Manager - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
How many hoops do I have to jump through on Steam to download this thing? This is not a knock on the roster creator, but I cannot figure out how to download this.

I have SUSCRIBED on Steam and the download won't start. How about a button to click on to start the download? This is absurd.

Edit: Well, it appears it is installed, I guess it was painless as possible but it didn't tell me it installed.

KA Olimb

Dec 11, 2015
My general game experience:
The roster updates are fantastic, both the TBL and NHL 36 ones. The game itself maintains the familiar look and feel of the old CM/FM games. I'm just hoping a future release of the game will be able to handle the salary cap and basic roster managing. I'm currently at the start of the second season and I'm looking at six pages of unsigned NHL calibre free agents, teams with a forward depth of 9 centers and 1 RW, rosters with only a handful of AHL callups etc.

canary

Jan 20, 2011
Toronto
I know I'm going back a few pages here....

I've been playing with Baie-Comeau in the Q. Won the past two championships but lost in the Mem Cup semis both years. If anyone has any general CHL tips, especially re: success in the Mem Cup, it would be mucho appreciado.

Anyways, this post is about players from strange countries, as I just had the import draft not too long ago (I also just find the topic interesting).

I drafted this big checking winger from Turkey in the first round of the import draft (#54), who I'm pretty happy about. Wish the work rate and anticipation were a little better but alas:
1AexLTa.png

Here are a few of the other guys who were available with 5 star (for the Q, obviously) potential from Iceland, Hong Kong, and two from the Netherlands:
nFcozcq.png

emQr2P0.png

VkPcYRj.png

FGL1Ykx.png

I was heavily debating taking van Lijden but there was a stud Czech offensive D that I drafted instead. Every import draft I find these guys from weird countries with pretty good potential, and because it's such a crapshoot anyways I think I'm going to start taking these guys. Easier to convince them to come play junior that way. I'm also finding that they become free agents more often than players from traditional markets.

This is a forward I regretted not taking last year from South Africa (got two duds - for now - instead). His physicals are pretty insane for junior, although I wish he were stronger at 6'6":
VdWwUpX.png

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Thanks for the kind words KA - glad you enjoy the game. We all wish and hope for continued improvements on the contract front - I think it is just a very hard process for an AI to handle. But you are definitely right that it's one of the weak points of the simulation.

***New Version NHL36 v2.2 (January 3, 2018)***

It's been a couple weeks so I thought I'd release a new version of all NHL36 flavors. As usual, links on the bottom of the first post of the project page @ TBL:
NHL36 v2.2 Downloads

- Big news this time around is complete and accurate updating of the IIHF divisions for the 2017/18 season for the World Championships (WC, D1A, D1B, D2A, D2B, D3) and the World Juniors (WJC and D1 - the game doesn't go beyond D1A). Read about how I got it to work and how it looks compared to real life here:
Editing the WC and WJC and the In-Game Results

Bottom line...you'll know see the likes of Belarus and Denmark in the WJC and get to see South Korea in action in the World Championships main event, among other nice sights!

- Speaking of South Korea...I cleaned up and updated the national teams for all 16 teams in the main WC division. Now most of the major teams have already been covered in NHL and various major league updates but now the likes of SK, France, Norway, Belarus, etc should be fielding fairly accurate senior teams (using a mix of their 2016-17 WC rosters and results and players the nations have fielded in international events thus far in the 17-18 season). Also updated Great Britain and Japan along with the Asia League and the Elite Ice Hockey League structures although neither of those two leagues are fully tested as playable yet. Read more about South Korea and Japan and that process here:
Updating South Korean and Japanese National Teams and Asian League

Hint: HF wonderkid Aito Iguchi is finally in the game :naughty:

- The usual roster and contract updates for North American and major European leagues. Not a lot of NHL action (the Marchessault extension is in there) but lots of CHL moves and a bunch of KHL moves made in the past couple weeks.

- Some tweaks to younger players based on some of the WJC action we've seen...nothing major, don't want to over-hype a handful of games but some up-ticking of some prospects who have shown well for sure.

Enjoy!

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
@BKarchitect

Hi, im subscribed to a roster on steam the one uploaded by MrGeeky, he credits BKarchitect for updating the rosters, im assuming that's you? :nod:

I just want to let you know Will lockwood and Tryamkin right's should be with the Canucks. :thumbu: thanks in advance.

KA Olimb

Dec 11, 2015
Wish it was an easier way to "help" the AI in making basic roster decisions, especially in the offseason. Maybe a semi-commissioner mode? I know FHM4 has it but I've never like their design.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
vcanuck - that is my old Vegas set, I don't update it and haven't for like 9 months. I only update the NHL36 set and both Lockwood and Tryamkin are Canucks property there. Thanks though!

KA - I find myself at the end of each season going in and manually controlling each team to make sure they make RFA qualifying offers to major RFA's...takes a bit of time but really helps keep things more accurate. But I agree, just having a commish mode would make it way easier.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
My general game experience:
The roster updates are fantastic, both the TBL and NHL 36 ones. The game itself maintains the familiar look and feel of the old CM/FM games. I'm just hoping a future release of the game will be able to handle the salary cap and basic roster managing. I'm currently at the start of the second season and I'm looking at six pages of unsigned NHL calibre free agents, teams with a forward depth of 9 centers and 1 RW, rosters with only a handful of AHL callups etc.

So I had this issue before, and changing that would be going into EHM assistant and bumping up the salary cap a little bit. That’s the only form of editing I’ve done in my games. I think I had mine go from 77 million(?), to about 85 million. And believe me, everyone gets signed and there’s a good cushion of cap space.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I know I'm going back a few pages here....

I've been playing with Baie-Comeau in the Q. Won the past two championships but lost in the Mem Cup semis both years. If anyone has any general CHL tips, especially re: success in the Mem Cup, it would be mucho appreciado.

Anyways, this post is about players from strange countries, as I just had the import draft not too long ago (I also just find the topic interesting).

I drafted this big checking winger from Turkey in the first round of the import draft (#54), who I'm pretty happy about. Wish the work rate and anticipation were a little better but alas:
1AexLTa.png

Here are a few of the other guys who were available with 5 star (for the Q, obviously) potential from Iceland, Hong Kong, and two from the Netherlands:
nFcozcq.png

emQr2P0.png

VkPcYRj.png

FGL1Ykx.png

I was heavily debating taking van Lijden but there was a stud Czech offensive D that I drafted instead. Every import draft I find these guys from weird countries with pretty good potential, and because it's such a crapshoot anyways I think I'm going to start taking these guys. Easier to convince them to come play junior that way. I'm also finding that they become free agents more often than players from traditional markets.

This is a forward I regretted not taking last year from South Africa (got two duds - for now - instead). His physicals are pretty insane for junior, although I wish he were stronger at 6'6":
VdWwUpX.png

Awesome finds! The 6’6 South African made me laugh, I’ve never seen a big man that fast! What DB were you using? I remember having a player come from Togo.. but unsure what database I had downloaded it from.

Now when does ‘regen/newgen’ start appearing? I know in FM, when your youth intake is in March, that’s like the first start of the whole regen process.

KA Olimb

Dec 11, 2015
So I had this issue before, and changing that would be going into EHM assistant and bumping up the salary cap a little bit. That’s the only form of editing I’ve done in my games. I think I had mine go from 77 million(?), to about 85 million. And believe me, everyone gets signed and there’s a good cushion of cap space.

I've thought about it, but actually tried it out now and it helped alot. Good tip!

Matt UK

Mar 31, 2012
Wales, UK
Just after some advice on playing outside of the NHL, can someone shed some light on any of these questions if you have played in AHL, ECHL or Canadian juniors?

If in AHL you can't really do anything until all the players have been sent down after the NHL training camp, right? Also, is it me or is it impossible to send players down to the ECHL??

If I takeover a team in the Canadian juniors, how do I know what leagues I need to scout, draft and recruit from?

Same question but for ECHL?

I want to start with a lower team and work my way up into the NHL.

Any answers would be most appreciated!

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
So I am in my second season with Vegas and was about to get fired when I got things rolling and went 9-0-1 over the next 10 games. The board is happy with me yet when I lose a game I am immediately fired. Is this some kind of bug or whats the reason behind me getting fired? Budget is also fine so this can't be the reason

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Just after some advice on playing outside of the NHL, can someone shed some light on any of these questions if you have played in AHL, ECHL or Canadian juniors?

If in AHL you can't really do anything until all the players have been sent down after the NHL training camp, right? Also, is it me or is it impossible to send players down to the ECHL??

If I takeover a team in the Canadian juniors, how do I know what leagues I need to scout, draft and recruit from?

Same question but for ECHL?

I want to start with a lower team and work my way up into the NHL.

Any answers would be most appreciated!
I can't say much for Canadian Juniors as I've never played...but I just did a game where I worked my way ECHL -> AHL -> NHL

At the ECHL level, you'll want to scout overagers from Canadian Juniors (OHL, WHL, QMJHL) and the various NCAA leagues (though many of them you'll have to wait for the summer before they'll be interested at all, and they generally ask more money). Other minor leagues like the CIS and SPHL can yield some decent more veteran players, and sometimes you can get an AHL castoff to sign.

In the AHL, you won't really know what you have until after NHL finishes training camp and sends all their players down...which is unfortunately too late often to sign guys. I usually go for the approach of signing at least 1 player at each position as depth, a few younger guys who you could send down to the ECHL (or loan), and maybe target areas where the NHL teams prospects are weakest. If you're trying to send guys down and can't because their roster is full, you can always "cheat" the system by offering the ECHL players a tryout, then send your guys down, then cut the players from tryout...ECHL team will have to cut guys then.

Matt UK

Mar 31, 2012
Wales, UK
Thanks for posting that, it's really useful and I'm looking forward to starting out at a lower level!

One thing I feel the game/community needs is a bit more depth explanation on the format and recruitment structure below the NHL. Unless you have a real life knowledge, it's pretty difficult to figure out where you should be scouting/drafting etc.

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England
Thanks for posting that, it's really useful and I'm looking forward to starting out at a lower level!

One thing I feel the game/community needs is a bit more depth explanation on the format and recruitment structure below the NHL. Unless you have a real life knowledge, it's pretty difficult to figure out where you should be scouting/drafting etc.

I remember EHM 2004 came with this neat wallchart which set out a summary of each playable league. It'd be great to have something like this again!

Reactions: Matt UK

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Calgary drafted this unranked scrub in the 3rd round in 2019. Triple overager, but he was created by the game at start-up so he's technically only been up for one draft.

aNmv2X5.png

He's really small (actually 5'7" in game -- not sure why the editor lists him at 5'6") and he's 20 now at the start of the season, but that's Crosby-level potential. Already NHL ready, too. Not quite a Crosby level prospect as his mentals are for the most part mediocre or outright bad (creativity is at 4), but I'm kinda pissed at myself for not doing my due diligence on him. Strong off/def role values as well.

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England
If anyone has a copy please can you share it here?! That would be great.

I will try to take a photo of it. I can't remember if there is a PDF of it - I'll check.

Calgary drafted this unranked scrub in the 3rd round in 2019. Triple overager, but he was created by the game at start-up so he's technically only been up for one draft.

aNmv2X5.png
He's really small (actually 5'7" in game -- not sure why the editor lists him at 5'6") and he's 20 now at the start of the season, but that's Crosby-level potential. Already NHL ready, too. Not quite a Crosby level prospect as his mentals are for the most part mediocre or outright bad (creativity is at 4), but I'm kinda pissed at myself for not doing my due diligence on him. Strong off/def role values as well.

Regarding the player heights: The database stores these in centimetres. The Editor and game then convert these to feet and inches. The difference will be as a result of rounding when converting from centimetres.

Reactions: Elf
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

aNmv2X5.png

Just stating the obvious, did you scout Finland at all? Besides that, perhaps the mentals would develop over time? I’ve seen some players and their mental stats go up as time went on. But man, that’s crazy potential!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad