Eastside Hockey Manager - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I think I can echo what Alessandro was saying in the last thread. While it is great and beneficial that many people love the game and play the game for hours and hours, a lot of us complain as to what should be done (player development-wise).

I feel like it would be a lot more helpful if some more people from this site could help with the database. The more people helping the better.

As for the goalie issue, I've said it countless times.. I turn on the Extra Players and Extra Junior Players setting and found more star players being created and developed over time.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
Is there a way for me to force players like Clarkson and Franzen into retirement through the database editor or otherwise?

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
Haven't played EHM in a while (last played 2005/2007 4-5 years ago), but I used to love burning time on that game. Saw that I could play the new version on my MacBook with "PlayOnMac" and that there were frequent updates (TBL) too. It's 22$ on Steam and I was thinking of buying it over the weekend.

Is it worth it? Will I be able to play on my Mac computer? Is the "gameplay" similar to that of EHM 2005/2007?

Thanks!

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I've been thinking...

About the work all these researchers put in for free and how unrewarding the job feels... Why not sell the yearly roster upgrades instead of giving them out for free?

Put something into place where the initial roster update at the beginning of the season costs something like 5$ on Steam, and the additional, smaller updates throughout the season are considered free add-ons to the paid, big early season update. Split the money between the researchers. An expansion pack, if you will. Obviously, being a paid update would probably come hand-in-hand with increased expectations and deadlines, but if there's money as an incentive, there's likely going to be more researchers willing to do the work.

Because I don't believe it's for the good of the game to have the 16-17 rosters come out in mid December or whatever it was this year... And I don't believe it's for the good of the long term growth of the game to expect people to put in tons of hours of their own time for free to keep the game up to date. If someone doesn't get the paid update every season, for example, version 1.2 of the game, he cannot get the subsequent free updates, for example, 1.2.1. But someone could skip the 1.2 version entirely and simply get the 1.3 version the year after if he doesn't feel like paying for the update every year, for example.

Because a new database essentially means a new game coming out every year. Except right now it's a free game every year, and being free, the people putting in the work don't get a whole lot out of it. Eventually, no one will do the research. So to keep the game going, having paid yearly updates might be the only way.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
Yeah, the last page and a half of the previous thread are, in part, about that idea...it's just funny because of how recent it was discussed, I figured you saw it...but maybe the thread got locked (1000+ posts) before you started in this one...

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Yeah, the last page and a half of the previous thread are, in part, about that idea...it's just funny because of how recent it was discussed, I figured you saw it...but maybe the thread got locked (1000+ posts) before you started in this one...

Didn't read up the last couple of pages of the previous thread.

Apologizes if this point has already been addressed!

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
In the unlikely event that that were to ever get off the ground, you would still be free to decide to work for free, work towards your own product or not participate at all...that's the beauty of a free market system. You would not be coerced to do anything against your will... :)

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Probably asked before but how do you improve a player's mental attributes?

Sucks when you draft a physical prodigy with skills and he has mental attributes that make him worthless.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Like you can sell anything related to, say, the "New York Rangers" without a license...

Yup, pretty sure the NHL and the NHLPA would be taking EHM down if the roster were making money.

Licensing is the main reason why they have fake names in the official version.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
We're not talking thousands of people making millions of dollars...no one cares about that type of stuff unless it is costing the source money...illegal streaming, counterfeit jerseys, etc.

We're not such an omniscient, authoritarian state that anyone - even if it was directly brought to their attention - would care one iota about this...the system just doesn't work like that...

We would rank below t-shirt vendors you see on street corners and in the parking lots at games...not even a blip on the radar... :laugh:

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
We're not talking thousands of people making millions of dollars...no one cares about that type of stuff unless it is costing the source money...illegal streaming, counterfeit jerseys, etc.

We're not such an omniscient, authoritarian state that anyone - even if it was directly brought to their attention - would care one iota about this...the system just doesn't work like that...

We would rank below t-shirt vendors you see on street corners and in the parking lots at games...not even a blip on the radar... :laugh:

Trust me, SI Games would stop us much before the NHL/NHLPA. And they would be right.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
Hmph, perhaps. I'd think they would be ok if they just didn't endorse it and keeps the replay-ability of their game strong, so it behooves them in that regard but I'll let it die there and concede the point if necessary. It's not a hill I have any interest in dying on.

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England
Licence questions aside, I would never want my site to be involved with money. My ethos for the site has always been a free/collaborative sort of thing. But I do get where you're coming from.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015

Not a big deal or issue (at all! HaHa), but, just curious.....do such t-shirt sales really happen? I live really close to the Oilers old rink and have been within a block way over a hundred times on game nights, probably hundreds of times actually (since the Gretzky days), and have been in the area of the new one on game night a few times too, and I've never seen a t-shirt vendor selling illegal t-shirts before in 30 years

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
I live in Philadelphia, there's a guy a block from my work on weekdays that sells and (announces quite loudly too) manufactures his own t-shirts...Sixers, Flyers, Eagles...featuring logos, players, whatever...hats, shirts, scarves, the whole bit...and Philadelphia isn't exactly light on police...

And then when you go to a Flyers or Eagles game, you'd have to try to avoid them...they're out at tailgates, many post up in the walk ways leaving the arena, etc.

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
Ovechkin has passed Gretzky for #1 all time in goals in my current save. He has 923 career goals right now and he will definitely break 1000 before his career is over.

I've never in hundreds of years of EHM had a guy score as many goals as Ovi in this save.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Ovechkin has passed Gretzky for #1 all time in goals in my current save. He has 923 career goals right now and he will definitely break 1000 before his career is over.

I've never in hundreds of years of EHM had a guy score as many goals as Ovi in this save.

With Ovie it isnt tough to break such record. For me it is better to sim the game and wait for the future for such shooting star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad