Dustin Byfuglien Throws 6 Punches At AJ Greer While Down

Apocalypse Dude

"Value"
Jul 25, 2012
Nova Scotia
Honestly Buff was just mad Greer made him look bad when he fell and decided to be a huge piece of trash to prove his manliness. If you could remove yourself from your fandom maybe you could see this for what it was- an inexcusable act. You don't hit people when they are down doesn't matter how hurt your ego is. The fact that this is being justified is a perfect example of how easy it is for people to get caught up in the moment.

Don't you see the irony of this statement? If someone goes after your captain in a game thats pretty well over its not surprising that someone gets caught up in the moment sticking up for him

Reactions: bennylundholm

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
What did Greer do that was so bad? Admittedly I didn’t pore over the tape but I did watch it and nothing really stuck out. Is Greer an agitator? Don’t even know who he is. But the big guy really went all roid rage.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Don't you see the irony of this statement? If someone goes after your captain in a game thats pretty well over its not surprising that someone gets caught up in the moment sticking up for him
I'm not sure you read that right. I wasn't referring to Buff just the people trying to justify something that is morally wrong just because Greer did something that while it may be arguably wrong, it's not the same as trying to injure someone who is defenseless and in a position where they can't stick up for themselves.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I loved it. Greer took a run at Wheeler. Doing his job. Buff did his. Fight for your captain and leader. That's a lesson for anyone else that tries to hurt the Jets stars for being better than them. Could get hurt. Bad. Buff smiling and singing along for 17 minutes in the box afterwards was classic.

Apocalypse Dude

"Value"
Jul 25, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'm not sure you read that right. I wasn't referring to Buff just the people trying to justify something that is morally wrong just because Greer did something that while it may be arguably wrong, it's not the same as trying to injure someone who is defenseless and in a position where they can't stick up for themselves.

I read it right and I kinda get what you're saying but saying its morally wrong is going too far. Buff was mad (which is understandable, the game was over) and he threw a few extra punches.

I just dont understand how you can say that one thing was definitely wrong (and that Buff was trying to hurt him) while the other one is arguable. Everything happens so fast

IndustryLeech

Jan 23, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
Greer tries to start something with one of WPG's best skill players, Wheeler, cross checking him in the back repeatedly. Buff teaches him what you do, and don't, do. That's the way things should work.

Maybe if Peluso starts cross messing with Mackinnon next time then CO fans will have a different view of the situation.

Fan of neither team, BTW.

This argument is utter nonsense. If a Colorado player punched an opposing player while he was on the ice and immobilized by a lineman you'd see most Colorado fans condemn the act just as they are Buff's meathead behavior.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What did Greer do that was so bad? Admittedly I didn’t pore over the tape but I did watch it and nothing really stuck out. Is Greer an agitator? Don’t even know who he is. But the big guy really went all roid rage.

It's a 4-0 game for the Jets with 30 seconds left in the period. Jets' first line is out against Avalanche's 4th line and Greer tries to start shit with Wheeler at the face-off, pushing his buttons and cross-checking him. Play continues and before Wheeler can respond, Buff comes in and settles things emphatically to say the least.

The takeaway here is basically both players got what they deserved for boneheaded plays. Buff gladly takes the extra penalty minutes to send a message that that shit isn't going to fly tonight or any other night.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I read it right and I kinda get what you're saying but saying its morally wrong is going too far. Buff was mad (which is understandable, the game was over) and he threw a few extra punches.

I just dont understand how you can say that one thing was definitely wrong (and that Buff was trying to hurt him) while the other one is arguable. Everything happens so fast

Everything does happen fast and obviously I am biased here but the important distinction imo is that Wheeler was not defenseless, Greer was. Greer definitely plays with an edge and very likely was trying to be a bit of a disturber but I'm not sure what he did is that out of line as agitation and crosschecks are part of the game. Now if Greer had have tried to injure Wheeler than I could understand losing that level of control but I still think that you can't do things like Byfuglien did because it sets a dangerous precedent.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
What did Greer do that was so bad? Admittedly I didn’t pore over the tape but I did watch it and nothing really stuck out. Is Greer an agitator?

A wanna-be agitator. Big but not skilled enough to play any other role at the NHL level. After the Av's go down 4-0 he starts challenging Wheeler to fight off the face-off, Wheeler declines so Greer follows him around slashing and crosschecking him to draw him into one. Buff confronts him and Greer backs down, then goes right back to hacking at Wheeler which is where the video linked earlier picked up.

It's pretty standard for bottom line "energy" players to go out and try to fight to wake up their team, but you don't go after the other teams star players. Even if they can handle themselves you don't want your star players injured. (Despite his height Wheeler has never been a fighter, he had something like 2 career fights prior to becoming Jets Captain. He's had a couple more since then sticking up for younger teammates but he's definitely not a fighter)

Also wtf with the avs fans trying to argue "Wheeler isn't a star". Since the start of the 2015 season Wheeler has 216 points in 222 games, that's good for 4th in the NHL over that span and a full 50 points more than MacKinnon has.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
A wanna-be agitator. Big but not skilled enough to play any other role at the NHL level. After the Av's go down 4-0 he starts challenging Wheeler to fight off the face-off, Wheeler declines so Greer follows him around slashing and crosschecking him to draw him into one. Buff confronts him and Greer backs down, then goes right back to hacking at Wheeler which is where the video linked earlier picked up.

It's pretty standard for bottom line "energy" players to go out and try to fight to wake up their team, but you don't go after the other teams star players. Even if they can handle themselves you don't want your star players injured. (Despite his height Wheeler has never been a fighter, he had something like 2 career fights prior to becoming Jets Captain. He's had a couple more since then sticking up for younger teammates but he's definitely not a fighter)

Also wtf with the avs fans trying to argue "Wheeler isn't a star". Since the start of the 2015 season Wheeler has 216 points in 222 games, that's good for 4th in the NHL over that span and a full 50 points more than MacKinnon has.

Great point. At least Greer rated Wheeler higher than how he is generally perceived in HF, practically by everyone here.

That Buffy rates Wheeler high isn't any kind mystery. That high it doesn't cause much pain to sacrifice his hides for the star and The Captain.

Instincts

Jan 11, 2012
Come on boyz and girlz make it 30 pages please. I still got some of this pop-corn left :popcorn:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Looked like the punches while he was down would have been hitting the helmet.
Buff probably took more damage from those then the "victim" did.
Buff rarely fights. Most people not named Ryan Reeves are smart enough to stay away.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
That Buffy rates Wheeler high isn't any kind mystery. That high it doesn't cause much pain to sacrifice his hides for the star and The Captain.

We don't really want Buff doing that either, he's our top RHD until Trouba gets back. You still have to love it when players stick up for their teammates even if they are not the ideal guy to be doing it.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Probelm is that little shove and tap off the faceoff doesn't qualify as a need to stick up for a teammate, and what Buff did went way above and beyond sticking up for a teammate. Buff does worse than what Greer did almost every single game.
Greer got a licking what he deserved.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Greer went after the Jets top player and captain. You don't do that without expecting to be taught a lesson.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
So, the NHL player safety rules no suspension! Just as many posters have been saying on here!
The reality is the NHL does not want fourth line goons going after the opposition's leading scorer/captain! You simply rarely see that happen. If you want to stir something up go after another fighter of fourth liner. Buff was penalized for beating him up, end of story.
If there had been a suspension, I would be the first to accept the experts decision. But I'm sure there will be many on here, who don't get it, continue to argue against it.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
dont punch someone when they are down. simple. pos thing to do. somehow this big fat **** is above the game/code?

I love Wendel...and I love what he did here.

And you know what else? Bob Brooke was fine. He was fine because he's not made of tissue paper like some of the posters in this thread. But he certainly didn't pick fights with Wendel again.

Message sent.

Come at me bro.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad