Eastside Hockey Manager - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Won the cup with Vegas in three seasons. Had to fire Gallant and hire some unknown coach that had a V.Good rep, as well as acquire Seguin and Panarin from free agency (they're my highest paid players), it also took an unrealistic scenario in having Gusev come over from the KHL which gave the team a hugh offensive boost. The cup winning team was

Marchessault-Seguin-Panarin
Gusev-Shipachyov-Zucker
Namestnikov-W.Karlsson-Tuch
Cogliano-Glass-Suzuki

Theodore-Dahlin
Schmidt-Merrill
McNabb-Brannstrom

MAF
Pickard

I've since replaced MAF with Markstrom and Scmidt with Scandella. The cup winning season had a rough start. 6 straight wins to open the season then 9 straight losses. By December they were in lottery pick range. Then for some reason Pickard replacing an injured Fleury went god mode. The Knights took 5th in the West and rolled through the playoffs pretty dominantly.

Not sure why Brannstrom, Suzuki, and Glass aren't progressing but Tuch is.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Haven't had much time to play recently, so I just finally finished Season 1 for the Seattle Kraken.

Near the end of the year the Sharks did C Ryan Carpenter a favour and waived him following the trade deadline. After falling to irrelevance in Sharks lineup he needed a new start and no playoff teams would be interested but the Seattle Kraken claimed him to help shore up their bottom lines ravaged by trades.

The Kraken ended their season right where they were expected to. With a a record of 24-46-12 for 60 points they blew away the other new expansion teams who got 29 (Saskatchewan), 18 (Milwaukee), 17 (Kansas City), and 9 (Quebec) points. They finished just 8 points shy of true expansion Vegas who finished 6th last with 68 points. The Boston Bruins were the poorest non-expansion team with 71 points.

The Kraken were led by rookie Nikolai Prokhorkin who finished with 68pts, 27 goals in 82 games. Also among the leaders were Marek Hrivik with 65 pts, 73gp, Steves Moses (traded) 60pts, 55gp, Melker Karlsson with 50 pts, 82gp and surprise rookie Austin Ortega with 36pts in 82 games. Leading the defense was waiver wire pickup Jow Morrow with 35pts in 82 games, with rookie Daniel Brickley getting 24 assists in 72 games for second there. Prokhorkin who was often upset about the way NHL refs called the games led the way with 82PIM. Versatile forward Carl Soderberg led not just the forwards but the whole team with 23:23 average icetime, albeit Wideman did have that beat before his trade in January. Jow Morrow at +14 in 82 games and Matt Cullen at +2 in 27 games were the only players to finish in positive +/-.

Matt Cullen has decided to announce his retirement from the NHL. Despite trying hard the Kraken were unable to find a buyer for him at the deadline. Seeing that he no longer has a role other than key veteran on an expansion team, Cullen has decided to leave the NHL.

At the world championships 4 Kraken players were selected. C Marek Hrivik would struggle getting just 2 assists in 7 game while Slovakia failed to make the quarters going just 2-4-1. Melker Karlsson would get 1 goal, 3 points in 8 games as a depth player as Sweden would win the entire thing. Jimmy Howard would not play as the backup to John Gibson. Jyrki Jokkippa would be 2nd among defensemen on the Finnish team with 5 points in 10 games as the would finish 4th.

NHL End of Year News:
Leading scorers in the NHL were Tyler Seguin (119pts), Nikita Kucherov (106pts), Auston Matthews (105pts), Steven Stamkos (99pts, and Alexander Radulov (98pts). Leading among defensemen were Oscar Klefbom (70pts), John Klingberg (67pts), and Shayne Gotisbehere (63pts). Leading goalies were Cory Schneider (.931 65gp), Braden Holtby (.927 65gp), and Henrik Lundqvist (.926 63gp). Leading rookies were ARI Clayton Keller (74pts, 71gp), SEA Nikolai Prokhorkin (68pts, 82gp), PHI Nolan Patrick (59pts, 74gp) among forwards and TBL Mikhail Sergachyov (81gp, 48pts) among D. Only rookie goalie above .890 with more than 5 games was EDM Laurent Brossoit with .909 in 20 games.

Playoff Tree:
West

1. MIN 0 v 8. COL 4
4. WPG 2 v 6. EDM 4
2. DAL 4 v 7. LAK 1
3. SJS 4 v 5. ARI 2

6 EDM 2 v 8. COL 4
2. DAL 4 v 3. SJS 1

2. DAL 4 v 8. COL 1
East
1. WSH 0 v 8. NYR 4
4. NSH 4 v 5. PHI 0
2. TOR 1 v 7. PIT 4
3. NJD 4 v 6. OTT 1

4. NSH 4 v 8. NYR 2
3. NJD 4 v 7. PIT 2

3. NJD 0 v 4. NSH 4

FINAL
1. NSH 4 v 2. DAL 1

Nashville took advantage of their depth to beat what has to be considered to upset year in the NHL. Colorado, Arizona, New Jersey, and Phildelphia all used their impressive young players to have great seasons. But the depth and experience from Dallas (who also had some breakout stars as well) and Nashville would win out, but the deep defense, varied scoring and strong play from Rinne was the difference.

During the playoffs the Kraken added 4 players. The biggest was Vladivostok LW Vladimir Tkachyov. A wizard with the puck, there are question marks about his all around game. However the 22 year is a potential top 6 player next year for the Kraken. Also added were prospects RD Jordan Gross (Notre Dame, NCAA), LW Dominik Kubalik (Pardubice, CZE), and C Jayden Halbgewachs (Moose Jaw, WHL). Both Gross and Kubalik figured to players that will push for roster spots next year, Gross as a smart all around defenseman, albeit undersized and not the greatest skater and Kubalik as an offensive winger with a wicked shot but struggles defensively.

On the eve of the draft Kraken announce 3 trades.
Kraken trade C Clarke Bishop, RW Alexis D'Aoust and G Troy Grosenick to Red Wings for DET 3rd Round Pick in 2018.
Detroit was desperate for some goalie depth with just 1 goalie signed for next year, while D'Asoust addeds some much needed RW depth.
Kraken trade LW Gauillaume Gauthier and LD Jake Linhart to Hurricanes for CAR 3rd Round in 2019
Linhart was a guy well liked in Kraken organization. While others moved around he was a rock in Utah with 46pts in all 80 games. But with too many players above him it was time to move on and in Carolina he will figure higher on depth chart and get a real chance. Gauthier was toss in AHL depth.
Kraken trade C Tyler Boland to Wild for MIN 4th Round in 2020
Boland is a typical player where the parts don't add up to the sum. Smooth passer, good shot, decent skater but just never found his groove with lots of centers in Utah. Has a better chance in Minnesota.

Draft Day:
The draft lottery has mixed some things up. Milwaukee (orginally 3rd) won the lottery to move to 1st. Also moving was Chicago (orginally 8th) up to 2nd and
Saskatchewan (orginally 4th) up to 3rd. Meaning that Quebec (1 to 4), Kansas City (2 to 5), Seattle (5 to 6), Vegas (6 to 7), and Boston (7 to 8) all move down.

Kraken draft:
Kraken select RD Adam Boqvist (Brynas, SHL) 1st Round, 6th overall.
Kraken GM Caulfield was apparently shocked that Boqvist was still on the board. While he doesn't hit and his board battles still need work, the #5 ranked player us already an elite NHL level skater with NHL level stickhandling, shot and passing. The smart defenseman will almost assuredly be on the NHL roster is a contract can be worked out to bring him over this year. Caulfield also reportedly pushed hard to acquire picks 11-14 including shopping standout rookie D Daniel Brickley to grab #7 ranked Quinn Hughes from Michigan who slipped to #15 going to Buffalo. Reportedly he was the target for Kraken had Boqvist not slid.

Kraken trade pick #41 to Montreal for pick #44 and MTL 3rd Round in 2019
Plenty of quality D left, Kraken decide to drop a bit for some extra picks as they are targeting a forward. Montreal would select LW Kirill Marchenko with the pick.

Kraken select LW Philipp Kurashev (Quebec, QMJHL) 2nd Round, 44th Overall (via Montreal, via Chicago)
Kurashev struggles with injuries last year, but the interview sold them on this Swiss born sniper. Ranked #51, he is a team player with good creativity and already has NHL level shot. Needs work in lots of areas, but has raw potential.
Kraken select G Zachary Bothillier (Chicoutimi, QMJHL) 2nd Round, 69th Overall (via Minnesota)
When asked Caulfield admitted this was a big reach. Rumours had Kraken tragetting G Kevin Mandolese who went 43rd to Boston. The scouts were really high on the raw upside of Bouthillier was ranked 107th for the draft.
Kraken select C Greg Meireless (Kitchener, OHL) 2nd Round, 72nd Overall (via Nashville)
Another late b-day is starting to seem like a trend as Kraken try might try to stock AHL talent a year earlier. Meireless is already an NHL level passer that stickhandles and skates well and after 81pts in 68 games, certainly has upside. Ranked #78, needs to round out his game yet.
Kraken select C Cole Fonstad (Swift Current, WHL) 3rd Round, 74th Overall (via Kansas City)
Ranked #60, the 5'9 center is gifted offensively but battled injuries to just 34 games (scoring 34 points) last year. A wreck defensively he needs work.
Kraken select RW Dominik Bokk (Vaxjo, SWEU20) 3rd Round, 77th Overall
Ranked #61, the German born winger is another scoring prospect that needs work defensively. Clearly building around offense and skating is the key, and Bokk is just about NHL level with skating and wrist shot, but needs lots of work. Heading home to Berlin of DEL he will play with men and get time to develop his game.
Kraken select RD Danila Zhuravlyov (Ak Bars/Ibris, MHL) 3rd Round, 82nd Overall (via Detroit)
Stuck in MHL due to Ak Bars great depth, Zhuravlyov tore it up down there. Very raw and still afraid of corners, Z has a wicked slapshot, moves the puck very well, can skate and knows positioning. Desire and Russian factor are issues with the #96 ranked skater, but the risk was decided to be worth it for pick rich Kraken.
Kraken select RD Noah Dobson (Acadie-Bathurst, QMJHL) 3rd Round, 93rd Overall (via Colorado)
Ranked #59, the first big slider selected by Kraken, Dobson is a safe smart defenseman. After 2 high risk defenseman, Kraken are hoping Dobson will be an bigger Enstrom to calm them.
Kraken select LW Joel Teasdale (Blainville-Boisbriand, QMJHL) 3rd Round, 107th Overall (via Washington)
After being passed over last year, he was ranked #155. Teasdale is a determined leader that is a jack of all trades. Might only be a depth guy, but a character depth guy.
Kraken select G Stephen Dhillon (Niagara, OHL) 4th Round, 111th Overall (via Quebec)
Passed over last year, unranked this year despite a strong year in Niagara Dhillon was a guy Kraken scouts insisted should have been a late 2nd. With him being AHL a year earlier than Bothillier, more chances at a goalie is always better.
Kraken select LW Blade Jenkins (Saginaw, OHL) 4th Round, 113th Overall
Strong mental and physical attributes hopefully translate for Jenkins who struggled in his rookie OHL season to just 28 points in 65 games. Has a good wrist shot but needs all around work.
Kraken select C MacAuley Carson (Sudbury, OHL) 4th Round, 134th Overall (via Pittsburgh)
Another passed over player Carson is a determined player with near NHL ready defensive zone capabilites. The upside is a big question mark.
Kraken select RW Martin Pospisil (Sioux City, USHL) 5th Round, 149th Overall
A complete flyer on a raw prospect, the Slovak loves to hit, grind, skate and shoot. Has no balance in his game but is determined. Headed to St. Lawrence in NCAA to round out game.
Kraken select LD Stanislav Demin (Wenatchee, BCHL) 6th Round, 183rd Overall (via Milwaukee)
Completely unranked, sometime you gotta go with the scouts. Demin has solid character, skating and hands, but struggles with many other aspects. Denver has recruited him, but scouts tell me he can be a player years down the road.
Kraken select RD Brady Lyle (North Bay, OHL) 6th Round, 185th Overall
A solid passer and puckhandler, it has not yet translated to OHL despite him being in his 18 year old year last year. Ranked #133 for skills, he dropped hard due to hockey sense, hard to say if he will be able to jump to pro.
Kraken select LD Bogdan Zhilyakov (Neftekhimik/Reaktor, MHL) 7th Round, 221st Overall
Unknown unranked Russian with some upside. Project.

NHL Draft Review:
1. Milwaukee: LD Rasmus Dahlin
2. Chicago: RW Andrei Svechnikov
3. Saskatchewan: RW Filip Zadina
4. Quebec: RD Ryan Merkley
5. Kansas City: C Joe Veleno
6. Seattle: RD Adam Boqvist
7. Vegas: G Jakub Skarek
8. Boston: LW Anderson MacDonald
9. Vancouver: LD Ty Smith
10. Detroit: LW Milos Roman
11. Anaheim: RD Bode Wilde
12. Florida: LD Jared McIssac
13. Montreal: RW Akil Thomas
14. New York I: LW Joel Farabee
15. Buffalo: LD Quinn Hughes
16. New York I: C Rasmus Kupari
17. Buffalo: C Jack McBain
18. Tampa Bay: LW Brady Tkachuk

In other Kraken news heading into the off-season, Kraken have announced that 5 signed players will not be returning. LW Michael Bournival, C Andrei Loktionov, G Leland Irving, C Samuel Henley, and C Andy Blanke will be let go. Both Bournival (17gp, 4pts, -6) and Henley (17gp, 0pts, -5) are defensive forwards who despite being RFA's have not shown enough to be retained. Loktionov actually bounced back from bad start with Kings to get 11pts in 24 games but as a UFA has decided to explore other options. Irving stole starting job at times, but after an overall .887 in 19 games before January's season ending injury, the team has decided to move on. Blanke is horrible ECHL player.

Other players such as Jyrki Jokipakka (1y, 845K), Marek Hrivik (2y, 1.65mil per year), Joe Morrow (2y, 1.65mil per), Stephon Williams (1y, 765K, two-way), Sam Brittain (1y, 1.05mil, two-way) have signed extensions.

Award Winners 2017-2018:
Art Ross: DAL C Tyler Seguin (TBL RW Nikita Kucherov, TOR C Auston Matthews)
Maurice Richard: TBL RW Nikita Kucherov (DAL C Tyler Seguin, TOR C Auston Matthews)
Lester B Pearson: DAL C Tyler Seguin (TBL RW Nikita Kucherov, DAL RW Alexander Radulov)
James Norris: DAL D John Klingberg (NSH D PK Subban, PHI D Shayne Gotisbehere)
Vezina: NYR G Henrik Lundqvist (WSH G Braden Holtby, NJD G Cory Schneider)
William Jennings: NYR G Henrik Lundqvist
Roger Crozier: NJD G Cory Schneider (WSH G Braden Holtby, NYR G Henrik Lundqvist)
Frank Selke: DAL LW Jamie Benn (TOR RW Mitch Marner, TOR C Auston Matthews)
Calder: ARI RW Clayton Keller (NYI C Josh Ho-Sang, DAL D Julius Honka)
Lady Byng: WSH C Nicklas Backstrom (SJS C Joe Pavelski, STL RW Vladimir Tarasenko)
King Clancy: TBL D Victor Hedmon (NSH D PK Subban, NJD G Cory Schneider)
Lester Patrick: WSH C Nicklas Backstrom (CBS C Alexander Wennberg, MIL C Nate Thompson)
Jack Adams: NSH Peter Laviolette (NJD John Hynes, PIT Mike Sullivan)
Plus-Minus: DAL C Tyler Seguin (DAL RW Alexander Radulov, DAL D John Klingberg)
Hart: DAL C Tyler Seguin (TBL RW Nikita Kucherov, TOR C Auston Matthews)
Conn Smythe: NSH G Pekka Rinne (NSH LW Filip Forsberg, NSH RW Kyle Okposo)
Bill Masterton: CAR C Jeff Skinner (BUF D Rasmus Ristolainen, SJS D Brent Burns)

Onto the new year! I know I'm behind and FAR more detailed than others posting stories with 36 team DB, hope this is all good!

Last edited:

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Awesome read Holden, I enjoyed it. Funny seeing Nashville hoist the Cup as an Eastern Conference team. Awards all looked pretty reasonable I'd say....biggest surprise probably Klingberg winning the Norris but Dallas just had such a great year and Seguin (Hart, Ar Ross) and Benn (Selke) as well. Looks like Rinne just shut them down though. Nice story for the Preds, getting that Stanley Cup redemption.

Freaking lucky Blackhawks get Svechnikov...unreal. Also Leafs fan surely getting annoying at this point with Matthews' finishing 3rd in Hart, Art Ross, Richard AND Selke voting and Marner also getting a Selke nomination of all things.

I'll post a story about my current career hopefully soon....just made it to the trade deadline in year one. Love the draft recap btw, will be fun to look back in in future years.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Awesome read Holden, I enjoyed it. Funny seeing Nashville hoist the Cup as an Eastern Conference team. Awards all looked pretty reasonable I'd say....biggest surprise probably Klingberg winning the Norris but Dallas just had such a great year and Seguin (Hart, Ar Ross) and Benn (Selke) as well. Looks like Rinne just shut them down though. Nice story for the Preds, getting that Stanley Cup redemption.

Freaking lucky Blackhawks get Svechnikov...unreal. Also Leafs fan surely getting annoying at this point with Matthews' finishing 3rd in Hart, Art Ross, Richard AND Selke voting and Marner also getting a Selke nomination of all things.

I'll post a story about my current career hopefully soon....just made it to the trade deadline in year one. Love the draft recap btw, will be fun to look back in in future years.

Haha thanks Foppa. I will post my ex-Kraken report with next update, I'm real close to new season.

However I was super frustrated that 4 terrible expansion teams had all skill 10 players in their starting lineup in early August, so I took over all 4 other new expansion teams to sign a whole bunch of UFA's. Hope that it works out, I'll be retiring those GMS by late August.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Wow so very annoying. I clicked on waiver wire via "home" screen and it crashed my game. It sent me back to start of training camp (sept 5th) when I was at end (sept 29th). Damn.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Ok replayed it and tried to make same decisions. Lost out on a Chris Tanev waiver claim this time, but that's ok.

Kraken Off Season Report:
June 28th, 2018
Kraken sign 1st Round Pick Adam Boqvist and two prospects
Kraken got Boqvist over this year in time of the transfer window paying a huge 9800K transfer fee for the youngster. They've also added LW Robert Carpenter out of Boston University and C Anthony Salinitri from Sarnia.
July 6th, 2018
Kraken sign 4, including G Jaroslav Halak
With the new rules in place, one of the first big days for UFA hits. Kraken add discarded goalie Jaro Halak who spent much of last season buried in farm systems on Long Island and in Winnipeg. Expecting to resurrect his career here on a 1 year, 4 million dollar deal, Halak comes in to compete with Howard for starting role. Other adds are prospects C Dominic Commisso, C Kevin Hancock, and LW Ty Lewis.
July 7th, 2018
Kraken sign LW Boone Jenner, lose out on LD Ryan Murray
Kraken sign a key player in Jenner to a long 6 year 24.6 million deal. Jenner is expected to solidify the middle 6 for the Kraken, adding physicality and a some secondary scoring coming off a 34 point campaign in Columbus. The rumours of Murray heading to Seattle were squashed with a 7 year deal locking him into Vancouver. Kraken also signed 4th Round pick G Stephon Dhillon to a 3 year ELC.
July 12th, 2018
Kraken add RW Anton Rodin, 2 prospects to stable
GM Holden Caulfield was quick to mention the European interest in Rodin when confronted with the large 3 million dollar caphit he gave Rodin on the one year deal, despite Rodin only playing 3 games with the Canucks last year, instead spending the year scoring 89 points in the AHL. He also indicated that he has high hopes for former Flyer 1st Rounder Morgan Frost added today. Brennan Menell was also signed to an ELC.
July 18th, 2018
Kraken announce new Captain, new signee LD Tobias Enstrom
Kraken signed veteran Jets defenseman Tobias Enstrom to a 3 year, 9.1 million dollar deal and revealed him as the team's 2nd captain today. With a young d-corps likely including young Swedish defender Adam Boqvist Enstrom is expected to be the stablizing force on the backend. Also announced they've signed Peterborough Petes overager Matt Timms to an ELC.
August 8th, 2018
Kraken trade RW Tyler Kelleher, LW Brady Ferguson, MTL 3rd Round in 2019, SEA 5th Round in 2019 to Edmonton for C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and rights to RW Ty Rattie. Also announce that they are bringing back RW Steve Moses, sign LW Daniel Carr and are bringing in prospect LW Daniel Hardie.
Huge day in August for the Kraken. With the Oilers sitting far above the cap they make a move on recently made available Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. With Edmonton looking for cost effective replacements they offer them Tyler Kelleher who scored 15pts in 32 games last year and should figure in EDM 3rd line along with Brady Ferguson who can be depth option coming off a 55pt in 55game AHL season, albeit with limited success at NHL level scoring just 3pts in 24 NHL games. Nugent-Hopkins is coming a mere 38 points season last year, but should figure into the Kraken as a 1st line C and his 3 years remaining at 6 million per doesn't scare off the Kraken. Steve Moses is returning to Seattle after an only mediocre stint in Carolina where he got 4g, 9pts in 19 games. They deal is reportedly nearly 4 million less over the same term as was offered to him in January of last year by the Kraken. They've also added Carr from Montreal who scored 12pts in 49 games last year on a 1 year, 1.3 million dollar deal.
Kraken invite two veteran RW's to camp Blake Comeau and Drew Stafford.

Other NHL news:
July 5th

Jacob Trouba signs monster deal with NYI for 7year, 56.7 million. Jets could not afford to keep him he figures to anchor Long Island for a long time. Also of note is ex-Capitals backup heading to Detroit to be a starter with a 7 year, 30.8 million dollar deal. Other deals are John Moore to Saskatchewan on a 5year, 13 million dollar deal, Jason Zucker to Kansas City on a 7 year, 32.5 million dollar deal, Ryan Murphy re-signing in Minnesota for 3y, 3.9 million, and Michael Del Zotto traded to Buffalo from Vancouver for 2 3rd Round Picks.
July 6th
Big news was Ryan Murray making his decision to move to Vancouver for 7y, 30 million. Nate Schmidt went back to Vegas for 5y, 14.5 million, David Perron moved to Saskatchewan for 3y, 12.5 million, Rick Nash to Buffalo 1y, 7.7mil, Jaro Halak to Seattle for 1y, 4.2 million.
July 7th
Boone Jenner went to Seattle for 6y, 24.6 million and Mikko Koivu cashed in with a 1y, 8.75 million dollar deal.
July 9th
Colorado continued to add to their young core with Jack Johnson for 2y, 14.1 million, Detroit added veteran D Dennis Wideman for 1y, 2.2mil, and Arizona pleased with 40 wins Raanta gave them re-upped with him for 7y, 33million dollar deal.
July 13th
Coming off a 44pt campaign Calgary re-signed Kris Versteeg to a 2y, 6.2mil deal and Tampa dealt 24yo 35pt D Slater Koekkoek along with Rights to 2018 6th Rounder LD William Ennis and 3rd Round in 2019 to New Jersey for rights to 2018 2nd Rounder G Amir Miftakhov and G Ken Appleby.
July 14th
Tampa Bay quickly replaced Koekkoek with RD Mike Green who scored 37pts split between DET and LAK for 2y, 12mil, and Kansas City add RW Patric Hornqvist for 2y, 8.9mil.
July 17
Saskatchewan adds Calvin De Haan for 7y, 28mil while fellow no help expansion Seattle adds Tobias Enstrom for 3y, 9mil. Wild and Golden Knights re-up Marcus Foligno and William Karlsson a 1y, 2mil respectively.
July 22
Frank Vatrano returns to Boston with a 1y, 2.2mil deal, RW Michael Grabner returns to team who waived him in Vancouver with a 2y, 9.5mil deal. Flippuls signs 1y, 4.8mil in Florida.
July 24
Calvin Pickard goes back Vegas with 1y, 2.8mil and Erik Gudbranson moves to Quebec with 1y, 2.2mil. Antoine Roussel finds room in Kansas City for a 3y, 12.5mil deal and Tyler Bozak moves to Vancouver on 2y, 7.5mil deal.
July 28
Vegas adds scoring with Thomas Vanek on a 1y, 3.1mil and Quebec continues to add in net with Antti Niemi and a 2y, 8.2mil deal.
Aug 8
NHL world explodes again. Oilers move Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and rights to Ty Rattie to Seattle for RW Tyler Kelleher, LW Brady Ferguson, MTL 3rd in 2019, SEA 5th in 2019. Over the cap the desperate Oilers get some good depth pieces for RNH. Also in the news is Steve Moses returning to Seattle on 3y, 8.1mil deal. Quebec loaded up adding C Henrik Sedin (1y, 2.1mil), LW Daniel Sedin (1y, 2.1mil), RW Jannik Hansen (5y, 37.5mil), LD Martin Marincin (2y, 3.4mil) as did Kansas City adding C Mark Lestestu (2y, 3.4mil), Ld Dan Hamhuis (3y, 7.5mil), C Andrew Cogliano (4y, 12mil) and Ld Thomas Hickey (4y, 8.4mil)
Rest
Milwaukee got Luke Schenn, Brandon Pirri, Riley Sheahan, Benoit Pouliot, Josh Gorges while Saskatchewan got Nikolai Kulemin, Alexei Emelin, Alex Chiasson, Ales Hemsky, Matt Read.

Kraken training camp
Blake Comeau was quick to make an impression in camp. There was much discussion about the competitiveness about the forward group and he stood out.
Sept 19, 2018
Kraken sign PTO invitee Blake Comeau to a 1y, 2.8mil deal.
He has impressed in camp and stolen a spot.
Sept 22, 2018
Kraken trade RW Austin Ortega to Minnesota for MIN 2nd round in 2020 and RD Nick Seeler
Comeau forced Ortega right out of spot and at 24 the Kraken GM Caulfield wasn't sure if there was much more upside. In Minnesota Ortega will jump right into a 2nd/3rd line RW spot, with Seeler being a toss in for contract management.
Sept 25, 2018
Kraken trade C Tyler Sheehy and SEA 4th in 2019 to Winnipeg C Andrew Copp
Caulfield talked alot about Copp's versatility at the press conference, emphasising how he can checking or scoring line roles and all 3 forward positions. Sheehy has more natural offensive talent but for a depth role Copp is better suited, despite Sheehy's 20pts in 44 games last year versus Copp's just 26pts in 70 games. Caulfield mentioned the deal only came together after WPG GM put Copp on the block looking for a waiver exempt player with upside in return.
Sept 28, 2018
Kraken trade rights to LD Bogdan Zhilyakov to San Jose for LD Brendan Dillon
After spending last season in minors and with 2 years left on deal for 3.27 per year on deal San Jose has been shopping Dillon at any price. While the 2018 7th isn't any kind of return, San Jose just wanted Dillon off the cap. Dillon steps into a 6/7 role for Seattle that they didn't feel comfortable having with prospects Jimmy Schuldt (last year 30gp, 5pts, -14) or rookie Jordan Gross.

So after all this year of the Kraken starting rosters for 2018-19!
Seattle Kraken (Age)
Nikolai Prokorkin (25) - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins"A" (25) - Steve Moses (29)
Vladimir Tkachyov* (22) - Marek Hrivik (27) - Melker Karlsson"A" (28)
Boone Jenner (25) - Carl Soderberg (32) - Anton Rodin (27)
Dominik Kubalik* (23) - Andrew Copp (24) - Blake Comeau (32)
ex: LW Daniel Carr (26), C Ryan Carpenter (27)

Jyrki Jokipakka (27) - Joe Morrow (25)
Tobias Enstrom"C" (33) - Adam Boqvist* (18)
Daniel Brickley (23) - Artyom Zub (22)
ex: Brendan Dillon (27)

Jaroslav Halak (33)
Jimmy Howard (34)

Utah Grizzlies
Alex Tongue* (23) - Kevin Hancock* (20) - Cole Bardreau (25)
Ryan Carpenter* (22) - Jayden Halbgewachs* (21) - Matt Gaudreau (23)
Michael Michaelis (23) - Ryan Moore (21) - Dominic Commisso* (20)
Daniel Hardie* (20) - Antoine Dufort-Plante (22) - Ty Lewis* (20)

Jimmy Schuldt (23) - Darren Raddysh (22)
Ryan Culkin (24) - Jordan Gross* (23)
Jack Ahcan (21) - Ian Scheid (23)

Sam Brittain (26)
Stephon Williams (25)

ECHL
G Stephen Dhillon* (20)
RD Nick Seeler (25)
RD Brennan Menell* (21)
LD Matt Timms (20)
C Anthony Salinitri* (20)

*=Rookie at that level.

Also, as we are starting a new year I think this is the good time for the ex-Kraken report (I'm only putting prospects if they make something of themselves later)
LD Stuart Percy (claimed off waivers by Quebec Sept/17): Only a Kraken in name, he failed to make the inaugural roster in 17-18. He would go on to play all 82 games with Quebec in 17-18 scoring 15 points but went -87. To start 18-19 he was waived down to St. John's in AHL.
G Reto Berra (traded to Milwaukee Nov/17): After starting 0-5-0 despite a .903save percentage he waived down to Utica where he went 7-38-3 with a .893. Last chance done, he has moved onto 2nd division Swiss league with Thurgau.
RW Darren Archibald (claimed off waivers Dec/17): Would be a regular for Quebec rest of year but with just 11pts in 42 games while going -37 he was released at end of year. Has yet to find a new home.
C John Mitchell (traded to Nashville January/18): Scored just 2 assists in 14 games during regular season before being healthy scratch all through playoffs. Non-factor in the Cup win, but Nashville still got his name on Lord Stanley's Cup.
RD Dennis Wideman (traded to Pittsburgh January/18): Provided the PP boost needed to Pittsburgh scoring 8pts in 28 games to finish the year, but more importantly 4pts in 10 playoff games. Moved onto Detroit with a 1y, 2.2 million dollar deal in the off-season.
LD Jakub Kindl (traded to Colorado February/18): Provided key depth on the blueline with 7pts in 27 games to finish the year but struggled in playoffs with just 1a in 15 games while getting 33PIM. Not brought back has yet to find a new team.
RW Teddy Purcell (traded to Minnesota February/18): Scored 4pts in 13 games down the stretch helping Minnesota push into playoffs but got nothing in 4 playoff games. Has yet to find a new team.
C TJ Hensick (traded to Minnesota February/18): Struggled to just 1g, 2pts in 15 games down the stretch and found himself a healthy scratch in playoffs. Has yet to find a new team.
RW Steve Moses (traded to Carolina February/18): Produced 4g, 9pts in 19 games from a 3rd line role for Carolina but the team failed to make the playoffs. Went back to Seattle with 3y, 8.1mil deal in off-season.
LW Chris Vande Velde (traded to San Jose February/18): Scored 3g, 5pts in 21 games as solid 4th liner down the stretch and added 1g in 6 games as a guy in and out lineup in playoffs for San Jose. Hay yet to find a new team.
LW Drew Miller (traded to Blue Jackets February/18): Played just one game before injury. Ended up waived before end of season but went -5 in 7 games with just 1 goal in AHL. Has yet to find a new team.
LD Marc-Andre Gagnani (traded to Tampa Bay February/18): Would score 1g, 3pts in 10 games post-trade helping the TBL PP but the team missed playoffs. Signed with Red Wings in off-season but merely as AHL depth as he was waived down to Grand Rapids.
C Chris Porter (traded to Milwaukee February/18): Scored 5pts in 16 games down stretch with Milwaukee but his Seattle 2million dollar deal inflated worth would not let him work out a contract. Has yet to find a new team.
LW Andrew Desjardins (traded to Los Angeles February/18): Pure extra depth in LA he would get into just 3 games post trade, none in playoffs. Has yet to find a new team.
LD Victor Bartley (traded to Carolina February/18): Super long depth for Carolina they did not need him during the run. As Carolina eventually fell out of it, he was waived down to AHL. Has yet to find a new team.
C Colin Smith, RW Scott Kosmachuk (traded to Washington February/18): Guys that were only AHL depth for Seattle, they remained that for Washington but both have made Washington out of camp in 18-19.
LW Michael Bournival (left as a unsigned RFA/18): Signed a 2y 2mil deal in Saskatchewan and has made their team out of camp.
C Samuel Henley (left as an unsigned RFA/18): Signed with the Canadians but waived out of camp.
G Leland Irving (left as an UFA/18): Signed a two-year deal with Pittsburgh for 960K per year to backup Matt Murray.
C Andrei Loktionov (left as an UFA/18): Could not find a contract and headed back to KHL to play for Lokomotiv.

Last edited:

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
sorry, how u can get vegas in the game?
Is there any update?
There are three current databases that I'm aware of that include Vegas...

There's a "Vegas DB" created by BKarchitect (Foppa on this site) http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=18299

And the beta version of TBL's 2017-18 database includes Vegas http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18352

And BKarchitect/Foppa has created a 36 team NHL that includes Vegas http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18491

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
alko - can you post screenshoots of winners for every league you have selected in your save ? :)

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
End of 2018-2019 season:
Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup after beating Chicago Blackhawks in 6 games.
Very nice showing as Chicago was a bottom 11 team the season before but the President's Trophy winning Maple Leafs were unmatched.

Also improving from disastrous 2017-2018 was the Washington Capital led by their captain Alex Ovechkin and their star goalie Braden Hotlby.
After missing the playoffs the year before, the Caps finished 2nd behind the Maple Leafs and lost to them in 6 games in the ECSF.
Ovechkin scored 55 goals and 102 points taking home the Rocket and Art Ross Trophies.
Holtby returned to from going 47-11-6 with 1.83 GAA, 0.929 SV% and 9 SO.

Saskatchewan Whitetails:
At the beginning of the year 2019 the Whitetails were holding on to a playoff spot but a bad stretch of games forced them to sell at the Trade Deadline as they sent C Ryan Spooner to the Kings for a 1st round pick in 2019 (23rd). Spooner seemed to be the push they needed as the Kings were able to make the playoffs. Spooner scored 9 goals and 18 points in 26 games with the Kings.

Roster at the end of the season:
Tkachyov (79, 45+39=84) - Kovar (82, 22+47=69) - Moses (75, 31+44=75)
Komarov (75, 11+14=25) - Bozak (82, 17+23=40) - Fast (77, 19+23=42)
Karlsson (82, 6+16=22) - Eakin (79, 20+19=39) - Archibald (77, 9+13=22)
Leskinen (82, 10+25=35) - Sheehy (26, 1+2=3) - Stempniak (80, 8+9=17)

Murray (82 2+37=39) - McNabb (82, 1+14=15)
Hamhuis (82, 3+21=24) - Klein (82, 0+16=16)
Merrill (77, 5+6=11) - Subban (76, 4+21)

Pickard (29-26-4, 2.84 GAA, 0.897 SV%, 3 SO)
Ortio (10-11-2, 2.88 GAA, 0.893 SV%)

My 2018 draft picks:
6th: Adam Boqvist (RD): 48, 2+4=6, 6.25 AvR (Ak Bars, KHL). Not a good season in the KHL. Saskatchewan are desperately trying to get him to come over.
41st: Alexis Gravel (G): 37, 27-7-3, 2.17 GAA, 0930 SV%, 1 SO, 7.43 AvR (Halifax, QMJHL). Great season from him. Led Halifax to QMJHL champions and eventually to Memorial cup champions.
77th: Jake Wise (C): 32, 13+16=29, 7.00 AvR (Boston University, HE). Led BU in points as they won HE. Also was tied 2nd in BU points as they won the Frozen Four.
113th: Mathias Emilio Pettersen (C/LW): Traded to Penguins for Sharks 1st round pick in 2019 (15th overall). Didn't impress me much so decided to test his market. Penguins seemed to like him a lot and ended up with a great pick.
149th: Connor Roberts (C): 63, 10+18=28, 6.68 AvR (Hamilton, OHL). Hamilton wasn't a good team but Roberts finished with a team best +12 rating. A good defensive center.
185th: Jordy Bellerive (C/RW): 66, 47+45=92, 7.85 AvR (Lethbridge, WHL). Bellerive continued his great play throughout the season and finished 2nd in goals and 3rd in points as he took home Four Broncos Memorial Trphy as the most outstanding player and Brad Hornung Trophy as most gentlemanly player. He was also the runner-up for the WHL Star player award behind Michael Rasmussen.
221st: Samuel Bucek (LW/C/RW): 76, 38+8=46, 6.61 AvR (Portland, AHL). I knew he was a goal scorer but didn't expect anything like this. He also had 339 SOG with a 11.2 SH% so interesting to see if he can get that up a little. Finished 6th in goals in the AHL.

2019 NHL Entry draft:
Currently holdin the following picks:
1: 10th, 15th, 23rd
2: 10th
3: 10th
4: 10th
5: 10th
6: 10th
7: 10th

Looking to draft some Dmen as Boqvist was the only D I drafted.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
I'm impressed with how crazy high scoring some of you are able to achieve with the expansion clubs using KHLers and re-treads on your top lines.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
What horrible luck I have.

Around November in my current save with Anaheim, I pick up free agent Phil Kessel to be with Nick Backstrom and Giroux. Within 8 games he gets about 15 points and then he gets injured for four months with a torn ACL.

As the game updated and kicked over the new year, I find an unfortunate email saying with the advice from his doctor Kessel had to retire from professional hockey :rant:

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Started a game with the Whitetails with the v1.1 DB.

My season start roster

Hyman - Grigorenko - Gionta
Korpikoski - Da Costa - Chiasson
Bouma - Loktionov - Patrick Brown
Moses - Shane Harper - Pirri
Injured: J. Hayes, Winnik

C. Wideman - D. Wideman
Brickley - Gilbert
Kirill Koltsov - Polak
Nikitin

Halak
Kareyev

Edit: Started 2-1-0, Grigorenko with 3 goals and 3 assists :laugh:

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
179cbfc5d67bb57c668c5b9ceb96fdca.png
Kansas City Scouts: 2017-18 Season, Post-Trade Deadline Recap

Here were my lines to start the season:
Daniel Winnik - Vladimir Tkachyov (center one) - Brian Gionta
Mikhail Grigorenko - Stephane Da Costa - Brandon Pirri
Scottie Upshall - Johan Sundstrom - Alexander Barabanov
Nikolai Prohorkin - Joseph Cramarossa - Joe Vitale
Extra: Samuel Henley

Artyom Zub - Cody Franson
Nick Schultz - Tom Gilbert
Zakhar Arzamastev - Fedor Tyutin
Extra: Niclas Burstrom

Andrei Karayev - Mantas Armalis

It's February 23 (TDL Day) and I currently am 15th in the West and the top (non-Vegas) expansion team:
- Kansas City: 33 Points
- Saskatchewan: 18 Points
- Quebec: 10 Points
- Milwaukee: 9 Points
- Seattle: 8 Points

No tremendously high scorers on this make-shift team but I had gotten a bit of contribution from all lines. Team leaders:
- Brian Gionta: 10 goals, 32 points in only 47 games
- Brandon Pirri: 20 goals, 32 points in 58 games
- Stephane Da Costa: 12 goals, 29 points in 58 games
- Alexander Barabanov: 15 goals, 27 points in 58 games
- Mikhail Grigorenko: 7 goals, 27 points in 58 games

On defense, Franson and Gilbert led the way:
- Tom Gilbert: 23 points in 58 games, 20:47 ice time
- Cody Franson: 15 points in 58 games, 21:04 ice time

Other key players are Prokhorkin with 23 points, Tkachyov with 22 points and Winnik with 21 points. Kareyev has 12 wins in 48 starts, Armalis had 3 wins in 11 starts.

KC Trades/TDL:
So at the deadline I went into Trade Joe mode despite some modest success with the current group of players. A lot of these players are either aging or signed to one year deals and I wanted to acquire some parts that would be more long-term assets, even if they were overpaid or would eventually only be depth players once I actually build a good squad. I offered a bunch of players out to other teams and also trolled the "Available Players" listings to try to find some good deals. I also trired to stay away from dealing with other expansion teams - who were eager to serve up mid-round picks for some of my aging depth players when no other teams were interested but that would kind of be taking advantage of the system.

Scouts trade Brian Gionta to Capitals for 2018 2nd round pick
- Took the highest pick being offered for veteran Gionta who will give the Caps some extra depth in their playoff push

Scouts trade Daniel Winnik to Penguins for Carl Hagelin
- Pens get out from Hagelin's contract which is fairly hefty and get a proven, veteran replacement in Winnik...so they don't lose out on any immediate depth for another Cup push. Hagelin is younger than Winnik and adds speed to the Scouts and his contract is a non-issue.

Scouts trade Brandon Pirri and Mikhail Grigorenko to Flames for Troy Brouwer, Michael Ferland and 2018 4th round pick
- Calgary upgrades significantly offensively as Pirri & Grigorenkp have accounted for a combined 27 goals and 59 points versus Brouwer & Ferland's combined 15 goals and 31 points plus they get to move Brouwer's contract. And again, Brouwer's contract is no big deal for the Scouts and he adds a big, strong veteran body. But the key for KC here is Ferland who has been inconsistant but is a whirling dervish of energy, speed and physcality with some untapped offensive upside.

Scouts trade Stephane Da Costa and Mantas Armalis to Sabres for Johan Larsson and Nicolas Deslauriers
- Another swap where the other team, the Sabres in this case, receive an offensive boost as Da Costa has 12 goals and 29 points versus a mere 5 goals and 13 points out of Larsson. Deslauriers was a replaceable 4th liner but will bring nice grit to the Scouts while Larsson is a defensive whiz at center who will get a chance to show more offensively in KC.

Scouts trade Joe Vitale to Whitetails for 2018 and 2019 4th round picks
- I did this trade before I realized every depth player of mine will be wanted by another expansion team. No way Vitale, a servicable 4th liner, is worth two 4th round picks but I took 'em!

Scouts trade Cody Franson to Lightning for 2018 2nd and 4th round picks
- Franson was a key defender in KC and will compete for a top 4 spot and PP on a powerful Tampa club...picks are always valuable as an expansion team

Scouts trade Tom Gilbert to Stars for 2018 3rd round pick
- Gilbert was having a very good season in KC, leading the blueline in scoring but like the Franson deal, I just wanted to add picks

Trade Results:
- Well, I dealt 4 of my 5 top offensive performers and my top 2 scoring defenders - and my ability to score is what set me above the other expansion teams thus far. So I expect things to be a struggle for the remainder of the season. But I like the direction...I'm trying to add speed, energy and grit with guys who will be here more than the rest of this season and in the likes of Ferland, Hagelin, Larsson and Brouwer will add these attributes in spades. They will probably be asked to play above their heads for a while but when I start to develop my real team, they can remain important depth players. It also adds a bit of balance to a team that was perhaps relying too heavily on KHL imports.

Post-Trade Lines:
Carl Hagelin - Johan Larsson - Michael Ferland
Nikolai Prokhorkin - Vladimir Tkachyov (center one) - Alexander Barabanov
Scottie Upshall - Johan Sundstrom - Troy Brouwer
Nicolas Deslauriers - Joseph Cramarossa - Sam Henley

Nick Schultz - Artyom Zub
Zakhar Arzamastev - Fedor Tyutin
Brady Austin - Niclas Burstrom

Andrei Karayev - Alexei Krasikov

I'm going to load 3 new guys up with all the responsiblity they can handle with my new first line. They aren't going to score on natural skill but they might just work harder than everybody else to knock in a few goals. The second line is my new "KHL Line" where I am going to unite my three remaining Russian forwards to try and get some scoring chemsitry. I'll I want out of lines 3 & 4 are guys who are going to be pains-in-the-rears to go up against.

Defensively, Franson and Gilbert leave a big hole. I'm expecting my two Russian imports to assume bigger roles while I called up Brady Austin, a no-frills but defensively strong defender, from Oklahoma City.

And Karayev will be joined in goal by another young Russian netminder in Krasikov.

First Game Post-Olympic Break/Post-Trade Deadline
- I took on the high powered Lightning in the first game with my new line-up and came up big in front of the hometown fans at the Sprint Center with a 3-1 win. Had some new tactics with my new lines, employing a high-tempo, hard-checking and aggressive style with my top two lines shooting frequently and my bottom two lines focusing on defensive play with safe passing. Don't have a lot of flair or creative players so I've got use my speed and energy to create chances and play within the limits of the roster. Michael Ferland debuted with a PP goal in 1st period to give us a 1-0 lead. Stamkos would later tie it in that period. Arzamastev stepped up with PP time and gave us the lead in 2nd with a bomb from the point and Prokhorkin added to the final margin later in the period. Kareyev stopped 28 of 29 shots in net. Ferland and Arzamastev each went 1+1 while Larsson and Hagelin both got helpers in their debuts. The Scouts took only 1 penalty all game long (despite the in-your-face style) and we won the battles of board play, face-offs and pass completion% against the #1 team in the Eastern Conference :)!

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Finished my first season with the Whitetails:
17-56-9 43 pts 16 pts ahead of the Scouts. Kraken and QC only had 2 wins each.
Da Costa top scorer and goalscorer 68 gp 15-25-40
Kirill Koltsov was top D 80 gp 8-24-32

Traded Winnik,Pirri, Casey Bailey, Moses, Gionta and Gilbert for picks.

EDIT:
Was writing a draft report, misclicked and lost it :laugh: :cry:

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
There are three current databases that I'm aware of that include Vegas...

There's a "Vegas DB" created by BKarchitect (Foppa on this site) http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=18299

And the beta version of TBL's 2017-18 database includes Vegas http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18352

And BKarchitect/Foppa has created a 36 team NHL that includes Vegas http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18491

Outside of Gallant I'm pretty sure TBL's doesn't have any of Vegas' staff. I didn't realize until halfway through the first season I only had one coach and no scouts.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
What horrible luck I have.

Around November in my current save with Anaheim, I pick up free agent Phil Kessel to be with Nick Backstrom and Giroux. Within 8 games he gets about 15 points and then he gets injured for four months with a torn ACL.

As the game updated and kicked over the new year, I find an unfortunate email saying with the advice from his doctor Kessel had to retire from professional hockey :rant:

This happened to me with Connor McDavid once. This was before he was drafted so I traded...I think Andersen plus a first for first overall and got McDavid on the Ducks. First of all he never got above 65 points, and then he suffered a career ending injury.

Speaking of, my EHM file has Cody Glass as pretty much a bust. Which is neat. Thankfully I invested in Seguin who carries the team with F.Forsberg (I went on vacation one day and my staff gave Panarin a 7 year 9.8 million dollar contract. Had to dump cap on that one)

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Outside of Gallant I'm pretty sure TBL's doesn't have any of Vegas' staff. I didn't realize until halfway through the first season I only had one coach and no scouts.

Neither does mine. That's why I'd recommend starting any of them with extra staff turned on :)

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
Saskatchewan Whitetails offseason:

2019 NHL Entry Draft:
Like I promised, I had my sights set heavily on D and delivered on that promise. Tried to move up to grab Artemi Knyazev who was drafted by Milwaukee Admirals 6th overall.

1/10: Marshall Warren, RD/LD, USNTDP (USHL) --> transferred to Harvard (ECAC)
Offensive D, with a heavy slap shot. Good stickhandler and pretty mobile.

1/15: Jakob Pelletier, C/LW, Moncton (QMJHL)
PLaymaking Center with a great vision and speed.

1/23: Cam York, LD/RD, USNTDP (USHL) --> trasferred to Boston College (HE)
Playmaking offensive D with great skating.

2/46: Alexandre Hogue, LD, Sarnia (OHL)
Another good offensive D with a booming slap shot. Great leader.

3/82: Luke Toporowski, RW/LW, Spokane (WHL)
Fast, hard hitting winger with a knack for goal scoring.

4/118: Philip Andersson, RD, Örebro J20 (J20 SuperElit)
Overaged stay-at-home Dmen with a good mobility. Punishing hitter.

5/154: Dom Fensore, LD, USNTDP (USHL)
Another great offensive D. Size can hold him back so bit of a boom or bust prospect. Transferring to Quinnipiac in 2020.

6/190: Ryder Donovan, RW/C, Duluth East (HS-MN) --> transferred to North Dakota (NCHC)
Playmaking winger with great speed and big frame.

7/226: Aidan Dudas, C/RW, Owen Sound (OHL)
Hard-working center with good skating.

Free Agency:

July 6th, Whitetails land LD/RD Jake Gardiner with a 3 year 25,5 million contract.
Gardiner has established himself as an elite offensive D, scoring 67 points in 2017-18 and 55 points in 2018-19.

July 11th, RD Ryan Ellis sign a 3 year 21 million deal with Saskatchewan!
Another offensive D signs with Whitetails. Ellis and Gardiner will form one of the deadliest top pairings in the league.

July 17th, Whitetails send D Jon Merrill to Blackhawks for C Jeff Carter.
Blackhawks are struggling with cap again so they had to put Carter on trading block. Last season they went all in for the playoffs and acuired Jeff Carter at the deadline who helped Blackhawks reach all the way to the Stanley Cup final where they lost to Jake Gardiner and Maple Leafs. With Gardiner and Ellis signings Saskatchewan had a suplus of D which allowed them to trade Merill.

All in all I was able to keep my core intact and added some key pieces. We are definitely looking to land a playoffs spot with this roster. There's still a lot of cap space to make necessary moves during the season. Now on to a training camp.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
My game just had the worst trade I've ever seen in an EHM game. Calgary gave up their 1st rounder in 2019, their 1st rounder in 2020, and their 4th rounder in 2019 to Flyers for G Michal Neuvirth and rights to C Carson Foght (drafted 5th round 172nd overall in 2018). Neuvirth does become their starter, but he is just average and has one year left at 2.5 million. Flames sent down Parsons who had .913 to make room for Neuvirth. Jeez.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
This happened to me with Connor McDavid once. This was before he was drafted so I traded...I think Andersen plus a first for first overall and got McDavid on the Ducks. First of all he never got above 65 points, and then he suffered a career ending injury.

Speaking of, my EHM file has Cody Glass as pretty much a bust. Which is neat. Thankfully I invested in Seguin who carries the team with F.Forsberg (I went on vacation one day and my staff gave Panarin a 7 year 9.8 million dollar contract. Had to dump cap on that one)

Yeah, I've had it happen to me already. Although being 37, Ryan Getzlaf had somehow injured himself in the offseason and had to retire by "doctors advice"

You guys are lucky that you can get Karayev to come over. I've been trying for 2 years to get him to come over and he is refusing.

There is only ONE way I have ever seen European players leave their league. If you offer them a huge 1 year deal they can come over. I had acquired the rights to Jani Hakanpaa (who for some reason had developed outstanding defensive attributes). After 3 years of trying and trying, I tried simming and re-saving to see what would it take to bring him over. He denied everything under 7 million, anything over the 7 million figure, he was coming over.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
18-19 Kraken Mid-Season Report:

November 12, 2018
Kraken trade LD Daniel Brickley to Winnipeg for WPG 2nd Round in 2019 and WPG 4th Round in 2019
Daniel Brickley was struggling to replicate his rookie season with just 3 assists in 16 games while going -9. With Schudlt, Ahcan, Culkin, Gross, Raddysh all pushing hard in AHL as well as Dillon wanting and ready for more icetime the decision was to move on from Brickley. Jets are near the top of the standings and feel he can be a key bottom pairing and move up in future years.

January 2nd, 2019
Kraken announce re-signing of 4 roster players
Most notably G Jaroslav Halak who has stolen the starting spot from returning Jimmy Howard and RW Anton Rodin. Halak signs for two additional years at a slight decrease to 4 million per season. Rodin, who has recorded 29 points in 39 games from the 3rd and 4th lines, also decreases his AAV to just 2.7 million per year from 3million, but adds 4 new years onto the deal. Also coming back are LD Jykri Jokkippa for 2 years at 1.5 per and C Andrew Copp for 2 years at 1.3 per.

January 13th
Kraken are surprise team of the year at the mid-way point of the NHL season. Sitting with a record of 19-17-5 they are tied for 12th place in the Western Conference, just 4 points outside the playoff picture. With 131 goals for they are 3rd in the West in goals and their 81.7% PK is good for 4th. Goals against of 120 has them 12th and PP% of 19.0% is just 9th in the West however.
Mid Season Grades:
A: LW Vladimir Tkachyov, RW Steve Moses, RW Anton Rodin, LD Tobias Enstrom
Notes: Tkachyov leads the team with 20 goals and 34 points as a rookie and has been great. Moses is back to form with 30pts in 32games, and Rodin is 3rd with 29pts despite being a 3rd/4th liner most of the season. Enstrom leads the team at +14 and leads defensemen with 23pts.
B: LW Melker Karlsson, LW Boone Jenner, LD Joe Morrow, LW Dominik Kubalik, LW Daniel Carr, LD Jykri Jokipakka, C Andrew Copp G Jaroslav Halak
Note: Karlsson is a consistent veteran with 34pts, Jenner is 2nd on team with 15goals, Morrow has 16pts playing big mins. Kubalik had 14pts in 33 games in his rookie year before an injury mostly ended his season. Halak has a 16-10-1 record with a .907 save percentage. Carr, Jokipakka, Copp are doing their jobs in depth roles.
C: C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, LW Nikolai Prokhorkin, LD Artyom Zub, RD Adam Boqvist, LD Brendan Dillon, RW Blake Comeau
Notes: Big off-season acquisition RNH has not been the force expected with just 28pts in 39 games. Needs to be more consistent. Prokhorkin and Zub have been really up and down in their sophmore years with just 22pts for Proks and a -9 rating from Zub, albeit Zub does have 17pts in 41 games compared to 13pts in 68 for him last year. Boqvist has improved as season went on, but more than 13pts in 39 games was expected. Dillon and Comeau just ok in depth roles.
D: C Marek Hrivik, C Carl Soderberg, C Ryan Carpenter, G Jimmy Howard
Notes: Hrivik has bounced around the lineup as he has failed to find a role this year. At times a healthy scratch he has 6pts in 3 games since moving to RW to after starting with just 14pts in 31games. Soderberg has just 1 goal in 39 games. Carpenter is struggling to get in lineup and has appeared in just 9 games, spending the rest as a healthy scratch. Howard has not been good since losing starting spot, with a 3-7-4 record and just one win his last 5 appearances. Has just a .901 save percentage.
F: NONE
Incomplete: RW Matt Gaudreau and LD Jimmy Schuldt
have replaced Kubalik and Brickley on roster respectively but Gaudreau hasn't played and Schuldt has just 2 games.

Around NHL: Ryan Johansen (53pts), Auston Matthews (51pts), Alexander Ovechkin (48pts), Jack Eichel (48pts), Clayton Keller (47pts) are leading the league in points. John Carlson (36pts), Kris Letang (35pts), Rasmus Ristolainen (33pts) lead defense. Braden Holtby (.926), Matt Murray (.925), Jonathan Quick (.924) lead the goalies. Vladimir Tkachyov's 34pts leads all rookies but #2 overall Chicago pick Andrei Svechnikov is right behind at 30 with no others above 20. Avalanche and Lightning lead their conferences right now. Of note, 9th in the East Ottawa has 52 points, which would be 3rd in the West in terms of points.

Rumour Mill Press Conference:
Kraken GM Holden Caulfield held his mid-season press conference to talk about the direction of the team. Sitting just 4 points out of a the playoffs he said the team has not decided how they will play the deadline. However did confirm pending UFA's Jimmy Howard and Ryan Carpenter will be looked at to be moved with one team already expressing an interest in Carpenter. Caulfield did mention he liked the improved depth on farm team this year with newcomers Commisso, Tonge, Halbgewachs, Gross having solid seasons and is seeing improvement from Moore and Ahcan. He mentioned Stephane Dhillon is tearing up ECHL and team will look at options to move him up this season or next. Both current AHL goalies are over 25 and pending UFA's.

World Junior Report:
Four Kraken players were named to their respective WJC rosters. LD Danila Zhuravlyov (RUS, 3rd round 2018), LW Philipp Kurashev (SUI, 2nd Round 2018), RW Dominik Bokk (GER, 3rd Round 2018) and RW Martin Pospisil (SVK, 5th Round 2018) all made it. Zhuravlyov struggled despite Russia winning bronze, getting just 1 assist and going -5 in 7 games. Germany managed to make the quarter-finals, but Bokk did struggle somewhat as well getting just 2 goals in 5 games going -4. Kurashev got only 2 goals as well in 6 games, but did help Switzerland avoid relegation. Perhaps the best performer was Pospisil who got 3goals, 6pts in 6 games for the Slovaks, but he was unable to stop Slovakia from being relegated for the first time since the countries formation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad