Eastside Hockey Manager - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Which 'Past Experince' you set when you created the Manager?

I was finally offered a job as the GM of Team Georgia at the end of April. After that I got offers from South Africa and North Korea. Problem is they only play one tournament in a year which is March-April so I'd have to wait another year.

I did hire myself a coaching staff including Therrien, Gretzky, etc. Now the problem is that TPS (Finnish Liiga team) has made an offer to Gretzky and when I press respond I get an error message saying 'APPROACH_TO_BUY_SCREEN::created() : human club is nullptr'

I guess I'm just gonna create a new GM with a better experience...

I must have used the default as I didn't touch the "Past Experience" option.
Please note that I didn't wait until a job was offered to me - instead, I watched the job information tab in your GM option almost every day. Nothing came up at first (except Japan that seemed to be a glitch because I couldn't apply) but eventually it started showing positions that were at risk. When the Usti GM got fired it was listed as available and allowed me to apply. I spent the rest of the season with them for 2017-18. Had a 16-12-3 record but missed the playoffs. Made some solid acquisitions and probably should have stayed longer to see if I could get them promoted to the Czech Liga.

However, more jobs became available throughout the year and increased in the Spring months. A lot of options became available on July 1st. I applied to about 5 NHL posts, 5 AHL posts, and a few CHL options in the summer. The Erie Otters of the OHL ended up hiring me so I'm currently playing with them for 2018-19. Off to a rough start (8-9-2) but my young guys are getting lots of ice time and we should be competitive next season. My old team, Usti is currently 2nd overall (13-7-0) in the Czech WSM Liga.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I haven't encountered this issue, but what I've noticed that happens more in EHM1 than in EHM07, is that your staff don't stay with you as long. I'll try to get my scouts to sign long term, but they will only sign like a 2 year deal and then leave. In EHM07, you could have the same staff members until they retired. This one it's a bit tougher (it doesn't matter to me though)

I have 'extra staff' enabled, but I just pick up anyone else

I had scouts for very very long years. Till the issue with staff occurred. Then the other teams from others leagues started to offer them position GM/Head coach and suddenly after summer i was empty. Had to search again.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
VERSION NHL36 v2.3 (January 11, 2018)

Post-CHL Trade Deadline Update. As usual, links on the bottom of the first post of the project page @ TBL:
Project NHL 36 - a 2017-18 DB with 36 Team NHL/AHL/ECHL!

- The biggest news with this update is that each NHL36 flavor now comes with a revised expansion draft file. I re-did the expansion draft with the same rules applied to the first time I did it (see earlier pages in the TBL thread) but with revised ratings and protections from current NHL teams due to what has transpired so far this year, so each expansion team now has a different roster, Tried to skew a little bit younger to fill depth spots as well. Again, you aren't going to start with a great team by any means if you apply the expansion draft file to your database - but it will at least give you a base roster so you don't have to start totally from scratch.

- Usual transaction and contract updates to major leagues. Biggest movement this time around was a lot of CHL action due to the CHL trade deadline. Also has the Duclair trade and Copp extension, among other items.

- A few contract type items I wanted to take the time to point out that have always been a part of the DB but deserve some explanation:

1) Future Euro transfers to the NHL. For some reason there is a bug in EHM where even when you have the rights to certain Euro players listed for NHL teams, those rights don't show up in the game. So rather than Vegas simply not having Nikita Gusev in the organizational depth or Chicago not having Maxim Shalunov - I simply have a few high-profile Euros like that automatically coming over to their respective NHL teams on entry-level deals when their KHL/Euro contracts end.

2) There are also a lot of built-in NCAA to NHL transfers...the reason for this is that a lot if not most top NCAA players will automatically be signed by computer NHL GM's at the start of the 17-18 season even though in real life, they are playing in the NCAA. Take Cale Makar on UMass (COL) or Jake Evans on Notre Dame (MTL) for example. I wanted to ensure they play their 17-18 season in college, both to add realism to the NCAA sim and to make future NHL rookie classes more accurate.

3) Also in the NCAA - transfers between D1 programs who are sitting out a transfer year are automatically placed on their new teams but are given a 12-month holiday and have their NCAA eligibility extended by a year...so they can't be selected in line-ups for 17-18 but will be eligible thereafter.

4) I have put several high-profile young European prospects who are currently under NHL contract but in the AHL on AHL contracts with a future transfer to their NHL teams for the remaining years of their contracts. This may seem odd at first but here me out. Guys like Timothy Liljegren, Filip Chytil, Janne Luokkonen, Klim Kostin, Alex Nylander - they are under NHL contract and some even had early season NHL auditions this year but it is very clear their respective NHL teams want them to develop the year in the AHL. This ensures the CPU GM's keep them in the AHL and ensure that they are eligible for their real rookie seasons (and Calder Trophy) as part of the 18-19 NHL rookie class. It also means they get picked by their national teams for the WJC U-20 tournament - whereas previously, the CPU GM's would often have them in the NHL playing 4th line minutes all year - exhausting their rookie eligibility and not releasing them for the WJC.

These are all attempts to "bend the rules" of EHM a bit in order to produce a more accurate sim.

EDIT: There was an error in both the Great North and Wild West sets that were causing them not load upon starting a new game - they should both be fixed now.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
I must have used the default as I didn't touch the "Past Experience" option.
Please note that I didn't wait until a job was offered to me - instead, I watched the job information tab in your GM option almost every day. Nothing came up at first (except Japan that seemed to be a glitch because I couldn't apply) but eventually it started showing positions that were at risk. When the Usti GM got fired it was listed as available and allowed me to apply. I spent the rest of the season with them for 2017-18. Had a 16-12-3 record but missed the playoffs. Made some solid acquisitions and probably should have stayed longer to see if I could get them promoted to the Czech Liga.

However, more jobs became available throughout the year and increased in the Spring months. A lot of options became available on July 1st. I applied to about 5 NHL posts, 5 AHL posts, and a few CHL options in the summer. The Erie Otters of the OHL ended up hiring me so I'm currently playing with them for 2018-19. Off to a rough start (8-9-2) but my young guys are getting lots of ice time and we should be competitive next season. My old team, Usti is currently 2nd overall (13-7-0) in the Czech WSM Liga.

No I have applied for every job that became available. But all the teams opted to go with some other GM. Even the teams from Netherlands, Japan, Slovenia juniors etc. Now I decided to wait no more as one ECHL team fired their GM, I just added a new GM to that team.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Sorry for being super late to this thread, but I wasn't impressed with EHM Early Access so didn't adopt... went back to EHM 2007, which I somehow had working on Windows 10 without issue.

Now a new laptop, same install, same version, everything, but EHM 2007 won't run under version 3.04 for some reason.

How is the new EHM? Has it been improved since Early Access?

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Sorry for being super late to this thread, but I wasn't impressed with EHM Early Access so didn't adopt... went back to EHM 2007, which I somehow had working on Windows 10 without issue.

Now a new laptop, same install, same version, everything, but EHM 2007 won't run under version 3.04 for some reason.

Yes, it did ! Soon 1.5 update should come out.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
No I have applied for every job that became available. But all the teams opted to go with some other GM. Even the teams from Netherlands, Japan, Slovenia juniors etc. Now I decided to wait no more as one ECHL team fired their GM, I just added a new GM to that team.

It's working for me so we must have something different in our settings. Did you enable many leagues? I did enhanced for all US, Switzerland, Canada, Czech, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, and Finland.

Also, I'm playing version 1.4.1.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

I remember early access had a ton of high scoring games, and trading was broken. At least now it’s toned down a lot and trading is actually difficult (realistic) now

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Started a new game with the Rangers with the TBL roster.

Went to the ECF on first year. Lose Rick Nash to FA.

Expect to have a rougher year with this line-up:

Kreider - Zibanejad - Zuccarello
Vesey - Hayes - Buchnevich
Miller - Haula (wvr in 2018-2019) - Fast
Tanev (trade 17-18) - Glendening (Trade 17-18) - Ferland (trade 17-18)
McCann (trade for rights), Dowling (wvr in 2017-2018)

McDonagh -Shattenkirk
Skej - DeAngelo
Bereglazov - Stecher (wvr in 2018-2019)
Clendening (trade for rights)

Lundqvist
Pavelec

And then Vesey goes crazy:
17-18 73 games 13 goals 22 points
18-19 15 games 13 goals 20 points so far :laugh:

4 players ppg or better. Pretty much everyone pacing for better than last year. Rick Nash was a cancer! :laugh:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Update...NHL36 v2.4

Quick update...there won't be a big amount of data changes in this update from v2.3 which was just a couple days ago but I have tinkered with some team names/info plus re-named some divisions (for example the NHL Northeast is now back to the NHL Atlantic). The reason for some of this is I am trying to streamline some league structure data so I can release "NHL32" with just Seattle in the near future (I think archi's next editor update will help in my quest to maintain one database which I can simultaneously use for all the NHL36 universes plus NHL32).

Downloads First Page of EHM Thread as usual:

Updated logos and ice backgrounds for the graphics changes below (Seattle, KC) can be found on that page as well or directly here:

Dropbox - NHL36 Logo Updates.zip
Dropbox - NHL36 Background Updates.zip

In terms of data, Cogliano's extension is in there, Jack Johnson will likely now request a trade or be traded and Jagr also has been knocked down the Flames depth chart so that he'll likely want out of Calgary. Plus minor updates from around major leagues, colleges, juniors, etc.

- Seattle Kraken are now the Seattle Totems (in all NHL36 databases and will be in NHL32 as well).

I love the Kraken nickname - it's great fun, but as Seattle draws nearer to becoming a reality, I don't think we will see Kraken high on the list of possibilities. I've been lurking on some Seattle forums and the local favorites seem to be Steelheads, Thunderbirds, Totems and Metropolitans. I didn't find a Steelhead logo I liked well enough. Metropolitans, although historic, is rather bland. Thunderbirds seems to be the local favorite but I didn't want to have to rebrand the WHL Seattl Thunderbirds in this database. That left Totems, which has history and a sweet retro logo which I touched up a bit.
Colors are emerald green, forest green and a bluish-gray accent.

fd7d7df3024c6c7553c07052222fc103.jpg

- Color switch for Saskatchewan.

Because I switched Seattle back to a green primary, I flipped the colors for the Saskatchewan Whitetails so that I didn't have Seattle, Saskatchewan and Portland all being potentiall added as green teams. So now the "Prairie Gold" is the primary color for the Whitetails - and I think it actually fits better and gives them a more unique look. Credit to Ukko who came up with a neat jersey for them from which I took the idea of the gold primary!

24f3d3ef8458d5e47ac524d9fb12da9b.jpg

- Scouts Makeover.
For the Kansas City Scouts, gone is the retro-roundel logo and in it's place, thanks to FinnsUp1214 @ sportslogos.net, it a totally new and custom logo which plays less of Native American imagery (a bit touchy these days) and centers more on the horse aspect while maintaining the Native American feel. The colors are also brightened and less drab.

426fe6e52ff288764ac8bc44d0cdc156.jpg

- Vegas Color Tweak
Ended up tweaking the Vegas Steel and Vegas Gold to more directly match their actual home uniforms. Vegas is kind of weird because their offical gray color is almost a dark green-gray while their official gold is rather drab but on the ice, their look is much more of a traditional gray and the gold fabric in their uniforms really reflects lights - and I want their team look in EHM to look like what they do on the ice.

8300f59faa70cf4f846728ee93fd4ce0.png

r272442_600x400_3-2.jpg

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
@BKarchitect can you give me a quick rundown on how to work your new DB. I've seen posts about how you can make expansion draft real for the NHL36 DB, but I'm not sure how to do it? Please?

I can't seem to find newest NHL 36 file either. Can you give me just a breakdown of how to download your latest file plus how to do expansion draft, but adding logos, etc for dummies?

I had to re-install Steam so I lost my last save file. I am want to make this new franchise, but I don't know how to work you expansion thing.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Sure, let's see if I can't just make this a tutorial I can re-post if need be in the future:

NHL36 Installation Tutorial

- NHL36 is not officially available on Steam, only TBL so if you see something on Steam, it's not officially from me.
- All the downloads described below and all updates can be found towards the bottom of the first post of the official NHL36 thread @ TBL.

Installing the Database

- NHL36 comes in four "flavors" (which you can read about at the TBL thread), all of which are stand-alone databases.
- Each download is a ZIP file. The ZIP file contains three individual files: the DB file and the Extra Config file are needed to play the database and the Expansion Draft.xlsx is a file you can use to jump-start the expansion NHL teams with the results from a fantasy expansion draft. You don't need to use it to play NHL36, just keep in mind the expansion teams will start with no players if you don't.
- The ZIP files should be unzipped into the database directory in EHM. It will automatically unzip into a folder named for that particular database.
- Verify the file locations as shown below (as an example, for the NHL36 Original v2.4 DB)...you see the three files in a folder named for that DB in the file address listed. Make sure you don't accidently put the files directly into the database folder or have any extra sub-folders!
8daed1f2e6d2147553aad1c4d6ebda50.png

The Databases Files (these are v2.4 - go to the TBL link at the top of this post for future updates)
Dropbox - NHL36 - Original v2.4.zip
Dropbox - NHL36 - Great North v2.4.zip
Dropbox - NHL36 - City Lights v2.4.zip
Dropbox - NHL36 - Wild West v2.4.zip

Installing the Graphics

- There are both logos and screen backgrounds available for NHL36. Because I have made adjustments since starting the project, there is a main file and an update file for each. Override any files when you unzip the update.
- ***CAUTION*** These logos will override any logos you have right now so if you need to, backup your current logos directory. You have been warned. They are standard style logos in Huge, Medium and Small sizes.
- The logos include everything you need for the NHL, AHL and ECHL structures in NHL36 to look complete on all screens and also include logos updates around major leagues of the world for the 17-18 season.
- Backgrounds are for the NHL and NHL teams (including all expansion teams) only.
- Unzip the logos files to the logos directory...NOTE, the ZIP file is already setup to unzip to the proper folders, if you unzip to the wrong place the logos will not show up.
5dd19bae0a669c87d694400863fd6041.png

- Same deal with the backgrounds, unzip to the background directory.
271064668daf4f1412b831031bdd0d1a.png

The Logo & Backgrounds Files (these are v2.4 - go to the TBL link at the top of this post for future updates)
Dropbox - logos.zip
Dropbox - NHL36 Logo Updates.zip
Dropbox - backgrounds.zip
Dropbox - NHL36 Background Updates.zip

Running the Expansion Draft

- The expansion draft file automatically comes with each database ZIP file you download as I described above but it needs to be applied manually.
- To do this, you need archibalduk's EHM Editor found here: Eastside Hockey Manager Editor (v0.2.4) [ALPHA]

Steps

1) Make sure you donwloaded an NHL36 database and have it in the correct location as described in the "Installing the Database" section at the top.
2) Open the EHM Editor, click Open Database (NOT saved game) and locate your NHL36 installation folder and selecte the DB file in that folder:
d89c073b488ffadf0dce8c5381ed10bd.png

3) Go to Tools --> Import Spreadsheet. Make sure the option for XLSX format is selected and then hit the big green "Import Spreadsheet" button. Go to the same folder your DB is in and select the Expansion Draft XLSX file.
485f0fc009c966e8c5422fe6bcf8a881.png

4) A correct install will give you the image below:
618a7311ecfcbe8570e18dc69de2fb61.png

5) Go back to the File tab, hit Save, start up EHM and select the database like usual and the expansion teams will be stocked with 30 players each

- A couple notes: you can go to the TBL thread and read about how I ran the exapnsion draft...it's meant to give you enough as an expansion team to get started but it's certainly not going to make you a competative NHL team right away - the team building is still up to you.
- The Expansion Draft XLSX file is a standard Excel spreadsheet...when you open it, it's pretty self-explanatory and you can easily create your own Expansion Draft results by editing this file with different players.

Last edited:

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
VERSION NHL36 v2.3 (January 11, 2018)

Post-CHL Trade Deadline Update. As usual, links on the bottom of the first post of the project page @ TBL:

- The biggest news with this update is that each NHL36 flavor now comes with a revised expansion draft file. I re-did the expansion draft with the same rules applied to the first time I did it (see earlier pages in the TBL thread) but with revised ratings and protections from current NHL teams due to what has transpired so far this year, so each expansion team now has a different roster, Tried to skew a little bit younger to fill depth spots as well. Again, you aren't going to start with a great team by any means if you apply the expansion draft file to your database - but it will at least give you a base roster so you don't have to start totally from scratch.

- Usual transaction and contract updates to major leagues. Biggest movement this time around was a lot of CHL action due to the CHL trade deadline. Also has the Duclair trade and Copp extension, among other items.

- A few contract type items I wanted to take the time to point out that have always been a part of the DB but deserve some explanation:

1) Future Euro transfers to the NHL. For some reason there is a bug in EHM where even when you have the rights to certain Euro players listed for NHL teams, those rights don't show up in the game. So rather than Vegas simply not having Nikita Gusev in the organizational depth or Chicago not having Maxim Shalunov - I simply have a few high-profile Euros like that automatically coming over to their respective NHL teams on entry-level deals when their KHL/Euro contracts end.

2) There are also a lot of built-in NCAA to NHL transfers...the reason for this is that a lot if not most top NCAA players will automatically be signed by computer NHL GM's at the start of the 17-18 season even though in real life, they are playing in the NCAA. Take Cale Makar on UMass (COL) or Jake Evans on Notre Dame (MTL) for example. I wanted to ensure they play their 17-18 season in college, both to add realism to the NCAA sim and to make future NHL rookie classes more accurate.

3) Also in the NCAA - transfers between D1 programs who are sitting out a transfer year are automatically placed on their new teams but are given a 12-month holiday and have their NCAA eligibility extended by a year...so they can't be selected in line-ups for 17-18 but will be eligible thereafter.

4) I have put several high-profile young European prospects who are currently under NHL contract but in the AHL on AHL contracts with a future transfer to their NHL teams for the remaining years of their contracts. This may seem odd at first but here me out. Guys like Timothy Liljegren, Filip Chytil, Janne Luokkonen, Klim Kostin, Alex Nylander - they are under NHL contract and some even had early season NHL auditions this year but it is very clear their respective NHL teams want them to develop the year in the AHL. This ensures the CPU GM's keep them in the AHL and ensure that they are eligible for their real rookie seasons (and Calder Trophy) as part of the 18-19 NHL rookie class. It also means they get picked by their national teams for the WJC U-20 tournament - whereas previously, the CPU GM's would often have them in the NHL playing 4th line minutes all year - exhausting their rookie eligibility and not releasing them for the WJC.

These are all attempts to "bend the rules" of EHM a bit in order to produce a more accurate sim.

EDIT: There was an error in both the Great North and Wild West sets that were causing them not load upon starting a new game - they should both be fixed now.

Enjoy!
Can you put this as a steam download? It would attract the attention of larger audiences

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Can you put this as a steam download? It would attract the attention of larger audiences

BK's rosters were stolen and re-uploaded to Steam before by another user without permission. This is why there are several sets of DBs that are not available on Steam Workshop. Plus it sucks to maintain it.

Reactions: Darkauron

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
BK's rosters were stolen and re-uploaded to Steam before by another user without permission. This is why there are several sets of DBs that are not available on Steam Workshop. Plus it sucks to maintain it.
Oh. that sucks. Just personally it's more convenient and easier to download but yeah that would be frustrating. I totally get that

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
is there ever gonna be a fix to stop RFA's from going over seas and never coming back?

Never coming back? I’ve never seen that, even before I bumped up my cap, I would have RFAs sign an international deal for a year and then they would come back the following.

I had Richard Rakell deny my contracts so many times, he ended up bolting to go play in Russia. He eventually came back the next season on a cheaper deal that what I had originally thought he would accept.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Never coming back? I’ve never seen that, even before I bumped up my cap, I would have RFAs sign an international deal for a year and then they would come back the following.

I had Richard Rakell deny my contracts so many times, he ended up bolting to go play in Russia. He eventually came back the next season on a cheaper deal that what I had originally thought he would accept.

I mean more so for the CPU teams. I find that Colin White and Logan Brown always go to Europe for extended periods of time

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I mean more so for the CPU teams. I find that Colin White and Logan Brown always go to Europe for extended periods of time

I'd be interested in knowing with what DB and also what the cap situation was with Ottawa (or whatever team) at the time that happened. Could be an AI issue that will be addressed (maybe) in 1.5.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I'd be interested in knowing with what DB and also what the cap situation was with Ottawa (or whatever team) at the time that happened. Could be an AI issue that will be addressed (maybe) in 1.5.

it's with your roster update and I haven't adjusted the cap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad